ask pointed questions and visit by anonymous walk through and talk to residents.

During power outages there is no generator to operate the following:

emergency lights in the hallways do not work, many have dead batteries and there is no regular maintenance done to check them.

pull cords in the bedrooms and bathrooms will not work during power outages. (emergency and fire)

oxygen use may be in jeopardy if the user doesn't have a cell phone to contact their supplier for emergency refills.

Because the facility is independent living, the management states that they are not responsible to provide emergency services for the residents.

During power outages in the summer the heat can reach over 120 degrees in the residents' apartments. Winter can get very cold as well, during outages.

The once beautiful gardens and water fountain have been neglected in the last few years. No water in the fountain and residents are responsible to care for the planters and gardens, if they want them to thrive.

The availability of the facility's bus service has been greatly reduced leaving the burden of transportation on the residents.

Thermostats were replaced a few years ago and have stumped both residents and maintenance personnel. The inability to program the 'new' thermostats had resulted in several lucky residents receiving the old ones back.

We wish we would have known these things before moving in. Beware of slick advertising and outdated pretty pictures.

Don’t send anyone you care about here !!

I don’t have anything good to say.
They advertise a world class chef and the food is terrible. So you might think “ we’ll then it’s probably clean and we’ll kept “ unfortunately that is also not the case. The building needs repairs and the carpet is filthy.

What a shame since the building has such a great history.

No medical assistance on sight. Wrong information given

This is an apartment community. The information listed is incorrect. [Removed] does not employee any medical staff. If you want and/or need medical assistance you must hire it yourself to come to your apartment. They do have a wide selection of activities for the residents to participate in. They are close to the bus line, so if you don't drive you can take the city transit into town to enjoy what Grand Rapids has to offer.

Not right!

We took the tour of this community and we did like it. We got to see a lot of the residents out and doing things in the community. My husband just did not think that this was the best community for mom.

Not to happy

They've been infested with bed bugs and don't think it's right to notify the staff or residents about the situation. They made someone who has serious health issues sit in there home for two weeks with the bed bugs before they came to get rid of them its disgusting and a health hazard to all elderly who's living there.

Overall we are happy...

Overall we are happy with the Villa Maria. I'm just not happy that her garbage disposal has been working. They were suppose to put in a cable box but it hasn't happened yet. Trying to get things done around there is impossible. I'm happy with the place overall. I just wished they would follow through with things that are promised. Other than that, It's a really nice community. It's very clean and everyone is friendly.

It had value and character.

It had value and character. It was big for the money. I did not have a meal or engage in an activities. I liked that the menu had varied food options, and that you could get a 2 bedroom for a great price. The staff and residents had great attitudes. I liked that it was close to home and work and had a comfortable and welcoming feeling, with beautiful stained glass and grounds.

Very nice place!

They're doing an excellent job at Villa Maria, we'd give them top marks across the board! Everything they do here they do well! The facility itself is clean and well kept, the staff are all very friendly, they have plenty of activities, and the food is good! This was the first place we toured, and we knew it was the one from the moment we saw it. We would highly recommend this place to anyone else who is looking.

My mom is happy

My mom's been there for 3 weeks and so far everything's good. She's happy there. The staff is most excellent and I'm pleased. My mom is not taking advantage of the care services at he moment but they are available and that's one of the reasosn we chose Villa Maria. She is taking advantage of a lot of the activities. She does exercise classes, shopping trips, church services - she keeps busy and I'm sure she'll do more as time goes on. She lost 10 pounds and is eating a lot better.

No, too independent

No, too independent

Loved the tour. Coordinator was not ...

Loved the tour. Coordinator was not pushy, but sat and listened. Facility was beautiful but felt very much like a home. There were lots of people around doing lots of activities.