The Californian - Woodland, CA

The Californian is located in the beautiful community of Woodland, California, with its rich heritage of community spirit and neighborly charm. Our residents enjoy being minutes from the Woodland Opera House which serves as a center for visual and performing arts with activities and performances year round. With plentiful shopping, dining, cultural, recreational and leisure opportunities and a beautiful new Senior Center, all within 10 minutes of the facility, residents are able to take pleasure in being an active part of the community.

The Californian offers Assisted Living, Alzheimer's care, and first-rate services right in the heart of Woodland's medical community. Connected by private pathway to the new Woodland Healthcare Medical Offices and directly across the street from Woodland Memorial Hospital, The Californian is known for quality care and deep community roots. It's no surprise that The Californian has consistently earned the Yolo County "Best Assisted Living" award.

The Californian prides itself on unsurpassed quality care with dignity. Our residents enjoy the finer side of living: from delectable meals to an array of daily activities to enhance physical, social and emotional well being. Our attentive carestaff are available 24 hours a day to assist with residents' every need. Isn't it time for your loved one to experience the Best in Retirement, Assisted Living and Alzheimer's care? Come experience all The Californian has to offer, your loved one deserves it!!

Poor Office Management

While the staff and facilities in the Alzheimer's section were awesome, the office staff is not helpful. My dad has private long-term care insurance which requires a confirmation of his residency on a monthly basis. A short form that is faxed to the insurance company monthly before they will issue a reimbursement check. So my dad pays on the first of the month almost twice as much as his insurance covers, and then we wait for reimbursement for a portion. The Californian charges $30 a month to "process the form". EVERY MONTH I have had to call the office manager and ask her to please, please, please send the form so we get reimbursed. And the insurance company employees have NEVER HEARD OF A FEE BEING CHARGED! Very disappointing. I have also had to monitor the monthly billing to make sure they are not billing for what Hospice is providing.

Wonderful Place!!

My mother was only at this community for a short period of time and I was pleased with how things had went. The food was exceptional and It I thought that they did a great job with the dinning room experience. The staff where always so kind and I was comfortable with the care she was provided. The most important thing is that she loved it very much and was happy too be there. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested.

Poor Care at the Californian

My mother had panic attacks for three days before they alerted me that they did not receive my mother's medication from the hospital when she arrived. They had the list from the dr. and did not bother to check it for three days! I had to run down to the pharmacy myself to get them. On friday I told the head medical person I thought my mother had a UTI and she said they would fax the dr. and get approval for a urine sample to be sent out. On sunday I called to check the status and the medical dept. had no idea what I was talking about and could not find a fax anywhere or any notes in her record. Poor communication between shifts and not equipped to handle medical issues. When my mother needed adjusting in her bed I watched two girls starting to pull on my mother's arms and I asked if that was standard procedure and that my mother was on blood thinners and that might not be a good idea. They told me usually they use a mat under the patient and I asked that they go and get one. The girl that left huffed and sighed as she left the room. Not a place I want caring for my mother.

very well run facility

All the staff know about all the patients and are very friendly and well engaged and informed. It has been a very positive experience.

It is a very well run facility. It is very clean and well kept and everyone there does an excellent job.

Not a good fit for us.

We toured here, and I don't know if it was just the day that we went, but the smell when you walked in was bad. It was very expensive, and you couldn't cook your own food there. The rooms were also pretty small. The people were very nice, it might be a good fit for someone else.

CALIFORNIAN REVIEW

I AM VERY HAPPY I CHOSE THIS FACILITY WITH A FEW CAVEATS: I THINK IT WOULD BE A MORE APPEALING FACILITY IF THERE WERE AT LEAST ONE MEDICAL CARE PERSON ON STAFF. THERE ARE NONE.

MY MOTHER IS IN THE SPECIAL CARE UNIT (MEMORY) AND THEY DO HAVE ACTIVITIES EACH DAY, BUT I FEEL THEY COULD BE A BIT MORE VARIED.

ONE ISSUE I HAVE HAD WITH THE FACILITY IS AFTER REQUESTING THAT THE HOUSEKEEPING STAFF DO NOT PUT BLUING IN THE TOILET, IT HAS CONTINUED. DUE TO THE NATURE OF MY MOTHER'S ILLNESS, I FEEL THAT MONITORING THE COLOR OF HER URINE IS VERY IMPORTANT SINCE UTIs ARE PREVELENT IN ELDERLY WOMEN.

I VISIT EVERY DAY AND MY FATHER IS THERE EVERY DAY, SO I DO BELIEVE WE HAVE A GOOD GRASP OF WHAT'S GOING ON THERE.

Review of The California In Woodland, CA

My Mother is unhappy there. The Californian bills themselves as a Senior Community. They are really an Assisted Living Home. For my Mother, it's depressing because during the day, as well as in the dining room, most people are in wheelchairs and sitting around being uncommunicative. My Mother at 81 is more active than that. She has other complaints which may be legitimate about the food and the staff's response time but as I am not there to experience them, I really cannot comment. I will say that the administrative staff lacks the kind of skill I believe is important they possess when working with Seniors. She is so unhappy, we are now fighting over her desire to move back into her home.

Good Community

The charges depend on what level of service you need. Their basic price is what they advertise, however, I am paying an extra $30 a month for cable TV from them and another $30 for someone to do my dad's personal laundry once a month. They do his sheets and towels once a week but I'm paying for his clothing to be done too. It's not that much. The meals seem to be fine but as he puts it, he'll eat anything. It just seems to be a good community. There are activities available. He likes the gatherings that they do. It's a good facility. They do a good job. I think the only downside is that it doesn't go into skilled nursing so if your loved one needs skilled nursing you need to place them somewhere else. The Californian, I think, is a good value. My mother had been there for a short period of time so my dad knew the staff and a lot of their old friends were there so it's just kind of made sense plus the cost was better.

Not A Good Value

There's no abuse or anything but my mom would ring the cowbell and no one would come to help her. I would have to call them and ask them to go help her. It was less expensive than some other places but for me, to have them not help when they're needed, that's not a good value no matter what you're paying.

If your parent doesn't need much care or someone to be attentive then it's probably a good value becuase you're paying less.

I feel like the people that work there go to work for a paycheck. They just kind of show up and do the minimum.

Just Perfect

It is a very clean and friendly community. The Californian is just perfect. They gave us a great first impression. We got to meet with the chef and the food is very good. There is nothing negative we could say about them. We would recommend them to anyone.

Next to a hospital, coordinate meds w...

Next to a hospital, coordinate meds with doctor at hospital. Nice staff. Rural.

I liked this place a lot. I wish the...

I liked this place a lot. I wish they had a nicer outside area though.