The Sterling Aventura - Aventura, FL

Used to be good

What a charade! I heard the Sterling was a nice place for your loved ones, but I have found it to be anything but that. Even the Dr. is saying he never had any trouble with the facility, until recently. It turns out that even the Dr. has been having trouble getting through, to check on patients or give orders to a nurse. Staff members seem friendly and polite, in person, but it is very difficult to contact anybody or get help by phone. At first, I’d be transferred to the nurse’s station and the recording said the mailbox was full…then it disconnected me. Of course, you have to get somebody to answer the phone before they can transfer you to Never Never Land, to begin with. They have gotten better. Now the call to the nurse’s station goes through to voice mail, but Hell will freeze over before anybody calls you back. Go ahead and try to contact somebody in charge. They are masters of deflection. Tell them your concerns and they will tell you whatever they think you want to hear. I have found them to be [Removed] when it comes to patient care, especially at night. I’m pulling my loved one out of there!

Nice Place

Moved my sister to the Sterling Aventura. Reasonable cost and much less expensive than living at home with 8-12 hour/day in-house care. Staff seems helpful and friendly. Place is well-organized, food is good. This is not luxurious and not a dump. It's like a solid, mid-level hotel.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! Your feedback is important to us and we hope your sister is enjoying her new home.

So thankful!!!! Words can't express my gratitude!

I was at a loss when it came to helping my mom to get the care that she needed, I finally contacted a Place for Mom and spoke with [Removed] who was awesome! My first impression of the Sterling was wonderful and my experience has been fabulous. I don't know what I would do with all the assistance they have provided me and my family.

[Removed] has been absolutely phenomenal, he has been there for me through this whole process. He continuously goes out of his way to keep me informed and makes sure my mom is getting the utmost care!

I am honestly so thankful for everything!!!!!

God Bless the Sterling Aventura

Having to put a parent or love one into assisted living can be a difficult experience. However, with the Sterling Aventura, their amazing staff made the process so simple. We started the process before we needed to move our mother there and we thought that we had time. Then, she became ill and before Thanksgiving was hospitalized. Because of staff like [Removed] and [Removed], we were able to move her into the facility on Thanksgiving and she started her new life there the following Monday.

The staff could not be better. Our mother at 84 can be difficult and critical of many things. She has constantly thanked us for moving her there saying that "nothing can be perfect but the Sterling is 99% perfect". From her, that means they are over 100%! They offer activities every day and Daniel, the Activity Director, does whatever he can to get the residents involved including, for our mom, knocking on her door in the morning to make sure she is up and ready to join the day. Even the Sterling Happy Hour that she resisted going to at first is now a welcome part of her day and gives her a chance to mingle with others and listen to music. They also have a kitchen/dining room director, Anthony, who goes out of his way to be accommodating.

The nursing staff is wonderful. On the day that we moved mom into the Sterling we met with [Removed], the incredible woman that runs the entire facility and [Removed] (sorry if I misspelled the name), the Nursing Director. She immediately gave me her cell phone number in case I should need to reach her. Unfortunately, for her, I have had to use it on two occasions one of which being the night of Christmas day. She took the call and immediately contacted her staff and addressed the situation. Not once did she make us feel like we were bothering her; never did she say that she would wait until tomorrow to handle. The staff that care for her and check on her throughout the day and night are all so respectful and professional; always speaking to her kindly and doing what they can to preserve her dignity while not letting her feel she is a burden.

Most recently, I had to take mom to the doctor. Using the Sterling's transport vehicle and Mr. T was also a great experience. He was so professional with her and, as I boarded the vehicle he handed me an envelope to give to the doctor's office. It contained every piece of information that the doctor could have needed - including copies of her medical cards and identification! What an unexpected yet professional thing to do; everything to make it easier for the residents and their families.

If faced with the need for assisted living, from my siblings, my mom, and me, we highly recommend this facility. They truly care for their residents and are devoted to providing the highest level of care and service. According to my mom it is "like living in the ritzyest hotel with nursing service". There is no higher compliment.

The Sterling of Aventura

My husband has been at The Sterling for just over a year and I am extremely pleased with the care he is receiving there. The Executive Director [Removed] is wonderful and is always willing to help. She is extremely visible and reachable. The Nursing Director Charmaine and her nursing staff are very professional, caring and dedicated. The Activities Director and her staff provide wonderful activities for the residents.
My husband especially looks forward to the Happy Hour that they have seven days a week with live entertainment.
I would recommend this place to any of my friends.

Caring Staff!

The Sterling Aventura is an older community but it is very well maintained. It is a beautiful community with lots to offer. The staff were very gracious and they did a wonderful job showing me around the beautiful community. The staff were very attentive and addressed all of my concerns. They sincerely showed they cared and understood how difficult this decision was.

