Aurora Pond - Grand Rapids, MI

This is a nice community for my mom. She likes the community. The menu needs some improvements. We like knowing that the community and she like being able to participate in some of the activities. We hope that they will make improvements on the meals.Some of the services could be improved. We think that families might take a tour to see what is available there. They need to make improvements in the variety and more healthy choice for the residents. The residents seem friendly with each other.

New to the Pond

I have only been here for two weeks. My ratings may change with a longer stay.

What I really like about Aurora Pond is the condo like cottage. Over 1200 square foot of space, 2 BR/2 BA, and a full kitchen. Also comes with a washer and dryer but the small apartment stack-able type.

The food so far is sub-par. Residents that have been for over 5 years said the food was much better when they moved in but has declined quite a bit in the past year.

Services have been inconsistent and not timely.

I order tray service as my wife does not want to eat in the dinning area. They missed filling our order three times in our first two weeks. Lately is has been better.

Overall it meet our needs.

Loved One doing Very Well

My loved one is doing very well with her move to this community. She is pleased with all they have done for her. She has been taking care of her husband for so many years, and I'am happy she now has great people to take care of her. This is a good, safe community, and I would recommend it.

Pretty Good Tour

I toured this community for my mother, and her needs. It was a good experience, everything went well. The community was nice, and clean from what I saw. The staff was kind, and helpful. This is a nice community, everyone was very kind to my family and myself.

A wonderful place!

The move for my sister in law has been going great! She has been doing very well at Aurora Pond. We are extremely satisfied with the care that the staff have provided. She absolutely loves the variety of food and she is a picky eater.

Not real happy...

My pop is having a hard time. No one has been friendly at meals. He stopped going after two weeks of being there. He's a people person, big time. No is talking to him. He never had info given to him. Where's this, what's that, etc. We asked for a outside trash can, the person in the office said, she knew nothing about that. There's no incentive for him. He's paid alot of money, he's regretting this move. We might look else where. Thank You.

Holiday Retirement

Hello, my name is Katie, I work for Holiday, and I would like to thank you very much for reaching out to share this honest and sincere feedback with us. We would really love to the opportunity to further connect with you and your father to discuss the ways we can help get him more involved in the community and all our activities. It's important to us each of our residents is engaged and comfortable! Please, give us a call, we would really like to hear from you and work together on addressing these and any other concerns you may have! Thank you so much, we hope to hear from you soon --Katie

Next best thing to their own home

My mom's Alzheimer's progressed to the point that my dad was shouldering too much in the way of household chores, meals, and caring for my mom. As I began to search, I feared the only option would be a semi-private room in a nursing home. I was delighted to find Aurora Pond!

My parents have a 2 bedroom, 2 bath "cottage" with a washer and dryer and attached 1 stall garage. They walk across the drive to the main dining room for meals. They could have requested a unit in the main building, but my parents enjoy getting outside and taking a brief walk. It gets them out of their chairs and into the fresh air. Maybe down the road they'll prefer to move to the main building if this short walk becomes difficult for them.

Housekeeping comes every Friday. They enjoy conversing with the friendly, caring housekeeper Angela. They've met both pairs of managers, who are on site 24 hours a day and already know them well. Their help is just a phone call away. The food is excellent - healthy, portions perfect for seniors, and always a number of alternatives to choose if they don't care for the main option.

Daily travel is included M-F. There are shopping days, banking days, days to schedule residents' appointments, and then on Sundays they do a church route. The driver, Carl, is cheerful and humorous!

Many activities are provided throughout the day. They can take part in exercises, card games, board games, puzzles, travelogues, story-telling/reminiscing, pedicures and manicures, etc. There's even a BYOB happy hour. Coffee, cookies, and fruit are available 24 hours a day.

My mom is thriving with the new opportunities to socialize and participate in light-hearted activities! My dad is relieved of most of his workload - he still does their personal laundry, but appreciates the main floor w/d. Sheets and towels are changed weekly for them by Angela.

I'm so glad we found Aurora Pond!

