The Fountains at Boca Ciega - South Pasadena, FL

The Fountains at Boca Ciega Bay offers extraordinary rental retirement living in a gracious waterfront setting, where pelicans soar, dolphins play and palm trees sway. It's a tropical landscape filled with the brilliant hues of hibiscus and birds of paradise. See if anythings biting on our fishing dock. Ride across the bay on our pontoon boat for lunch at a local restaurant. Attend a classical concert at Ruth Eckerd Hall. Hike through a tropical splendor on the Pinellas Trail. Catch a ball game at Tropicana Field.

Whatever you delight in, The Fountains makes it possible.

The Fountains offers services and amenities to bring out the personal best in everyone, and to allow residents the freedom and independence to choose whatever they wish to do or to be. Services are expertly performed by dedicated, well-trained professionals and are tailored to meet the residents' needs and desires. Dine in comfort with your neighbors in our dining room, where each course is attentively served by courteous wait staff. The wonderful aromas and flavors of the variety of entrées tastefully complement the elegant decor. With our efficient housekeeping and responsive maintenance, your home will always be well-kept. And our transportation service is ideal, offering a variety of planned excursions to local points of interest and scheduled trips to shopping centers and medical complexes.

The Fountains at Boca Ciega is an independent living, assisted living and memory care facility located on 14 acres of lush, tropically landscaped grounds in the neighborhood of St. Petersburg in the highly desirable location of South Pasadena.

Information on Pasadena

St Petersburg, South Pasadena benefits from an average walkability score, a low average age of residents and generally mild weather. There are a vast array of services in place to support veterans.

- Walkability: St. Petersburg of South Pasadena has an average score of 43 from Walk Score , which means that most errands will require the use of a car.

- Average Age: The average age of residents in St. Petersburg, South Pasadena is 42.1.

- Senior Communities in the Area: There are over 250 senior communities in the area of South Pasadena.

- Average Weather: In St. Petersburg, South Pasadena, the summers are long, hot and wet whereas the winters are short, cool and windy. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 56 to 89 degrees Fahrenheit and is rarely below 46 or above 93 degrees Fahrenheit.

- Veteran's Services: Veterans of St. Petersburg, South Pasadena can benefit from access to the Bay Pines VA Healthcare System which enables them to access a variety of services including a chaplain service, eye care, legal services, mental health services, pharmacy services, social work services and more.

Transportation

St. Petersburg, South Pasadena has a variety of ways for seniors to get around and enjoy this beautiful area.

- Buses: Residents of St. Petersburg can benefit from a bus service run by the Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority that offers reduced fares to seniors.

- Trains: There are Amtrak trains that serve St. Petersburg and the surrounding areas with reductions to fares available for seniors.

- Taxis: There are a variety of taxi services available to the residents of St. Petersburg, south Pasadena including Discount Taxi, Downtown Yellow Taxi, and Town Taxi. Uber also operates in this area meaning that seniors are able to download the Uber app on to their phones and have easy access to instant taxis, without the hassle of making a phone call.

Health and Safety

The are several healthcare facilities in St. Petersburg, South Pasadena, including two large hospitals. The crime rate is St. Petersburg, South Pasadena is lower than the national average, and in most instances is lower than the average for the state of Florida.

- Hospitals: St. Petersburg, South Pasadena has a variety of healthcare facilities available to residents including the St Petersburg General Hospital and the Palms of Pasadena hospital meaning that residents will more than likely not have to leave the local area if they require any medical treatment.

- Crime Rate: St. Petersburg, South Pasadena has a violent crime rate that is lower than the national average, with only 2.36 per 1000 residents being victim of a violent crime, compared to 3.8 per 1000 nationally and 4.62 per 1000 for the state of Florida.

Sports and Leisure

There are a variety of sports and leisure facilities available to seniors ranging from a yachting club and golf course, to more tranquil activities such as aerobics and yoga.

- Golf Course: Residents of St. Petersburg, South Pasadena can enjoy the Pasadena Yacht and Country Club, Twin Brooks Golf Courses and St. Petersburg Country Club.

- Gyms: Tree of Life Yoga offers seniors in the area many styles of classes including Barre, Pilates, private instruction for yoga and personal training.

Shopping and Entertainment

St. Petersburg, South Pasadena has a wide range of activities and amenities for seniors to benefit from, all of which are located for easy access from The Fountains at Boca Ciega.

