The Haven in The Village at Chanticleer - Greenville, SC

Very pleased

When offering a review for The Haven it would be helpful to specify which of the three communities in which your loved one is/was a resident.
Our mother has been in the Charleston unit for several years and we continue to be very satisfied with the care she receives, however, most important for us is that she is happy, content, and complimentary about the care she receives.
This was not at all the case in her three previous residences.
My wish for each of you who are facing this heart-rending challenge is that you quickly find the special, perfect place for your loved one.

Don't send your loved one here!

Placed our last surviving parent in this facility and what a big mistake! If you do not come everyday to check up on their care and make sure they get the appropriate nutrition, your family member is on their own. Witnessed one aid for every 8 patients and if they soiled on their self and needed to be changed, they would have to wait. Many of these patients can not communicate so they suffer in silence. There are also no safety rails on their twin beds. So if they fall, which they will, they will be hurt. So wish we had made other arrangements!

I am the POA for my brother who has been a resident at The Haven for the past year and a half. I mange this remotely and with a visit every couple of months and have found the staff helpful, encouraging, honest and demonstrate genuine caring for him. He is well taken care of with compassion and understanding of the residents needs. They are worth a visit when you need a place for a loved one.

My mother has been at the Haven for almost 7 months now. I was hesitant to place my mother anywhere but I was at the place where I could just not take care of her at home anymore. She wanders and had walked away from home during the night. The staff have been wonderful and helped me to calm my fears overtime. I can relax knowing she is cared for and someone is looking out for her. Although no one can ever care for mom like I do, I can honestly say they try. The building is clean, the food is good, the laundry is done and there is always something going on. I would recommend the Haven to anyone who finds themselves needing a place for their love one. Blessings.

My mom was there for little over a month. Lots of issues with staff. Cleanliness was not good in her room and bathroom most days. Came in one day and "poop" was ALL over the toilet seat. After dinner each night, the staff either put some to bed or placed in front of TV. Pretty sad when an Alzheimer's resident complains about how bad they are treating another resident. These things were mainly with the second shift staff. Constantly yelling at some to sit or not to do something. Staff sat around and talked on their breaks and didn't clean their messes up. I know because I was there almost EVERY night until my mom went bed. Director heard from me a lot. He was trying to make some changes but with out supervision, it wasn't changing. Need camera's in all open areas. We left when my mom had several episodes of throwing up blood and they did not call the doctor like I had authorized. Took her to the ER and was admitted. She had ulcers and was anemic. She had a MRSA UTI and pneumonia. She was in the hospital for 6 days and we never went back to The Haven. What we were sold on did not happen in the month she was there. I do hope it has improved

Five Star Reviews

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience about The Haven in the Village at Chanticleer. I truly appreciate your candor, and regret that your experience was not a positive one. . Selecting a community for a loved one, especially with a diagnosis of dementia, is never an easy process. The decision is often accompanied with much passion and hesitation. Finding a place of peace in such a decision can be a difficult destination to find. Dementia is a journey and the number of those impacted by this disease continues to grow, as Alzheimer’s is the 6th leading cause of death in the United States. Caring for those with dementia is something The Haven and its team is committed to. Some of the many services that we provide are onsite physician and geriatric psychiatry services, Alzheimer’s support group, on-going caregiver educational courses, the addition of evening activity programing, and purposeful rounding. We are excited about the continued professional growth of The Haven team members and the ability to offer more dementia educational opportunities to the community. I sincerely apologize for the experience you and your loved one had at our community. Please know that The Haven is committed to continually improving the services offered and providing the best of care to the Residents and families we serve. Warm Regards, Michael Thomas, Executive Director.

Seems like a nice place!

My loved one has only been here a short time, but so far things have gone very well! They really put a lot of effort into making her feel welcome. I think they do an excellent job in terms of the care, the facility itself is nice, and they even do a good job with the food!

