Canyon Trails Senior Living - Canoga Park, CA

Canyon Trails Assisted Living and Memory Care community just underwent a $3.9 million renovation; we provide our residents with upscale amenities, hotel-style service and outstanding care.

I Think They Are Great

It has been weeks and my father-in-law is doing okay and has not asked to leave. He is in a good environment. I love his apartment it has a single room. He likes the food and It is much better for him living here. It doesn't feel like an assisted living place, it is nice. I picked them because they gave me the option of assisted living. They felt he did not need to be in a memory care. He has been fine in the assisted living and that gives me a lot of hope.

A great tour!!

I had a wonderful tour of Canyon Trails. The place was very clean and well maintained. The tour guide was friendly and helpful, it was a good experience to tour.

The place I want!

I loved Canyon Trails when I toured. It is the place that I would like to put my father once I find out if he will have extra income. The place is beautiful and the people were nice, it was a good experience.

Found what we were looking for at Canyon trails

Things seem to be going well at Canyon Place and mom is happy.She's getting involved in activities and from what I've seen the staff encourages her to do so.We chose Canyon Trails because we liked the staff, the location and they worked with us on the price.

Touring the Options

They were excellent and really great. On the tour I saw that it didn't fit our needs and didn't feel like home. The community itself was comfortable and the staff were wonderful too.

A mid-range property; not luxury but adequate.

Nice paint job, poor care

If you're looking for an old building with a mediocre paint job, this is the place for you. If you're looking for a home with good care for your parent, go elsewhere. I've been here from old owners to new. They used to have an old building, but the best elderly care in town with managers that went the extra mile for every patient, stayed late or got extra care when needed. The new owners [Removed] are investors with no experience in health care. They've increased rents and reduced care, staff, activities, medical supplies, and service intentionally to increase the bottom line - their top priority. The new manager [Removed] seems to have no concern for patients, is deft at avoiding direct answers, and lies if necessary to families and state officials. There is no family liason and the few good staff left from the old ownership are ineffective with poor, negligent management. Our parent has become more isolated and withdrawn with the reduced care in just 6 months even though physical condition is the same or better. Strokes go unnoticed, patients are seen with bruises from falling due to wandering without supervision, wheel chair patients left alone in elevators, They make a good show with new paint & nice monthly schedules of activities and meals, but it's lipstick on a pig to cover up the limited care and reduced services. Let your nose guide you - they say. What used to be an old but clean building now smells of bodily fluids in most hallways due to neglect of patient care and accidents in hallway carpets, elevators, and dining room. There are good facilities out there with experience and good loving care, but not here...keep looking!

Heidi Gonzales

Thank you for your comments. We have just undergone a new ownership and management change and have completely remodeled our community! We continue to strive for the best resident care and are continuously making new improvements every day.

Some Of The Best Care I've Ever Seen

I'am very impressed with this community. They provide some of the best care I've ever seen. It is a wonderful community, they do a very good job with keeping the community and her room nice and clean. The staff is amazing, they are doing a very good job caring for my mother. There are great activities offered. The only problem is the food, the food needs to be better. They are working to improve the food. Overall everyone is kind and compassionate. I would highly recommend this community.

Topanga Park gets my recommendation!!

The community is clean inside and they are renovating outside. The staff are super friendly and the main reason we like this community. They offer a fair amount of activities for the residents to enjoy. My uncle seems to enjoy the food. The only small issue I have is that they could not guarantee what sort of window the price increases would be in.

Going through improvements for the better!!

Dad is slowly making the adjustment to living at Topanga Park. The care is good and they keep me apprised of his care. It is an older community but they are currently going through a major upgrade. The food is good and they do also offer some activities. There was no pressure to move him in once we spoke to them originally.

Fabulous

She was there for three weeks Respite, but it was the most wonderful place! The caregivers were gentle, sweet and kind. They knew who I was when they called and where able to give me updates about my Grandmother when I asked. The dinning area is looks like a restaurant, my Grandmother still goes on about how wonderful the food was there. The executive director and the marketing director, both named Sherri, were beyond helpful and were always there when I needed them. The rooms where kept clean and each resident has their own room with their own key, they can even have their pet move in with them. The grounds are safe and beautiful with plenty of places to enjoy the sun or shade. Everyone smiles there and to me that says a lot.

Very satisfied

I am very satisfied that my mother is being taken care of. The facilities are clean and the people are very attentive. The staff is very responsive to our needs. I would highly recommend this facility.

attentive to the clients needs

They give an awful lot of attention to each one of their clients. They are very attentive to the clients needs.

They could offer more activities, as the few they have do get kind of repetitious.

Other than that it has been a great experience and I would recommend Topanga Park Assisted Living.

Could Use More Supervision

Maybe a little more supervision due to lack of staff. I think the food is good quality and variety, Seems like they are on top of the grooming and hygiene.