- Shopping Centers: There is the South Pasadena Shopping Center that accommodates all residents' needs, as well as the Bayside Shops and 34th Street Crossing Shopping Center.

- Restaurants: There are well over 300 restaurants in and around St. Petersburg, South Pasadena meaning that there is truly something for even the fussiest of taste buds.

- Cinemas: Residents of St. Petersburg, South Pasadena can enjoy the stadium-style seating at Cobb Tyrone Luxury 10 while watching the latest blockbusters.

- Libraries: Located in St. Petersburg, South Pasadena are the St. Pete Beach Public Library, West St. Petersburg Public Library and the St. Petersburg Public Library, so residents are spoilt for choice should they want to pick up a good book.

To the friends and families of those living at The Fountains, you should be endlessly grateful to [removed], Executive Director of The Fountains at Boca Ciera Bay and her dedicated team that devoted themselves selflessly over the past 5 days to ensure that your loved ones were safe and cared for. It was truly an honor to meet [removed] and a humbling experience to witness her astounding leadership in a time of need. After 5 days, with I imagine little or no sleep, she was still, calm, efficient at working towards their safe return and providing constant communication to her team and residents. She is a gift...to her residents, to her employees and to the community. For those searching for a retirement community for either yourself or a loved one, I truly hope you consider The Fountains. The commitment I saw to their resident's safety and the execution of their emergency plan was truly first class. [removed] and team, it would have been more of a pleasure under better circumstances, and we sincerely do hope you will return to Mission Inn Resort for a true leisure experience. Thank you for caring so much for the safety and well-being of your residents. You are a blessing.

Posted on behalf of Suzanne Burtzlaff.

Try it first for a few nights--I did, and I hated it.

I stayed here for a few nights to see whether I'd like it. For many reasons, I would not move into this place.

The food--mediocre and not tailored toward those with diabetes or heart disease.

The service--often rude or abrupt or nonexistent.

The activities--inane, with staff talking in a sing-song tone of voice to the residents as though they're children.

Cleanliness--I viewed health violations in the little café (which is hardly ever open). I also got sick from eating a sandwich there.

The hallways: they have a strange odor (mold?).

The rooms: cooled and heated by cheap motel-style units that cannot be sufficiently regulated (as another poster noted).

DO NOT LISTEN TO MANAGEMENT'S RHETORIC about "sailing pelicans and dancing dolphins." That's hogwash.

Also, since the building is on the water, all residents must be evacuated from the building even if the smallest storm is coming that way (not to mention that rust on the exterior of the building is a constant issue).

As another poster noted, management is SELLING A PRODUCT, and they'll say anything to get you to live here. Try it out free for a few days and decide for yourself.

Watermark Ambassador

I’m sorry to see that your impressions are out of line with our standards. I assure you we receive high marks for cleanliness and we take repertory health very seriously. We did evacuate to our sister community in Trinity for Hurricane Irma but we certainly do not have to evacuate for every little storm in the area. I encourage you to visit our Irma page on our website to learn more about our commitment to resident health and safety. Please contact me at [removed] so I may learn more, address your concerns and discuss with our team. Sincerely, Suzanne Burtzlaff, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Suzanne Burtzlaff.

Things are going pretty well

There have been a few things that we have had to bring to managements attention and they are working to resolve them with us. Mom's room is smaller than she would like but the view from her bay window sort of makes up for that she said. The community is very nice, bright, clean and open and the staff is all friendly and willing to help. And mom being the active, social type has already started making friends. The dining room is nice and the food was great the first three weeks she was here but for some reason, there is a difference in it and it's not as good, plus depending on when you come down to eat sometimes it may be cold and the choices are not good. We have got mom signed up with the resident doctor program so she will be seen by her doctor there. And Once she is finished unpacking and getting rid of some stuff I'm sure she will start taking part in the activities and field trips they offer here. So it's one step at a time moving forward.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for sharing your experience; I’m glad to hear that you and your mother are satisfied overall. I’ll share your review with our dining services team to ensure we are achieving your satisfaction in every area. If you have more specific feedback on entrée choices she would like to see, or other ideas for improvement please call me anytime at [removed]. Sincerely, Suzanne Burtzlaff, Executive Director

