The Groves, A Merrill Gardens Community - Goodyear, AZ

Mixed feelings

The facility overall is beautiful & well kept. There are ample activities for those who want to be involved. The food is very good for this type of facility, good variety, & the 12 hr open dining and snacks allows a lot of liberty. Overall a good choice for independent living - more of a challenge when you have to move into assisted care.
The medical director (RN) controls the care level assignments & it is rather unclear as to how they decide what price you should be charged - 1 day it's $400 then next day its over $1200. The caregivers (aids) seem to be kind & helpful, but the facility is constantly short staffed, so they are over worked & hurried/stressed. The nursing staff who handle things like medications can be rude/ condescending to the patients instead of respecting their dignity.
Communication can be an issue. It has been hard to get an actual appointment when I need to discuss my loved one's care - just have to catch the director on the fly - which makes it hard to address concerns in full and get on the same page.
If I had it to do over, I would probably had placed my loved one elsewhere, but since elders can be traumatized by moves, we are just trying to make this work (for now anyway).

A Horrible Experience

My loved one was only here for three days. When they initially evaluated him, they assured me that they would be able to care for him. However, it became clear very quickly, that that was a lie. My loved one needs assistance getting out of bed, and he isn't very heavy. Still, the staff at The Groves were not equipped to help him. Instead, they told him to just stay in bed. They did not help him up, they did not change him, and they did not move him. I was able to take him out of The Groves, but when all was said and done, my loved one had pressure sores, cuts, and little dignity. I absolutely cannot recommend this community to others after the experience we had.

Amanda Warren

We appreciate receiving this information and our General Manager would like to speak with you further about this feedback. Please contact us at [removed].

Many different levels of care are available here

My Mom is here currently and she really likes their “anytime dining” policy. The dining area is open from 7am to 7pm. They have certain foods they offer that are the same thing every day and then they have plenty of other options to choose from. The staff seems friendly and nice and we haven’t had any problems with them. There are lots of activities going on during the week like bingo and church services on Sundays. They even have events going on for the holidays. They really have a lot for the residents to participate in and stay active and socializing. The facility is kept very clean and housekeeping comes by once a week. When I saw this facility, the staff, and the cleanliness, I decided it was the best. Honestly, I don’t think I could’ve found a better place.

Amanda Warren

We are glad to hear that your mom is enjoying our Anytime Dining program. We are very proud of this program so this feedback is great to hear. It sounds like your mom is enjoying many of the activities as well!

My wife and I have no complaints

My wife and I are here currently and have been for a couple of months and so far things have been okay. I’m impressed with the staff and they’re doing an excellent job. They’ve been very, very helpful. The food is nice in the dining room, but in the memory care area it seems to be redundant and they don’t offer a whole lot of options. There’s plenty of it, though, and it’s very nutritious and palatable. It just seems like you get the same thing every day for breakfast, but that’s okay. The facility is kept pretty clean, but they’ve never been in to my apartment to clean it and that might be because I’m still able to clean it. They’ll make my wife’s bed and help her get dressed, though. We don’t have any issues with the staff or the other residents. My wife doesn’t always eat very well but the staff is there to help her eat every time. I’ve already recommended them to others.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for writing this review for The Groves. We are glad to hear that you and your wife are enjoying our community. This feedback is very helpful for us and we plan to share it with our team members.

High turnover rate with the staff

My cousin has been here since the middle of June and at first I was very pleased, but it hasn’t been great since. We’ve been having trouble with a lot of miscommunication and have even had to hire our own caregiver that will be going in every once in a while to make sure the staff are doing the things they need to. They don’t have enough people working there and something has happened within the last month that leads me to believe there’s been a high turnover rate. The facility lost my cousin’s burial instructions and I don’t think the office is as efficient as it could be. My cousin is in the memory care unit and is not all there and it feels like the community is not giving us the whole story on what’s going on with her care. They do keep things pretty clean, though, and that’s something I like. Another positive is that it’s the closest community to my cousin’s son’s home so he’s able to visit her whenever he likes.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for reaching out to us. We are sorry to hear that you have concerns regarding communication as it relates to your cousin. Please call us at [removed] and ask to speak to our General Manager if you are willing to share any additional information.

Settling in

My father-in-law is at this community and he really likes it and settling right in. I only have one request for the caregivers or staff to always call me first before they do anything for him, and they are working on that. They come in and clean and do his laundry. The food is good and he has a choice of the main meal or a variety of other things to order. The staff is nice and caring. Once he makes more friends he will join in on the activities. It has a real nice courtyard area with 4 fireplaces which dad loves. I would recommend this to my friends and family.

Seems to be perfect for him. Three meals a day at any time between 7 and 7. Close. clean and bright. Residents seem happy and the staff engages with them.

Amanda Warren

We are glad to hear that The Groves seems like the perfect fit! We are proud of our community and the services we provide residents.

