happy with my experience

The Landmark of Fridley is the night staff was not very good and we had a lot of bumps in the road at first. Most of them were because of mom though. Things have evened out now. It's been a long road but all in all I am happy with my experience here.

Looks can be deceiving!

I don't usually write reviews, but this one is important to me. We toured several senior facilities before we finally chose the Landmark of Fridley. What a beautiful place it was, and still is. I live in another state and it was important to me that someone I love so much was taken care of in the best way possible. I have siblings who visit and check on her as well, but being so far away, it was comforting that we picked a place like the Landmark. As it turned out, looks are deceiving, and all the promises were ways to get a family's trust. After talking to my siblings, I came back to Minnesota and we had a meeting with the new director, who just started and he too saw things that we complained about. He made notes and asked for a follow up meeting before I left the state. He began to make changes, but because of health issues, quit!!
Again an administrative change, and it has been downhill ever since! There is NO respect given to the elder people there, especially as their needs become more. And the director seems too busy to talk to the family. My senior relative can't go outside without a family member present. She comes to the front desk to see if they have something for her to do, and they are getting tired of that. They called my sister, and she had to find another place that would pick her up and take her to their facility to do activities. I am not sure what they are being paid to do. She goes 2 times a week, and the Landmark would like her to go every day. No one doubts that she is ready for some sort of memory care, but not what they consider memory care. Our relative is high functioning and should be kept busy to maintain what she still has. Landmark has their memory care residents watching Sesame Street and playing with Tinker Toys. We just moved her into another facility. She is now in a memory care program for high functioning seniors. Hopefully they will keep her brain active and challenged. I know dementia is a fast, nasty disease, but I also know that mind stimulating activities and communication is key and also taping into what used to be important to them. (Like simple cooking activities for those who used to do lots of cooking, and art or craft classes for those who enjoy that). The new place where our relative lives has the right idea, and I was told they are encouraged to visit with other residents. She is also encouraged to walk and goes outside regularly. Shame on you, Landmark, for not getting to know your residents and for not not making them feel important. Also, my sisters had to come in and do cleaning which the Landmark was supposed to take care of. If you are understaffed, Landmark, get help. I used to get a calendar emailed to me so I could see what was being done. That stopped after the first director left. If you are looking for a place where your loved one would be stimulated and happy, please look closely and ask questions of other residents and their relatives before signing on the dotted line!

Not what it started out as.

When we first put my relative here the place was new and showed great promise. Unfortunately they don't deliver on their promises or programs. This is clearly not a facility for those who suffer with the start of dementia or Alzheimer's. they are very restrictive and don't offer anything that keeps a persons mind stimulated. Cafeteria style meals that get more complaints than not. The apartment has not been cleaned on a weekly basis, nor has her bedding been changed for quite a while. When we complained about this they just said that they were understaffed. There are not many activities to keep the people stimulated. My relative was not even able to sit out on a secure patio for fresh air unless a family member was there to take them. Many residents complained to us when we were there to visit. When checking out the memory care units we saw residents watching Sesame Street! While we were moving our relative to a new facility many residents said "Good for you! The place you are going to can't be worse than this!" There was a large staff turnaround. Look very closely before you spend your hard earned money here. The facility is new and the rooms nice but they have to emphasize on the care given to residents more.

Do your homework before moving in here.

The only good thing I can say about Landmark is that the people you meet in the beginning are very nice and friendly. When you confront them about a problem you get lip service only.
. The Food is on the most part bad
. Recently my loved ones apartment has not been cleaned on a weekly basis, nor has her bedding been changed
weekly.
They do not have a lot of activities and they do not seem to get the seniors involved .
I would not recommend Landmark at all.

Review of The Landmark of Fridley Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Fridley, MN

Pretty much the same reaction as to Andover Oaks. Their programs are identical, the facility much the same. Location would be the deciding factor for our purposes.

pretty good with room for a few improvements.