Incredible Leadership during Hurricane Irma-Resident's Safety was Top

To the friends and families of those living at The Fountains, you should be endlessly grateful to [Removed], Executive Director of The Fountains at Boca Ciega Bay and her dedicated team that devoted themselves selflessly over the past 5 days to ensure that your loved ones were safe and cared for. It was truly an honor to meet [Removed] and a humbling experience to witness her astounding leadership in a time of need. After 5 days, with I imagine little or no sleep, she was still, calm, efficient at working towards their safe return and providing constant communication to her team and residents. She is a gift...to her residents, to her employees and to the community. For those searching for a retirement community for either yourself or a loved one, I truly hope you consider The Fountains. The commitment I saw to their resident's safety and the execution of their emergency plan was truly first class. [Removed] and team, it would have been more of a pleasure under better circumstances, and we sincerely do hope you will return to Mission Inn Resort for a true leisure experience. Thank you for caring so much for the safety and well-being of your residents. You are a blessing.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you Karen. We appreciate your recognition to the team for a job well done. We love what we do and it shows. Thank you for going above and beyond with your gracious, friendly, accommodating hospitality. It was an experience we will never forget; thank you for making it such a positive one. Sincerely, Suzanne Burtzlaff, Executive Director

Doing The Best They Can

Dad is doing okay here it's not exactly what he wants but for now it is where he needs to be. He has made some friends. He is not liking the food but that could just be him not being in a positive place right now. The staff has been okay. They seem to be professional and in light of the storm coming they already are being proactive and have emergency plans in place which eases my mind a little.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing The Fountains. I’m glad to hear your positive input and I encourage you to ask your Dad to complete dining service comment cards or speak with me directly to let me know what we can do differently to ensure he is satisfied with the dining choices and preparation. We always welcome feedback and are committed to constant improvement. Thank you for your acknowledgement of our professional approach to Hurricane Irma. Resident safety is always our top priority. Sincerely, Suzanne Burtzlaff, Executive Director

Couldn't Accept Both Parents

We had toured this community but what we were looking for was a place that was going to accept them one for the memory care side and one just for the assisted living side. Come to find out they had only one opening for one side but not for the other so this community wasn't an option. However, on the tour, I did sit down and visit with the residents and they said that they liked living there the staff was friendly and it was a good place.

Watermark Ambassador

Thanks for the high marks. I’m glad you had a positive experience when you visited and I hope we see you again soon. If you have questions along the way please feel free to call me at [removed]. Sincerely, Suzanne Burtzlaff, Executive Director

My opinion

I was not as impressed with the memory care area of this community as I was with the community we chose. The staff we met were nice and they seem to offer some nice amenities. I just didn't feel this community would work for my loved one.

Watermark Ambassador

Thanks for visiting and sharing your feedback. I would appreciate it if you could give me a call at [removed] to help me understand what we can do differently to make The Fountains the first choice for area seniors. We are focused on constant improvement and your insights would be very helpful. Sincerely, Suzanne Burtzlaff, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Suzanne Burtzlaff.

Everything is going just fine!

Everything is going just fine! The staff are making me feel very comfortable. The marketing director in particular made the transition process very smooth and seamless. Overall, things are still going very well!

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for sharing your experience with an online review. We value your opinion and we’re so glad you are satisfied and happy. Please stay in close contact and let us know what we can do to ensure you continue to thrive. Sincerely, Suzanne Burtzlaff, Executive Director

Tough Adjustment, but Overall Love Ones Doing Well

My love ones are doing pretty well since their move to this community. It has been a tough adjustment, but I know they are in good hands. The staff is good, they are taking good care of them, and their needs. The issue I'am having at the moment is some medication billing issues, hopefully they can correct the problem. Other than issue everything else is working out pretty well. They do go job with the maintenance around the facility, everything is very well maintained. This is community is working out well for my love ones so far, and I would recommend to my friends.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for sharing your review. We are committed to resident and family member satisfaction and I’m so glad you are satisfied with the experience. Please stay in close contact and let us know what we can do to ensure your loved ones continue to thrive. Sincerely, Suzanne Burtzlaff, Executive Director

Out of our price range

We really liked this community when mom stayed in the independent living area. They have two tall buildings. They offered activities every minute of the day. She made friends while she was there. The community is beautiful and the staff were nice. They offer great food. The memory care area of this community was just a little more expensive than what we were looking for.

