Sunrise of Lenexa - Lenexa, KS

toured one day and showed up during meal another day. Meal was not tasty.

Sunrise Senior Living

We had a very nice visit at Sunrise. [Removed] was well prepared for our tour. They have a good staff, things were clean and orderly. It had a nice atmosphere. They offer a level of care that we are probably looking for in the future. The rooms were smaller than [Removed], but the level of care was a better match for what we think will be needed.

A different location for care

We toured this community for care. We liked the staff and the director who was helpful. We did not like the location of this community due to being in a busy area of traffic. We did not feel that it would be safe. We would recommend that other families tour this community to see if this location is good for them.

Excellent care

The care at this community is excellent. We like the staff who caring and attentive. We like the excellent menu of the meals that were better then any restaurant. They offer a list of activities for the residents. We like everything that this community offers. Families might want to consider this community for the care of a loved one.

A tour for care for dad

We toured this community and.we did not like the rooms that needed to be updated. The appliances were not updated The staff were very nice and seemed to be willing to answer the questions that we had. We did not like the environment and felt that it needed a lot of changes.

It Would Have Been Suitable

Based on the whole package we liked the community the most. At first my mother had been contacted by them and they made her a lot of promises for my dad's services. When we toured we were not as impressed with the facility and the way our questions were not answered. I felt we could not get a word in as the representative kept over-talking. As a package it was our favorite, the location and staff seemed like what we were looking for.However they backed out when we proceeded to move in.

Sunrise Senior Living

I would not use this community again

While mom was at the community the caregivers seemed to be nice and helpful. They were quick to respond when she fell. The community is clean and they do offer some activities. My complaint is that when mom went into the hospital after her fall the community decided they were not able to have her come back, however they did not notify us of this. I have not been able to have anyone respond to my calls as they have taken money from mom even though she is no longer there. I do not think it is right to treat a person this way.

A good tour!

I toured many communities along with this one and it all really came down to where my aunt could afford to live. This place was beautiful, very clean and well maintained. Everyone was very professional and the staff was interactive well with the residents.

Very Homelike and Welcoming!!

The staff at the Sunrise of Lenexa is amazing. The community is small, so they are able to give more one on one attention. We know all of the staff by their first name. The place is kept very clean and the meals are prepared correctly, the taste is more of a personal preference. My mother is happy and comfortable here, we would recommend them to anyone.

Filled with Light

I looked at several communities, but knew I'd found the right one as soon as I entered her new apartment. We were looking for lots of natural light because of her macular degeneration. Huge windows in both living room and bedroom, with light streaming in. She was thrilled with the layout, and the decision for her was easy.
The Executive Director and Director of Nursing were very accessible. The Team concept reassured me that she would not be left alone unless she chose to be.
She loves the selection and preparation in the dining room, and fresh popcorn in the Bistro.
Wholeheartedly recommend!

Residents Need More Attention!!

My loved one has been in the community for a while now. So far, the services we have been receiving from their part haven't been what we expected. The staff need to be more attentive. The meals could use more taste and have better portions. At the moment i would not recommend this place to friends and family.

Excellent Care

This is a nice community. The staff is very caring. The food is outstanding and a great menu. The activities are excellent for her. I would highly recommend this for other families for great care.

Beautiful Amenities!!

My loved one has absolutely loved participating in the activities and is kept busy throughout the day. The food they offer is tasty and a variety of options are given. The overall staff is great, although the nursing staff could be more prompt on getting information back to families of loved ones.

Still Adjusting To New Environment

My loved ones are okay and still going through the adjustment period. They are able to join in activities and they are making friends too. The meals that are served seem to be suitable. The staff are able to make accommodations to the meals.

We liked Sunrise!!

This was a good place for my dad when he needed the assistance. He did move out into an independent living community. This community was clean and the food was good. He liked it there, however since this is for assisted living it is a little more expensive than the community he is at now.

Beautiful facility. Pricing schedule confusing. They quote things daily and itemize instead of using care levels. Feels like they are nickel and diming you to much.

Great place. Lots of amenities. Felt more like a resort than an assisted living.

Great Tour

My tour of this community was great. The community looked nice and clean. The staff and residents were very friendly and kind. They are currently going to some management changes. This is a big community, with a lot of residents. Overall we found a better fit for my mother, but this is a nice community with kind people.

mom is happy

My mom is a newer resident here so we don't have much experience with the place. However, the grounds are well kept and my mom seems to like the food, I've never tired it but, she doesn't complain. The only complaint I have is the price.

