Madison Heights Senior Community - Madison, WI

Scared

I toured this place and It scared me really scary. There was a constant smell of urine and dirt. They have small rooms and 7 rooms share one bathroom. It wasn't welcoming at all. The did answer all my questions but I knew this place was not the place for my dad.

David Schechter

I'm sorry your tour did not go better but the information you have is wrong. There are two bathrooms for 8 residents. We are proud of how clean our facility is and invite you to tour again,

Fairly nice facility.

I took a tour of this facility, and it went just fine. Though I ended up choosing a different facility for my loved one to reside, I saw very little problems with it.

Lost of All My Brother Belongings

My brother has a terrible respite stay experience in this community. All his things were lost. Everything from his clothes, and his personal belongings. About four hundred dollars worth of things. When I went to pick him up, he smelled like urine. He did not have on anything that belonged to him. They have not tried to resolve this issue at all. It was a horrible experience, and I would never recommend this community to anybody.

David Schechter

This family member brought in clothes without labeling them which led to the loss of clothes once they were washed. The facility did agree to reimburse the family for the lost clothes

Not impressed!

When I got there, I felt very pressured right away. The guy that took me around seemed very anxious. When I first walked in, there was a strong urine smell. Also, the bathrooms were shared and most of the residents were men. Nothing about this place was a good fit for my loved one.

Caregivers on cell phones continuously through shift.

David Schechter

Caregivers at times use their phones for clicking off medication dispensed and for speaking to family members as well. Had this family brought the matter to our attention we could have explained that.

Finally found a home

I really enjoy living at Madison Heights! The atmosphere and house is very comfortable. The staff is very nice, the other residents are great and I love the food! I would highly recommend it to others.

Madison Heights

"My husband was diagnosed with dementia and he declined to where I no longer could keep him safe at home. I was looking for some place that could care for his daily needs and  at the same time manage his many behaviors.
I was delighted to find Madison Heights who cared for him and kept him safe. I don't know what I would have done without them. The Staff at Madison Heights were very helpful and compassionate. Before his dementia progressed, he had learned to love his caregivers and I think some of them became close to him without losing any of their professionalism. I know they became a big support of me also and I will always be grateful for their love, caring and support. I actually miss them and wish them well. "

[Removed] [Removed] 2016

Look elsewhere

Everytime I visit, the place is filthy and smells, with urine on the floor in the dining area. No interaction with residents except for cares, which are limited. Lost articles, clothes, terrible meals. A name change doesn't change the actions at the facility. Most of the workers are kind but the management is ineffective.

Not very safe for our loved one!

Trinity Senior Community has a new chef and the food is pretty good. The community is pretty clean throughout. At times there may be trash left by the residents and the staff do not see it until two or three days later. The staff only communicate well if I initiate contact. There is an unruly resident in the memory care unit that has attacked a few residents and sent them to the hospital. This unruly resident continues to reside at Trinity Senior Community.

Dad Is Doing Good

The care is good and my dad seems to be doing fine. We did have a small issue with this place about a lost item, but they are replacing what was lost. The food seems to be fine. My dad gets daily visits from the activities director who interacts with him.

Trinity poor care

I sent my partner there for a respite stay. Whenever I visited his clothes were dirty, often not his own, and he was unshaven. I observed 2 meals that were not very appealing and and staff members paid little attention to residents.

Wonderful experience

I am just basing this rating on touring the facility because I don't have a loved one there. It was a wonderful experience and the staff was great. The director was very patient and answered all of my questions.

I haven't had too many concerns.

I didn't have a lot of experience with the community, but I haven't had too many concerns. Sometimes other residents would just wander into the room if the door isn't locked. My one concern is that it looked to me like they had 18 residents, with only two restrooms. I am not sure if that is true, but that's what it looked like. I know that on occasion people have had to be escorted to the other side to use the facilities, so there might be a shortage on bathrooms.