Watermark Ambassador

I’m glad to hear that you and your Mom were satisfied and happy with our atmosphere, friendliness, food and programs. We review our prices on a regular basis to ensure the highest possible value and I appreciate your feedback. Please call me anytime if you have questions or if we can help in any way. Sincerely, Suzanne Burtzlaff, Executive Director

Not my favorite!

When I toured The Fountains, I thought it was too big for me. Also, it was priced a bit high, and I got a bigger room for the same price at another community.

Watermark Ambassador

Thanks for visiting! We find that after a few days folks settle in meet new friends – making the community feel smaller and intimate in size. We’re proud of the value we offer with extraordinary programs and bayside living but everyone has their own unique preferences and priorities. I’m glad you found the perfect fit for your needs. Thanks again, Suzanne Burtzlaff, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Suzanne Burzlaff.

Beautiful, but inconvenient

Needed a place to settle my elderly aunt quickly. A Place for Mom was very helpful. One of the locations recommended by the representative and the VA Hospital was the Fountains of Boca Ciega. The location was beautiful, the cost very reasonable, and multiple levels of care is offered. However, this was off-set by the lack of management's communication to one another and the failure to return several phone calls. Copies of paperwork were requested and never received. My aunt died unexpectedly and if it had not been for Claire Ferry, we would have had to pay an additional (2) months of rent. The elevators can best be described as a nightmare. Very small and frequently out of service. There is no service elevator to move large furniture pieces and no assistance provided by the Fountains to assist in moving. The R&M moving company has been moving household goods for many years to and from the Fountains and did an outstanding job.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m glad you found our setting beautiful, costs reasonable and appreciate the peace of mind that come with multiple levels of care. I apologize for the issues and am deeply sorry for your loss. If you have time to call me directly to discuss in further detail and help us improve I would greatly appreciate it. My direct line is [removed]. Sincerely, Suzanne Burtzlaff, Executive Director.

Care and comfort

This is a nice community with great care .. the staff are caring and attentive to her needs. The community is clean and we are happy that she really likes the variety of good meals and a nice dining area. She does stay active with the other residents. She is happy that is has a room on the bottom floor. We would recommend this community for the excellent care and the value for other families.

Bent over backwards to get mom moved in.

My mother moved here recently. She is still adjusting and stays in her room mostly. She has a really nice studio apartment and loves it. The staff is so friendly and helpful. The are very professional and made moving in very smooth. They bent over backwards for us.

No central air/heat in the individual apartments

Before you get carried away by the lobby, check out the apartments themselves. Note that they do not have central air/heat. Instead, they are cooled and heated by cheap motel-type wall units whereby the temperature is adjusted not by a thermostat but by buttons merely indicating cooler or warmer. The building itself has central air/heat, but not the individual apartments, making it impossible to set the temperature at a comfortable level without jumping up all the time to readjust the buttons (even in the middle of the night). That fact alone removed The Fountains at Boca Ciega Bay from my list.

Watermark Ambassador

I thank you for taking the time to write an online review but I’m sorry to see we received such low marks for our heating and cooling system. We don’t often hear about this as a concern from residents. I invite you to visit and enjoy lunch on us with a few of our residents to discuss. We value your opinion and wish you all the best in your search. Sincerely, Suzanne Burtzlaff, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Suzanne Burtzlaff.

Beautiful Community many activites and wonderful caring staff.

Not what we were looking for...

My sister was actually the one that toured The Fountains at Boca Ciega. The people were all friendly but they did not like the height of everything. The place felt more like a motel and was not homelike.

Watermark Ambassador

Thanks for the high marks and compliments on our friendliness. I’m glad you had a positive experience. If we can tempt you and your sister to visit again I’d be happy to introduce you to a few clubs, groups and ongoing programs. A return visit and getting to know a few residents really illustrates how a large community can feel smaller and more like home. Best of luck in your search and thanks again for visiting, Suzanne Burtzlaff, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Burtzlaff.