Comfort and Caring at Topanga Park

Our family member has been living at Topanga Park for several years. The staff has made her transition from living at home to complete care a seamless experience. She is happy, healthy, always well groomed and much more pleasant than when she was at home with a caregiver. The lovely back yard, patio, and pool area give the residents the sense of being in a park. And, just as important, we have really no stress worrying about her well being. The staff is like an extended family making our worries so much less consuming. For this we are very grateful to Charlie for running such a warm and friendly facility.

Grateful

My father Frank [Removed], has been residing at Topanga Park Retirement for 5 1/2 years with Alzheimer's. After looking at about 35 places I chose Topanga Park for many reasons and I am so happy that I made the right decision. Charlie and the staff are like family members to my father and I. The way in which Charlie and the staff interact with the residents in such a friendly and dignified manner is a huge relief to me, I can sleep at night knowing that my father is safe, well fed, entertained and physically and emotionally cared for. The grounds are so lovely in the back patio, the food is great and I feel so grateful to the staff. I could not have chosen a better place, thank you so much for all your help over the years and continued help.I have never regretted choosing Topanga Park Retirement to my father's home

Thank you for the 12 years of care you gave my mother

A token of my family's deep appreciation for the excellent attention my mother received while under your care. We couldn't have asked for a better facility for her. I was constantly impressed by the loving and thoughtful treatment she was given during her 12 year stay, as well as the consideration given to myself and my family.

Outstanding

This is my experience with Topanga Park. They have new owners which I haven’t had much experience with yet. Parking is very tough – It’s street parking. They have a beautiful patio and court yard, with a swimming pool for therapy. They have rose gardens. It is pet friendly. They are outstanding from top to bottom. With all the difficulty we had with making this transition – they were outstanding, flexible, and family owned. I’d feel a 100% confident in having a parent live in this community.

Hugs and Thank You

Cathy, when you tell me my dad is having fun it makes me want to cry. I can't even imagine the life he has been living for the past 7 years and to now know he is free to find some enjoyment in life. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Hugs

What a wonderful place

My husband Dr. H. Levin has resided at Topanga Park for about 2 1/2yrs. After looking at other options, Topanga Park was a perfect home for him. He is an Alzheimer's patient. The professionals and caregivers and all others on staff are always there to help. They are dedicated, compassionate and caring people.

Residents can walk around inside and outside to the patio - no lock-down areas (as in other places). My husband is kept clean and showered and looked after always.

The owner is there to make sure everything and everyone is doing well.

I complement the cook, the food is good and there is homemade soup everyday. Food was always important to Herb - He may not talk, but he does still love to eat and enjoys the meals.

I am pleased with Topanga Park and appreciate everything they do.

Topanga Park - A Great Assisted Living Facility!

We transferred our Mother from another facility in the Southern California area and have found the care and surroundings to be far superior to those from her former facility. Topanga Park spends far more time with their residents and treat them well as family, not just patients.

Charlie runs the facility with personal care and attention to detail, and creates a staff and environment which reflects his caring and superior knowledge.

The surroundings are pleasant and homey, always clean and well maintained. Never have I walked in to Topanga Park to visit my mother and felt it was sterile and cold, yet I have also never smelled any malodors which can commonly be reflected with a care facility. The food is superior in quality, taste and nutritional value.

My mother suffers from advanced dementia and we have noticed an improvement in her condition since she has been a resident at Topanga Park.

Wonderful service

Dearest Charlie and all Topanga Park Staff,
Thank you for the years of care, understanding, service and devotion to our beautiful Mama – Marilynn M. This was her home & her sacred spot on the planet for the past four years. We will miss her sweetness and her feistyness as well, but we know she is soaring now.

To the Wonderful Staff at Topanga Park,
Thank you for the fabulous 101st birthday party you gave Peggy. Every day you show care and love for all the residents at Topanga Park, but you out did yourselves last Friday in the planning and work you did for Peggy's party. It was a wonderful celebration for her and her family. Thanks to everyone who was involved in it.

Keep it up!

Dear Everyone,
Thank you for taking such good care of Clara S. & for giving me updates daily. “Mom” is happy with you and I can see why! Keep up the good work!

Charlie,
Thank you so much for all you have done for mom, Betty, while she was in the rehab and your work to get her back to her home. It means a great deal to me, especially being so far away. Just to hear the relief in my sister's report is a great comfort. You have truly acted above and beyond. It was a wonderful feeling to know that we made the right decision to move Mom to Topanga Park.

Awesome Staff!

Dear Monica, Ruffi, Dulce, Maria, Jessica, Erasmo & all the staff,
We appreciate so much the excellent care you gave our mother Beatrice S., she loved you all. Thank you.

Great care

To Charlie and Staff,
Thank you especially for the good care my dad received in the last year of his life. As you continue to care for Mom, know how much for all are appreciate.

To the Nursing Staff of TP,
Thank you for the care that you give to Mimi. It has been a rough few months an we truly appreciate knowing that she is in good & loving hands.

Positive place!

