Traditions of Wayland - Wayland, MA

Grateful for Traditions of Wayland

My dad was determined and prepared to remain in his Wayland home. He moved to Traditions of Wayland in December for a two month “respite”, not long after a bad fall and several broken bones required hospitalizations and weeks in rehab. When the Traditions Resident Care Director, came to his discharge planning meeting I knew he would be in good hands. [name removed]’s intelligence, compassion, expertise and kind sense of humor inspired trust and optimism. Her resident care staff are especially cheerful, responsive, respectful, skilled and kind. I look forward to seeing them whenever I visit.

About halfway through his “temporary” stay at Traditions, my dad decided to become a longer term resident and now lives in a nice apartment furnished with his favorite belongings. He has developed friendships and relationships that are meaningful and bring a new kind of purpose to his days.

I am continually impressed by the quality of care and assistance he receives. The staff is responsive, communicative, cheerful, thoughtful and dedicated. From welcoming and informative greeters at the front desk, to the kitchen staff and activity planners, administrators and maintenance staff, everyone is dedicated to providing a pleasant and meaningful experience for the residents. I am grateful and proud to feel part of the Traditions of Wayland community.

Libby Mattei

Thank you, Mary! I am excited to pass along your story to our team and we are thrilled to have your Dad as part of our Traditions family.
Many families we have worked with have found that a short-term stay at Traditions, whether for a recovery period or for caregiver respite, turns into a long-term living arrangement. They thrive with their new found security, friendships and sense of purpose, just as your Dad experienced. Hearing how your Dad is enjoying his time with us is truly rewarding! Thank you, again, for helping him to find a home here. -- Libby Mattei, Executive Director

Traditions is on the Up & UP

Traditions of Wayland encompasses a serene life and intimate atmosphere within a gracious, historical estate. The various lounges are clustered in close proximity which enables crossing paths throughout the day and making residents feel "at home" with one another. The sunny patio and pretty gardens are welcoming nods to a breath of fresh air and seasonal "parties."

The Resident Care Director is selective in admitting residents who will fit in well. Once admitted, every effort is made to enable residents to remain in their units without being displaced to another facility. As time passes, if additional personal attention is needed on a daily basis, it can be provided. At least the promise to keep one's place at Traditions is given from the start. The residential care team reviews individual care plans on a routine basis, and necessary adjustments can be agreed upon.

I give the aides tremendous praise for their kindness above all. This is what residents appreciate the most! Patience, promptness, and respect are the standards provided by the aides. No matter what the request may be, cheerful attention is given.

A variety of entertainment and activities keeps residents on the lookout to participate out of personal, individual interest. Very popular with residents are the recitals given by local adults and youths, and this is a great venue for the performers as well. Occasionally there are special dinners with an interesting theme where guests are invited to attend gratis -- very popular with residents, family members, and guests. Traditions' staff assist and interact which makes for a good party. Best of all, these times allow family members to relate to one another and feel validated for all that is required of us at our end. We also enjoy feeling appreciated for the encouragement we're constantly giving at every visit.

Traditions has been in transition for the past year whereby some qualified personnel have been replaced, and that's been unsettling. The new Executive Director is very approachable and is taking a devoted, personal interest in the residents and their families. Such personable, executive functioning trickles down to staff and residents, but also to us, the family members. It's a good thing we can all feel "at home" in this special place.

Libby Mattei

You’ve really hit on a lot of the elements that makes Traditions such a special place! Our outstanding team of dedicated, approachable and compassionate professionals truly do go out of their way to ensure each resident feels at home. I am also glad that you’ve mentioned our gorgeous outdoor spaces, intergenerational programming, and musical performances. Our programming department works directly with residents to create the adventures and opportunities that they want most. Our monthly themed dinners is a newer program that everyone really seems to love I am so glad you were able to join us for one. Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughtful review of our community. - Libby Mattei, Executive Director

Traditions of Wayland - Senior Living at its Best

I moved my parents into Traditions of Wayland this year. The facility is located in a country setting in what was formerly a mansion. The beautiful exposed brick in some of the hallways, the warm mahogany paneled library and the bright and attractive dining room and adjoining patio create an atmosphere of home that is unparalleled. I chose this facility after interviewing and visiting other facilities. Traditions of Wayland offers independent living, assisted living and memory care. From the minute that I walked in the door at Traditions, I knew it was the right place for my parents. The staff was kind, warm and caring. I was impressed as I watched how the residents were treated. I was even more impressed when I asked the residents if they were happy at Traditions and they went out of their way to reassure me and my parents that they would be very happy there. My parent's apartment was welcoming and roomy with views of the patio and countryside. The apartments are kept very clean, the food is exceptional and the waitstaff is accommodating. They have excellent exercise and activities programs. When my dad's health began to go downhill, the staff made allowances to make sure that he felt welcome, that he was given world class service and that he could stay with my mother through it all. When he died after only a month at Traditions, the kindness and caring extended to my mother was not to be believed. The staff went out of their way to engage her in activities and to make sure that she met others who had experienced the same loss and could offer support. My mother looks relaxed and happy and feels better than she has in a long time. What could be a better testament to Traditions of Wayland.

