The Crossings at Steele Creek - Charlotte, NC

We had a scheduled meeting and no one was there to great us - we called and only got an answering machine. The front door was locked and a number of people were trying to get in to see family but waited a long time for any staff.

Very nice facility but the available room was too small...190 sq. feet

Great Place

My mother was only there for a week before passing as she was in the end stage of glioblastoma. This is a new facility and the tenents seem cheerful. My two girls 1 and 4 spent some time with the other residents while we were there and every staff member seemed ok with them being there. Feels more medical than homey. Food was reasonably good. Medical staff worked with hospice folks without issue. Improvements in communication between overnight staff and front office are in progress but not really a big deal.

My mom's excellent care.

My mom is happy with the care that she is receiving here. The staff are very concerned and caring to her needs. She is participation when possible with the activities that she is offered. She does like coloring with others. The meals seem to be appealing. The community is clean and taken care of. We do feel we are getting a good value for the care that she is receiving here.

Worth taking a look at!!

This is a nice newer community. The staff I met were nice. It has a sitting room, however it had the look of a nursing home. They offer semi-private rooms and we were looking for a private room. This community did not seem as inviting as the one we chose.

love this place, my brother in law is very happy there.

Sad....Wish It Were Better....

Caring for the elderly with Alzheimer's/Dementia is diffidently a calling and something you do because you have a passion for them. I feel that the management staff and most of the staff does have this passion. But there are several BAD apples in the bunch. They are there to collect a paycheck and nothing more. They may not raise a hand to abuse them but they also do not go out of their way to go the extra mile. Meaning they lack "Common Sense."

Because they are not a skilled-nursing facility they are not required to staff a nurse 24hrs a day. Nurses are also limited to what they can do (not sure if by facility guidelines or laws). They do NOT remove stitches, staples or do minor bandage changes. To be honest I'm not sure what they do! There is an outside company that comes in to offer nurse/physician services.

I have found when dealing with my grandmother who has Dementia/Alzheimer's you have to break it down as you would a 2yr. Explain things slowly and clearly, and she has a low tolerance level for things that trigger tantrums. But in an adult body. This is NOT done by some of the staff!!

I have been VERY disappointed in amount of items that walk off, taken, misplaced or stolen from my grandmothers room. Not just socks, but lamps, pillows, walker, clock off the wall, clothes, etc.

I think this is known and management is trying to weed out those who need to be let go. The staff changes more than my grandmothers pee pad. Which makes it hard for grandmother to adjust and them to learn her triggers and things that can be done to redirect her when agitated or acting out.

It really makes me sad to have to find another facility. So far when comparing options they all seem to have their own issues.

Hollie Bragg

We’re sorry to hear about your disappointment with your care experience. We encourage you to discuss specific concerns with your executive director so that she can bring any outstanding issues to a quick resolution. Our staff does receive specialized, ongoing training for dementia care and resident interactions and we regularly evaluate. Family input is always an important part of ensuring that we maintain a consistently high standard of care

Doing the best they can with what they have.

My father-in-law is at The Crossings at Steele Creek and we are pretty happy with it. They are doing the best they can with what they have. But they could use some more staff. They are trying with the staff that they do have, the people are nice, but they seem to sometimes get behind. One time at around 6pm after dinner, my father-in-laws bed had not beed made yet, so he had no pillow cases or blankets to be able to lay down in bed. They don't make sure he wears a sweater when going outside in the cold. They keep the place pretty clean. The food is sustaining but not gourmet. They seem to have some activities like cards and brain game, but my father-in-law is used to doing things on his own time. He could use some encouragement to participate. The community did have an outbreak of the norovirus for two weeks. The quarantined but then raised the quarantine too soon and me and my wife both got sick after visiting.

Facility is approximately 18 months old. My relative is in memory care and has only been there 2 weeks, so my review is limited by time. I'm expecting good things, though.

Caring staff

Crossings is fine. He has fallen and broken his hip and he is in a rehab facility right now. The food is not good at Crossings. I think it is already prepared and it is salty. The staff is friendly and very caring.

Seems like nice facility. Danny [removed] seems very accommodating, however, time will tell if promises are lived up to. We plan to move our aunt there soon.

who would have thought?

I never would have found this "little gem" right in the middle, of Steele Creek-I happen to really like this part of Charlotte,NC. It is so clean and everyone is so friendly, I hope after people read this they take a tour-they will see the vast difference between, The Crossings at Steele Creek and "other" places out there. The resident/aide ratio is very,very good.

Sheila Madigan

Angela, Thank you so much for your feedback. We strive to create a positive environment here at the Crossings at Steele Creek, and glad we could help.

Sheila Madigan

Terrible .... Run.

Only One Complaint...

I only have one complaint, but the staff is great, the administrative part is wonderful. I love the facility, I love everything about it, except he happens to be in the memory unit and they have an outside courtyard, but it's completely enclosed, like you can't see out at anything, so there is nothing for them to look at.

really pleased

The Crossing at Steele Creek staff were excellent at transitioning my mom to living here. They went out of their way to accommodate her. The staff members here are very responsive. I am really pleased with this facility.