Not a good fit

It was not a good fit for my loved one at The Groves, A Merrill Gardens Community. If you are totally independent and don't need care it might be a good fit for that person. It is super clean, and the staff is very friendly. It is very noisy and chaotic with a lot going on. You might find a resident or two sleeping in the lobby as you come in. You have to have all prescriptions go through their pharmacy and my doctor had problems getting my loved one's medication on hand for her to take. I needed my loved one's medication and food intake monitored. This was not a good fit for us.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. We are sharing your information with the community team. If you are willing to provide additional details, please contact our Vice President of Operations at [removed].

It's Nice To Have Visiting Doctors

It is going great, although I do have some concerns. I see there is not enough workers, with the exception they had some extra staff and some did not look familiar. The meals are great for my mom. I recently had a walker dropped off and we can't find it. I do like how they have a visiting dentist, he went to see my mom and did some x-rays. That was great and I did not have to take time off from work.

My father's good care

I like the care at this community.The staff is very caring to my father's needs. The community is clean and the environment is nice for him. I like knowing that he does like the menu of the health meals that are available. They do offer my father to participate with the others in activities that are offered. We would recommend the care and the value of this community to other families.

A tour for care

We toured this community for care for my mom. This was a nice commumity. We liked the cleanliness of the community and the staff were nice and caring. They offer a nice variety of meals. Activiites are offered. We would suggest that other families tour this community for the care of a loved one.

Absolutely loved this facility. The energy of both staff and residents was great. Only licensed to care for 60+ so it didn't work for us. But it was a place that I, as a 35 yr old, would love to retire to one day!!

Amanda Warren

We are so happy to hear about your experience at The Groves. This is wonderful feedback and we are excited to share it with our team.

Mom Is Doing Great

I know my mother is in good hands at this community. She is doing great and has adjusted very well to it. They do a good job with keeping her room and the community very clean. The staff have been very nice. They are helpful and attentive as well. There activities offered if she ever wants to participate. I'am comfortable with the care they are providing her with. I would recommend it.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this positive feedback for The Groves. I am glad to hear that your mother is doing well. Please let us know if there is anything additional we can do to provide a great experience for you and your mother.

Taking Good Care Of Dad

It has been a very good experience for us here at this community. This is a new facility. So they are still trying to work somethings out, but so far they are trying their best. They have a new manager and she is making some great improvements to the community. The staff is great, they are very responsive to my concerns. They are really on top of things. There are wonderful activities offered. The meals are great, the food is very good quality. They have an excellent chef. Everything is working out very well.

awful

The place is beautiful but it's understaffed especially servers, med techs and caregivers. I heard a man slipped on a wet floor and was on the ground for four hours!! Caregivers didn't even noticed.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for taking your time to share this review with us. We take this feedback very seriously and we will review the information carefully. Please reach back out to us directly if you are willing to share any additional feedback.

A warm, caring home

My mom has been at the Groves for a little over a month and we couldn't be happier! Every staff member is warm, caring and intuitive to the residents' needs. Her transition has gone more smoothly than I ever thought possible! I would highly recommend The Groves for your loved one's care needs.

Amanda Warren

We are so glad to hear that you and your mom are happy with The Groves. Our team works very hard to provide a warm and caring environment for residents, so it is wonderful to hear that this is being experienced.

A Place to Call Home

When I began my search for an Assisted Living home for my elderly parents I had no idea how time consuming it would be. I then signed up for a website to help me narrow down the choices in my area. I knew my Mom was having much difficulty caring for my Dad who was suffering from Vascular Dementia. I toured several Assisted Living facilities before I toured The Groves. I was very impressed with the beauty of The Groves inside and out. The apartments were very spacious. The staff were so friendly and helpful, answering my many questions. They have a Memory Care unit which was so nice. It was so nice knowing that as my Dad's condition declines, their life would not be disrupted by having to move to a Memory Care facility. I can not say enough about the caring staff, from Housekeeping to the General Manager.

Amanda Warren

We are so pleased to hear about your positive experience moving your parents to The Groves. We appreciate you taking the time to write us this review, and we will share your kind words with all of our team members.

Highly recommend The Groves

This is a brand new facility that has been open less than 3 months. We moved my mother-in-law in two weeks ago. The staff at The Groves have been very helpful and supportive as she makes the transition to her new home. We are thankful this community is available for her to live and know when the time comes that she needs memory care all we need to do is move her to the other side of the building. The cost is typical for the services, amenities and care being provided.

A beautiful facility

It's a beautiful facility. It's very elegant with a lot of beauty, which is what my husband needed. The staff could not be more supportive and helpful. They just opened when I put my husband there. The facility is 5 minutes from where I live. I'm very happy with it. My overall rating of this property is 5 stars. I rated the care services and activities 4 stars because they just opened. They are just getting on their feet.

very welcoming

The Groves, A Merrill Gardens Community was very welcoming when we got there and they have been very good with my dad. They have done a really good job engaging him, taking good care of him, and making sure he is right at home.