The cleanliness is pretty good. The staff is mostly friendly, but there have been a few moments when that wasn't the case. It took a while for everything to get set up, the beginning was a little rough. Sometimes it would take a while for someone to respond to the call button, and some of the aides aren't entirely attentive when they do come to help. Some have been on their phones while assisting residents. They do have activities. Some more crafting activities would be nice. The food is hit or miss, some of it my loved one really likes, and some she doesn't. Sometimes things are not hot, or overcooked a little. We really liked that they have a washer and dryer in the rooms, and the apartment is really cute.

Run the other way - don't waste your time or risk your loved one's life.

The Landmark in Fridley: Incompetent, inappropriate, untrained high turnover staff. Miserable care, unsafe oversight. Food is terrible. Activities demeaning and childlike. The Landmark staff do not understand seniors or seniors with dementia. No one in charge of facilities/cleanliness. Unstable nursing processes.Don't be fooled by the beautiful entry way or their promises - both deceiving.

Nice looking assisted living apartments

We toured this location when we were looking into care options for our loved ones. This was a nice enough looking community, and the staff we spoke with were all friendly. We were impressed by the size of the rooms you get, the assisted living section had nicely sized private apartments. We didn't get a chance to tour the memory care facilities here.

I liked the private rooms w...

I liked the private rooms with private bathrooms for everyone in Memory Care. A definite possibility.

Loved pretty much everythin...

Loved pretty much everything about it. Clean, new and bright. Very nice common areas. Seemed to have ample staffing and friendly. Can have a pet if wanted, but a $500 one time fee for that. Need to find out pricing for the assistance packages. She said there was pricing in packet, but couldn't find any.

The place was new and clean...

The place was new and clean. The person giving the tour has not given a tour before. She was not able to answer financial or specific service questions. Another turn off was the call button is for emergency use only. Most other places the resident can use it just when they need assistance.

The Landmark

Our family visited the landmark and it was a very nice community with nice staff, and clean grounds we found the community to be a bit high out of our price range. I would recommend anyone to visit as they might fit some of the care needs to the families unfortunatly not ours.

Landmark is a beautiful facility - th...

Landmark is a beautiful facility - the rooms are spacious and the meals are delicious. We found that while they are very friendly and accommodating when you move in, they are very strong with their schedules and come on very strong. I think if they had backed off a little the first few days and let new move ins get adjusted to everything we may have had a better experience. Because they are quite new I think they are trying to stick to the rules in a strong way and scare the elderly by coming on strong and making the residents feel overwhelmed. Because they are not a nursing home facility made it impossible for our friends to stay there as one of them needed the nursing help.

Happy Overall

I'm overall happy with it. It was the best decision I could have made for my parents. I think they're in a good spot for their age. They are just doing the housing with services right now. Having that one meal a day has been great. I'm kind of concerned about the turnover of the staff. That's really the only concern. They have bigger apartments with a full kitchen which I like.

The Landmark of Fridley senior living facility is located in Fridley, Minnesota. We are an assited living facility with a community of caring individuals who are committed to providing the best services to your loved ones. We take great pride in providing exceptional physical, social, personal, vocational, educational, and spiritual programs for the residents at The Landmark of Fridley. We offer excellent personal care to our residents and treat them like an individual who deserves proper respect. The Landmark of Fridley offers the senior residents more than many other assisted living facilities provide. Commonly, some facilities only provide the bare necessities to their senior residents. We believe that our elderly residents deserve much more. We provide the type of personal care that makes life easier for the senior. For example, we provide bathing assistance, dressing assistance, transfer assistance, toiletry needs, medication management, nursing visits, and specialized care for dementia patients. Our broad base of senior services provides a place for the elderly to flourish. The Landmark of Fridley provides a number of amenities that the senior will appreciate. We provide a chapel to encourage spiritual awareness and growth. Seniors are encouraged to socialize in the coffee shop, dinning room, and outdoor patios. A salon is available for personal grooming. Seniors love to learn and explore the world in the library that has computers and Internet access. Seniors enjoy the whirlpools and spa rooms where they are encouraged to relax and have fun. Seniors are encouraged to establish an independent living arrangement in the facility. This is a way to build their self respect and hope. Of course, we believe that The Landmark of Friendly is one of the best assisted living facilities in the area. We also ask you to contact us and plan a visit. This will give you the opportunity to explore The Landmark of Fridley personally.