Sycamore Village - Swansea, IL

Not too happy

First day here and not too impressed. One aid for 15-16 people is not right. They have to serve the food, clean it up, get them all to bed. Been here 5 1/2 hours and no ones checked my mom for a change and we were told it's every 2 hours. I could go on in my short experience here.

I like the care from this nice community. I like the staff who have been very helpful. the community is clean and the menu has a nice variety. They have a lot of actives that he is participating in. We would recommend this clean community for the care to other families.

So far, so good...

Everything has been going well since I moved in, The community is clean and maintained well. The food is fine, but I don't eat there much.

Wonderful community!

Things are going great, it's unbelievable! The staff treats my parents as if they were their own parents. The price is very affordable and I could not find a better place for them! We are very pleased.

Care for a friend

I like the care at this community. The staff were very nice and caring. The menu was very good . They did offer good activiites. I would recommend this clean and caring community to other families for great care and a good value

Care and comfort

This is a nice community. The staff are very nice and caring. the community is clean, but they need to keep up on things. The variety health meals are appealing. they offer alot of great activiies that she enjoys. I am happy to recommend this community to other families.

Be a part of their life, no matter where they go

I appreciate all that they did. I would remind myself that my Mom was not the only one there, and unless I could afford a private nurse, it was unreasonable to expect them to drop everything and go to her. I was in a position that I could go everyday and I did. My Mom having a safe place to be helped me get to be more of a daughter rather than a caregiver.
Not so much for my Mom, but the other ladies were very bored. They wanted something to do, besides hearing about the bad news in the newspaper and the obituaries. I thought this was a little odd, I felt something more uplifting/positive would be better. I kept my Mom from any bad news. I only wanted happy thoughts for her. She had enough bad thoughts without any help. Then there was a time one of the ladies was scolded for not remembering something she was told the day before (this was in memory care).

Friendly Staff!

The meals that Sycamore Village offers are tasty. Staff were attentive with my loved ones care needs. They communicated very well with me but not with each other. Sometimes there was a shortage of staff. I did like the cleanliness of the place they did a good job maintaining it up-kept. Activities are offered but, my loved one didn't like to engage in them.

Care for Dad

A very nice community for my father. The staff is outstanding and caring. He is getting therapy to assist him. The community is taken care of and very clean. I would recommend this for families wanting good care for a loved one.

Recommended for great care.

My husband is being taken care of very well in this community. The staff is very friendly and helpful with him. The room and grounds are clean and well kept. They are doing all that they can to help him keep active. I know when I am not there with him that he is in good hands. I would recommend to others who are needing good care.

A Community I Would Recommend

I haven't had any problems with this community. I'am very pleased with everything they have done for us. The staff is great, they have been very helpful and responsive. They do a good job with keeping the community and her room well maintained. She is getting involved in the community, they offer many activities for her to choose from. She is pleased with meals, the food is good. I know she is safe and being cared for well. This is a community I would recommend , it is a lovely place.

Mixed experience

Our experience with Sycamore Village has been somewhat mixed. I think it's a nice place overall, and the care they provide is good, but there is some definite room for improvement. The staff here is absolutely wonderful, they're friendly and it seems like every single one of them knows how to work with memory care patients. That being said, I'd like to see a higher staff to resident ratio in their highest care wing.
The care wings themselves could be a bit better organized. The general idea is that there are 4 wings ranging from the lowest to highest level of care, but one of my loved ones shares a suite bathroom with a gentleman who obviously should be in a much higher level of care.

First Impressions

With my wife with only one month of residence at Sycamore she seems to be pleased and I believe we made a good choice.

Great staff personal

The staff here at Sycamore Village has been nothing but helpful and kind to us through this whole transition. I really feel like we can count on them for anything.

Needs More Workers and Better Food

My loved one was only there for about a week, so there isn't much to review it on. They probably needed more workers and if I could compare it to other places, I would say they came up a little short on the food.

Sycamore Village has delivered everything they promised for us!

We researched and decided on Sycamore Village to care for my sister. She checked in just over two weeks ago. In my search I was more concerned with the care and the people who would care for my sister than the building and looks of the place. In Sycamore Village we found both. I have been so pleased with the way the employees treat her and our family. We are there a lot in the evenings and they welcome us with open arms. They are genuine and they do a great job of hiring the right people. I cannot say enough about the care she is receiving. I do have to agree that they have a hard time getting the laundry straight as far as what goes back to who but that is so unimportant to me compared to the way they treat the residents! I love Sycamore Village and would recommend it to anyone!

I just don't think they had enough staff.

I'm not too impressed with them. It looked good, it's clean, and nice. My loved one fell more than once, though. I don't think they watch the residents closely enough. I chose them because another place closer to home didn't have a place available when I was looking, and I had looked here before. I just don't think they had enough staff. The staff was hard to find when you needed them and no staff was keeping an eye out for the residents and their safety. When a place is short staffed accidents happen and the residents are not being cared for properly. I would not recommend this place for any one's loved one. Also, some of the medication provided was not used.

Sycamore Village Experience

The facility director came in the house and on Evaluation Visit and my wife was hysterical and had been for 20-30 minutes. She (Gina) took control and calmed my wife down in a few minutes. At the facility, the nurses and aides took excellent care of my wife. When the Dr. couldn't come to the facility, the director accompanied me to the doctors office, answered pertinent questions and aided in the next step of treatment. Couldn't ask for more.

Staff Did A Great Job With Admissions

We had an emergency placement for my dad, upon admission staff was supportive did a great job helping step dad adjust. Room is cleaned daily and resident is bathed and groomed daily. Plays bingo and had dances as part of activities. Step dad says meals are good and they do offer choices.

Didn't take care of my father and lost his glucose meter

They were very friendly, but they didn't provide good care. I took my dad there for four days. I gave him five days' clothing. When I came back he was still in the same clothes, everything was still in the drawers, they lost his glucose meter. They had discussed showering, so they had to take him down the hallway and make sure he remembered, and he hadn't had a shower.

We have peace of mind, we know she is being taken care of.

The laundry is our biggest complaint, they don't have a good handle on doing the laundry and getting back to the right people. She's getting good care and they are very nice, but they need to get a better handle on things missing from peoples rooms. I felt like they really knew what Alzheimers and dementia, was. You could tell immediately that they had experience with it, just watching them deal with the other residents. We have peace of mind, we know she is being taken care of.

Start here for caring for Alzheimer's

I really don't know where to begin when people ask me about Sycamore Village. All I can say is if you have come to this website and are in need of being convinced that you are making the correct decision, go and visit the facility. My aunt was a victim of the system and thanks to them, I was able to rescue her and give her happiness for the rest of her life. For me that says it all. I urge you to investigate and find out as I have that someone with Alzheimer's is a a special person in need of specialized care. This facility has proved time and time again their dedication to the Alzheimer's patient. Go and see for yourself.

Personalized Assisted Living and Memory Enrichment Community