Lots of problems. Short staff, many who cannot speak English well. Billing problems. No consistent care. Food not good nor suitable for the elderly.

Delightful new nurse

Never in my life have we met a more delightful young lady than [name removed], Director of Nursing. She made our mom feel that she was the most important person ever. She assured my brother and I to "trust" the team. We believe her. She is spirited and plans to lead the nursing staff to become great caregivers. The staff have assured us that she will be the best thing that will happen to the Rivers. The marketing team are sweet, but try hard to sell. They don't really want to answer questions about all the transition. In speaking to several tables of residents, they all are happy that they have a new nurse. We're excited, but cautious about our decision. We'll see. Mom's apartment is nice, but the community is old, dirty in appearance, and outdated. Our only hope, is mom gets great care. We hope [name removed] will lead the team to greatness. We love her!

[Name removed] was great. Very laided back. This place has only 1 bedroom units available as well. Big place but the rooms are smaller then the other two places. My parents will have to decide if they ever have a 32 bedroom available.

Best facility in Minnesota.

My grandmother is currently residing in the new memory care unit. She definitely needs to be in a secure unit, but her dementia isn't as advanced as most of the other residents in all the other memory care units we looked at. But at The Rivers, they noticed this and so they created a second momory care unit for people that are still in the early stages of alzheimers but need the security of a locked unit. It is so nice for Nana to have others in the same boat as her and its esp nice my Nana has others to talk to, or do activities with, or even just not feel like she's being punished and locked in a unit with people that are constantly reminding her of what she has to look forward to with this awful disease. I think she has a much more positive attitude and has had less behaviors. SHe's sleeping and eating better and I think she's happier than I have seen her in years. And we owe it all to The Rivers! They actually care a lot about their tenants and are constantly trying to make a difference in their lives. You can tell that they are not just in it for the money but they have a passion for what they do. I would definitely recommend ANYONE looking for senior living or memory care to go check out this amazing facility and if they don't offer something you really wanted, you can ask and they will probably work on getting it for you. They have been so helpful to Nana and all our family. They really are a Godsend.

Right away I saw residents and staff smiling, milling around,busy. I had a good feeling about this place

Entrance fee 1200 and no charge for evaluation done by nurse.

Stay vigilant. Much slips through the cracks if you're not attentive.

The RIvers staff is friendly and mostly helpful. Note that many are only knowledgeable about their particular assignments. For example, they may not know basic information about resident meal times, housekeeping or other activities.

The facility partners with outside medical and other organizations to bring in care they cannot provide. This is good. Sometimes the facility is unable to handle what a medical professional prescribes.

Know that the staff runs very lean and emergenices with other residents, which happen more often than you'd think, can impact the care your loved one receives. Also, expected daily care can be erratic or missed, particularly during holidays and weekends. Information exchanges about resident care among caregivers may not happen.

If you have a loved one living here, be vigilant and ask questions. Understand, for example, the medications they are taking and why. Visiting professionals and facility staff often do not have the knowledge or ability to stay up to speed. For many staff members, this is just a job.

Hello

I am a friend or relative of a current/past resident

Nice building but that's it. Management has turned over 3 times in 4 years. More concerned on who does what then attending to needs of residents. When we needed assisted care for my family member it was terrible. Mistakes in meds , terribly long respond time to residents and horribly expense for services provided. Had to call everyday to make sure my family member got services for which we paid for..Revolving door in aids and nursing staff. Would not recommend this facility at all. We moved her to a new wonderful place with great staff.

We toured this community

We liked this community it was really nice and clean. It was close to us. They staff was wonderful and answered all of my questions. They were very kind. They just had a wait list and we needed something then. They still will call and check up on us.

Tour for care

We toured this community for the care for my mom. This community was further away for me and my brother. The staff were nice and caring to answer the questions we had on the care that is offered. We like the menu and the activities that are offered. We would recommend other families to tour this community for the care of a loved one.

Didn't meet my needs; too large and I think my mom would get lost. The assisted-living bedrooms were nice and I was impressed by their dining area (2 entree options at meals and very flexible dining hours). Toured the Memory Care secured area, which my mom might eventually need, and that area felt depressing.

Outstanding Place! Wish mom would stay!

The facility is outstanding. I had dinner there and the food is delicious. Lots of activities. Everyone laughing and visiting. Unfortunately my mother-in-law chooses to isolate herself in her room and takes most meals there. She is there for respite short term care. We were hoping she would warm up to it while receiving Physical Therapy for walking. And prevent further injury from a previous fall. Just two weeks here have helped. we can see a difference in her health as far as eating healthy and not smoking. We appreciate all the help from the staff getting the room ready and everything else that they have done. We wish she would stay and enjoy a safe place to live.