Retirement Living

Staff is very helpful and understanding to the needs of the seniors that live there, but on the other hand there is only one staff member who should not work with the elderly because she has no patience or kindness in dealing with a large environment of that kind. Everyone else is such a blessing and a joy to be around its hard not to like this place. It has every opportunity to continue life as before you move there. Many things to do and many interesting conversations to have. Love the staff except for one but you will always run into someone that seems to have a bad day all the time...over all a great place.

not very happy

My sister not happy with the food at Aurora Pond . If you get there late they don't have the main selection available. If you get there even later they say they've thrown away the food. They should at least have food set aside for residents that don't make it on time. This has happened several times and that is why I am mentioning it. I have heard that kitchen staff aren't that nice either. For the price we pay this should not be the case. It is a nice facility but she cant wait to go home. The residents themselves are not very nice to new residents. I am not very happy with the decision that I made to have her here really.

Holiday Retirement

Hi.
I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement's Home Office. I'm so sorry to hear that your sister is having a negative experience at Aurora Pond, but am appreciative that you brought this to our attention. I agree that none of our residents should go hungry. I've passed your concerns onto our Resident Relations department for their review. Please know that you're welcome to call them as well if you have anything else to add. Their number is [removed].

Katie

Very nice place!

We're very pleased with how things have gone at Aurora Pond so far! It's an absolutely beautiful facility, and they have a lot to provide the people who live here. The meal service is very good, the food they serve is high quality, and they serve 3 meals a day, including snacks during off-times. They've also got all kinds of different activities and trips outside the facility for things like grocery shopping.

Great senior living.

Staff was caring & considerate of my dad's needs during the 5 months he lived there.
It was a safe environment.
Friendly people working there as well as those living there.

AURORA POND, HOLIDAY

This place used a bait and switch tactic. Corporate brought in new management team who immediately took away food options, snacks and church buses. Additional multiple times they attempted to intimidate the residents to get long term leases signed, even though most had contracts that had not yet expired WITHOUT offering credit for balance of contract.
Brought in State and other auditors. Moved my parent out and would not recommend ANY HOLIDAY units to anyone.

Happy residents, and friendly staff!

This place is absolutely wonderful, we are so glad we found it! The atmosphere is great, you can tell the people that live here are happy, and the staff seem to really enjoy their jobs! The building itself is very attractive, and the common areas and hallways are brightly lit and spacious. Their dining service is also very good! The food is fabulous and served off a restaurant style menu, and the dining room looks like a nice restaurant!
Just as an example of the great attitudes of the staff: here, we ran into their head maintenance man, Mark, and he stopped us and asked how our loved one was doing by name. He said he likes to keep an eye on the "newbies"!
I'd really recommend them to anyone, it's a wonderful place!

Warm and Friendly

What a warm and welcoming home! After looking at six other places, we knew this was the one for Dad on our first visit. The staff members are professional yet fun. The interactions between the staff and the residents are warm and authentic. The entire place is clean and they don't skimp on the details. My sisters and I are thrilled to have found this lovely new home for Dad.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Aur...

Very friendly and helpful staff. Aurora Pond is very well maintained! I'm glad we selected Aurora Pond!

So far my mother has been very happy ...

So far my mother has been very happy at Aurora pond. Don was extremely warm and welcoming and made me as well as my mom feel comfortable. All in all a great experience and fit for my mom as well as my father who will be joining her in a couple months as he is recouping from a fracture. I would like to advise that anyone coming to this community and inquiring about pricing to please see the correct person who knows the pricing. I was quoted a cheaper price for a room and agreed to it as my mom really thought dad would like it better. 3 hours after agreeing to this room and mom being thrilled I was told the cost was $125 more than I was told per month. My folks are on a extremely tight budget as most seniors are and this was not doable for them. My moms been thru a great deal with this move and has had to give up so much I couldnt break her heart by saying she couldn't afford it so I said we'd take the room. The lack of this individual knowing the rates is now costing my family an additional bill per month that we did not need. I explained this situation and although they felt bad they stated that this person should not have been giving out prices......wish I would have known that! :(

Sorry I had to leave so soon.

