Wesley Enhanced Living at Stapeley - Philadelphia, PA

Less than 10 miles from the urban vitality of Center City and located within the historically and culturally rich enclave of Northwest Philadelphia, Wesley Enhanced Living at Stapeley offers personal care services in private accommodations within a beautiful, historic building. A complete range of amenities and services enrich daily living, including a full schedule of programs and three, freshly prepared meals each day in our personal care community

Not taking care of the residents!

We took the tour of the community and the lady that gave the tour was absolutely fantastic and very professional. We just did not like what we had saw. The place was a dump. The residents were filthy dirty and one of the residents that kept coming to us looked like she has not been changed in 2 months and her hair not been combed in about the same time. Also we did not like that they do not offer any programs for the residents.

Julie Flanagan

Thank you for touring our community.
Thank you for sharing this perspective of your tour. At Wesley Enhanced Living at Stapeley, our focus is on providing person-centered care where the needs and preferences of all Residents are addressed on an individual basis. We are constantly evaluating our processes and Team Members to assist us in ensuring the best possible outcomes from both a clinical and a personal needs perspective . Thank you for your feedback and opinion.

I Did Not Like the Rooms

I had a tour to see what it was like. They were good at showing me around the community and it was a small building that looked old. I was shown a room and I did not like the way the room was.

Julie Flanagan

Thank you for touring our community. Our community was built in 1904 and we have always been a community for seniors. Stapeley has 2 large buildings ( Stapeley Hall and Stapeley West) connected by a Bridge and covers approx. 8 acres of land/ grounds. ( you may have only gotten to see the Stapeley Hall building during your tour). We had a community wide renovations about 2 years ago and continue to do upgrades throughout the community each year. Each and every one of our personal care rooms are unique in sizes and shapes since we are an older building. Many visitors enjoy the charm of our community since it is reminiscent of a "Bed & Breakfast". At this time we have limited availability, so you may have only had the opportunity to see one of current open rooms that may not have been the style/size you are looking for for your family member. Thank you again for touring and we wish you all the best in your search for your family member.

Yea!

I am continually amazed at how gracious all the residents and staff are---no matter how much pressure they may be under, they are always ready to be helpful if needed.

[Removed] is marvelous!

[Removed]

Julie Flanagan

Thank you for your feedback! We are very lucky to have amazing residents and staff here at Stapeley!

I wasn't happy with my tour of Stapely.

I wasn't happy with my tour of Stapely. We didn't like the facility. We toured both the assisted living and the nursing home. The nursing home seemed as though the people were warehoused. It was clean but the atmosphere was awful. It was not even a place I would consider, it didn't seem like a very pleasant place.

Julie Flanagan

Thank you for sharing this perspective of your tour. I am not exactly sure which area you toured ( our Personal Care and Memory Care areas or our Skilled Nursing facility and Rehab since each of those areas are different care levels for individuals). At Wesley Enhanced Living at Stapeley, our focus is on providing person-centered care where the needs and preferences of all Residents are addressed on an individual basis. We are constantly evaluating our processes and Team Members to assist us in ensuring the best possible outcomes from both a clinical and a personal needs perspective . Thank you for your feedback and opinion.

A New Beginning

Our family has been so pleased at Mom's move and adjustment at Stapley. The facility is managed well and the staff is diligent about taking care of the needs of the residents. There is an atmosphere of care here and an effort to create a home environment with many social, creative, spiritual,and culinary choices.

Mom's life is fuller and richer since coming here. In summary this transition had been a blessing for us all.

Julie Flanagan

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your kind words! :-)

WHY I CHOSE STAPELEY

My wife of 53 years, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease about five years ago. She recently became a resident of Stapeley. She resides in a spacious, sunny room in the newly renovated wing devoted to Alzheimer's residents.

After visiting six Alzheimer's care facilities, I chose Stapeley for her because of the cleanliness of the facility, the staff interaction with the residents and families, the variety of activities available, and the cost. Because I do not drive, I found Stapeley reasonably convenient to public transportation.

Stapeley's staff has been very prompt in answering my email comments and questions. They helped ease the way through this very stressful period in our family's life.

Julie Flanagan

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your kind words! :-)

Sad,Mad and Disappointed

This facility is clean and pretty well maintained, but the some of the nurses , CNA,s and the director of nurses are very uncaring people. My relative was at this location for a couple years and has many injuries, UTI,s and bruises of unknown sources on her body. My family and I , kept our loved one , here because it was conviently located for us to come see about them. They had visitors almost every day. When they first entered the facility, the staff was a mature, caring and well trained, experienced staff. As time went on, they kept firing the good people and bringing in uncaring, ignorant people with no compassion for the residents. On any given day when I entered the facility, people would be hanging off of the wheel chairs, or calling for a nurse and they were right in front of them and would not assist them. My family member is total care, can do nothing for themselves and the injuries they got here , no one would own up to. There are a hand full of good people on staff here and I wont name them , but this place needs a good shakedown. I don't recommend putting anybody here that can't speak for themselves . If they have Alzheimer's or dementia , they think they can get away with doing anything to them. The present director of nursing feels no empathy for the residents and defends her CNA,s even when it is obvious , someone did something wrong. I chose to move my relative somewhere else, because i fear , they may be injured again .

Julie Flanagan

Thank you for sharing this perspective of your Mother’s care. At Wesley Enhanced Living at Stapeley, our focus is on providing person-centered care where the needs and preferences of all Residents are addressed on an individual basis. We are constantly evaluating our processes and Team Members to assist us in ensuring the best possible outcomes from both a clinical and a personal needs perspective .

Just the right amount of support for our mother

Our family has been very happy with Wesley Enhanced Living at Stapeley. Our mother moved to the Germantown property about 18 months ago after illness and a rehab stay in a nursing home. We were concerned with her frail physical condition and confused state of mind and realized our independent mother would not be able to go back to her apartment. Stapeley offered a wonderful option. She could stay in the neighborhood where the family could easily visit and she would be in familiar surroundings.

We liked the range of residential options and the friendliness and knowledge of the staff. They really helped us understand what she was going through and how best to support her. They remain an invaluable resource to the family, and gentle, respectful caretakers of the residents. Best of all was seeing her gain strength, weight and vitality. Our family is so appreciative of Stapeley's cheerful and capable staff and homey residential environment.

A good move

I transferred my great aunt to Stapeley from a nursing home in Manhattan. I was appalled by the conditions and treatment she received in Manhattan- she was malnourished and neglected. Since coming to Stapeley, she has gained over 20 pounds and moved UP a level in care, from skilled nursing to assisted living/personal care. Her improvement is due to the committed and caring staff that ensured her needs were met and didn’t give up on her just because she is in her 90s. We are grateful to have found Stapeley.

I transferred my great aunt to Stapeley from a nursing home in Manhattan. I was appalled by the conditions and treatment she received in Manhattan- she was malnourished and neglected. Since coming to Stapeley, she has gained over 20 pounds and moved UP a level in care, from skilled nursing to assisted living/personal care. Her improvement is due to the committed and caring staff that ensured her needs were met and didn’t give up on her just because she is in her 90s. There was room for improvement and she is having a better quality of life now than she has had in years. We are grateful to have found Stapeley.

Good place for personal or dementia care.

The staff is excellent - everyone I've met demonstrates knowledge, concern, patience and kindness. The facility is comfortable and clean. Attention is given to individual needs.
The food service could stand an upgrade, but it is in the adequate to good range, and the residents are able to choose from a reasonable number of options.

I have had a great experience at stapley. Right from the first experience of talking with Julie Flannigan on the phone I have felt at ease with my father staying there. They describe Stapley as a Bed and Breakfast atmosphere...I would definitely agree with that. They have become like an extended family and believe that they treat my father as they would their family.

Mom's New Home!

My Mom entered the Stapley through the skilled facility, while there recuperating from a fracutred pelvis her needs were met the staff was both very helpful and friendly. During this time it became apparent the Mom was going to need to find a place with assisted living, I spoke to Julie Flanagan and the nursing staff and was impressed with their care and concern for the residents. I discussed the issue of entering assisted living with Mom and we made the decision to stay at Stapley and have been happy with our discision ever since that moment in time.

