Southwestern Care Assisted Living Cottages - Kingwood, TX

Sad lack of compassion that smells like greed.

Very heartbroken and disappointed with this facility.

My grandfather was in hospice with little time to live. Medicaid kicked him out. We payed $5,000 for full care in case he got better or lived for a few more months and he would have to be showered and moved.

He died within 12 hours of being there.

There was another room open and so no one was turned down to reserve the room for him, otherwise I would understand why they would keep the full amount.

They have expressed that they aren’t going to give a refund. So they took $5,000 to house someone for 12 hours. I understand that there are many costs at running a home, but I can’t believe they didn’t have the compassion to give a partial refund considering the circumstance. Even if they gave half of the money back they would have gotten 2,500 to keep someone for 12 hours.

I just feel like anyone who would be that selfish shouldn’t be entrusted with a loved one. I would search for a place that has more compassion.

I hope the owner does the right thing. I’d be happy to edit my review, but at this point I will make sure everyone I know looking for a care facility knows how little compassion they had for our tragic situation.

If we end up moving my husband's aunt from her home, this is place we'd choose. Heard independent high praise for Southwestern. The home feels comfortable and the residents seemed in good spirits. [name removed] is energetic and has a great attitude about providing care for elders. Several current residents have been there 7+ years. Very impressed.

A great care home

The caregivers at this care home are very attentive and quick to respond when the residents need something. The residents have a close relationship with the caregivers. The food is good and they do work with his dietary needs. He is relaxed and comfortable living here. I am very happy with this care home and I know my husband is well cared for. I would recommend this care home.

Good Experience

I had a pleasant tour of this community. Everyone was very sweet. The staff was very informative. They answered all our questions. The community looked great. Everything looked great, and very well maintained. The experience was a good one.

Looking for assisted living for my mother: I can only speak for the Kingwood "cottage", it's the only one I toured. The owners (a married couple) have 8 other cottages in another part of town. This is a nice alternative to a nursing home if your loved one requires a lot of care, but not intensive, round the clock nursing care. If your loved one is still "somewhat" independent and active, this is probably not the place for them, especially if they are the kind of person that needs a lot of alone time and privacy. I believe there is only one bedroom in the cottage that has an adjoined bathroom (the original master bedroom). The other bathrooms are communal. Half of the bedrooms don't have closets. The owners will furnish a clothes armoire for a resident going into one of those rooms. But again, if your loved one is used to living in large homes with lots of closet space and they are still very aware and have decent cognitive function, they might see this living arrangement as a huge step down from what they are used to. I know a lot of what I've said sounds negative; but here's the positive. When I toured, every resident seemed happy and content - even one who is a stroke victim and bedridden. They want to give very personalized care to their residents. When I was there, it was lunch time. There is one resident who does not eat meat, and they prepared fish especially for her. The owners of the cottages obviously take care of their staff. I was told many have been with them for many years, and one staff member at the Kingwood cottage has been with them for 13 years. I believe if they're taking care of their staff, that's an indication that they truly care about their residents. In fact, the owner, Buck Buckholtz said they believe this is a calling as much as it is a business - and I believe him. I am not naive or easily impressed; but I think the cottages are managed by people who want to make a difference in the lives they are caring for. This is a family-like environment, with an excellent caregiver to patient ratio. If your loved one likes having people around and they need a lot of one-on-one assistance and care, I think this would be a great place for them. I'm not sure my mother needs a place like this yet; but if she does, I will definitely consider the Kingwood cottage.

Terri Buckholtz

Thanks for the nice review and comments.
Sincerely,
Terri Buckholtz - Owner

so impressed

At Unlimited Care Assisted Living Cottages everyone is so friendly to mom. They are just top notch. I am so impressed with everyone there. Mom is bed bound so she is unable to participate in any activities but they do offer them. The staff is so good at communicating with me. They are so attentive to moms needs. This place is so much cleaner than the place she was at before. Everyone is very responsive here. I am so happy with the decision I made to have her here!

Terri Buckholtz

Thanks for the nice comments.
Sincerely,
Terri Buckholtz - Owner

parents situation has improved since being there

One of my parents complaints is that there is not a lot to do in terms of the activities. They would like to have more to do than watch TV. On the positive side, their overall health has improved since being at Unlimited Care Assisted Living Cottages. The facility is clean, the staff is friendly and responsive, and the owner is very involved. My parents are still adjusting to the food situation, but that's not a big thing.

Nice, but a little bit more...

Nice, but a little bit more than the budget allows.

Good Place

I still overall think it’s a good place for your parents. It’s a lot better than a nursing, a lot better than a nursing home. They are able to provide care for special care needs. I like the neighborhood. It’s quiet.

Unlimited Care Assisted Living Cottages is located in beautiful Spring, Texas. We are very well known for providing excellent services to all of our residents for years. We want to make sure you are comfortable from the second you arrive. Our staff is very professional and well trained. Sometimes leaving your home can be very difficult but we are here to make it very easy. You are our priority and will be there every step of the way from beginning to end. The great services we have to offer include twenty four hour staffing, great recreational and social activites, housekeeping, meal preparation, spa and pool, beauty and barber shop, and make sure to check on our residents daily to make sure they have everything they need day or night. Our personal services include grooming, bathing, toileting assistance, help with eating, personal laundry, transportation services, dressing assistance, and transferring and mobility. Our amenities include great social activities, a large courtyard, outdoor and indoor common areas, cable and phone hookup, exercise programs to stay fit and healthy, access to great shopping and dining areas, three meals a day, and a huge dining area to enjoy when family members come to visit. We pride ourselves in having a great enviroment that is positive and friendly. We want your loved one to enjoy everyday and we make that possible. We are here for you throughout your stay. We do invite you to please take a tour around our community and see if it is right for you.