Great tour. Knowledgeable rep who answered all my questions

Happy with My Move Here

I really love this community. This was a good move for me. This is a lovely community with very kind people. The staff is great they are very helpful and nice. They do a good job with the keeping the community well maintained, and neat. Everything has worked out very well for me since my move here. I would recommend this community, it is a very nice place.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you so much for choosing The Fountains and for taking the time to share your review. We are honored to have you as a valued member of the community. Be sure to stay in close contact to let us know anything we can do to ensure you’re thriving. Sincerely, Suzanne Burtzlaff, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Suzanne Burtzlaff

I toured this community and felt it was bigger then what was needed. the staff was very nice and helpful.. the community was clean and maintained. I liked the activities that would have been helpful for my father. They had to many dining rooms and I felt that it might of confused him. My suggestion to other families is to see if this bigger community is convenient for a family member for care

A Great Place For Mom!

Everything is clean, the food is great, the view is unbeatable...and I can't say enough good things about the caring and genuinely kind people that have worked with us to get my mother settled here. For myself and my mother "Thank You All" for going above and beyond. What a great place for her to live!

A Great Place For Mom!

I can't say enough good things about the caring and genuinely kind people that have worked with us to get my mother settled here from Tennessee. For myself and my mother "Thank You All" for going above and beyond. What a great place for her to live!

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for sharing your experience in a review. It is our pleasure to ensure your Mom is thriving. Let us know if there’s anything we can do and we hope to see you soon. Sincerely, Suzanne Burtzlaff, Executive Director

Mom is happy at The Fountains

My mom moved into her new apartment at at the Fountains recently. She has a beautiful view and she likes it a lot so far. The staff is friendly, the food is good and there are many activities to keep her busy. The Fountains does a good job for the residents. My family feels good about her move.

Great Environment

Mom is doing good and she loves it here! I think it is a great place, the grounds are great, good at keeping it clean and the rooms are great. My mom's room has a great window view of the shoreline and allows brightness. The food is great almost like restaurant quality. This community has a nice environment.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you so much for reviewing The Fountains. It is our pleasure to have your Mom as part of the family. Let us know if there’s anything we can do to help her thrive. Sincerely, Suzanne Burtzlaff. Posted on behalf of Suzanne Burtzlaff.

The Fountains at Boca Ciega gets my recommendation!!!!

My husband is still getting acclimated to this community but so far it seems like a good move. He has not yet participated in any of the activities offered. The food is good and there are healthy choices. The staff are helpful, really kind and do back flips for the residents to help them.

Watermark Ambassador

Thanks for creating a review for our community I’m glad you are happy with the food and our dedicated team of associates. Please call us any time or speak with Community Life to suggest programs and activities he might enjoy. It’s a great way to get to know your new neighbors. Sincerely, Suzanne Burtzlaff, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Suzanne Burtzlaff

My Dad moved into The Fountains about 3 weeks ago. It is a very friendly, upbeat place. The staff is welcoming and so far, my Dad is very happy there. The view from his large room is beautiful! There are plenty of activities for him to get involved in.

I would highly recommend The Fountains to anyone looking for a great place to retire.

Review of The Fountains at Boca Ciega - South Pasadena, FL

Very nice place. Clean and everyone is well taken care of.

very pleased

My loved one lives in the memory care unit. We are very pleased with the level of care they provide at the facility. They offer different activities that they seem to enjoy.

Very nice place!

We're very pleased with how things have gone with The Fountains! The staff here is very friendly and helpful, and they were so generous with their assistance throughout the whole move-in process. They were flexible with the move-in dates, and always willing to lend a hand! It's been a big adjustment for my parents, and they're still trying to get settled in, but they've told us repeatedly how friendly and welcoming everyone here is. My one complaint would be that they need to improve the elevator situation, things really get slow when there are too many people trying to use them.

Very poor memory care

Our experience with The Fountains at Boca Ciega has been a very poor one. My loved one is on the memory care floor, and from what I have seen there is basically no actual "care" given to the residents. My loved one, and the other residents on the floor from what I can tell, are all heavily sedated and basically left sitting in chairs. We are moving our loved one out as soon as we are able.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that your experience has not met our high standards and yours. The points of your review do give me the opportunity to share the highlights of our Memory Care program, of which I am quite proud. In terms of care, we are staffed over two times the required AHCA staffing minimums in the state of Florida, with 5 Caregivers from 7a - 11p, plus a Community Life Assistant, a Director and a nurse. In terms of medications, all antipsychotic medications, as prescribed by residents’ physicians, are reviewed when a resident moves in, monthly and as needed or requested. As to resident activity, we have an average of 8-10 activities daily, including outings, and encourage residents to participate in them. Last week our residents went on a scenic bus ride of historic downtown St Pete. Last month six Memory Care residents attended what we call a “WOW Outing” to the Ringling Brothers Museum in Sarasota, Florida. Please do consider reaching out to me directly so that we can discuss your experience in more detail than I can go into here. I know that together we can ensure that you and your loved one are very happy and satisfied.