A Family Member's Experience with Stapeley Enhanced Living

My mother age 95 was still living alone when she fell and was found dazed by a daily caregiver we had coming into her home. At the hospital, it was discovered that she had a mild heart attack, and dehydrated. The recommendation was to go to Stapeley's Nursing Home wing for rehabilitation. The staff were great. They handled my feisty mother (who was not happy she was not going home) very well. They increased her physical and cardiac strength all of which made her more mobile and independent. The staff were instrumental in helping the family decide that mom needed more supervision. My mother reluctantly agreed to a stay in the Assisted Living portion of the facility.
Stapeley Assisted Living on Greene St. is an urban center in Germantown Pa. The building is well maintained. Much of the original handcrafted oak woodworking remains giving the building a warm feeling. The staff are friendly, cheerful and helpful to both visitors and residents. She can have as much or as little help as she wants. Medical appointments at the facility are monthly for my mom whereas before she would miss medical appointments because of transportation or low motivation to leave the house. She has made some new friends and old friends from the neighborhood can still come by since Stapeley is only 15 minutes from where my mother lived prior to her heart attack.
There resident’s population is varied. Some people have mild to moderate dementia but still can get along with some assistance like my mom. Others have physical problems. My mom has made some friendships. The other residents look out for each other and help each other out. The family feels better knowing that there is 24 hour supervision.
My brother, sister and I all live out of state, so we rely on Stapley to provide the care we might provide if we lived closer. In all our family is very happy with the care our mother is getting.
I work as a neuropsychologist and conducted evaluations in hospitals, nursing home and assisted living facilities. I would place Stapeley Assisted Living in the top 20% of urban facilities that I have been in.

A place and community I appreciate!

I have had excellent experiences with Stapeley, from initial contact with the Marketing Director, Julie Flanagan, repeated visits with parishioners contemplating a move into senior housing, to move-in and day-to-day life. When issues have arisen, they have been addressed speedily and positively with respect to the resident(s), and in a respectful, professional manner with the staff. I have found the atmosphere overall, to be positive, collegial, caring and competent at every level, and the residents upbeat and glad to live there. I would gladly (and do!) recommend Stapeley to friends and parishioners planning (in the near or longer-term) a move into an affordable environment which can be as supportive as needed, while encouraging, appreciating, and respecting the residents as "veteran" adults, who have lived long, and learned much.

Great Facility

My mom has been in Wesley for almost two years now. Our experience has been great. The staff at Wesley is terrific. Julie Flangan is a great asset to the Wesley family. She is always smiling, knows her residents names and is a very effective administrator. Kathy Baptiste is another administrator that does a great job. She as well knows her patients and keeps them their well being top priority. The activities provided by Wesley are well thought out and good for the residents. Picture day was a great example. All who participated were happy and seemed to feel good about themselves. The staff in general is always very helpful and take good care of their patients. I am so grateful I found your facility for my mom. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an assisted living facility.

A Caring Place-- Stapeley

Our mother has been at Stapely in the assisted living department since November 2014. She was lonely and homesick for her home in the beginning but everyone there was very kind to her. She sometimes got snappy with people and raised her voice but people remained kind. Julie Flanagan, the person in charge, took time to visit her and connected with her as two girls brought up in the same church. Julie communicated with our family and kept us informed. We have a companion visiting my mom to take her out to movies and her familiar places and friends. This companion emails us several times a week and has nothing but good things to say about Stapely. She says the following: It's clean, they have lots of activities, the staff works hard and everyone is nice-- clients and workers. I've seen it myself when I flew back in Nov, March, and May. Several different staff people greeted my mother by name when we were together. It was "Hi Miss Gladys" all over the place! My mother is happy there now. She has friends that come by and get her and they go to exercise and activities together. I've been on the phone with my mom and I've heard a Staff person knock on her door to remind her of a class coming up. She loves the beautiful garden and the views from her room and the dining room. It's beautiful in the spring with the dogwoods! I'm happy my mother is there because it's a very caring place

A wonderful and safe place for a loved one!