Dear Topanga Park Staff,
Thank you so much for all the care and kindness you gave to my dad. Thank you for making a difficult decision and situation easier on us all. Your positive attitude, hand work and kindness will never be forgotten.
Thank you.

Topanga Park

Dear Charlie,
I want to thank you and everyone at Topanga Park for the care and affection shown to Zeke. It was always a great comfort to know that he was in your good hands and well taken care of. I hope all is well and to see you soon.
Best to all

The best!

Dear Charlie and Staff,
Thank you for all the good care you have been providing my mother, BeBe. She has been doing so much better since she has been a part of your community. Keep up the good work. Many thanks, again!

"Man plans and God laughs"

"Man plans and God laughs," so said my mother and so it came to pass with me, when my husband of over 60 years was diagnosed with Frontotemporal Degeneration (FTD), a horrible form of Dementia, and I knew I could not keep him at home.

I looked into a few facilities when, by accident, I drove by Topanga Park Assisted Living, and just walked in. Charlie, the Executive Director, gave me my first tour. I returned a few times before placing my husband.

Topanga park is a small facility with lovely grounds and nice rooms. I have found the following:

My husband is safe, very important;
He has warm, kind-hearted caregivers who keep him clean and properly groomed;
The medical staff is observant and quick to respond to small and larger problems;
The meals are very good; the servers are friendly and helpful; all staff seems to pitch in and help out at mealtime;
The front desk knows where to direct your inquiries and diligently observes the front entrance;
Transportation to doctor appointments and outings are readily available;
A variety of activities includes religious services, entertainment, happy hours, movies, games etc.;
Maintenance and Housekeeping are always on the job.

Now nothing is perfect! However, the needs of my husband have been met. His Dementia has robbed him of much, but Topanga Park and its staff have permitted him to retain some dignity.

Come visit!

My name is Rita B., R.N., a visiting nurse for Topanga Park Facility. This facility provides the best care available in the assisted living community. As a nurse, I visit a lot of different facilities, but I have come to believe that caring for people in need and treating them with respect is very important. Topanga Park provides the most appropriate and comprehensive level of services of anyone in the field of healthcare. I recommend this facility to my close friends and family and to everyone that cares about their loved ones.

I am so grateful to have found Topanga Park and I really appreciate the loving care you showed my mom. Especially your hugs Charlie – they mean a lot to mom, I am sure.

Wonderful Place to Volunteer

My experience at Topanga Park has been extraordinary. As a volunteer, being able to interact with the seniors and getting to know them, along with hearing their stories has been a real treasure. Not being familiar with working with the senior population, Topanga Park’s staff and residents gave me a new appreciation and understanding of the senior lifestyle.

The staff is eccentric, knowledgeable, professional, and most of all personable. Charles Rosenson, Executive Director goes above and beyond for his residents, making sure they are taken care of with the upmost respect. I would recommend this facility to anyone looking into an assisted living facility with memory care and anyone who wants to start volunteering within the senior community. Keep on doing what you do Topanga Park! BINGO!

Thank you!

To everyone at Topanga,

Thank you for your love, kindness, and patience. You are the greatest!!

Mr. Charlie Rosenson is a hands on owner who ensures that all aspects of his facility to meet everyone's needs. The staff members are especially friendly, efficient, and treat the residents with dignity and respect. This facility is assisted living at it's best. I would highly recommend Topanga Park to anyone looking for a diligent, comfortable, and “homey” facility who can assist in all areas of personal care. With occasional outings and a weekly music program. Yet the feel of independence in their own room.

Topanga Park

Nice place, nice people. A different approach to memory care, integrating them with assisted living residents. Nice rooms.

Really Good Care

They do everything that they're able to do very well. They have a bulletin board of activities and people can do lots of things. They have movies and bingo and all kinds of things. I'm satisfied with it. He's been there about a month and we haven't encountered any problems. He's had a stroke and he has Alzheimer's so he needs to be fed and diapered and lifted in and out of bed and he get all that there. They take really good care of him.

All patients are together, ...

All patients are together, which was somewhat depressing. Nice pool area and outdoor garden. Dining area reminded me of being in a diner.

Visited & met with Director. Very sta...

Visited & met with Director. Very stable staff & some younger residents.

Nice but had a urine odor throughout ...

Nice but had a urine odor throughout the hallways. Shared rm $2600 mth with 1x deposit fee $2500. Extra $300 if she became incontinent.

Very convenient! Nice facilities. Go...

Very convenient! Nice facilities. Good selection of activities for both. Pets okay with deposit, must be able to care for the pet yourself. Cable/dish & phone hook-up available for add'l fee. Daily housekeeping, weekly deep cleaning. Linens & towels provided. They would 'live' together. divided room can be 2 'bedrooms' or bedroom & livingroom. All inclusive incl. 3 meals, incontinence, med dispense, activities.

took a tour,rooms were o.k., great po...

took a tour,rooms were o.k., great pool area ate lunch,food was vey good....yummy matzo ball soup.