Libby Mattei

WOW, thank you! Your thoughtful recommendation is so much appreciated. Reviews like this fill our hearts and inspire our associates to be the best they can be. I am excited to share your kind words with our team.

We, too, are proud of our building’s rich history, the unique look and vibrancy of our community, and the dedicated and professional team we have cultivated. Our dedicated staff works day in and day out to provide a comfortable, supportive and culturally enriching home for the residents of Traditions of Wayland. They are entirely committed to our number one value of providing seniors with the highest quality of life, so when you say that our team members went out of their way to support your Mom, I can say that I am truly not surprised, but I am very pleased to know that your Mom is enjoying her time with us. We consider your family to be a part of our family.
-- Libby Mattei, Executive Director

Traditions of Wayland used to be a great place to live for my Mother. She has lived there for several years. The Staff and Management used to be really great. Now the staff is very unpleasant and never smile. Things have changed drastically in the past month. The new staff are not experienced. The home my mother used to enjoy, she nolonger enjoys. The place is messy and unorganized. All the new changes in staff past few months have not been great. The food is bland and does not taste well anymore. The Activities Director that my mom loved quit recently. The dining department just recently lost two of the best people who made the overall dining service pleasurable for my mom and the other residents. The dining service has been awful lately and the dining staff have been unpleasant. The housekeeping staff used to be great and now noone keeps areas clean anymore. Considering moving my mother to a different location if things do not improve.

Bob Larkin

In my numerous recent community-wide family meetings and individual conversations, residents and family members have provided nearly unanimous positive reviews of current community life at Traditions of Wayland. Understandably, some individual residents and family members find it difficult when some staff members move on either to pursue other opportunities or for other reasons. We assumed management of the community several months ago, and with the encouragement and support of many long-tenured, highly valued professional managers and staff at Traditions, we have been working to: improve the quality of resident services, heighten the professional standards of staff, provide increased staff training and professional development opportunities; and provide vastly increased communication to residents and families. However, as the saying goes, you can’t please everyone, and some longtime staff have moved on. Overall the changes have gone quite well and our newer team members are qualified, caring professionals. Our new Executive Director, Libby Matei is an experienced assisted living professional who brings both enthusiasm and diligence to the community. Traditions continues to enjoy the services of our tremendous long-term Resident Care Director and staff of nurses and caregivers; Social and EnrichedLIFE programming in our traditional assisted living and memory care neighborhood is now expanding to seven days per week; we have hired an experienced assisted living EnrichedLIFE Director who is excited to get to know the residents, and bring new ideas into our robust programming, entertainment, and lifelong learning pursuits. Our Executive Chef is already improving the quality and delivery dining services. We know as experienced assisted living owners and managers that every single change that has occurred has been in the residents’ best interest and has been a change for the better. To longtime residents and family members we can only ask for a bit of patience and to give the newer folks a few weeks to settle in and get to know you better. In the meantime I am available to residents and family members at any time, so please don’t hesitate to reach out directly to me at any time so that I can address any individual concerns. - Robert Larkin, President, Senior Living Residences

Used to Be First Class - Has Gone Down Hill

We chose this for my mother because the food and attention to detail were fabulous. In the last eight months it has gone way down hill. The food has been very uneven, sometimes not fully cooked, the portions even smaller than usual. The entire house keeping staff quit recently, and they lost the activities director who apparently was going to be let go. The place has been bought by a holding company that owns several similar places. They no doubt know that once a parent is settled, children are reluctant to move a parent, even if the residence declines, due to the disruption.

They were not expecting me when I showed up. I found the place to be dirty, the staff to not be knowledgable, and the rooms to be dingy. Not for me.

Libby Mattei

Thank you for taking the time to review Traditions of Wayland. I’d like to first apologize for the less-than-stellar experience you had with us. Our community should be visitor-ready at all times and so your unexpected visit should not have impacted our community’s appearance nor how our associates were able to serve you on your tour.

While it is no excuse, in February when you visited, our community was just finalizing a major transition in operations. Since the beginning of this year we have made extensive changes to our building both in the way it looks and in the way our staff is trained. We are proud to say that in the months since February, each of our associates have gone through a robust training program to better equip each team member for working with both residents and family members. I would like to personally invite you to come back in for a tour to see how we’ve improved the experience for both resident and visitors alike. Please call me directly to set this up. I look forward to speaking with you -- Libby Mattei, Executive Director

Traditions of Wayland is a wonderful community. The living space is a lovely estate. The apartments are clean and spacious. The residents are happy and enjoying their senior life. The staff love their work and are involved and attentive to the residents. The healthcare is impressive.

Fantastic Place!!

My mother has recently made the move into this community and so far things have been going well for her. I could have not picked a better team of staff to care for her especially the physical therapy department. They have really worked closely with her and she is making improvements everyday. The food the chef prepares has been amazing and she has really been enjoying the dinning experience with the other residents. This had been the perfect place for my mother and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Wonderful place, executive director is wonderful.

Avoid Traditions at Wayland memory unit

My mother lived in the memory unit at Traditions for six months before I moved her out. I had so many issues with her care which I repeatedly brought to the attention of the staff. In the six months she lived there there were 2 different memory care directors and a period of time with none. They never let us know when one left, came etc.. My biggest problem was that they had a calendar with listed activities but the activities did not really happen. I live nearby and would stop in at different times of day multiple times a week and they generally had the residents lined up in the hallway sitting on soiled chairs with paper towels on them (I assume for incontinent residents) watching a movie with one staff member sitting there completely unengaged oftentimes texting or with headphones on. They have no activity room in the memory unit that would even fit all the residents if they chose to actually run activities. I spoke to the staff and the director about this on multiple occasions. The cleanliness also was a problem. I noticed her sheets had not been changed in weeks and spoke to an aid about it. She acknowledged they had somehow forgot - how long would this have gone on if I had not noticed the second sheet set never moved? Another time her room and bathroom were not cleaned in weeks. Even their schedule on the wall showed this not that the unpleasant smell would not have told me. Weeks after she moved in I saw they still had the previous occupants emergency information on her door which in the event of an emergency would have been a big problem. It was very sloppy and unsafe. They should not have a memory unit. It is clearly an afterthought and very small,dingy and badly designed. The outdoor area is cramped and not visible from inside so they can only access it with aids so they spend most their time inside usually in the hallway watching movies. I have little knowledge of the traditional side of the building and can only speak for the memory unit.
On many occasions I spoke with staff and emailed or spoke to the Director of the entire building. I also told them I was looking elsewhere due to the issues. When I moved her out they tried to charge me for two extra months. They really should have had to pay her moving expenses. It is very difficult to move a loved one with dementia and we never would have done it if her care had been better and we had not been forced to make the move for her well being. If you have a family member in the Traditions memory unit drop in often during the week and keep track of their care and activities as well as the amount of staffing. If you are looking for somewhere to put a loved one I would look elsewhere!

Ted Doyle

We’re very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your experience with us. It is never okay for our residents or their families to feel anything less than completely satisfied. Each of our residents have different needs and we do our best to address them.

Please know that we take your concerns very seriously, and are already looking into where we may have fallen short in our service to you and your mother, with the resolve that nothing like this will happen again. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Wonderful place

I would give Traditions of Wayland top marks across the board, they've really been a huge help to my family. The staff here is kind and supportive, and the facility itself is clean and well kept. My loved one had a very difficult transition, but the people at Traditions were with us every step of the way. I highly recommend them to anyone looking into care for a loved one!

Great looking place

This was one of the places we looked at when we were looking for care for Mom. I had to start looking for options on very short notice, and I appreciated that they were able to get me in for a tour so quick. It was a nice looking place, and the administrator was friendly and helpful. The rooms were a little smaller than some others that we looked at, but overall it was a great place. It's not what we ended up choosing, but this was our number two choice.

Traditions of Wayland Excellent Choice for Mom

We selected Traditions for quality of staff and "feel" of the facility. More "homey" than most of the newer ones; less like a hotel and more like a home. Apartments vary in size and configuration and have two burner stoves which are hardly ever used, but often help the new arrivals feel a little more independent. Staff has been very forthcoming about the pluses and minuses of assisted living; very responsive to individual needs.

Talked with Seth; sounds ni...

Talked with Seth; sounds nice, but too far, and this might work well for one in-law but not for the other; we're looking for a campus they can reside on together, even if in different units.

Representative has been in contact se...

Representative has been in contact several times with empathy and helpful information.

At Traditions of Wayland, you’ll find a welcoming senior community with all the comforts of home. Residents enjoy tailored activities and a dedicated staff. Traditions of Wayland is located in a restored mansion surrounded by acres of conservation land.