Sunrise of Decatur - Decatur, GA

Kind, attentive staff. Clean, well-kept facility. Not as fancy as some newer facilities, but homey and comfortable.

My visit to the community

This community looks like a gorgeous old victorian home. The person that took us on tour was nice. This community was quiet when we visited. My loved one was looking for a more active community.

A tour

The people I met at this community were nice and the community looked clean. They seem to offer some nice amenities. This is a larger community and I did not like that it was close to a busy road.

What I heard

My loved one liked this community when they visited. The people were nice and the community looked clean. This community offers transportation and they allow pets.

Care for family

We toured this community for the care for my mom . The staff were nice and friendly. We were happy with the community being very clean. They do have a variety of good activities that would of been offered. We wold recommend this community but families might want to tour the community due to the cost of the care

Not a good fit!

This community is very nice and I like the people. The staff was very helpful and they were very friendly. The residents were very happy it looked like. This community was just to far and they did not offer the amount of services that mom needed.

My Visit

They staff was ready and on time for our scheduled tour. I was get useful information that I needed. When I saw the apartment available we thought it was not a good size and needed something larger. This was the reason for not choosing.

No better place to be!

I could not ask for a better group of people to be caring for my mom. This place is superb with everything that they do. Mom is still adjusting to the community, but everyone is helping her do so. The community and mom's room is always clean.

Very Lovely Tour

My tour of this community went well. My tour guide was very kind and informative. All my questions were answered. The community looked nice, everything was very well-kept. The staff was very nice and courteous. It was a lovely tour.

Great place for your loved one

Staff is very friendly and helpful. Food is excellent. The building is very nice, nicely decorated, and welcoming. The grounds are beautiful. There has been so much positive support by all of the staff. Activities are varied and interesting. All in all, it is an excellent place.

The sales lady was wonderful!!

We liked what we saw at this community. The tour person was very knowledgable and the people we meet were nice. We unfortunately were not able to try the food or witness any activities. I would recommend taking a tour and talking to people before you make a decision on a community.

Nice Community

My response to this community tour was mixed. I was disappointed in the memory care unit of the facility. The residents were wandering around with no supervision. The area felt very crowded with a lot of people. The apparent staff-to-resident ratio was not satisfying to me. It is a nice looking community. The staff was nice and friendly. It just wasn't a community I would had felt comfortable placing my mother in.

Very nice place

Our experience with Sunrise of Decatur has been a very positive one! It's an extremely pleasant community, and the staff is professional and caring. They're very friendly, courteous, and do a great job engaging with the residents. They also do a great job with the food! It's just been a very good experience overall.

Too expensive! However I'm not giving up yet. If we can get the VA monthly benefit, weight be able to afford it. Besides affordability , it is fabulous! Beautiful- has everything we want and laid out well. Rocking chairs on sun porch; bistro for snacks and coffee, nurse and CNAs nearby and very pleasant. Great vibe, congenial and friendly atmosphere.

HORRIBLE, UNCARING, MONEY-HUNGRY

HORRIBLE!! [remove] ED, ALC, HCC management need replacing. Revenue focused. Uncaring. Care staff discouraged from performing requests if ED and ALC cannot charge you. Maintenance is subpar. [removed] No feedback on any thing. Marketing makes sure you see the few positives, but they do not tell you about [removed] care services.[removed] You have to visit daily to make sure your loved one is surviving with minimal care. Have not had many good things happen with my loved one. Do not spend your money with SunDecatur. Corporate is revenue focused. HORRIBLE!!

I was impressed with this facility. Shannon did a good presentation. I really like the facility and the activities that are held to keep residents (esp dementia) engaged and interactive. Visited on 8/22 and it's at capacity. It is certainly on my list of possibilities.

it was clean and nice the food could be better but the staff members and the facility was nice said staff was friendly and helpful said she would recommend for others and their families to go gave the facility an over all 4 star rating said it was clean inside and outside said the care was a over all 4 star rating said they was very open minded people down to earth staff gave the value a 4 star rating as well client said that the cleanliness was very good and that it smelled clean and looked clean in and out...

I felt like it was a great tour and a fine facility.

This is one of the places we were toured when looking for options. I felt like it was a great tour and a fine facility.

Royal welcome, lots of activity, friendly residents, great rooms (all different), enthusiastic dining manager, carpet a bit worn in places, minor painting and repairs would spruce up the place but neat and clean

Nice but we were really looking for independent living.

very accomidating

They were very accommodating, but unfortunately I moved my parents at a bad time (just before thanksgiving when they were low staffed). Due to that, we had to wait a long time just for someone to come and take our order for dinner, for example.

