The Commons at Woodland Hills - Woodland Hills, CA

I get a good vibe from this community

The staff take good care of mom. They are encouraging, attentive and they are open to making changes to keep her happy. They offer a lot of activities including a spelling bee. There are people from a church that come in on Wednesday and Sunday. The food is really good. The community is clean and they have a patio with a fountain. She has a nice room that feels like a small apartment with a full bath and a refrigerator. This community is a good value and I would recommend it.

Mom's Good Care

I am happy to know that my mom is in a good community with great staff members who are attentive to her needs. The community is clean and maintained. The menu is very good and she is pleased with the variety. We like knowing that they have activities for her to participate. We would recommend this community for good care and good value.

Decent Tour

I toured this community for my mother. It was a decent tour. The community looked pretty well maintained. The staff was kind and friendly. It just wasn't the place for my mother, but this is a nice community with kind people.

Great Things From This Place

I have my mom living at this community. She enjoys her meals given, although she has a small appetite and don't have half-potions available. The staff are great and car for my mom very well. The staff also do a good job keep the facility clean. My mom likes to play bingo and go to social hour. I would recommend this community for the good benefits.

Lovely Tour

My tour was very nice, this is a lovely facility. It looks fabulous, they keep everything very nice and well maintained. The staff was nice and informative. It is a very big facility. It is an expensive, but you do get what you pay for. Everybody was very welcoming and kind.

Shame on management

During a visit with my father I struck up conversation with some of the care takers and waitresses. I was appalled when hearing waitresses only got the minimum wage. With no tips. And the care takers only got 10 cents more? My son gets 10.65 an hour. He works at a clothing store. This issue concerns me because these people have one of the hardest jobs. Tending to people who hardly remember their own name, let alone food order. Or having to bathe an elderly person. That cannot be fun at all!. Must be such a hard job. While my son gets paid more for folding clothes. Clearly the management does not appreciate their workers and that is why this place is grossly understaffed. Never mind the only employees they're capable of racking in at that pay have quite an attitude or are covered in tattoos, and can hard let speak English. Always classy. My father, along with the other residents, and the workers, deserve better. You treat your employees bad and it effects the residents.

jbowyer

We value our employees and the care they provide residents and believe we offer a competitive salary for our industry. We strive for employees to provide excellent service and interact with our families in a positive way. If you feel this is not occurring please stop by my office, call or email me so I may address the matter.

Thank you for providing your feedback. We will review your concerns and determine what adjustments may be needed to improve service.

Are promises of being kept?

I have spoken to my mother and sister about whether they have been introduced into the community and made to feel welcome. I was told that a lot of time would be spent doing that. It did not happen. As a result, I am inclined not to give this please a favorable report at this time.

jbowyer

I am truly sorry if we have fallen short in helping your mom and sister to feel anything but welcome here at The Commons. This is certainly not how we want anyone to experience moving in. We strive to spend time with each new resident so they feel welcome in their new home. I will personally spend time with your mother and sister to ensure they are welcomed and secure. Please call me at [removed] to further discuss any suggestions you have and thank you for your input.

Overall things are going well. The facility is very nice and always kept clean. The staff is always willing to help with a warm smile. The food service could use some help.

Very Nice

From the very get-go they were just very nice. When we did the tour they were very helpful and also during the move-in. I know that my loved one is very pleased with the food service they have, she loves it.

Great place for your mom

My mother moved in there a month ago from another assisted living. The staff is very friendly, the interiors are beautiful with granite counter tops and everything is updated. It has much more of a hotel feel than a nursing home. The only complaint I hear from my mom is that the food service is terribly slow, but she is happy with her room, her activities and everything else. Also, the location is great. So close to the freeway and plenty of shopping.

good choice

At The Commons at Woodland Hills there was one incident with one person. Otherwise they are extremely friendly. I think this facility was a good choice. It has worked out really well and been a very positive experience.

jbowyer

Thank you for taking the time to send your review. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us with staff development and to ensure each resident feels comfortable in their home. Please don't hesitate to call me at [removed] to discuss the incident you mentioned.

Bad waitress

I visited my mother during her dinner time. The waitresses seemed over worked and stressed . (Can't blame them) but they maintained a smile. However one waitress ( her name is Jessica) had a very foul mouth. I over heard her making rude comments about some of the residents. She has a very "hood rat " look to her. Head half shaven and not dressed like the other waitresses. She gives the place a very in professional look. She was rude and I even saw her flip off the Waitress named margarita everytime she walked past her.

jbowyer

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am so sorry you witnessed this behavior in your mother's home and do not condone this type of behavior or dis-respectfulness towards our residents or employees. I take this very seriously and will address the incident with the staff member involved. Adjustments will be made to ensure we offer a hospitable and professional environment for our residents, their guests and staff.

Again, thank you for providing your feedback. Please don't hesitate to contact me either in person or by phone at [removed] if you have any other concerns.

Dawn Smith
Executive Director

Daughter

The staff are all very helpful, caring, and understanding. The facility and activities are clean and interesting.

jbowyer

Thank you for your complimentary review. We pride ourselves on creating a caring and interesting environment for our residents and families.

They have been really supportive, and helpful.