My Loved one lived at his community of years & the care continued to get worse. As with anything there is a 'honeymoon' period & that is so true for sunrise.
The D.O.N [name removed] is pure evil, lazy & has a nasty attitude but to top things off she is a habitual liar. Don't believe anything that she says unless its in writing. I gave her chance after chance to prove me wrong or to at lease properly handle problems & care but she does not. She will give you this fake smile & then take behind your back & not respect your loved one. overall she sucks & Karma will catch up to her.
The direct care staff changes like you would change your bed sheets. The laundry is not done as stated nor do you get all of your clothes back & no one does anything about it. The activities on the memory unit are non-existent but they will tell you different. The cleanliness is ok if you stay on the staff & they put it off on someone else. If you cant make it up there everyday to see your loved one FIND ANOTHER FACILITY because these people are here just to get a pay check from the executive director on down. I have only had one person in nursing that actually cared & one person in billing who was nice. I pray for all those people there because of the lack of attention & care they receive for the money.

Sunrise Senior Living

Please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience at Sunrise. Please email Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com with further details so we may follow up. Thank you, Sunrise Team

So Far So Good

So far so good. My mom has been here for about 3 weeks. We are very pleased. No complaints. My overall rating of this property is 4 stars. I rate the cleanliness 5 stars. I rate the friendliness 5 stars. I rate the value 4 stars. I rate the care services 4 stars. I rate the activities 3 stars. Overall, the Sunrise of Lenexa is a good community. We are satisfied and have no complaints. I would recommend this facility.

very good

The staff at Sunrise of Lenexa is very good. It is a good friendly environment.

There are a couple of things that might could be improved. For one, the trash gets picked up at 3am in the morning and wakes everyone up. I have spoken to management and the waste company directly about this and it does not seem that anything can be done.

The food could be a little better a served faster.

Other than those couple of items, it has been a good experience.

We are pretty happy with it so far.

We are pretty happy with it so far. It's clean and the staff is friendly. The food is pretty good generally, and they have choices. There are a lot of activities and entertainment going on, and they have a nice patio area where they can sit outside when the weather is nicer.

Great place

The best greeter in the business. Everyone is working as a team to help my mother. She is treated well, not like too much trouble to handle like she was at another local place.

Amazing atmosphere, top notch staff!

Very nice place!

Our loved one has only been here a brief time, but so far we are very pleased with how things have gone at Sunrise of Lenexa! She is in the memory section, and the workers have been so patient and so kind, they're very professional! It isn't kept quite as clean and spotless as some of the other facilities we have seen, but they more than make up for it with the friendly staff.

sympathetic to me and responsive

The staff has been really sympathetic to me and responsive to me.

I did, however, not feel that things were very well organized. There were things that I thought I would get the first day or two (schedules, introduction to who people are and how things work, etc.) that I still have not received.

Wonderful place

It’s just a wonderful place. I think they just have a broad range of care for a lot of different conditions. The food is great. There could be concerns about the parking – it’s limited. It’s just a comfortable environment.

Sunrise is the place!

My family and i really liked the Sunrise of Lenexa community. We like the fact it was a family owned (husband/wife) feel, the layout. We really like how there were individual kitchens where it felt like it was their own. The whole enviornment had a homey feel to it. I would suggest this community to anyone who is considering.

Sunrise is a great facility...

Sunrise is a great facility offering an opportunity to move in and stay until your final departure. Memory care center was set up very well. 3 floors in the facility. Indoor and outdoor patio areas. Will address special dietary needs. Walking path around facility. Right on the corner of 87th and Lackman. Not sure I care for the location however it is closest to Dad's current dialysis center. Transportation to Walmart/Target, casino, etc. No medical transportation provided.

Doing a great job

We really like this place. The staff seem particularly well trained when it comes to dealing with Alzheimer's patients. It's clean and bright on the inside, lots of natural sunlight, and it generally has a nice homey feel.

Great Decision and Easy Move

Her room is smaller, but she is happier there, and that is my biggest thing. She is not so much about going home, and she smiles a lot. She will tell me what they do that is good, most of the time it is all good. She is usually out with the group and participating, and she likes the treats. I am much happier because the rate has stayed the same. I have never seen the help be disrespectful or treat the residents like they are idiots. She goes to church and she has access to Catholic stuff, which she likes. They feed her differently than she is used to, but she likes it. She is enjoying fish and soup for the first time in her life, when before she never liked those things. I had almost written Sunrise off because the building was not very fancy, but I am so glad that we went here. When I first walked in, there were people in all of the rooms, more interaction was going on. More I looked and saw the people, I realized that this was a really great place. The first thing my cousin said when she saw that place was that everyone in here is old! She is very happy now, though.

Great place

Sunrise of Lenexa is simply perfect for my father. He has been in a few other senior places that just didn't work out. His room is just wonderful. He has a panoramic view out the windows. Finally my father is happy where he is at and not talking anymore about going home. Thanks so much for Sunrise. deb

Excellent

It's very nice. There are plenty of activites for them to choose from. They play bingo, card games, word games, they do painting and have guest musicians come in and play the piano. I know I'm leaving some out. They have morning exercise for everybody - wheelchair bound and everybody. We just had an excellent experience with them. Unfortunately mom passed away so she didn't get to stay there very long but we couldn't have hoped for better. It's bright and cheery and much more pleasing to the eye than others we looked at. We were so thoroughly impressed with Sunrise.

Met w/ The Director. Lovely home, wel...

Met w/ The Director. Lovely home, well cared for gardens, many porches, sunrooms w/bird sounds, walk around lake next door. 1st fl room near cozy nooks dining, w/nice view grass trees & occasional duck from park, sm studio. room for bed dresser/tv on top?, easy chair, small desk, sm frige, private bath. Will work w/me to keep costs down as care increases. Help us start applying for Aid & Assist so it would be in place. Black lab dog lives 1st floor. People friendly, maint man would love for Dad to help out. They escourt to activities, outings, men's group. 40% men. 69 yr old similar stage on 1st fl too, new resident. Could be buddies. Lunch for family w/ The Director. one time entrance fee. Looks really, really good at our price range. THANKS!! AL has coded doors, Dementia unit upstairs secured. Assigned caregivers stay same. Doctor spoke highly of them. be sure to tour.

Very clean, bright, cheerful atmosphe...

Very clean, bright, cheerful atmosphere. Staff appeared friendly and caring. Apartments shown were very clean and nice. Dining area was outstanding as well as the outdoor space. Very positive feelings.

I liked this one a lot. Lots of cozy ...

I liked this one a lot. Lots of cozy spots near people. Hard to tell how much it would cost, point system....Pet friendly.

Step into a Sunrise Assisted Living community and you can’t help but feel at home. We stop at nothing to make your experience warm and inviting, from our homelike exterior architecture, to our comfortable community areas and choice of suites to our exceptional outdoor gardens and landscaping. Look around and you’ll notice fresh flowers throughout the residence, and you may even spot our dog or our cat. And of course, there are always the friendly smiling faces of our staff to insure that each day spent here is a welcome one

Lenexa is a suburb of Kansas City, KS. It is located in Johnson County. Seniors enjoy living in a place with many big city conveniences that has a small-town atmosphere. In fact, many men and women choose to retire and move to Lenexa.

City Info

Lenexa residents are seldom able to walk to their destination because the city is very car-dependent based on its Walkability Score.

- Walkability Score: 47 Car-Dependent. Most errands require the use of a vehicle or other form of transportation.

- Population: At the time of the 2010 U.S. Census, the city had a population of 48,190 people.

- Average age of residents: The average age of residents is 37 years old.

- The number of senior housing facilities in the area: There are 105 senior housing facilities including those who provide independent living, assisted living, continuing care, and adult day care.

- Average weather conditions: The highest monthly average temperature in Lenexa is in July. It is 78 degrees Fahrenheit. The lowest monthly average temperature is 32 degrees Fahrenheit in January.

Transportation

Getting around Lenexa without a vehicle is easy with RideKC, rideshare options, and taxis.

- Buses: RideKC provides bus transportation to and around Lenexa. Reduced fare is available for seniors 65 years and older as well as Medicare recipients. There are also special mobility options for wheelchair-bound seniors. Greyhound has stations in Kansas City.

- Trains: There is no train service in Lenexa. Amtrak does offer service in Kansas City, however. Senior discounts are available for distance travel.

- Taxis: Several cab companies exist in the city. They are Empire Taxi, Roundabout Transportation, Preferred Ride Services, VIP Transportation KC, and Laskey's Transportation. Seniors can set up rides with the cabs by calling the company number and providing a destination to the dispatcher.

- Rideshare: Two of the most popular ridesharing services, Uber and Lyft, are available in the Kansas City Metro Area. Lenexa seniors will need to download the app of their choice of the company onto their smartphone and set up an account to be able to request rides using these services. RideShareKC also offers carpooling options for seniors wanting to save money.

- Airports: There are numerous airports in the Kansas City Metropolitan Area. They are Kansas City International Airport, Johnson County Executive Airport, Cedar Air Park, and Roosterville Airport.

Health and Safety

There is an abundance of hospitals in the area for senior residents to visit, have labs and x-rays taken, and to go when accidents and illnesses occur.

- Hospitals in the area: It's a good thing for seniors to know which hospitals are in the area. That way, if they have an accident or illness, they'll be able to choose which one they want to go to. Seniors have MISH Hospitals and Clinics, Shawnee Mission Health Prairie Star, Kansas Institute of Medicine, The Women's Health Care Group, and many more to choose from.

- Crime rate in Lenexa: The city is very safe when compared to other cities in Kansas. It has a crime rate of 40% lower than other cities throughout the state. Its crime rate is 35% lower than the national average.

Sports and Leisure

There are three golf courses in Lenexa and many more in the KC Metro Area.

- Golf courses nearby: There is Canyon Farms Golf Club, Falcon Ridge Golf Club, and Falcon Valley Golf Course as options for seniors who want to play golf during their free time. There is also Lenexa Disc Golf and Smiley's Golf Complex for lovers of miniature golf.

- Tennis courts/clubs nearby: Men and women can play tennis at one of many locations throughout the city and neighboring area. Some options for them to choose from include Flat Rock Creek Park Tennis Courts, Overland Park Racquet Club, Elite Squad Tennis Club, and Nicklaus Golf Club at Lion's Gate.

- Gyms nearby: Lenexa is very gym-friendly. Seniors can get memberships at Life Time Fitness, Workout Anytime Lenexa, Element Fitness, and Lenexa Jazzercise Center. There is also a recreation center in Lenexa that offers programs specifically for senior members.

Shopping and Entertainment

Lenexa is easy to shop when transportation is available as seniors have their choice of big-name supermarkets, delicious restaurants, movie theaters, and entertainment.

- Grocery stores: Seniors can shop for groceries and other household necessities at Sprouts Farmers Market, Hy-Vee, Aldi, Hen House Market or Price Chopper. They can find Oriental and Halal marketplaces outside of Lenexa if they're looking for specialty foods and items.

- Other restaurants: Local restaurants and chain restaurants make up the dining options in Lenexa. Seniors will find familiar names such as Applebee's alongside local favorites such as Holy Land Café and Fortune Place. There is a cuisine to tickle every type of taste bud, too.

- Movie theaters: There are no movie theaters located directly in Lenexa. Surrounding areas offer AMC Theater and B&B Theatre.

- Libraries: Seniors can check out books and other resources at the Johnson County Library branch in Lenexa. There are other branches located in Overland Park and Kansas City as well if men and women are interested in traveling to nearby libraries, too.

- Senior-friendly salons: Salons provide a variety of services for seniors to indulge in. Lenexa keeps its residents looking their best year-round. Platinum Salon & Spa Lenexa, Salon Ji, Salon Burget, Salon of R&R's, and Great Clips are among the many locations seniors can go to get haircuts, trims, their beards shaped, a shave, facials, manicures, pedicures, and more.

- Entertainment: Lenexa Senior Center offers weekly activities that are fun for men and women to do. For example, there are card games, video games, and even Bingo to play. The city of Lenexa hosts many festivals, and there are swimming pools, parks, and museums for seniors to visit. Lenexa Community Center offers basketball, ping pong, and pickleball.

Religious Facilities

There aren't many religious facilities located in Lenexa, but there are many to choose from in Kansas City.

- Religious facilities nearby: Seniors can attend services at Westside Family Church, Knox Presbyterian Church, Lenexa United Methodist Church, and Holy Trinity Catholic Church.