Carolina Gardens at Rock Hill - Rock Hill, SC

City information

Walkability score: 29
Population: 69,967
The population of Rock Hill, SC has increased by 40% since 2000. The area, in general, is booming economically. It is the largest city in the county and the 5th largest city in the state.

The average age in the zip code: 34.5 years. This is young in comparison to the national and regional average. American cities are becoming younger while suburbs and small towns are aging.
Male: 46.6%
Female: 53.4%

The number of senior housing facilities in the zip code: 31. There are many facilities to choose from over a number of price points and offering different levels of care. The Carolina Gardens at Rock Hill offers intergenerational programs, positions helping with fundraisers and many other community involvement programs. They understand that community and connection are vital to living a happy, healthy life and want to ensure seniors get the socialization and access to the community that they need.

Average weather information: The average high temperature in July is 80 degrees. The average low in January is 42 degrees. Rock Hill has mild winters which lend to its lush greenery and thickly forested environment. This is a great place for those with arthritis because the cold season is so short and mild.

Veteran's facilities in the area: Rock Hill is very well outfitted for our veterans. There are Veterans Affairs Offices, multiple VFW posts, a veterans cab company, a Veterans Community Clinic and several VFW and Shriners outposts.

- Buses: Rock Hill Public Transit, June's Bus Company and Majestic Tours are the main buses running through town.

· Trains: AMTrak Commuter Trains and Public Transit are accessible in Rock Hills

· Taxis: AAA Carolinas Cab Company and the Veterans Cab Company provide taxi services to the Rock Hill community. Both companies are wonderful and come highly rated. The Veterans Cab company supports local veterans, which is another way that veterans can connect in the community and find support.

· Ride shares: Lyft and Uber ride-sharing is active in Rock Hill. Lyft rides start at $2 and Uber starts at $5. Check their websites for more information on ride-sharing services.

Health and Safety

Hospitals in the area: There are multiple places to access healthcare in Rock Hill. The Veterans Community Clinic, Piedmont Medical Center, Carolinas Medical Center, Piedmont Sleep Center, Presbyterian Medical Center, Novant Health Matthews Medical Center, Carolinas University Healthcare System are all hospitals within the Rock Hill metro area. There are dozens of small clinics where you can get general care.

The crime rate in the zip code: 28 crimes per 1,000 people. More than 68% of South Carolina Communities are safer than Rock Hill. Though the area is affluent in comparison to many other areas of South Carolina, the crime rate is still high.

Sports and leisure

Golf courses nearby: The Rock Hill Golf and Country Club is a good, safe place to pick up a game of golf. Likewise, the Waterford Golf Club, Pinetuck Golf Club and numerous other country clubs and golf courses offer good, clean fun in the Rock Hill area.

Golf is more popular with seniors in Rock Hill, but there is still a respectable number of tennis courts around, including Rock Hills Tennis Center and the TR Tennis Center. Other courts can be found at nearly every public park.

Gyms nearby - senior friendly (aerobics): Nearly every gym in Rock Hill is senior citizen friendly, but the gyms that specialize in seniors include Lifetime Gym, Anytime Fitness, and Norterre Healthy Living Center. Alternatively, try Gold's Gym and Planet Fitness.

Shopping and entertainment

Clothes Shopping nearby: There are literally dozens of stores to shop for clothes in the metro area. The most popular shopping destinations include the Rock Hill Galleria, Northwoods Square Shopping Center, The Commons at Winthrop, Shoppes at River's Edge, Monkey's and Mermaids, and the Overhead Station Gift Shop. For an off-the-beaten-path experience, try older strip malls dotting the city.

Grocery stores: Rock Hill loves its food, and you can find an abundance of grocery stores throughout the city, including ALDI, Harris Teeter, Earth Fare, Walmart Neighborhood Market, Food Lion, Las Americas, Publix, Bi-Lo, Save a Lot, Adam's Grocery, Dollar General, Green Street Superette, Benny's Grocery and others. You can find pretty much any type of food you want in this city.

Other restaurants: There are many eateries in Rock Hill. You can find ethnic food, comfort food, BBQ joints, steakhouses, vegan-friendly restaurants, coffee houses and more all over the city. They include The Pump House, Mchales on Main, The Dixie Pig, The Flipside Restaurant, Fuji Japan SC, The Yolk, Burgers and Barley, Michael's Rock Hill Grille, Rock Hill Diner, Hickory Tavern Rock Hill, The White Horse Restaurant, and much more.

Movie theaters: Regal Cinemas and AMC Classic Rock Hill provide plenty of screen time to the community.

Libraries: York County Library, Ida Jane Dacus Library, and York Technical College Library are the best and biggest libraries in the city, though there are small extension libraries all over the suburbs.

Senior-friendly salons (men and women): Smart Style Hair Salon, Evolve Hair Salon, Hers & His Hair Salon, and Hair Savvy Salon are the most popular salons for seniors. However, there are dozens of stylists and barbers in Rock Hill that deserve a chance. Don't be afraid to branch out.

Attractions: There is so much to do in Rock Hill! Thanks to the mild weather there are dozens of venues that are open year-round. Check these out for a little local flare and beauty: Glencairn Gardens, Fountain Park, Cherry Park, Ebenezer Park, Manchester Meadows Park, Rock Hills Parks and Rec, York County Visitors Center, Main Street Children's Museum, Winthrop Park, Fewell Park, Confederate Park, Canaan Zip Line Tours, Oakwood Acres Park, Museum of York County, and Westminister Park.

Religious facilities

Religious facilities nearby: There are more than 200 Churches, Temples, and Mosques in the Rock Hill, SC area. Some of these include Baha'i Faith, First Baptist Church, United Methodist Church, and the North Rock Hill Church.