Friendly, caring staff

We're very happy with how things have gone at Sunrise of Decatur! I really appreciate that they really seem to genuinely care about each resident as an individual. They don't have a "formula" for care that they just apply to everyone, they really try to find what works best for each resident. The facility itself is very nice looking, and always well kept, and the staff are all very friendly!

Review of Sunrise of Decatur Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Decatur, GA

I loved the facility -- especially the public areas and the services offered. The 1 BR den was a bit small as an alternative for two people. The people who helped us there, Garnet and Shannon, were wonderful.

Very nice facility but out ...

Very nice facility but out of my price range

All meals, transportation f...

All meals, transportation for Thursdays. transportation other days. Housekeeping thorough once a week and daily housekeeping. Studio, 1BR, and companion. 1 special until end of June. #308 Studio - $102/day - $3,060. Base, Base+, Base++. +Medication charge. For companion $83/day - $2500. 85 residents. 1:5 staff members. Shannon, Christine, or Rhett

I liked this place and would have loved to move my loved one here. It's very nice, but they just don't much for funding options. They are all private pay. I liked the environment of sunrise, it's active there is more to do than at a personal care home.

My parents like this place ...

My parents like this place however the cost was beyond their budget.

I was pleased with them, but not with the home health service they had in house. I didn't have a choice of which service to use, we had to go with theirs. The nurse could not care for his wound, and he was no longer able to stay there. The people were very nice, very considerate. We were very impressed with it. The food was very good, they have programs for the residents.

Very pleased

We have been very pleased with Sunrise of Decatur so far. The staff has been very friendly and seem to care about the residents. The facility is lovely and well maintained. We've never noticed any oders and all the residents in the Reminiscence unit look properly cared for. The executive director, Rhett is always happy to answer any questions and his newest assistant, Zack, is s the sweetest thing on four legs.

it was nice but did not fee...

it was nice but did not feel like a fit for us and then when I got the pricing it was a confirmation of what i was feeling..

great choice

We picked Sunrise of Decatur because dad had been in a sunrise independent living community in Boca Raton. They made the move easy and we have all felt welcomed by the community
It was the right choice for dad who is doing better here than he had been in Stratford Court

talked with activities dire...

talked with activities director, saw several rooms , 2 bdrm seemed good, spacious rooms for residents upstairs for activities outside of their room. Not sure of pricing will have to follow up with costs etc...

Very nice staff. Gave me alot of info...

Very nice staff. Gave me alot of information and answered my questions. The facility is large & clean

We liked Sunrise and it is fairly clo...

We liked Sunrise and it is fairly close to our home.

Okay - within price range.

Okay - within price range.

Beautiful building, common areas very...

Beautiful building, common areas very nice. Rooms seem a little smaller than Brighton Gardens, and it's a little more expensive. Felt like a sales pitch from everyone, but they were nice. About equally far from me, further from my brothers than BG. Plenty of choices for food. Toasters not allowed.

As part of metropolitan Atlanta, the 21,957 residents of Decatur, Georgia have earned a national reputation for being progressive while maintaining a small town ambiance. With a median income of $77,202, this Dekalb County haven boasts a 56 percent population having earned at least a bachelor's degree. This makes the city one of the highest educated in the metro Atlanta area.

The city is named for naval hero Stephen Decatur, who commanded several ships during the US tensions with Great Britain that led to the War of 1812. In the early 20th century, Decatur sprouted many garden suburbs, named so because the houses were on very large lots that sat back from the street.

The New York Times has called Decatur ""Atlanta's gastronomic equivalent of Berkeley or Brooklyn."" The city's arts and eclectic shops build on that reputation. With easy access to Atlanta's public transportation system and many annual festivals, colleges, and public art, Decatur is rewarding for seniors.

City Info

- Walkability: 56 walk score, meaning many errands can be done on foot, especially downtown, along Sycamore, and in Adair Park.
- Average Age in Decatur: 35.5
- # of Senior Housing Facilities in the 30030 Zip Code : 4
- Average Weather: Decatur can get as cold as 10 degrees Fahrenheit in winter and as hot as 102 degrees in summer months.
- Veteran's Facilities: Atlanta VA Medical Center, Atlanta VA Clinic, VA Atlanta Regional Benefit Office

Transportation

About 6.1 percent of Decatur residents take public transportation to work, compared to 6.3 percent who carpool and 4.2 percent who walk. An impressive 10 percent work from home.

- Buses and Public Transit Rail: Seniors can qualify for a reduced fare BREEZE card on the MARTA public transit system by visiting the 5 Points Rail Station or MARTA headquarters building at 2424 Piedmont Rd, NE. There are three Decatur stops on the MARTA rail: Decatur, Avondale, and East Lake. Here are the Decatur bus routes:

- 2 Ponce de Leon Ave/Decatur
- 15 Candler Rd/South DeKalb
- 19 Clairmont Road
- 123 N. DeKalb Mall/Belvedere

- Commercial Trains : Amtrak
- Taxis: Decatur Taxi Service, Atlanta Taxi Link, Decatur & Tucker's Taxi Cab Service
- Ride Shares: Georgia Ride Share, vride.com, RideGuru

Health and Safety

Decatur is safer than 48 percent of other US cities. Your chances of becoming a victim of a violent crime is 1 in 813 for this city, compared with 1 in 264 for the state of Georgia. Property crime likelihood is much greater in Decatur with a 1 in 30 chance for each person.

- Hospitals in the Area: Emory University Hospital, Dekalb Medical Long Term Acute Care
- Crime Rate: 15, which is 11 percent lower than the national average.

Sports and Leisure

Decatur's Active Living Division gives residents full access to recreational programming, aquatics, and themed walking tours. Professional sports enthusiasts may never run out of activities, since Atlanta is home to five franchises: Atlanta Falcons, Braves, Hawks, Dream, and newcomers United FC (soccer). There are more low-key activities in Decatur.

- Golf Courses: Northwood Country Club, East Lake Golf Club, Charlie Yates Golf Course, Druid Hills Golf Club
- Tennis Courts/Clubs: Glenlake Tennis Center, Dekalb Tennis Center, Sharon Lester Tennis Center
- Gyms: Snap Fitness, Pinnacle Fitness, LA Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Planet Fitness

Shopping and Entertainment

Decatur's proximity to Atlanta makes its entertainment options almost endless. However, staying local has a lot of pleasant surprises, too. A robust downtown and a vast array of eclectic shops make it easy to do something close to home. The restaurants and festivals here helped the town earn its reputation as one of the South's ""tastiest towns.""

- Clothes Shopping Nearby: Tres Jolie, Boutique Karma, Squash Blossom Boutique, Rainbow, Boogaloos Boutique, Wild Seed, Ariel la Boutique, D&K Suit City, Infashion Menswear Outlet, Value Village

- Grocery Stores: Decatur Station Food Market, Dekalb Farmers Market, Kroger, Shield's Produce and Grocery, Oakhurst Market, Cherians International Grocery, Patel Brothers, First Oriental Market

- Number of Luby's Nearby: There are three Luby's Cafeterias to the northwest of Atlanta in Marietta, Alpharetta and Kennesaw. Getting to any of these locations will require about a 27- to 38-mile drive.

- Other Restaurants: Leon's Full Service, The Pinewood, Cakes & Ale, Cooking Up a Storm, Taqueria del Sol, Sweet Melissa's, Kale Me Crazy, Thumbs Up Diner, Wahoo! Grill, Victory Sandwich Bar, Souper Jenny, Revival, Java Monkey

- Movie Theaters: AMC Classic North Dekalb Mall, South Dekalb Stadium 12, Starlight Drive-in Theatre and Flea Market (about 8 miles southwest, in Atlanta)

- Libraries: Three branches of the Dekalb County Public Library, Decatur, Scott Chandler, and Wesley Chapel - William C. Brown

- Senior-friendly Salons: Salon Lotus, Steve Hightower Hair Salon & Day Spa (features oncology massages as part of its cancer care offering), A Natural Buzz, Maxim Barbers, Emory Haircutters Barber Shop, Chuck Simon's Barber Shop

- Attractions: Fernbank Museum of Natural History, Michael C. Carlos Museum (at Emory University), Olmstead Linear Park, Callenwolde Fine Arts Center, Elwyn John Wildlife Sanctuary, Dekalb History Center Museum, Waffle House Museum (Avondale Estates), Kudzu Antiques, Decatur Arts Festival, Homegrown Decatur, Eddie's Attic

Religious Facilities

About 48.44 percent of the people in the Atlanta metro area consider themselves religious. Christianity is the predominant practice at 11.59 percent, with 9.82 percent being professing Catholic. Practicing Muslims make up the next closest number at 1.88 percent. The Jewish population in the Atlanta area is at 1 percent, Eastern faiths at 1.01 percent and Latter Day Saints at .4 percent.

- Faith and Worship Centers near Decatur: Decatur First United Methodist Church, First Baptist Church, Decatur Presbyterian Church, Oakhurst Baptist Church, Resonate Church, Wesley Chapel, St. Thomas More Catholic Church, Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church, Congregation Bet Haverim, Congregation Shearith Israel, and the Atlanta Masjid of Al-Islam.