Great Staff!!

The staff at Sterling Aventura is great. When my mother in law needs help they are there as soon as possible. The staff is nice they are always checking on her to make sure that she is comfortable. The community is nice and up-kept. We are comfortable knowing that she is in a safe place.

So far it's good. I would give them a five at this point.

So far it's good. I would give them a five at this point. They seem to be good for the clients. Its well kept, and the people are friendly. We are happy with it so far.

Very nice place

Our experience with The Sterling has been a very good one, overall. The staff here is friendly, professional, and very attentive to the needs of the residents. I like that the community is on the smaller side so that the staff are able to pay more individual attention to each resident. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and they do a good job taking care of the people who live here.

She is very happy

We moved our mother into an apartment at Sterling. After being there for over 3 weeks she continues to tell us how pleased and thrilled she is to be there. The staff are wonderfully attentive and she raves about the food. All the activities on offer make for an vibrant and engaged group of residents. We cannot express in words how relieved we are that she is so content and well cared for.

Most Importantly, I Trust the Sterling Aventura

Overseeing the care of my 94 year old aunt was a daunting task. She was fiercely independent yet unable to care for herself in her home. She rejected home health care and refused to move into assisted living yet could not bathe, wash her clothes, take her medicine, prepare her own meals, and was showing signs of dementia.

I heard about the Sterling Aventura Assisting Living/Memory Care community through my aunt’s cousin, who lives there. She felt it would be an excellent place for my aunt, as did my aunt’s doctor. I decided to take my aunt to the Sterling to visit her cousin and while we were there, we received an excellent tour of the Sterling Aventura community. While my aunt visited with her cousin, I met with the Sterling’s directors to discuss costs, levels of care, medical care, apartment availability etc. I felt they fully understood my aunt’s personality (charming yet challenging!), the level of care she needed, and assured me that many residents just like her made successful transitions to living at the Sterling Aventura. I was also pleased that every question I asked was fully answered and I was provided with written materials to take home to help me decide if the Sterling Aventura was the right community for my aunt.

On the car ride home from the Sterling, my aunt and I discussed the merits of the Sterling Aventura’s assisted living and memory care community and, to my great relief, she was quite pleased. I knew my aunt would still be resistant to actually moving but at least we now had chosen the right place.

When the time came for my aunt to move to the Sterling Aventura, I received excellent support and guidance from the directors and staff regarding how best to move my aunt into the community. The director even recommended a fantastic mover who not only assessed what furniture in my aunt’s home would fit into her new apartment, he arranged the furniture in her new apartment beautifully. My aunt’s first week at the Sterling Aventura was rocky, which came as no surprise, but the staff was exceptional in helping her adjust to her new surroundings (and they continue to be fantastic).

Fast forward 5 months: my aunt is now healthier, she’s mentally sharper, she’s socially engaged, and the sparkle has returned to her eyes. Is everything perfect? Of course not, as life is never perfect! Small things happen but they are miniscule in comparison to the problems my aunt was having while living alone and I’m convinced we have avoided huge crises, which would have occurred if she stayed at home by herself.

Bottom line: I trust the Sterling Aventura staff, I no longer worry about my aunt’s welfare, and I no longer receive 3 a.m. emergency phone calls from my aunt’s old neighbors saying a crisis has occurred. WHAT A RELIEF!

I am extremely pleased with the Sterling Aventura staff and facility and would like to add that friends who visit my aunt are very impressed with the all the Sterling Aventura has to offer. I also feel it is excellent value for the money.

So far it's been great. They are doing a terrific job.

So far it's been great. They are doing a terrific job. We haven't had any complaints about food or other residents or anything so far. They were a little more expensive than some of the places we saw, but well worth the investment it seems.

The Sterling Lives Up To Its Name!

My mom moved into the Sterling a few months ago. The first contact is with their leasing manager, Barry. Few professionals can match the expertise with such charm and warmth as Barry does. He is a wealth of information and one of the most empathetic individuals I have had the pleasure of knowing--and sets the stage for the exceptional service I've consistently witnessed at the Sterling.

While it may not be the most luxurious place with numerous amenities, it has comfortable facilities (public areas are being updated at present), surprisingly good food, and an outstanding staff: caring, attentive, patient, and experienced. This is what is most important! My mom has moderate dementia, and they have made my life and hers so much better. They monitor her whereabouts, noting when she leaves and returns and checking in on her throughout the day.

One review mentioned that the parking is terrible. This is not true. I visit almost daily and rarely have a problem, even with the small, shared lot. With regard to price, let's face it, assisted living is costly. However, I toured several places, and the Sterling offered more value than most. The AC unit works beautifully in my mom's room and the room is bright and well-sized with a huge bathroom. Cable is included, wifi no--at least not in the individual rooms.

