Sunrise of Westtown - West Chester, PA

Mediocre and completely overpriced

This facility resembles a Disney resort. That is where the positive side ends. Your loved ones' care require constant micromanagement from you. Staff is forgetful or not well trained. Hurtful, disrespectful communication from staff occurs frequently. Residents are often ignored and have to request assistance repeatedly. The food is mediocre. Portions can be very small and residents have to repeatedly request more if they are still hungry.
The rent and care fees are exorbitant and not justified given the poo level of service. Often the minimally required service does not occur and you have to complain in order to ensure it does happen. Staff do not display common sense and you have to be very specific with them hence micromanage them.

Sunrise Senior Living

I went on a tour here and it went very well. The staff was nice and helpful and answered all of my questions. We ate lunch here and the food was very good. The rooms were on the smaller side. And the hallways were really long and far from the dining room. I would recommend families tour communities before making a decision

Communication Issues

My parents were in this community for about a week. We had some issues during their time in this community. There are some improvements this community need to make. One of the issues we had was communication issues. We had some issues with my fathers medication, and also understanding the routine around the community. I feel they need to be more organized.

Sunrise Senior Living

I was very pleased with my visit to this sunrise community. I was pleased with the facility.

The Care Has Been Going Good

My cousin is doing great being apart of the community in the Memory Care. Based on my timing I went with this community for the care and being close to me. The staff are providing the care she needs and calling me with any updates. It has worked out for us.

Understaffed, but very friendly hardworking people

Overall I think they do a good job at Sunrise Senior Living, but there is definitely room for improvement. The care and service staff really give it their all, they are friendly, caring, hardworking people. Unfortunately there just aren't enough of them, the management staff really needs to hire a few more people. The biggest impact this has is in the dining room, where the service can be very very slow at times.

Beautiful community!!

I really enjoyed my tour of this community, it was actually one of my top choices of different assisted livings I had visited. They had a beautiful setup and I really liked the layout of the entire complex. I was very impressed with the staff and my overall experience I had. Unfortunately they did not offer a rehab service at this facility that I would have needed for my mother

Great staff at Sunrise

Love the staff .. they are most kind and compassionate. I am so glad my dad is a resident there

Nice place, friendly welcoming staff

Our experience with Sunrise Senior Living has been a very positive one, so far! The staff is extremely friendly and welcoming, and I really appreciate all the effort they've put into helping my loved one get settled in. When he was having a little trouble getting integrated socially they called me to get ideas on what sorts of things he likes and activities he might be comfortable doing, which I thought was a nice bit of effort on their part!

Overall good - but you need to stay on top of things.

We have had a few issues with Sunrise, however, the management has been very willing to correct them quickly.
I must say, however, that unless you speak with upper management (i.e.: executive director or care director), you are wasting your time.
Overall the staff has been kind, and supportive. There are issues with training, and informing new shifts of procedures. Even with our frustration, we are more positive than negative.
Food is good, rooms are kept clean.
Billing is another issue - daily rates can increase without any notification which can cause an increase of thousands - we are very unhappy about this.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your review. We take all concerns seriously and are sorry to hear you have not been pleased with your experience at Sunrise. We'd like to learn more, please email us at Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com so we may follow up. Thank you, Sunrise Team.

[removed]

My mom almost died. She got so sick while in their care. Mom had a fever ever night. Also, my mom's bill was suppose to be $1700 but, when I got the bill it was $3,000. I have asked them for documentation on billing, they still haven't given it to me.

Nice place, overall

I think overall things are going very well at Sunrise of Westtown. The place is nice and clean, and the staff are very attentive to the care needs of the residents. My loved one is having a little trouble adjusting to the new setting, but I think it is a good place.

very warm homey place

Sunrise Senior Living of Westtown is one of the most warm and home like places I have visited. They are very accommodating to the residents, tending to their individual needs.

The only thing where they might could improve would be with their communication during the initial move-in period to help the residents and their families get acclimated and know exactly what to expect. It seemed a little disjointed and took quite a while after we were there for someone to come up and start working with us.

Other than that it has been very good and she is doing very well there. I toured a bunch of places, and this place really stood out. My aunt is doing great, is very happy, and making good friends. If I had to do it again, I would certainly make the same decision and go with them.

So Far Things or Just Okay

Overall we have been mostly satisfied with Sunrise during our first 2 weeks. The biggest issue is that there does not seem to be great communication both among the staff as well as with us. My mother needs assistance going to meals, and will often say she does not want to go. Instead of encouraging her to attend meals and activities the care givers seem content with her answer and just leave her in her room. One of the main reasons we chose Sunrise was that we thought she was going to get a lot of interaction with other members of the community as well as the staff. So far that has been a bit disappointing. They are also not communicating between each other This first 2 weeks is a tough time for everyone and there seems be a lot of confusion about my mother's needs both as far as assistance and medically. We feel like we need to have someone from our family or a friend on site everyday to make sure she is getting the proper care. My mother will not complain so that puts her in a spot where despite the fact that she needs assistance, she does not get it. She thinks if she asks for help she is being difficutl. My expectation was that the Sunrise staff was going to be much more involved with her especially during this initial phase. I will say that overall the staff is very friendly when you reach out to them, but many of them seemed to be overworked, especially the LPN's which I think causes some of the lack of attention. I am hopefully as she gets more settled in that things will get into a routine and she will get all the assistance and encouragement she needs.

They are very good

I think they are watching my mother more closely and we are happier here than with the last place. We visit all the time and she seems fine and happy there. My sister and I love A Place For Mom! The one that helped me was Molly and she was fantastic. How she helped us out while we were going through the struggle on what to do. Molly set up appointments and emails, she was fantastic! So we can give high marks for Molly. I don't know what I would have done without her, she is a godsend. Westtown even moved my mothers room closer to the nurses station to keep a good eye on my mother.

A Nice Place for my Wife

These are initial impressions as my wife, Joan has only been at Sunrise for a few weeks. She had been at another home only for Dementia guest for eight months, which I was disappointed by the attitude of some of the management staff. I decided to explore other homes.
After contacting "A Place for Mom", I was given some leads, and i visited two homes, Chosing Sunrise.
My first impression of Sunrise was it appeared cozy and more like entering a home. I was greeted in the lobby, first by the director, Leslie Tull and then by Sara Croes, of sales, whom I had a scheduled meeting with. Both were profesional with sincere attitude. The cost were presented, reflecting the degree of assistance available. I was shown the secure area for Dementia guest including a private room and a shared room and the rest of the Dementia area. I was also shown the main area, where we may visit when visiting with Joan. The layout of the Dementia area is well thought out and reflects a warm feeling. The rooms are in one wing with a fully carpeted hallway with numous "rememberance" stations. The general area is an open wing comprising the kitchen area, dining area, TV lounge and craft area in defind areas that flow from one to the other. There is a private room for visiting. There is an glassed-in porch and an outside porch and a large, secured yard with seating and a walkway with trees and bushes and flowers. The person in charge of the area, Ann Marie's office is within the secured area, with windows allowing her to veiw both wings. She also makes contact with each guest. The cheerful staff appears to be dedicated and attentive to the guest needs.
Compared to Joan's previous home, Sunrise is far superior and I wish I had found it initially. Sunrise is a good value for the cost.

Moving my mother to Sunrise

My experience in moving my mother (who is 95 years young) to this community three weeks ago has been a positive one. The facility is very nice and clean. The staff are all very friendly to everyone. Whenever I call to ask about my mother, they are always receptive and answer any questions or address any concerns that I have regarding her care.

Super Satisfied

We are super satisfied with Sunrise. They did a good job, and we are happy with them.

Sunrise was conveniently located for ...

Sunrise was conveniently located for our family which made a big difference when choosing a community. The other reason we chose this community is the affordability of Sunrise. Our loved does say she is bored and they do not have enough to do. It seems like more activities need to be conducted and try to engage the residents a little more.

Convenient Location

This community is located in a very convenient location for my family. There are plenty of park around the area and we are only a couple of miles away from my mother. The building is very nice and very nicely decorated. It is a smaller community so it’s very personal and really gives a home like feeling. The price of this community is really good and economically is a good deal. My mother has the option to share a room so the price is lower.

This was our first visit to an Assist...

This was our first visit to an Assisted Living Facility and it was very nice however it did not offer the church services mom wanted.

First choice if we have to get Dad in...

First choice if we have to get Dad into a facility in the West Chester area.

Very nice, beautiful facility, great ...

Very nice, beautiful facility, great house pets.

In elegant, residential environments, we deliver the finest in senior care, and are recognized internationally for both quality and innovation. Guided by our Principles of Service, Sunrise affords families peace-of-mind by providing today's seniors with a range of personalized personal care services. From assistance with activities of daily living such as eating, bathing, dressing to medication monitoring, Sunrise provides residents with the help they need. Residents maintain the same privacy in their new home as they enjoyed in their own home. At Sunrise, we encourage residents to challenge themselves while offering the assistance they need. We encourage family and friends to be involved, to visit frequently, and to invite residents on outings to community events. This innovative approach to senior care is designed to maintain independence and dignity, yet is balanced with the comfort and security that comes from knowing experienced help is close at hand.