The Gardens of Green Ridge - Scranton, PA

Made me feel as ease

Took a tour, very apprehensive at first in making a decision, however we were impressed with the atmosphere, clean, staff was very understanding, explained everything thoroughly, and the facility was updated and vibrant.

moving in

took a tour last week with my father and he loved it. we stayed and had dinner and the food was delicious then he was able to participate in a game of bingo with other residents and he felt right at home. the staff was so welcoming and friendly it was an excellent experience. needless to say he will be moving it at the [date removed]!

mom is happy and so are we

staff was extremely helpful and friendly; made the transition not only easy for my mother but for myself and my family as well. we go to visit every weekend and are thrilled with the care and quality of life gardens continues to provide her. she is always participating in tons of activities and socializing with other residents. everything has changed for us and for her since she has moved in and we couldn't be more thrilled with our decision

Feels like home

I had the pleasure of touring this facility. The environment was pleasing, clean, and the residents had smiles on their face. Everyone I came in contact with was friendly

Beware. Short staffed, poor nutritional offerings, focused primarily on profit

This started out as a great place for mom when they first opened. Four years later, it's clear huge cuts have been made to staff, care, and nutritious meals.
What's still good? The staff members are kind and caring. The facility itself is nice and spacious. Nothing special, but adequate. What's bad? The facility is so understaffed that residents sit in their own waste for hours before being helped. Residents who need to see a doctor are not provided any assistance getting to that doctor - they must arrange their own transportation. If they choose to see Dr. [Removed] (who is listed as the doctor for this and many other facilities with hundreds of patients), the wait is weeks long. When a resident is going through the transition from ambulatory to needing a wheelchair, for example, that three weeks is translated into multiple falls requiring hospitalization simply because a wheelchair cannot be approved by Dr.[Removed]. Unacceptable.
If you send a family member here, be sure you can afford to hire a private nurse or a care assistant to come in regularly to check on your loved one, or be there daily to assist, as I see some families do.
I'm also deeply concerned about the nutritional value of the food. We absorb fewer nutrients as we age - fresh, wholesome food becomes even more essential. High sodium, empty calorie food like hot dogs, mac and cheese and pasta simply do not provide the nutrients residents need. There is a salad offered - but iceburg lettuce and tasteless tomato offer little nutritional value.
I doubt this facility would pass a thorough inspection - especially in light of the patient/care giver ratio. It's a highly profitable mechanism for the owner company, however. My mom fell multiple times and was sent to the hospital each time - nobody was aware that she was dehydrated, malnourished and needed extra care. SO disappointed in the Gardens - we were big fans when it first opened.

Nice tour

We toured The Gardens of Green Ridge. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. It was a clean and well-kept community. It reminded me too much of a nursing home, and my loved one needed a more lively environment.

Work In Progress

So far it is still a work in progress for my uncle here at this community. We are still going through a transitional period. The staff is kind and trying their best to make him comfortable here. He has a some problems, so we are trying to get that under control. I like the fact they are willing to work with me in regarding his care plan. Overall I'am hoping things continues to go in a positive direction.

Excellent Care for Mom

My mom was taken care very good here. the staff is helpful and caring. The community is clean. The food is very good and a nice variety. Activites are wonderful. I would recommend this community.

Review of The Gardens of Green Ridge - Scranton, PA

Biggest scam to Seniors. High rents with levels of care : medication fees with one full month's rent due prior to admission that is non-refundable. Poor nursing care; short staffed. Place should be shut down by the State.

Not like it's advertised

Where to begin...I'm a family member. I'll start with my initial reactions. The grounds are awful, messy and no place to relax in this nice weather other than a couple of seats in front and they are always filled. The patio areas seem to me like big cages with broken furniture. Not sure what happened with those. Inside, it's a clean, newer building. The front desk woman, Bernece, is lovely and very helpful since day one. The home is not very creative in it's design choices inside but still has that new feel. No obvious smells in the hallways, no signs of issues at a glance, it seems clean. Having talked with some of the other people who live there on my visits, they seem fairly pleased with the physical living arrangements as they are. Spent a little more time there and spoke to those residents and some issues became a little more apparent. I'm semiretired so I make some visits, usually in the morning, but also have visited during the evening a few times. I will add that I'm retired from health care so I know a little bit about regulations. Staff and staffing seem not so good (actually in all honesty, it seems bad). I heard someone yell and saw someone sitting on the floor in their room one day. I was the one who went to find a staff member and it took forever and apparently there is no nurse in the building. No one is even in the hall at night and a couple of lights were on for a very long time several times and staff attitudes seem very cold. I've heard them complaining in the hallway. My family member told me they complained to the administrator of the place and his attitude was "even worse". I've actually witnessed him admonishing loudly someone in the hall. I won't go into it here but it was mean and very inappropriate for me to hear. I hope that doesn't happen often. I do know about HIPPA and common respect. Other residents nearby during a recent visit heartily told me that nothing they have asked for has gotten done. "we asked him at a meeting but nothing ever changes" "he doesn't even talk to us""what are you going to do, other places in the area are worse" "the food is terrible but they don't care, they're cheap" "I don't want to complain, I'll get in trouble with him" I know they seem to have a big turnover because everyone is different often. It seems to be getting worse there instead of better. I don't make the decisions for my family member but I know it's expensive. I suggested a move at one point but they don't want to and that part isn't my business.