Best regards,
Suzanne Burtzlaff,
Executive Director
The Fountains at Boca Ciega Bay

Overall good

I felt the facility's are good, the views are spectacular. Most of the employees are very nice and the residents for the most part seem happy. But on the flip side there can be long waits for elevators and the wait staff isn't particularly friendly. My father has told me that you have to sit with people for meals, that can be a little bit of pain.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for your comments. We often hear that our associates are friendly, caring and fun, so I appreciate learning about your experience. I’ll speak with the dining services team and share your comment about the wait staff. We are committed to providing extraordinary service every encounter, every day and I will work with them to redouble this effort. As for the slow elevators, yes they do take longer during meal times. We have them on a routine “preventative maintenance” schedule to decrease down time and keep them running smoothly. Has your Father tried the “Hospitality” dining table? We established this to connect new residents and folks who are dining alone. We find that it often also has plenty of seats for folks who just prefer a quiet meal, as others at the table who are feeling sociable always seem to keep the conversations going! Please call me any time if you’d like to discuss any aspect of our community in more detail.
Thanks again,
Susanna Burtzlaff,
Executive Director

They are doing a very good job, and I have no concerns.

They are doing a very good job, and I have no concerns. The elevator situation can be a little difficult at times, especially meal times. I think the programs they have, and the tours and those kinds of things, the activities, are done exceptionally well.

Attractive location, older residents, great staff, older building

My parents were there for a short period of time. However, I stayed there for several weeks while my dad was in the hospital.

The people were good. I found them very responsive and accomodating, for instance, to my father's needs when he got sick.

The facility itself is dated; it's an older building. Air conditioning was kind of noisy.

The location is very nice; it's near the water. My parents chose it because it is near where they lived.

It wasn't what I was expecting. It's assisted living, but it had more of a nursing home feel to it. Many of the residents were fairly old; Three quarters were in walkers. My parents were in their 80s but still active, and they felt out of place.

Financially it was affordable. The food was good. Location was convenient.

Nothing but Good things..

I have nothing negative to say about this facility everyone was very helpful and attentive. Facility was clean and I received the attention I needed.

What I wish I knew before starting to look

My parents, brother and I all toured The Fountains at Boca Ciega Bay last spring as a placement for my parents who had both been diagnosed with different stages of dementia. Our primary concerns were that they received the proper care and that they could stay together. My mother was starting to develop mobility issues and was using a walker. The Fountains is a very large facility with different levels of care separated into clearly defined sections. Although the tour and interview process were very intensive, we were not really convinced that my parents were going to be placed in the correct living situation. The first person you meet at most of these facilities is a SALESPERSON. While most of them have very good hearts and are in the business because the truly care for the elderly, they are not medically trained elder care or memory care specialists. They are more like realtors.
My parents and the salesperson were steering toward independent living so that they could stay together in an apartment. Both of my parents have dementia! They would need daily housekeeping and eventually personal care for my mom. The facility wanted a steep charge to "set up" paint and renovate an assisted living apartment that would not be a a long term placement for my parents. Many of the services were "add ons" as housekeeping is included only 2 times a month. The Fountains seemed tired and old with narrow hallways and needed to be renovated to address many ADA and mobility issues. There also seemed to be so many people sitting in the lobby all dressed up with no where to go. It was kind of sad. We went with Brentwood Senior Living Community which has modern apartments in their memory care unit where my parents have privacy together, daily housekeeping and medicine management as part of the fee. The staff is wonderful and deeply committed with maintaining the dignity of each person. My take away from the process is this: The first person you meet will most likely be a sales person. Come with a list of what is important to you and your family. Look at the residents. Are they smiling and happy or just sitting there? Price is an issue with everyone at some level. Look at the overall value. Is everything included? Pay one price will ultimately be the best value as things will start to get added on pretty quickly in a pay for service facility. These facilities have empty beds and ALL negotiate. Example: 1/2 off the first couple of months. No move in fee. It cannot hurt to ask. And finally, follow your instincts. If it is not so bad or ok, keep looking. You and your family deserve a placement that has you going to sleep at night knowing that your loved one is in the right place, safe, well cared for and happy. (the happy on the resident's part may take up to 9 months but it does happen)

We really liked this place....