Wonderful and new. Very nice people who answered all our questions. Only one concern was that they are not contracted with Medicaid yet.

They are very nice and very informative.

So far I have been real pleased. They are very nice. They are also very informative. They keep me informed about my loved one. I don't feel like I have to check on her 24/7 . I feel good about the whole placement. It has been a really good experience. We are really pleased with the The Crossings at Steele Creek. It's a really nice community with a friendly atmosphere. I would recommend it to anyone.

Perfect

My dad has been at The Crossings for two months. He's settled already, and it's due to the friendliness of the staff. It is also located in an easily accessible spot on South Tryon.

Disappointing Experience

The facility is very clean and fairly priced however after 3 days we found they weren't honest with us and weren't equipped to handle my Dad's dementia ( combative outburst).

It was a terrible experience for the family and even though my Dad was only there 4 days they charged us for 8 days.

We signed the contract on April 30th to get the special. We moved him in on May 4, 2015 he had the outburst on Wednesday May 6, 2015 morning before daylight. He was removed from the facility and sent to the hospital only later to return that evening only if my brother would spend the night with him to watch him . We had a meeting Thursday May 7, 2015 at the facility and decided that we needed to move my father. We had have him in Thomasville, NC now in the behavior area to try to get his medications adjusted to try to keep him calm.

We were given the option to bring him back once his meds were adjusted and he no longer demonstrated the combative behavior and they hold our money while he's at the other facility. NOT!!!

Hope this helps. This was not the right fit for my Dad but it may be for your loved one just know they are new and not equipped to handle special circumstance patients NO matter what they tell you. Keep in mind they are trying to fill those beds. I would hate for another family to experience what my family experienced.

A Safe haven for my Mom

My Mom moved to the Crossings over 3 months ago. Although this is a relatively new facility, it is run by an experienced and caring management team and staff. They care about my mom as an individual and demonstrate that by working together to understand what her needs are and how best to address those needs. As a result, she is calm, happy and therfore less likely to fall. (She was at another memory care facility whose approach was to require me to hire a private sitter in addition to the monthly care costs or leave--they don't do that here.) Mom likes the food, has therapy from onsite physical, occupational and speech therapists (who are very caring and helpful), and enjoys a variety of hands on activities and regular outings.

Hollie Bragg

Ann,
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding The Crossings at Steele Creek! We take pride in our community, in the care we provide, and treat our residents like family. I am elated to hear your satisfaction. Thank you!

Best value, but understaffed.

A new facility. Rooms are a bit small, but the value for a private room/bath is very reasonable for the Charlotte area. We were able to negotiate waiving the one-time entrance fee. They are very much understaffed at this point. Staff has been very friendly. Security is lacking a bit. They have a doctor that visits the facility which is very convenient. They do not have a good orientation program to the facility, but that is probably due to being understaffed. If you are trying to find the location on Google Maps or Waze, it won't take you to the right place.

Great place

We have been extremely pleased with the care my father-in-law has received. They are very patient and deal with his confusion and agitation with calm redirection and distraction. Dealing with Alzheimer's can be very frustrating for family members, but allowing someone else to provide his care we can now be his family again. They have an amazing staff an a very spacious locked unit. When we leave him, we know he is safe.

A wonderful place!

A caring place for your loved one

My mom is a resident at The Crossings and I couldn't have found a better place for her to live. Every single person in there has been caring, kind, accommodating and loving. She loves it there, loves the residents and the staff. I have piece of mind knowing she's being well-taken care of day and night. The facility is clean, beautifully decorated and managed well. I am thrilled to have my mom there!

The Crossings at Steele Creek is a ve...

The Crossings at Steele Creek is a very good place. The facility is great. It's brand new and beautiful. They offer family night once a month and are starting to have more and more activities as the resident's fill in. I'm very pleased with the staff, and the attention they give he residents, the cleanliness of the facility, care provided, and services offered. I would highly recommend this place.

Couldn't be more pleased.

My mother has lived at the Crossings for a little more than a month now. She's very happy there. Because she's happy, my brother and I are happy too. She tells us, often, how well they look after her. She keeps telling us she's going to get so big that she won't be able to get through her door because they are feeding her so well. I've had some meals with her and the food has been very tasty, presented well, and a substantial portion. I have never left hungry.
She was resident number 5, as they just opened on July 18. Consiquently, not all of the activities are occuring as listed on the activity calendar, due to lack of participants able to do the activity. They do still have a substitute activity for those that are able to participate. I'm sure that will change toward the planned activities, as they get more residents. Some things have already changed as there are several more residents now.
She took her bird feeders and bird seed from home, and the maintanence person keeps them filled for her. She's very pleased with that, as she enjoys watching the birds.

The administrator is very reactive to the needs and care of the residents. Case and point, this past week, the administrator had left the facility and noticed multiple police cars nearby, plus two helicopters circling the area. She phoned the office and had the facilty put on lock down until they could get confirmation from the police that the situation was resolved. It turned out there was a robbery nearby and they were searching for the suspects, who were on foot.
Actions like that make us know that we made the right choice.

Crossings at Steele Creek

Brand new facility so there are a few growing pains but the staff is attentive, pleasant, and very accommodating.