Not for people with dementia

This is NOT a place for anyone with dementia. They claim to have Memory Care, but I saw no indication of it other than just ignoring it.
This company is owned by Emeritus. They are part of a 60 Minutes piece regarding the very sad state of senior care in the U.S.
Legacy's trend during my dad's stay there for over 4 years was a move toward a senior living facility rather than an assisted living facility, which is a clear mistake as many of our seniors need superior care and not a cute apartment.
The turnover there was incredible and administrators just moved from role to role. Yes, people were fired and there was some incredible staff as well. My dad would connect and then they would move on, which was confusing for Dad. As Dad worsened, he was neglected basic care even with repeated conversations, care reviews and the hope for improvement with new staff. They did not honor his dietary needs, his nails would be long overdue for cutting, and showers were rare. I know he became more stubborn as well, but they lacked the knowledge to manage an Alzheimer's resident. Finally his outbursts brought threats to admitting him to a Mental Health facility (illegal) and he was eventually kicked out.
I have no hard feelings for the staff that genuinely cared. I feel that some DID care but the Emeritus Corporation backed them into a corner as far as their expectation goes. Some left for this reason; they were fed up with the system. It's so messed up. It served his needs for awhile, but Dad changed and Trinity changed. Sadly, not for the better. I have lowered my standards as to what to expect from Assisted Living facilities, but he is in a place now where ONLY people with dementia live, which is what I recommend if your loved one is plagued with this sad disease. They will likely get worse and having them in a place that is set up for this care is what I recommend. Thank you.

Not pleased.

The staff is very friendly. We found the cleanliness of the facility was not very good. The urine odor is bad. We also feel more could be done to get the residents involved, moving and interacting. We had some issues with follow through including medical documentation.

Fantastic care, with a few administrative snafus

The caregivers here are absolutely lovely. They work a very hard job, very long hours, and I know the pay can't be all that great, but they still manage to go above and beyond. My loved one had issues that made him very difficult to deal with and they were always patient and compassionate with him. I remember once seeing him being brought back from the hospital one of the caregivers was genuinely glad to see him, and told him so even thought he may have been too out of it at the time to understand.

We have, however, had a few issues with the management. They were isolated issues, but they were never resolved. We brought in a wheelchair from home for him to use personally, and after he passed and we went to collect his belongings the chair was nowhere to be seen, and we haven't heard anything since.

There was also one night where I got a call from the hospital late at night asking me to come pick him up as they were discharging him soon. They said he had been dropped off with no return instructions, and that nobody had answered the phone at the community. I had to scramble to find a medical transport service to bring him back to the community. I never received any explanation for this even either.
These were no common events, but it still made me slightly leery of being able to trust the management since the issues were never resolved.

Too small and quiet for B. ...

Too small and quiet for B. Liked the staff.

Great place!!!

Compared to where my father came from, the staff is very attentive, I mean, not just what they have to do and where they have to be, they're pretty focused on their jobs and who they have to be with after. The executive administrator is a young guy but he takes care of things and they're laid back to the point where it's not a stuffed shirt and they have to be in a suit to speak with you. The staff all seem to get along, they had a family dinner/celebration once a month kind of thing and they had tacos catered in and everybody wore a hat if you wanted to and you could buy pie tickets if you wanted to throw a pie into one of the managers faces so they just kind of sat at a table and that was kind of fun. There's different cottages, and this I think is behavioral health and everyone was good and they weren't distant. My father adapted the first day he was there, I was shocked. They have 2 different living areas with fireplaces and the food is ohh sooo good, he eats very well.

It seemed like their staffing levels ...

It seemed like their staffing levels were minimal and might not facilitate their ability to encourage residents to get involved. Common room was small, and no other residents were hanging out there. My mom avoids spending time in her apartment because she has a fear of being alone. I am looking for a facility where residents tend to spend more time outside their rooms and where activities are on-going so that my mom can feel less alone and enjoy more time with others. My husband and I were not that impressed with the cleanliness of the facility. No major issues, just some trash on the kitchen floors and some urine odor in general. The woman who gave us the tour was very helpful and nice. We had no scheduled appointment and just dropped by. She was very accommodating.

$3700/month

$3700/month

similar to Kindred Hearts, perhaps a ...

similar to Kindred Hearts, perhaps a bit newer, with a nicer outdoor courtyard flower and vegetable raised garden.

Staff seemed friendly and attentive.

Staff seemed friendly and attentive.

Madision Heights has developed its own unique programs to meet our resident’s individual needs. Our approach to resident centered care helps create more satisfying days and meaningful lives for our residents and peace of mind for families.
Our program provides extensive hand on coordination and monitoring of the services required to support the health and well being of our residents. Our program provides high levels of personal attention while addressing both the clinical and psycho social issues related to dementia or other diagnosis. Two of our three buildings have programming specifically tailored to meet the needs of residents with Alzheimer's or related dementia diagnosis.We offer a safe and secure environment for those residents at risk for wandering or elopement. Our staff are specially trained to manage difficult behaviors that sometimes accompany these diagnosis.