My mother has lived at Wesley Enhanced Living at Stapeley for the past three years. Her care has been exemplary. The staff takes a great interest in each resident's well being. In particular, Julie Flanagan, the Sales and Marketing Manager at the facility, is a daily presence on the floor to ensure that my mother's needs are met. She communicates with me any concerns that may arise, and they are quickly addressed.
Although I live out of state, I sleep well at night knowing that my mother is happy and safe.
JC

A Caring Place-- Stapeley

Our mother has been at Stapely in the assisted living department since November 2014. She was lonely and homesick for her home in the beginning but everyone there was very kind to her. She sometimes got snappy with people and raised her voice but people remained kind. Julie [last name removed], the person in charge, took time to visit her and connected with her as two girls brought up in the same church. Julie communicated with our family and kept us informed. We have a companion visiting my mom to take her out to movies and her familiar places and friends. This companion emails us several times a week and has nothing but good things to say about Stapely. She says the following: It's clean, they have lots of activities, the staff works hard and everyone is nice-- clients and workers. I've seen it myself when I flew back in Nov, March, and May. Several different staff people greeted my mother by name when we were together. It was "Hi Miss Gladys" all over the place! My mother is happy there now. She has friends that come by and get her and they go to exercise and activities together. I've been on the phone with my mom and I've heard a Staff person knock on her door to remind her of a class coming up. She loves the beautiful garden and the views from her room and the dining room. It's beautiful in the spring with the dogwoods! I'm happy my mother is there because it's a very caring place

Horrible facility.

Horrible experience. I requested a sit down conversation about the facility. During the phone conversation all they cared about was if I would be responsible for any excess expenses resulting from my love's stay. We finally made an appointment. She later emailed me and stated that the assessor cancelled the appointment. Then, I ask if I can still come in to look around and the admission coordinator stated that she made an appointment with her son's school ...so she would not be available. She kept saying that she did not want to waste my time. She continued to try and discourage me from seeing the facility. Julie assumed she knew the extent of my sister 's income. Horrible place...horrible staff.

Julie Flanagan

Due to some miscommunication and a misunderstanding on both parties, we did reach out again to this family to provide them with additional follow up information with their specific circumstances. We pride ourselves at Stapeley in providing excellent customer service to all who inquire about our community and apologized to this family for the misunderstanding in the communications. We wish this family the best in their search for their family members. Thank you.

Reasonable Price and Friendly Staff

We looked at many places before choosing Stapeley. We chose it because of its reasonable price and friendly staff. There are lots of activities particularly music ones which my mother greatly enjoys. Though my mother would still prefer to be in her own apartment, I am relieved that she is getting competent care and greater security.

Independent living comfy for my mother

We just moved my 87 year old Mom into Stapely independent living and she's happily settling into life there. My mom is quite fussy and the staff has been patiently fixing everything to her specifications. The apartment is very clean and up-to-date. The building is also very clean and nice. The dining room is beautifully furnished but the chairs are quite heavy and could use wheels for the older folks to move easier - I see them struggling with them at dinner (small point, these things are important when the meal is a central focus of your day.) The serving staff is very nice and accommodating - wonderful people. I give special thanks to the sales manager for making my mother comfortable during the move. The food is on the whole good institutional food - they should try and cook the vegetables a little less. The chef probably knows this and tries his best, just mentioning it. I am not speaking about any of the levels of care - I don't know about them - just independent living - it works for my mother.

Welcomed care and personal attention!

My father joined the WEL Stapeley community just before Thanksgiving 2014. We moved him to Stapeley from a nearby care community because of the full and comprehensive range of care (personal care, memory care & skilled care) offered on a self contained campus. He was immediately welcomed by the care team and provided consistent and quality care and attention since his first day. Our family is very pleased with all aspects of Stapeley. We appreciate the professionalism of the staff and their friendly way with our father and family. He is a resident in the memory unit that is well attended and provides a very personal level of engagement in an intimate setting. With his dementia we worried about the change in environment however, the team at Stapeley assured us that they would help him as much as they could with the transition. And they have done just as they promised to do. We all feel welcomed and cared for at Stapeley.

Independent Living & Assisted Living Review

My sister started her experience with Stapeley in Independent Living several years ago. She has severe arthritis and memory challenges and it was clear she needed to make changes in her lifestyle though she was resistant to any changes initially. We looked at other facilities but none fit her better than Stapeley. From the start my sister simply 'liked the place and the people'. A big part of our choice this was Julie, the sales coordinator who assisted with the entire process in a personalized, professional and friendly manner, she really listened to our needs and concerns.