Everyone in this place, and I mean everyone, is pleasant and accommodating.

I highly recommend this facility.

This Place is The Best

I don't know that a review can fully convey what a safe, caring, professional, happy, and loving atmosphere one finds at The Sterling Aventura. My mom recently passed away and my father made the very difficult decision to relocate 1/2 way across the country to South Florida to be closer to us. I was completely unprepared for the job of finding an assisted living community and all that went into it. Among many other things, Barry [last name removed] handles the leasing at The Sterling, and quite simply he can only be described as a gem. Upon meeting Barry, I immediately felt like I had a new friend, one who would walk me through the process every step of the way...and he did. Barry went so above and beyond the call of duty. He was incredibly accommodating and not only made my father feel welcome, but our entire family felt comfortable at The Sterling. It is obvious that Barry genuinely cares about the residents and their families, and pitches in like a family member to do what needs to be done for the residents. Mary [last name removed], the executive director, is just the same. She bent over backward to make my dad's transition a smooth one. In addition to her total professionalism, Mary always has a friendly smile and a warmth about her that personifies the caring feeling at The Sterling. And, it is the same with all the employees you encounter there from the nurses, the wait staff, the activities director, the concierge, etc. They are all concerned with making sure the residents are happy and well cared for. The food is delicious, also! Truly, it is so good, I'm worried my dad is going to gain too much weight if he isn't careful. The residents will all tell you that this place is the BEST, and to me, that means everything. I hope my dad can stay at The Sterling a long, long, long time! I think the best compliment I can give The Sterling is the fact that every time we go to visit my dad, my 14 year old and I look at each other and say how much we would like to live there! Barry and Mary have really set the bar high there, and the rest of the staff has lived up to the expectations. I have nothing but the best things to say about The Sterling Aventura!

Very happy with this place!

I think they are doing an excellent job at The Sterling! It's a very nice looking, well run community, and the staff are very very friendly! They're more caring and compassionate here than any of the other places we looked. They also do a great job with the food here, it is very good!

My mom likes it at The Sterling Adven...

My mom likes it at The Sterling Adventura. The people are overly friendly. The help they provide is fantastic. They go the extra step. They offer tons of activities. The rooms are nice, and the food is pretty good. For meal options, they have the signature meal, and if you don't want that, they will make you something else. They also have a restaurant that's open from 7:00am to 7:00pm. It's a really, really positive set up. I would recommend The Sterling Adventura to other people.

A Home Away From Home for Mom

My husband and I are extremely satisfied with this facility. We feel that our loved one is being cared for very well and she has adjusted easily to her new surroundings. Each time we visit, we notice a big improvement in her demeanor. She seems happy. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to place her in a very nice, clean, and friendly home.

A Wonderful Community of Supports

My mother-in-law, Luba, who is currently 90, has been a resident at The Sterling for more than three years. She moved there upon the passing of her husband. Alone and somewhat confused, she had to make a difficult adjustment to a new home, new friends, and most profoundly, life without her beloved husband. From our intake interviews with Barry Ger, and our subsequent interactions with the administrative, nursing, food services and housekeeping staffs, we have come to appreciate the staff's genuine concern and support, not only for the resident herself, but her close family as well.

Luba certainly has her ups and downs, but she has been able to thrive, despite many challenges, thanks to the support she has received at The Sterling. In particular, Executive Director Mary Buchanan, Head Nurse Dorinda Vazquez, the evening floor medical assistant Virginia, each in their respective roles, have all gone above and beyond in working with Luba and the family to assure that she is happy, healthy, safe and fulfilled.

This is a quality operation. You may find places that cost less, but none that will provide the level of caring support that we have experienced at The Sterling.

Worth every dollar!

Good Place

My mom is very happy! Very good place.

Very Nice

Very, very nice, but way over my budget. They have an enormous processing fee, plus you have to furnish your own furniture for the rooms. They seemed to have more activities programs and things to engage him. They definitely had a whole locked unit, which seemed very safe. They were a little larger facility. With everything, you get what you pay for, and for all that I understand, that's why it is so expensive. They didn't have much of an outside area, though, which I really wanted.

Caring professionals at The Sterling Aventura

I am a nurse that is frequently in this facility to care for clients requiring nursing care. The staff at this facility are kind, caring and professional. Barry Ger and Mary [removed] clearly know the needs of their residents and make sure that the level of care meets only the highest of standards. Dorinda [remove] is also very well aware of the care needs and coordinates a team of qualified staff. I always see residents participating in activities and voicing how much they appreciate Kathy, the Activities Director. This is a facility that i would never hesitate in recommending to any of my clients.