Are great home

We like this community and the great staff who are helpful to all of our needs. The community is clean and always maintained. The menu is outstanding with a good variety. We like the nice list of activities that we participate with the other residents. This is a very nice community and we would recommend others for the care and the value that is given here.

We like this community

This community has nice walking trails. My father in law has a gorgeous apartment. This community seems a little more active than other communities in the area. They keep the community clean and they are going to be remodeling some of the common areas. He seems to like the food. I have found the staff to be nice and they were helpful while we were going through the process of choosing a community.

Lovely Place!!

I have no complaints about the experience my parents are having at this community. They are absolutely loving it and it is actually hard to get a hold of them because they are never home. They have made a lot of great friends and are constantly participating in many of the events and activities they have going on throughout the week. The staff are outstanding and have been amazing to them. I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

Very Pleased with Our Move Here

My husband and I am doing great since our move to this community. We really like it here. The staff is kind, and friendly. The community well-kept, they do a good job with the cleanliness. We have recommended this community to our friends. and they have already moved in. It is a great community overall.

My parents great home

I like this community for my parent.s We like the staff that are always making that there needs are taken care of. They like the community so that they can walk the gardens. The activities are offered, and they do like playing bingo with the other residents. The meals are very good. We do recommend this community for othr families for great care and value at a nice place to live

Moving mom

We had a very rocky road in relocating mom from out of state. The folks at the Rivers did everything they could to smooth things out for her. Her apartment is beautiful and the staff have been very attentive . We looked at several places, this was the best!

Problem with management

My mother was here for respite care. They had recently had a management change when stayed here.They were extremely short staffed so they did not have the number of people they needed. They would not answer her call button immediately. It would take 30 minutes sometimes for a nurse or aide to come. They talked a good plan but the follow-up wasn't there. For the most part the staff was friendly.There were a few who did really good but there were two particular nurses who had bad attitudes, luckily one left. In general it was clean. I think they had issues with their house keeping staff and morale. She wanted to participate in activities but the staff wasn't able to take her sometimes.
There was an issue with medication. She is very particular with her medication because has Parkinson's disease..They consistently got her medication time and dosage wrong due to the lack of help.

Feels like home environment!

My parents have had a wonderful experience at The Rivers. It is a very homey environment. The staff are very friendly, helpful, and involved with the residents. They have really enjoyed the musical programs that have come in. They love the food, but said that it has not been as good since a new cooking staff have come in a few weeks ago. The building is kept very clean and inviting.
I would highly recommend this Senior Living Community. It gives me such a peace of mind and heart to know my parents feel at home at The Rivers.

Great Tour!

My tour of The Rivers went well, but the place was expensive and an advanced level of care for what my mother needs. There were people just sitting around and were not as social as the community we chose. It was a nice place but just not what we were looking for.

[Removed] was a very pleasant and friendly tour guide. She had all the answers to my questions. The housing is well appointed and cared for. My only concern with this location is that a move would be required in order to go from independent living to assisted living, rather than having additional services offered in the current apartment.

One Of Many Tours

This is a really nice facility and the tour went good. I saw good interaction with the residents. It is a clean facility. All the staff were highly knowledgeable to give me answers and valuable information about the community. This was too far from our home and not within a good proximity.

Happy at The Rivers.

We recently moved my my Dad into a Independent Living apartment at The Rivers in Burnsville. I was worried he would struggle with the transition from his previous home of 30 years. It has gone much smoother that I thought it would. The staff at the Rivers is great. They communicate well and are very friendly. My dad likes the community. So far, so good.

Knowledgeable Tour Guide!!

During my tour i was able to get all of my questions answered. I was given a proper tour of the community and shown the activities that are offered. There were a lot of wonderful residents on site that were nice. One thing i really liked was the complimentary meal that the community offered. Everything was organized and overall i had a great tour.

My Mom utilizes the beautiful walking trails every day. Apartments are very spacious and the facility has multiple wonderful spots to sit and visit or read. I am very happy we chose The Rivers for my Mom.

Nice staff

The staff is very nice here and they always go out of their way to help when needed. The residents here are very personable and nice too. There are lots of fun activities for the residents to participate in and the residents seem to love them.

This is the way for seniors to live!

I would rate this community as great in all aspects. Each of the goes out of their way to be there for us at every turn. They encourage us to enter into as many of the activities as we can in order to create a family atmosphere for all residents. The dining room serves wonderful meals, including white table cloths and napkins. The wait staff is coached to treat us all with a smile and a great attitude that they are pleased to serve us. ALL areas are kept neat and clean at all times. ALL our needs are met with a smile and often times a hug!