Recently, my sister fell and we decided she needed to move to Assisted Living, again, Julie was there every step of the way and helped make it as seamless a process as possible. In addition, the place is clean and cheerful, the food is good and the staff is welcoming. I recently spent 4 days onsite visiting my sister, eating lunches and dinners, talking to the staff and participating in interesting and interactive activities. My family and I remain happy with our choice and are confident she is receiving good care, the best part is my sister is happy as well.

Not a typical retirement community

My father has been at Stapeley since the end of July 2014. He was first in skilled nursing/short-term rehabilitation. He is now a resident in a personal care apartment. Stapeley is a true community. The staff is well-trained, concerned, dedicated, and friendly. The residents in personal care represent a real cross-section of life experiences. There are many appealing activities and programs. Having visited my father in other facilities, I can say that Stapeley is miles ahead in terms of staff, care, physical plant, and other residents. Rather than the pseudo country club atmosphere at so many retirement communities, Stapeley feels real--comfortable and casual, but with an experienced, caring staff who work together to make the residents comfortable, also safe and sound.

An easy transition into a lovely living arrangement with highly trained and attentive staff.

I am a long term resident of Germantown, in Philadelphia, and live near Stapeley - so I have appreciated it's presence and beauty in our neighborhood for years. Then my mother decided to move there from Ohio so I experienced the Stapeley services directly. From the beginning, the staff were extremely helpful. My family was inexperienced in managing this kind of transition and the staff seemed to anticipate our questions and needs. My mother chose a one-bedroom, independent living apartment; was welcomed warmly; and soon found herself comfortably adjusting to the new routine and community. And what a community! There are interesting people, a diversity of activities, lovely surroundings, and attentive staff for any needs a resident may have. The grounds are very well maintained and pretty; she likes walking in the gardens or just admiring them from her apartment balcony. My mother, our family, and I are very happy to have Stapeley in our lives!

Be Careful

Stapeley is likely to be a good place for people over 70 or 75 who have Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia. It is not a good place for those who might have a challenge in making a transition from home to a memory care unit. The staff is not trained or prepared for challenges like that and does not deal well with them.

Wonderful and Cozy-- A great place

Stapeley is a wonderful place. From the minute we toured with the sales manager, who went out of her way to do whatever we needed, to meeting the staff in the personal care area- to us coming in for meals with my mom in the dining area--- we have had a wonderful experience. I recommend Stapeley for it's warm caring environment, cozy feeling , caring staff, very kind residents. It really is a wonderful place that makes my mom happy she made this decision to move there.

A Reasonable Place To Be

The skilled nursing section is sketchy. There are questions about how many staff members are there and if there's really enough. Maybe that's just a problem that occurred while we were there but I think it could be a little better.

We chose it for location's sake. It's close to my in-laws' old neighborhood and the church that they attend so the local made some things easier. I would not use them again for my in-laws but maybe for someone else. My mother-in-law is still there but she is not settled on if she's staying. She wants to be with her family. It's not home for her.

From the outside looking in it's not an unreasonable place to be. I think the price is reasonable and you get a lot for the price. I would and have recommended it to others. My mother-in-law's sister and brother-in-law moved in and they're quite pleased with Stapeley.

Wesley Enhanced Living at Stapeley

We are very pleased with Wesley Enhanced Living. The administration and staff have been wonderful. They made the adjustment period as easy as they could for not only my Mother but myself as well. My Mom has been there almost three months and is adjusting very well. She is happy and well cared for by the incredible staff. I toured a number of other facilities and this was the best by far!

This place was nice too, bu...

This place was nice too, but very old looking. Rooms are nice and clean. People was friendly. Was not to happy about the set up. Community Fee are very high. Monthly rate are high too. Room come in small, medium, Large. Levels of care is different too.

We took a tour and spoke with the dir...

We took a tour and spoke with the director. I was pleased with the facility.

She took to Stapeley right away. She ...

She took to Stapeley right away. She met several residents and they were talked before the residents went to lunch. She loved her room and the activities that are planned.