We really liked this place.it is close to everything we are familiar with.

I have been very happy with everyone ...

I have been very happy with everyone at The Fountains!

This place has done an excellent job ...

This place has done an excellent job so far, top marks across the board. It's a lovely place, the staff are friendly and provide excellent care. We looked into quite a few facilities during our search and this one was just head and shoulders above all the others we saw, and it is a great value for the excellent quality of the care.

The Fountains has been a good experience.

The Fountains has been a good experience. They are on the verge of being slightly understaffed. The food is a four out of five, it's good. The staffing is the only issue we have had there so far. I'm there weekly if not two to three times a week, generally it's positive everybody seems to be engaged with the residents, and their clients, and their jobs. Overall it's a good experience, but they are stretching it with the responsibilities they give their caregivers. For the price it was the best available option. Based upon what I've seen and know I would say that they are above average.

My dad is there and so far, his first...

My dad is there and so far, his first month has been going very well! He really likes the food compared to where he was. The room seems more bright. He has met quite a few nice people. Good Experience!

So Active! We Love It!

It has made a huge difference in my mom, just in the last couple of months. She in in independent living, but she gets two meals a day, transportation, and her apartment cleaned twice a month included in the cost. They have a lot of parties to celebrate; they had Oktoberfest, and they celebrated for Halloween. They have a pontoon, so they take them out on Boca Ciega Bay. They take them out to eat, they took them to tour one of the navy ships in the Tampa Bay Harbor, and they toured a couple of mansions on the market in the area. The Fountains blew out all preconceived notions of what these places would be like. The residents are all happy and busy and moving around. It's very, very active. They even have a 25 seat movie theater! They have a gym and physical therapy that will come there to work with people, so you can stay in the same facility no matter what your care needs are. Everyone has been wonderful there, my mother has really embraced it. She lived by herself in Iowa, but now she has made a lot of friends. When residents first move in, they assign a peer mentor to help the new resident get the hang of it there.

Not Worth the Price

Value was terrible. I had a one room bedroom and front room combined at the bottom of the scale, there was a good view of the bay, but there wasn't $2000/month value of being there. I got most of my care through the VA. There are no care services available at the fountains, and you only get two meals a day. There were a lot of activities available, but I'm in my 70's and you have persons there in their 80's and 90's so there wasn't a lot of interaction.

They are kind of expensive, and way t...

They are kind of expensive, and way too huge.

Felt Like a Cruise Ship

Very nice. It felt like a big cruise ship instead of a facility, kind of like a big party. As far as the assisted living, I was worried that it was too big and overwhelming for my mom. For independent residents, it would have been a blast to live there.

Almost great

Memory care supervisor and activity director are great!!! Beautiful grounds. Occasional issue with care but am glad I chose The Fountains for my mom overall.

The lady, she's a friend from church,...

The lady, she's a friend from church, but she don't need a whole lot of care, it's not perfect, but all in all I think it's pretty good. I guess her mother used to be there, she's happy there and she seems to be content. The main thing I hear her saying is communication, everytime she calls them to have them take her in the van to a doctors appointmentthey say it's booked or its full so she calls me to take her and she doesn't think they communicate with her like they should, but thats pretty much what I hear her complain about.

Reputation Precedes

We chose The Fountains because its location was convenient for my family to visit our loved one. They were also recommended by people we knew and when we asked about The Fountains only heard good things. Our loved one seems to be adjusting very well and is starting to look better. Her appearance looks healthier and fuller of life then she previously was. We had looked into 7 other communities, but we chose them and feel it was the right decision. (Can not rate Care Services because have not used them)

Positive experience

Our experience with The Fountains has been quite positive. My loved on is doing well, going to daycare and becoming stronger and getting better. So far it's been goibng really well.

This is the right size for us. High ...

This is the right size for us. High rise building. Also good location, great services. But the building was built in the 70s, the apartments are poorly laid out with dreadful kitchens. However, it's on our list of acceptable places so far.