Excellent memory care community

They do a very good job overall at The Haven in The Village. It is a community specifically geared towards memory care, and it is the best that I have seen. The room layout and decoration of the facility make it an easy place for those with memory issues to navigate, and the staff seem very well versed and trained with the sorts of issues their residents are facing. They also have a good variety of activities to keep everyone active and entertained.

Friendly and caring staff!

I think they do a great job overall at The Haven! It's a clean, well kept community, and the staff have all been very friendly and helpful! They provide excellent care for their residents, and they seem to have plenty of activities and events going on to keep everyone entertained!

Very nice community!

Overall things have gone very well with The Haven! It's a very nice community that has a lot to provide for its residents. The staff are very warm, both to the residents as well as any family members who visit. They learn the names of all the residents and everyone who comes to visit, and always greet you by name! This started off as only daycare and temporary respite stays, but as time went on they really impressed us and we realized they'd be great as a long term option as well!

The Haven is a Godsend for Our Family

I looked at 7 memory care facilities in Greenville for my stepmom before selecting The Haven. I have never regretted my decision. The staff is wonderful and expert in dealing with dementia residents with compassion, kindness and skill. The facility is lovely and always spotless. The food is good and the activities varied. The Haven is a godsend for our family.

Not impressed by what I saw

This place just looked depressing, and was not clean. There was a noticeable odor, and the people just didn't look well cared for in general. I didn't stay long enough for a tour, as I could tell this wouldn't be a good place for my loved one.

So sorry I took my Grandmother there.

My grandmother was there for two years. She always needs her walker to walk. She had a bed alarm that would sound when she got out of it. We thought something was wrong so we placed a camera in her room. We have it on video where after getting out of bed for the bathroom, she fell backwards. After a few minutes of alarm going off, two staff members come in to find her on the floor. They just place her back into bed without checking her or reporting the fall. Another time, she again gets up for the bathroom, a nurse comes in and detaches the alarm and leaves out not even turning on the lights for her. She is allowed to strip her bottoms off that are wet by herself. She then is allowed to go back to a urine soaked bed naked to sleep until the morning shift comes in. I take the videos to the Director, Catrina Smith. She said she would look into it. A couple of days later, two different night staff go into grandmother's room and turns the camera around so you can not see what is going on in the room. At that point in time, Ms. Smith was the only one at the Haven who knew where the camera was. I can not prove it but truly feel she told them about the camera. Since she has been there and Five Star bought the place, it has declined. The living area is always dirty. The food is just nasty. They never have enough staff taking care of these people who can not speak for themselves. We moved grandmother out of there. I would not move another loved one there.

Sorry I took my Grandmother there!

Great Find!

We just placed my mother in this Alzheimer's memory care facility. Mom has so far been to 4 places, 2 were nursing homes and I have to say that this is by far the best we have found. She is well taken care of. The staff is wonderful, helpful and caring.....all of them! That is hard to find anywhere. We are thrilled to have her in such a great place and would highly recommend this facility to anyone. It is a little farther than we would have liked, but it is worth the extra time it takes to get there (about 25 minutes away). Mom loves it!!

Beautiful facility. staff not as att...

Beautiful facility. staff not as attentive as need to be. This was the first place my mom lived when diagnosed w/ dementia/ alheizeimers. She lived there for almost 2 years.

Liked this one very much. 3 levels o...

Liked this one very much. 3 levels of care for the progression of memory disease, newer and nicer facility.

The Haven offers all the amenities and services of assisted living, but includes specially trained staff who are focused on the needs of residents with memory impairment. Three neighborhoods are designed to accommodate the different stages of Alzheimer’s and related dementia. We consider it a privilege to extend special care to those individuals with dementia, and we encourage you to visit with us and learn more about The Haven and our unique program.

Each of The Haven’s 48 apartments is a well-planned, customized environment providing residents with a simplified, safe home. Each neighborhood has a secure, landscaped courtyard with a screened porch, raised planting beds for easy gardening activity and a walking path The foundation of our program is licensed nursing professionals on-site, and caregivers who are specially trained to work with the memory impaired. Additionally, our Activity Director develops and coordinates a variety of stimulating social and physical activities.