very good

My mother is staying at The Gardens of Green Ridge and it has been a very good experience with them. They have been very understanding and very good in all areas.

Friendly, helpful staff!

Overall things have gone very well with The Gardens of Green Ridge! Everyone has been very nice. They were helpful and polite during my tour, and explained everything perfectly. It's a nice looking, clean place, and they take great care of the people who live here. One word of advice that I'd give to other families who are looking is if you are interested in a room somewhere put a deposit down, even if it's just a small one, they can go fast!

Best place for your parents if they need dementia care

From the minute we walked in the door at The Gardens of Green Ridge we knew this was the place for our Mom to live. We were greeted with friendly, warm smiles by the staff. We went on a tour and we were very pleased with the amount of time that was spent with us, all of our questions were answered without us ever needing to ask a single question. Our tour was such a positive experience that we moved our Mom right in. She lives in their dementia wing and we are very pleased with her care and the staff are truly caring , loving people. They throw great parties and they go all out. This is a top notch place to be if your Mom or Dad needs to be somewhere . We sleep at night knowing she is in great caring and loving arms. God Bless this wonderful place.

CONCERNS

We are having a VERY hard time communicating about Mom's pills. She may be forgetful, but she knows her pills. We have requested them to be given at breakfast and dinner MANY times and they still are not. Also, she is not getting them all. What else do we have to do? If they are not given properly tomorrow (Sat.) and Sun. we will call whomever is above the director at Saber in Green Ridge. We thought we were getting good care as far as everything is concerned. We also signed a blank care plan which we were told we would get before we left for FL. Did not get this. Please advise - are thinking this was not the Assisted Living to place Mom in.

Nice place, overall

Things have gone very well so far with The Gardens of Green Ridge! It's a nice looking, clean facility, and it is in a nice area of town. The staff are very friendly and take great care of the residents. One thing I'd like to see them do better with is their activity schedule. It can be a little unpredictable, and I'd like to see them do more off-site trips.

Friendly and responsive staff!

They're doing a great job at The Gardens of Green Ridge, I like it here very much! It's a clean, nice looking place, and the staff are all very friendly. They're always happy to help and respond quickly if you call for them. I also think they do a good job with the food here!

#2 choice. Clean, nice layo...

#2 choice. Clean, nice layout of semi-private rooms.

SO glad to have found Gardens of Greenridge

Our Aunt and Uncle have been at the Gardens of GreenRidge for almost a year now and we are so pleased to have found this caring home staffed with such competent people.
Our Uncle is in the memory unit - he needs a higher level of care and the ability to be kept from wandering away. His wife is literally on the other side of a locked door, able to see him and visit with him at any hour of the day or night - but without the constant worry that he will fall or wander away when she is sleeping. It's a good solution that allows them to be together without worry.
Our Aunt is quite mobile, active, and socially engaged. And although neither wanted to leave their home of 60 years, she is no longer lonely, and no longer worries constantly about the ability to care for her husband. When our Aunt took a fall, she was placed in the hospital care portion of the Gardens of GreenRidge next door, and received excellent physical therapy. She is now back up walking around and feeling great.
She loves the weekly bath in the deep soaking tub (attended by staff member) and the in-home hair stylist appointment each week. She raves about the meals, and loves seeing so many people she knew from years ago with whom she had lost touch.
My husband and I are very pleased that the staff welcomes our visits, never asks us to call ahead, and always seems happy to see us. The facility is brightly lit, well taken care of, and smells fresh. Our Aunt and Uncle have good things to say about everyone and about the facility itself. Yes, they miss living at home, but both seem less stressed and are adjusting to a new style of life.
We feel so fortunate that my sister-in-law and her husband found this facility, made the arrangements to have our Aunt and Uncle accepted here, and have a peace of mind that our family is well taken care of. We highly recommend a visit.

The facility and the staff ...

The facility and the staff are phenomenal, but we have been 'burned' by false advertising of 'independent living/personal care' places. My mother will not go to such a place until she is senile or bedridden at this point.