Sunrise of Sunnyvale - Sunnyvale, CA

The staff takes great care of my wife

This place has a very friendly atmosphere and things have been going well for my wife because they take good care of her. The staff is easy to communicate with and they answer all of my questions. I’ve eaten there quite a few times and the food is really good. It seems well balanced and pretty nutritious. The menu offers a lot of different choices, but if you don’t want something on the main menu then there are different options that you can choose. The cleanliness is good, every time I go to visit my wife her room is very clean. They have plenty of games that require physical and mental dexterity, there are quizzes on what’s going on and they help stimulate the residents’ memories with quizzes about their life or the past. The other residents seem happy to be there and they’re pretty friendly. We’re moving to a different community soon, but it’s only because I want to be able to live with her. The rooms here are too small for us to be together.

I had a tour and a lengthy Q&A with [Removed]from marketing. She was very knowledgeable and answered all of my questions thoroughly. This place stands out from the crowd - there is a feeling of openness. People sit where they want at meal time and have choices of activities. There are several common areas as well as outdoor areas. When I visited there were residents in the dining room, in the library, in the TV room, and some chatting on the front porch. Even in the memory care area most of the residents were in the common room interacting with the carers and not shut away in their rooms.

This facility is confident they could take my dad. It seemed good, but I wonder about their scrutiny. They have no memory care units, but do have an assisted living studio.
Seemed like staff was engaged, involved, and well liked, but less so than Belmont. Dangled the $5000 move in waiver if we do it in August.

Not the right fit

It was a very nice and clean community that we toured. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable and answered all of our questions. We chose another community that was more in line with our needs for memory care.

Enjoyable Environment!!

I have no complaints of how things went during my tour of this community. The staff where on time to my appointment and had nice presentation prepared for my visit. I was offered a meal to try and got to see the entire building from front to back. They had a spacious common areas and the apartments where very clean. It was a great place just not the right fit for me in the end decision.

The Current Resident

For 9 days we had my mom here but it is not the appropriate place for her. It is a nice place but the population was far gone and she is more coherent. She only had one person to talk with. The staff were great and good with the care and the administrator was great. The residents are all high level dementia, Not for one who is still active and understanding what is going on.

Not clean as i liked for my mom. The staff was not friendly. I was not happy that the other patients seemed very down and no one could ever smile. My mom is very out going and up beat. This community was not good for my mom to be in. Other families should consider other options

Sunrise Senior Living

Costs more than I thought!

Sunrise of Sunnyvale is a great place to live. It's been a hard adjustment but the staff and residents have tried t make it easier. The care is good. The food is great. The only thing is that I did not expect it to be so expensive and not sure how long it will last.

Fitting in

If you can adapt your schedule to theirs you will fit in much better than if you hope they can fit to yours. Although my mother was continent and able to go to the bathroom on her own, they keep waking her up early in the morning between 5 & 6 to go to the bathroom, making it hard for her to fall asleep and wakeup at her normal 8-8:30 timeframe. They also come between 7 and 8pm to put the residents to bed but my mother routinely goes to bed between 10 and 11. Perhaps it is because there are more staff available earlier in the evening.

They determined that my mother could not self medicate the day after she moved in when she had no clock in her room yet and based on 1 missed dosage and the fact that she could not stand, take her medicine and hold a glass of water. Now her medication schedule is changed and she is terribly frustrated. Dinner meds are given at 5:30 and bedtime meds are given sometimes at 7 so she has had to refuse them for the meds that are 3x a day as the dosage will be too high for her if taken together. They are getting better at this but we've had to hold our ground. The cost is based on # of medications, not # of passes per day so they bumped the basic cost up.

The care level evaluation was given when she was in the hospital and determined to be at the highest level. Yet she can feed herself and is continent. She is a bit weak and has some difficultly getting in and out of bed or a chair, although slow she can do it herself. Originally she called for help to get out of bed to go to the bathroom but since they rarely come in time, she quickly decided to do that on her own. If her cane or walker is inadvertently not nearby then she crawls to the bathroom to make sure she does not fall.

There are few residents that don't have significant cognitive impairment so if your elder's issues are just physically related, they may have trouble finding an appropriate social network. Without the social network, they may become lonely or depressed there.

Sunrise Senior Living

Please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience at Sunrise. Please email Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com with further details so we may follow up. Thank you, Sunrise Team

Pets are allowed, good for an animal lover.

This is one of the four places that we considered when we were looking at options. This wasn't the best fit for us. They didn't have a courtyard really, or a good outdoor area. It would be nice for an animal lover, because they allow pets there, and there were a lot of animals in the lobby. That wouldn't have worked well for my loved one who is not so much into animals.

Excellent care

We toured quite a few communities during our search for senior care, and Sunrise of Sunnyvale has proven to be an excellent choice. Our loved one had some specific care needs, but Sunrise said they would be able to handle every issue we brought up, and they have made good on their word. There were a few growing pains as our loved one adjusted to the new living situation, but the staff here were very accommodating and really went above and beyond to help in a few cases.
It's a nice looking, clean community, and the staff have been very friendly and very helpful. They respond quickly to questions via phone and email, as well. I also really like that they have an RN on staff during weekdays.
We were a little worried it was just their marketing team telling us what we wanted to hear, because it all sounded too good to be true! But as I said, they really came through and delivered on everything they promised, and I would have no problem recommending them to others!

Not Happy

My loved one stayed here for a short time, and we really didn't like this place at all. The facility itself was not impressive and we were not happy with it.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your feedback. If you'd like to share more details so that we can learn more, please contact us at Information [at] SunriseSeniorLiving [dot] [com]. --The Sunrise Team

Sunrise is a good choice for seniors with multiple levels of retirement living needs

We chose Sunrise because we needed independent living for my Dad and high level assisted living for my Mom. They have been at Sunrise for one week, and so far we are very pleased.
Move-In: Priscila was excellent in helping us and supporting my Mom during a difficult moving process. She was kind and helpful. She was also patient with my 90 year-old father who was a bit stressed out.
Food: Both my parents have raved about the food. There are varied choices and the food is presented as if it were being served in a restaurant.
Apartments: Both my parents' apartments (they each have one) are clean, light-filled, and well -suited to their needs. They have a sitting room, bathroom and small kitchen area.
Staff: Very helpful, usually smiling and cheery. My Mom needs extra care and they visit her often throughout the day to check on her.
Sunrise is a more expensive place, but what you seem to get for that is a high-quality team of caring professionals. The Sunrise staff has lifted a great burden from our family and we are grateful. My Mom is already looking and acting healthier and happier since her arrival. We feel that Sunrise can be a wonderful home for them for the rest of their lives and this is awesome. We enjoy visiting Sunrise; it is welcoming for families too.

Very nice facility. Clean, ...

Very nice facility. Clean, well maintained. The resident rooms were very nice and the living areas were very nice and there were many throughout the facility. Staff was friendly. Dining room was impressive. The location of the facility was very nice. Quiet neighborhood.

Let Mom Lay In Bed All Day

That was awful - that's why we moved my mother. They just did not take care of my mother at all. They were terrible. They let her lay in bed all day long. I'm not happy with Sunrise at all!

Sunrise at Sunnyvale

Overall, I've been happy with Sunrise at Sunnyvale. The facilities themselves are very nice and welcoming. The caregivers are wonderful and truly do care about the residents. My husband needed a higher level of care and he's definitely receiving that at Sunrise.

My one area of concern is that some administrators at Sunrise are not as easy to work with as the rest of their staff. Fortunately, I don't need to interact with them often.

Toured today with Director - Terrific...

Toured today with Director - Terrific first impression and excellent visit. She showed us studio, 1 bedroom, and shared rooms all of which were clean and comfortable.

so professional! very informative, b...

so professional! very informative, beautiful corner apartment.

About Sunrise of Sunnyvale

Community & Location Highlights:

•Convenient location in beautiful Sunnyvale, CA
•Near El Camino Hospital
•Rooftop garden with stunning views of the surrounding region
•Convenient access via Highways 85, 101, 880 and 280
•Minutes from Sunnyvale Town Center, featuring Macy’s and Target

Located in Sunnyvale, California, Sunrise of Sunnyvale is a senior assisted living community unlike any other in the area. With exclusive amenities and superior services, our community offers a convenient and relaxing lifestyle as well as a loving homelike environment. Each resident’s personal needs and preferences are valued and meals, activities and schedules are adjusted accordingly. Our experienced team of designated care managers is focused on personal wellness and independence. We are conveniently located close to major highways, Macy’s, Target, and El Camino Hospital. Visit our community today to see why our residents are proud to call Sunrise of Sunnyvale home.