Vista Del Monte - Santa Barbara, CA

Going downhill

My mom started in an independent apartment and had to move to assisted living. I can only visit a few times per year and each time she has so many needs that haven't been met. I get almost zero communication unless there is a medical emergency or I call and call to find someone who can fill me in. The only number you can call is the health clinic, you can't reach the care givers directly. It seems there has been a lot of turnover recently in staff, and not for the better. They seem to be running a bare bones operation now. It was a great place when my mom was able to participate in all the activities independently, but now that she needs more help it doesn't seem anyone is on top of things to see she is getting the attention she needs. I would like to move her closer to me, but that would be too stressful for her now. This place might be good if you can stop in often to make sure everything is going okay, or hire someone to check on your relative every week. For what they charge that shouldn't be necessary.

Nice Place

Vista Del Monte is also really nice. At the time that we were looking, they didn't have openings for independent living. We thought about it again when my dad needed more care, but it is very expensive.

All Levels of Care

They are very good but they are more expensive. My parents chose it years ago. First they went to the independent living and then the assisted living and then my father went in to the skilled nursing. They have all three levels of care so that is something we really liked about them. They do a good job of staying on top of what the residents need. Sometimes my mother is not satisfied with the food but it's hard to please everyone all the time with the food. I think some of the staff there, a small percentage, need more training on working with the elderly. Most of them are very good though. And that's probably the case for any facility - you can't have 100% good staff. The skilled nursing would not be a 5, maybe a 4 at the most. Sometimes it took a while to get what my father needed whether that was their response time to his call button or actually getting the doctor in to see him.