The Christmas season has been a lot of fun. They have activities scheduled for each day with choirs from the area coming to sing for us and with us, fun! The Christmas Holiday Gala was fabulous. Starting at 4pm with favors and wine while greeting each other with a Happy Christmas Hug. The evening continued with a special dinner of Beef Wellington and all the trimmings - serenaded with Choir Music and continuing with a Gospel Choir sing along. Fantastic. There are Christmas decorations at every turn including decorated Christmas trees.

We also had an evening "Lite up the Nite" starting at 7pm. Glorious nite with stars shining and a church choir singing and then all the outside was lite-up with lites on the trees and portico's and gazeebo. Followed by hot chocolate and cider with Christmas cookies.

This is the way for seniors to live! Bless us all.

Four Stars

There is really not much that can be said about The Rivers facility except that it is a decent facility and the staff members get the job done when it comes to taking care of my loved one. I can't think of any improvements.

Great People

Everyone at The Rivers is very nice and very sociable. All of the staff members and residents are just great people to work with and to have dealings with. They do seem to be a little bit understaffed however.

So far so good

So far so good at The Rivers. We are working through it. I do wish he had a bigger room. We've had to have a few meetings to clarify some things. The TV service is supposed to be included and they don't seem too committed on him getting good TV service. The age of the building kind of shows. Other than that so far so good as I said.

A comfortable feeling

I can not think of anything for The Rivers to improve on. They are just such a friendly staff and it is a very comfortable feeling just being there and knowing that my loved one is looked after as well as she is.

A Pretty Good Job

They all seem to do a pretty good job over there at The Rivers facility. I rated the place fairly high and gave it a five-star rating overall and all of the sub-categories were rated just as highly for the place.

My Loved One Is Happy

I do not really know anything about the place. All I did was help move my loved on in to his apartment and I have just visited him a couple times. As far as I know he is happy there, so that is a good thing.

very accommodating

The staff at The River is so good about helping dad feel at home. Dad has a visual impairment and they staff are so good about saying dads name and helping him feel comfortable. The food here is great. They are also very accommodating of dads dog since he needs the help. Very pleased with this facility.

not always responsive

The staff at The Rivers are friendly. They means well but do not always follow through. They are not always responsive to my mom. When she calls for help they take too long. The staff does not even take mom to breakfast and lunch as they are supposed to. They do respond to my inquiries which I appreciate and they try to make things better.

okay

Living at The Rivers is okay. There is not much I would really say about it that stands out.

Stunning retirement place for my parents. Love the folk that live there and looks like they are having a blast! The Lunch we had was perfect and the soup was out of this world. I feel like I can relax and trust the family and workers at The Rivers to take care of my folks when they move in next month!

We're very happy!

We are receiving in-home care for my mother-in-law and she loves it! We are really glad we found it, we feel she is safe and cared for and there is 24/7 help, we're very happy with how everything has gone.

They have done very good so far.

They have done very good so far. It's a nice place. I don't have any concerns or complaints, with the food or maintenance or any of it. We are very happy with it, I would rate it very highly from our experience at this point.

Very Comfortable

It is Very Comfortable Here.

Nice facility. Friendly employees. In the process of making some renovations.

Impressive sales pitch, but they don't deliver

We did not have a good experience with The Rivers. Initially we were impressed with them, their marketing team does a fantastic job selling the community. Unfortunately they did not follow through with a lot of the promises they made, and it ended up being a bad value in terms of care for the cost. They could have used a few more caregivers, the ones that were there seemed stretched very thin.

Don't go here

If you're looking for independent living with option to increase level of assisted level as needed, don't go here. There are 3 couples at a different assisted living facility right down the road that needed to move out of The Rivers when they needed a higher level of care.

The independent living was fine and staff were nice but when it was time for a higher level of care, the administrative staff were suddenly not so friendly. They were more than happy to take the rent for Independent Living but my parents had to move when they needed more care. The move into a new facility was a very difficult transition for my parents. They had already moved once into a facility that they were told could care for them as their needs increased

Very disappointing experience

We moved my mother-in-law into the in...

We moved my mother-in-law into the indepent living at the Rivers and the staff could not be more helpful. They are easy to deal with. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. My mother-in-law was unsure of this next step in her life but the staff at the Rivers has made it easier for her to adjust. She said she should of moved a lot sooner. She is so busy with all the social activities I do not have to worry about her being lonely anymore. I would recommend the Rivers to anyone. It is very clean and has an uplifting feeling as soon as you walk through the front door

Did get information on the ...

Did get information on the Rivers and will have to review thls again too.

Would love to live!

When i visited the Rivers they were everthing I was looking for in a community, very freindly(actually beyond freindly they provided me with information about other communities in the area, the place was very clean, although it was a little out of my price range. For anyone looking for the top of the line living the Rivers is the place to be!