I am 72 and I was there at the wrong time in my life. I was hoping to have my ill husband join me after his physical therapy was done at a nursing home, however, 40 days after I moved into Aurora Ponds my husband was put under Hospice care for kidney failure and died a month later. I had to move out after one month because I wanted to be near my husband and he required skilled nursing care, which is not available at Aurora Ponds. This is a lovely place, near everything but still a very beautiful quiet setting. People are very friendly and you can have a small pet. Laundry facility is so convenient. Everything is so clean. Fresh fruit flavored iced water available all day. Oh how I wish I could afford to go back now that I am alone. I know they will let me come back just to play the piano - my joy is to play for others. They called me the piano lady. There are so many things to do - I was too busy to enjoy them because of visiting the nursing home but I saw the monthly events calendar and it was exciting. It is also a very safe place to walk or ride your bike. Remember, a car ride to Lake Michigan would only be about 45-55 minutes away and lunch at Ottawa Beach Inn would never be forgotten. I speak with authority. Oh and for dessert there is Captain Sunday or Russ's delicious pies or cream puffs. Maybe they will let me drive bus to show you these great opportunities. I could go on and on about Aurora Ponds but see for yourself - it is beautiful.

It's a very nice place over all. It ...

It's a very nice place over all. It is best suited for the elderly that can still do things for themselves. The staff really cares about you when you are looking to move in. Once you are there, your just another resident to ignore. The price keeps going up. The home helper pricing is outrageous for the quality of the service. Not worth it. Most seniors there should be in another type of facility. Don't move into an apartment larger than what you can afford, because they won't let you transfer quickly once they got you paying the higher price. The staff doesn't seem to communicate about the important things. Yet, they obviously can communicate amongst each other to promote gossip! The housekeeping staff skips cleaning apartments. I generally have to empty the wastebaskets for my parent myself because they haven't been coming to clean. A place like this is supposed to be less stress for the parent. It has not been for my parent or myself.

Very happy here, great social atmosphere

So far I'm very happy here! I'm really enjoying the atmosphere here, I've met a lot of new people and made new friends. I've also been enjoying all the activities they provide here, I get breakfast and go to the exercise program every morning. It's a very nice looking place, and both the staff and the residents are very friendly, and it feels like one big family here!

Happy mom, happy life

We didn't have alot of time to decide on a place for mom to live. Sometimes that can be a blessing, to not have to agonize over options that are available. We were fixed on a budget mom could afford and a move in date that would accommodate everyone. Aurora Pond met both at the sametime. We just happen to tour Aurora Pond the day a studio apartment opened up. The next day we signed the contract.
The staff was very helpful in making our desicion. They made mom feel right at home.
Aurora Pond is very clean and organized. The food is excellent and the wait staff is very attentive.
Everyone we have come in contact with has been great, we couldn't be happier.

Aurora Pond

Lovely place, good locality, great service, wonderful meals, friendly residents, staff very accomodating.

Immediate Availability

The reason that we chose Aurora Pond for our loved one was that they offered immediate availability for their cottages. Overall they are a very good community that we are happy with so far. The staff is friendly and they keep the community well maintained.

Happy Residents

When we were looking for communities we went during dinner time. Most of the communities that we visited the people were just eating there was no talking or anything going on. When we visited Aurora Pond the residents were laughing, talking and just having a good time. It seems like if they were truly happy with being here. The community is really pretty and the studios are very comfortable. I did get a chance to look at a two bedroom and those are very spacious as well. The staff is really friendly and helpful they really show a willingness to help.

Best of all the options

My wife and I talked with Aurora Ponds sometime back, but it seemed to offer more than what we needed at the time. After my wife died and several friends died at once my daughter and I started looking into places. Aurora Ponds turned out to be the best of all the options. I haven't been involved in the activities yet but they look to be going on.

Situated on picturesque, landscaped grounds in Wyoming, the largest suburb of Grand Rapids, you’ll love the quiet elegance of our community while being close to all the attractions of Michigan’s second largest city. We’re a short distance from shopping, healthcare and dining, but near the sites of the city.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind