The Woods at Canco - Portland, ME

Awful management & can't reach corporate offices. Constant busy signal. My sister lives nearby & is washing towels & changing my mom's bed. 2 separate times 2 different groups of 5 women who made up the housekeeping staff have all quit. Thank goodness my sister lives near her. We are shopping for a better place for my mom.

Holiday Marketing

Hello there, we are sorry to hear about your negative experience at The Woods at Canco. Your message has been forwarded to the management team, who would appreciate the opportunity to reach a resolution together. Please reach out to Annette at [removed] or directly in the community. Thank you, and we hope to speak with you soon.

Though the property is an older facility, it's functionality but no frills weighs quite heavily as a good if not great landing place for mom. While you don't find a theater style movie room here, it has a real sense of community not just with residents but the city as well - today a police officer had lunch with them, next week it is the mayor. Activities schedule was robust with something for everyone, included in the price is three meals a day. Apartments range in size and configuration but very reasonably priced. Nursing and other specialities is provided by third parties not on-site staff, as additional cost although potentially covered by insurance if not privatized. Chapel, library, on-site salon (extra cost) and other community functions are available, also rides to medical practitioners and grocery shopping if desired to have your own food in the apartment.

Positive Experience

Unfortunately this community did not work out well for my mother, and her needs. She ended up needing more care than they were able to provide. However we did have a good experience in this community. They were very helpful, and was quick to answer any question I may have. It was a positive experience.

Nice facility--friendly staff and residents seemed happy. The apartments are nice and floor plans more than adequate.

So far, so good!

I doing very well since I moved into The Woods. They offer a variety of activities and I have joined in a few. They provide all 3 meals and they're not the best but not terrible either. I would recommend this community to anyone who is looking for a comfortable place.

Nice Price, Good Community

This is a nice community, unfortunately my mother had an accident, and is currently in the hospital. This is a good independent senior community, It is reasonably price, and well maintained. The staff is kind, and friendly. The only thing that needs improvement is the food, my mother didn't enjoy the meals. Overall it is a good community, and I would recommend it.

Overall I'm Happy

My mom is doing fine in this community and I am pretty happy with all the staff. Overall I am happy with the care and services they provide. She enjoys the activities and meals that is made and provided for her. They do a fine job keeping the community clean as well as maintaining her room.

She Is Happy Here

My loved is doing well here at this community. She has adjusted very well to it, and she is happy here. She is being cared for very well and we are pleased. As long as she is happy and receiving good care, I'am satisfied.

Good Place but care is terrible.

I think it's an awesome place but the nurse doesn't take one bit care of my grandmother and never returns our calls. This is our third nurse through canco and am not impressed. If you need care, hire a nurse from the outside.

Holiday Retirement

Hi Tyler - I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement Home Office. I'm so sorry to hear that you've had a negative experience with the home health company The Woods at Canco contracts with. Although we at Holiday do not own any part of home health, they are our business partner and a negative reflection on them is a negative reflection on our own business, so I'm glad you brought this to our attention. I've sent your review to our Resident Relations department. Please know that you're welcome to call them as well at [removed] if you have anything else to add.

Thanks,
Katie

So far it's wonderful.

So far it's wonderful. They love the food. It's been a positive move. They are more involved, and seem happy. The Woods seemed to have a better value for the money. Their people were very responsive to our inquiry, and attentive in showing us around and having us try the food, and following up with us. They went above and beyond and that's why we chose them.

Not too bad!

From what I've seen they had good activities, and the quality of the food is pretty good.

Nice place, overall

We visited this community while looking into senior living options for a loved one. The Woods at Canco seemed like a nice place overall, the people were very friendly and the community was attractive and clean. I would have liked to have seen them offer more cottage style apartments, they only had a few.

Disappointing.

Disappointing.

Terrific place!

I can't say enough good things about them! They're just really high quality overall, the staff, the facility, and even the food.
It's an ideal option for those who still want some independence, but don't want to worry about meals, cooking, etc.
It's a very welcoming place, family members are free to visit any time they'd like, and they'll often have free (or very reasonably priced) meals for residents and their families. It's just a terrific value overall!

Can't say enough good things

These folks were so helpful and accomidating! I was making arrangements for my mother to move from Virginia and they were very helpful and pleasent to deal with. They have you there for a meal and a chance ot meet and speak with residents. I recieved a very complete tour of the facility and the apartments that were available and they answered my questions completely and to my satisfaction. A lovely, well-kept facility, and I did notice that the folks from administration that showed my around (Rick and his wife) addressed each and every resident by name; impressive! Unfortunately, my mother passed away before she could take residence, but they were very kind and helpful when we made this fact known to them. I belive that she would have been very happy and satisfied living there.

The family loves The Woods At Canco

From the beginning we have felt that we were the only family that this property had to deal with . They have been just right in their approach to help us with Mom they provided great information with being intrusive. The families were invited to come as often as they like for free meals during the first month and after that we can join Mom for a very small fee at any meal we want. This is the most elegant place that my mother has ever lived and the family loves seeing here there safe and happy. The meals are outstanding and the activities are non-stop, something for everyone. Mom has a balcony as I think all the apartments do, and that is one of the things that makes her so happy she sits on the balcony any day she can.

Sister wants to stay here

I thought the managers were extremely professional and attentive. My sister liked it because it was right in the area she wanted to be. They made it very clear that she could feel like it was her home and they individualized their service for her. They do great at accomodating her needs and they're very friendly. She doesn't do too much of the activities but that's a personality thing, she may later on with things like trips to the mall.

Very interested and possibly will wan...

Very interested and possibly will want to look at garden apartments a bit later.

we both like this place very much. T...

we both like this place very much. Tryingto encurrage mom to signup for the waiting list.

I really liked this place. They said ...

I really liked this place. They said it was all inclusive and it certainly is. I liked both the cottage and the one bedroom unit I saw. Food was delicious and people friendly. They do not have vacancy at this time but I am just beginning my search so that is ok. I would give this a 5. I like the fact it is part of network owned by Holiday I think and the option to travel and stay in included.

This is my likely choice but I won't ...

This is my likely choice but I won't be moving for 6 months.

Very nice

Very nice

Nestled in the unspoiled beauty of Portland's rugged countryside, you’ll love the elegant grace of our facilities and the convenience of the nearby community. We’re just minutes from shopping, healthcare, dining and wonderful regional attractions.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind