McCallum Assisted Life - Philadelphia, PA

This is really a boarding home. No heat controls or alert systems in rooms. Dark and depressing. No activities to speak of. Emphasis on "independence."

[name removed], the tour guide, was wonderful. Very helpful.The grounds are pretty, however the house itself is in need of updating. The interior is dark and dismal. There was a pervasive odor of urine that so strong, I took a shower immediately after leaving. Staff were not engaging with the residents. Residents were not engaged in any activities or communicating with each other. No resident smiled, or talked about their home. My overall impression was that they were not very happy to be there. McCallum seems more like a recovery facility. Not a place to call home.

The first things that I noticed were the darkness of the entryway, the entrance was not secured, and the smell. I believe I went through an open doorway to reach a well lit nurses station where I learned that the person who was to conduct the tour took the day off. I did not reschedule. I would rate this place a zero if that option was available.

peretz John Shiloh

We are sorry and surprised to read your comments and impression of our community and would like to address the issues which you mentioned:

1. The front entrance and lobby is dark when the lights are dimmed or not turned on. The residents often prefer it that way and turn the lights off to provide a more serene atmosphere devoid of bright lights so that they can relax and listen to music.
2. We are an open personal care community, not a locked facility such as a nursing home. As such, all residents and their visitors are free to come and go as they please. For safety, we do have 24 hour staff and full security, including continuous video surveillance.
3. We take tremendous pride in the neatness and cleanliness of our building. We have absolutely no foul odors (unless an accident just happened).
4. On this particular day there was no tour scheduled for the community so the person who conducts our tours was at another one of our communities.

Very nce place

My sister moved into McCallum Assisted Living this summer. She is very happy there. All of the staff are very friendly and helpful. The neighborhood is also very nice and quiet.

A Place for Dad...Just the RIGHT Place

McCallum Assisted Life provides a good balance of support, structure and encouragement alongside freedom to explore new things and make friends on your own. Those who call it "home" have all the comforts of home, with the added freedom of relieving their family members of care-giving burdens that can become "just too much". It's not fancy, but it's excellent, warm and caring.

Great place!

I think McCallum Assisted Life is a very nice place! I liked it so much that when I was looking into assisted living for a loved one I moved in here myself! It's clean, well kept, and just has a very homey comfortable atmopshere. The employees are warm and friendly, and there are activities every day! I really like it!

Depressing

I didn't even know we had things in this neighborhood so I went to see it and it was the most depressing thing. Apparently they don't accept any public money so you have to pay $3000 for a room and most of them are doubles. They have a separate floor for people who have mental illnesses. About 35% were veterans from previous wars and I thought they probably have post traumatic stress. I didn't get a good feeling when I went there so I eliminated that entirely.

The person who took me around was very sweet but I was very uncomfortable. I didn't like the fact that there wasn't very much choice of rooms. I spoke to a resident who is Jewish, as am I, and she said once a week a rabbi comes.

looks like bedroom and bath.

looks like bedroom and bath.

This might be a last option. Nice ne...

This might be a last option. Nice neighborhood.

McCallum Assisted Living is a personal care facility dedicated to assisting residents with physical, mental and emotional needs. Skilled staff provides continuous personal care.