They are doing a pretty good job so far. It was a little rough at first. We ended up needing the focus area, instead of the other side. The eating area is the game playing area, and they don't get out much. He loved the eating area on the other side. They have accommodated us to make things more comfortable for him, and to help with the transition. They have been very attentive, and the staff there are awesome. They have been really supportive, and helpful.

I am truly disappointed with the Commons. it went from a family oriented home to a cold place to institutionalize your loved one. The staff and occupants have a large turnover rate. The only time you'll see the management is when they hike up their rates of their long term tenants. Like so many other families, I now have to find new housing for my parent after 5 years.

jbowyer

We take great pride in providing our residents a warm and caring family environment and have received many compliments from residents, families and visitors regarding our services. We are sorry your experience was not as positive as we'd like it to be for all residents. Since taking over management of The Commons in 2012 we have remodeled the common areas and many apartments. In 2014 the West Valley-Warner Center Chamber of Commerce gave The Commons a Community Choice Award which recognized properties that have aesthetically, sustainably, or technologically been improved. Over the past 4 years the apartment rates have increased an average of 2.5%. It is typical for residents of senior living communities to need more care and assistance as time goes by and this increased care and assistance can result in higher care fees which reflect a resident’s need for more care. Higher care fees can result in a higher total monthly bill but are not an increase in the apartment rate. We thank you for your feedback and will continue efforts to evaluate and improve services.

The Commons

My Dad loves The Commons so that makes me very Happy. I live in WA. And the place is very great place. It takes some of , some of the worry off my shoulders .

jbowyer

Shirley, thank you for your kind review. We are happy your Dad loves our community and that we can provide you with increased peace of mind knowing your Dad is being cared for. Your father is a joy to have at The Commons.

It's an okay place.

It's an okay place. Initially it was good, but I have heard that the quality of the dining room, both the food and the service, have declined in the past few weeks. To the point that it is unacceptable. The staff has been rude, and quality of the food has also declined. I believe there was a change in the head chef recently, but that doesn't justify the waitstaff. The cleanliness is okay, and the rest of the staff is okay as well. I don't think he has participated in any activities. The dining room isn't big enough for everyone to eat at once, so they have assigned meal times. They have assigned seating at the tables as well, so you have the same meal partners all the time, which was a surprise to me, and can be difficult if you don't get along with your assigned table mates. This was the nicest of the ones he saw for comparable price range, and he chose it himself. It's okay, and well maintained.

jbowyer

Thank you for your comments; we welcome them as an opportunity to help improve services. As you noted, we have recently hired a new chef and have also hired a dining room manager who has been working with the wait staff to provide warm, courteous service to our residents. If your family member would like to be seated at a different table please contact myself or Joanna, the Dining Room Supervisor. Our Activities Director can also work on encouraging your family member to participate in activities he may enjoy - please call us at [removed] to help make arrangements for a seating change and to promote his participation in several activities.

~Dawn Smith

best place of it's kind!

We looked at about ten places, and this is both the least expensive and the best of all the places we have checked out. Their willingness to accommodate a new resident is way above and beyond average. We had to change our move-in date several times, and they kept the room for her and worked with us along the way. The fact that they held the room for us even though they were full really spoke volumes to how willing they are to help, treating us like family as opposed to a business transaction.

I can't get over just how fantastic they have been. I cannot recommend The Commons at Woodland Hills highly enough.

Sharon was wonderful-- I went there first then brought mom for dinner and a tour. Residents were very nice and reached out to my mom. Food was fair. Waitress was sweet and attentive. Nice activities including movies. Location is perfect-- near shopping center mom frequents.

Great community for your loved one!

The Commons at Woodland Hills is a great community overall and I highly recommend it for seniors who need some or a lot of assistance.
The only issue we had was regarding medication administration. In the Common's contract there is one page regarding this stating that seniors who administer their own medications cannot use weekly planners (i.e. Sun-Sat pill boxes) but must dole out their medications each day. This is false and misleading. A senior has every right to use a weekly planner for their medication if that is what they are used to.

Review of The Commons at Woodland Hills Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Woodland Hills, CA

Similar to my feelings about Courtyard Plaza, I did not like how this facility was for both assisted living and memory care. I prefer the facilities that are just for memory care so that the residents are able to move about more freely. The facility was beautiful and very clean, but the outside area was just a patio and there were no trees/plans

I'm very happy!

My Mom needs memory care and had to be placed with the secure group as she just wants to go home and she can't.
The only negative I have is that because we rushed getting Mom moved in, there were details that got ignored and I am still trying to get all the "Ts" crossed! This is as much my fault as theirs.
Otherwise, this place is wonderful! The employees are kind and helpful and the residents are happy! The building is clean, smells great and is cheerful!
After touring several, there was no question which residence was best!

The Uncommon Commons

The staff at the Commons is very friendly and helpful. The food is generally pretty good and varied and the facilities are well maintained. A criticism my mother has is that the evening activities are not well attended. Sometimes she is sitting alone in the activities room watching a movie (or as was the case- the Academy Awards). Movies seem to be the only after dinner activity.
The location is great - there are restaurants, a drug store, a bank, markets, etc. in easy walking (or wheelchair pushing) distance.
I think this has great value for the cost and I particularly like that aid costs can be re-evaluated as needed, both up and down.

Good, but a bit of a drive.

Good, but a bit of a drive.

the place might be nice aft...

the place might be nice after the construction, but couldn't really get a feel for the staff and the community.