Nice People, Well-Maintained Community

My mother-in-law has a one bedroom apartment at The Rivers. The staff is great. The leasing manager was extremely patient thought the whole process of getting her moved in and all the residents are extremely friendly. She likes the food. She's only been there 2 months and I believe she is participating in a few of the activities. She's still adjusting because this is a very different transition for her. It's her first time living in an apartment. What really sold us was that there is a washer/dryer in the unit. They whole place is very nice and well maintained.

Comfortable, friendly staff. Many ser...

Comfortable, friendly staff. Many services and social activities. Spendy but would not have to move again. Nursing and Md on site.

The Rivers offers spacious:
>INDEPENDENT LIVING: one and two bedroom apartments with full kitchens and baths, in-room washer & dryer, e/o week housekeeping/linen services, 20 MEALS INCLUSIVE, excellent views
>ASSISTED LIVING: one and two bedroom apartments with kitchen and private bedroom and private bathroom, housekeeping/linen AND laundry services every week, medication management, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner INCLUSIVE, excellent views
>ADVANCED/CARESUITES: one bedroom apartments with kitchen and private bedroom and private bathroom, housekeeping/linen AND laundry services every week, all nursing services included, medication management, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner INCLUSIVE, excellent views

About Burnsville, Minnesota

Located 15 miles south of downtown Minneapolis, Burnsville lies on the scenic south bank of the Minnesota River. With a population of roughly 60,000, Burnsville features many attractions, the most popular of which is its regional mall, Burnsville Center. There are six different senior communities in the city, and roughly 11 percent of the population is 65 or older. Expect a wide range of temperatures, as the highs can climb to the high 80s in the summer before dropping to just below freezing for the colder winter months. Strong winds, snow, and ice also play a part in the local climate.

Transportation

The city of Burnsville has several transportation options, all of which serve seniors and some of which offer discounts.

- Buses and Light Rail: The METRO Transit Line consists of both light-rail transit (LRT) and bus-rapid transit (BRT). Seniors are able to take the METRO Transit Line at a reduced rate.
- Taxi: The most prominent taxi service exclusive to Burnsville is the Burnsville Taxi Company. Aside from them, there are several taxi companies in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area which also serve Burnsville.
- Currently, Burnsville seniors can also use the Uber ride share service by downloading an app onto their smart phone.

Health and Safety

Fairview Ridges Hospital is the main hospital serving Burnsville. The violent crime rate in the city is 16% lower than the Minnesota average, and 48% lower than the national average, which makes Burnsville a very safe place to live.

Sports and Leisure

If you're looking to enjoy the great outdoors, you'll find plenty of senior-friendly activities in Burnsville and the surrounding area. These activities include:

- Golf: Check out the Birnamwood Golf Course in Burnsville, which has a golf league dedicated to seniors. Or try your luck at the nearby Apple Valley Golf Course, or Crystal Lake Golf Club.
- Sports Leagues: Burnsville Seniors Services offer plenty of recreational activities, including sports leagues, nature walks, and both summer and winter activities.
- Sunrise Stretch: The Burnsville Seniors Center features a Sunrise Stretch at 8:30 a.m. every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It's the perfect way to wake up and get you ready to take on the day with fellow seniors.

Shopping and Entertainment

You'll never run out of things to do in Burnsville. From the Classic Movie Night to the Spring Aging and Wellness Expo, there are always activities that will keep you occupied.

- Burnsville Center: The most popular mall in the area, the Burnsville Center features two levels of boutique clothing stores which are anchored by major outlets such as Macy's JC Penny, and Old Navy. If you're looking for something a bit closer, the Twin Cities Premium Outlets mall is just up the road.

- Groceries: A short ride to the east and you'll find Walgreens, the Burnsville Famers Market, an array of grocery stores, and other smaller markets.

- Restaurants: A short walk from The Rivers is J R's Family Reunion Bar, which is always a great place to settle in for some food. Head south down Highway 77and you'll find several different ethnic restaurants, including a Chinese buffet, Thai, pizza, and Russian.

- Movies: The Paragon Odyssey is the major movie theater in Burnsville -- but you'll need to make a bit of a trek to get there.

- Libraries: Head straight south down Highway 77to find the Galaxie Library, or take the 35E to the Burnhaven Library. You'll need to drive or take transport, as none of the libraries are within walking distance.

- Hair Salons: The Diffley Barbers are right across the street, and offer a haircut and a shave that can't be beat. For women, Cole's Salon is a short bus ride south.

- Attractions: You can go bowling at Bowlero, visit the Ames Center to take in a theater performance, or head down to Canterbury Park Racetrak & Card Casino to play some cards or bet on the horses. If you're looking for something slower pace, the Como Park Zoo & Conservatory is also nearby.

Religious Facilities

River Hills United Methodist is just across the street, and the Peace Church is also close by. Farther to the east you can find Christ Lutheran Church LCMS.