I liked it!

Carolina Gardens at Rock Hill was a very nice tour. It is a beautiful and clean community. The staff seemed very friendly and helpful. Other members of our family chose another community based on the needs of our loved one.

The Apartment Is Very Spacious

So far the move to this community has been a good fit for my mother-in-law. The staff provide suitable care and now it is the matter of getting familiar with her needs. They have been attentive to her and she is happy with the meals and that has been helpful. She is participating in some activities and recently played bingo. Her apartment has a full size refrigerator and a full counter top. It also has enough space to use her walker.

Nice facility. Good pricing shows well. Pricing in line.

Mark Ting

Thank you very much for sharing these comments with us. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review!

My Visit To The Community.

The staff at this community were friendly and the community seemed clean. This community felt like more of a nursing home and not a homey environment.

Great Care, Clean, Need an Exercise Program

We are pleased with the care my Mother is receiving at Carolina Gardens. One thing thing that I feel lacking is an exercise program. The elderly need to continue to exercise. My Mom has her own program of walking that she is doing but to only offer exercise one time a week is not enough. It would be nice, especially for those that are still able to have an exercise room.

The grounds are nice!

This community is comparable in price to the one we choose. I liked this community as they serve sugar free desserts. The community looked clean and the staff were nice.

Memory Care at Carolina Gardens is a place for your loved one.

We moved our Mom into Carolina Gardens, Rock Hill at the end of March to the Memory Care. She has adjusted very well and much faster than we expected. We can rest assure that she is receiving 24 hour care and that is a huge weight lifted off the family. She has made several new friends and is actually enjoying her new home. The nurses and caregivers are great, they are all very compassionate and kind and you can tell they all communicate with each other. I highly recommend Carolina Gardens, Rock Hill.

It's like a building sitting in an open parking lot.

It's like a building sitting in an open parking lot. Not a lot of ambiance. No landscaping or trees or anything. I was not very impressed. This is not the place we chose.

care takers are great

Agape Senior Rock Hill care takers are great. They are very caring people. Sometimes I listen when they don't realize I'm there are they are genuinely nice and caring. Some of the residents that are more able I wish had something else to do. But I know the staff is trying. My experience has been great. The food is bland in the area that my husband is in and a lot of the residents have mentioned it. So that is one area I would like to see change. It's nutritional yes but they need to make it taste better.

Issues needing attention.

My husband has only been there for a short time (one week) So I don't feel that I can offer a good opinion at this point. However, laundry schedule seems to be a problem when a resident has bathroom issues. Laundry hampers full of soiled items right at the door coming in does not make for a pleasant visit.
I'm sure I'll be able to write a more informed review at a later date. Issues

They are helpful to my mom. They helped her adjust..

It has been a very good experience so far. They are helpful to my mom. They helped her adjust. They give her plenty of attention. When I visit her, people seem to interact with her and me. She had a couple of minor incidents. She fell and had a bruise. They let me know right way. They are quick to respond. The Agape Senior Rock Hill is a really nice place. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a friendly community.

This has not been a great experience.

This has not been a great experience. It looks nice, and is pretty when you walk in, but there is so much more. The food is not good, it's awful, I wont eat there, and the people in the cafeteria aren't friendly. There care is just not there. The call buttons get turned off, or don't work. People don't come and check on the residents. They seem to have high resident turnover. They don't have enough staff, and the ones they do have aren't even qualified to clean a wound. When I try to call the office there is nobody at the desk, I can never get through. The extra help we have had coming in can't even get through. They wash all of the laundry in hot water, so everything shrinks. They only wash the linens once a week, and a lot of times the room will smell of urine. The lobby is not really set up for the residents, and they don't really have rooms set aside for activities or gatherings. They always say they play movies, but they don't actually play the movies. It's so expensive, and they keep adding on points, and the care just isn't there. The people that we really liked that kind of convinced us to move here, don't seem to be here anymore. If you are thinking of moving here, talk to the residents first, eat a meal, check thoroughly, it looks nice, but just doesn't hold up.

I would not put anyone in t...

I would not put anyone in that home , it was so bad when I went to visit..The smell was so bad and the place was so depressing !!!!

Expensive, didn't feel home...

Expensive, didn't feel home like or cozy more like we're she is now.

They are very clean, and friendly. They are very responsive to needs

They are very clean, and friendly. They are very responsive to needs, concerns, and requests. He loves the food. They have tons of stuff planned for activities. I wish they had a little more on site to stay active, and fit, something like an exercise room, or pool or something of that nature. The biggest reason we chose them is they have a scholarship opportunity for those that might run out of money, later down the road.

Nice place!

Overall they seem to be doing a good job here! My loved one seems to be enjoying herself. She's meeting new people, enjoying the activities, and just seems happy in general. The only complaint I've heard so far is that she doesn't like the food.

Jody: This facility does n...

Jody: This facility does not offer 2 bedroom accommodations.

Were very happy we chose agape

They've been very, very helpful. I like their memory unit, it's a lot of similar situations in there so it's not like youre the only one in there like that. I like the staff, the care is very good, they keep us informed of everything thats going on when were not there. My sister has told me that they take em out to walmart every now and then and keep them moving all the time. I'm very happy, even the help the staff gave us in getting her in there in an expedient manner because we got to the point where we couldnt wait any longer

My husband went to see it. He said it was okay but he just didn't care too much for it.

senoir alzheimers rooms were extremel...

senoir alzheimers rooms were extremely small and large room for gathering, but not very warm feeling.

very nice place, smells wonderful, no...

very nice place, smells wonderful, not like a typical "old folks home"

Great place