Sunridge at Desert Springs - El Paso, TX

No accountability, Poor and Inconsistent Care

We removed mom from the care at Desert Springs just at 7 months. This was largely due to very poor management and supervision. Most of the staff were very caring and attentive, however too often my mothers apartment condition was in terrible shape, she was too often left in the same clothes. They didn’t bathe mom regularly, I would shower her. The staff was not trained to handle the varying behaviors of dementia / Alzheimer’s. Too often people who were more capable were left wandering with no supervision. Too many people were bruised from falls. After repeated attempts to work with BAKA management regarding communication, care taking issues, issues with cleanliness we didn’t see improvement. My moms items were continually missing (when we took her out she had no shoes left) only a pair of slippers. Often times the staff would congregate in the dining hall in aware of residents wheareabouts. My moms toilet was overflowed for two days and they turned the water off but didn’t clean up the mess and kept the water off for the weekend. We discovered this on a Sunday and one Tuesday the water was still not on. The current manager [Name removed] was very ineffective at managing staff, executing on changes and follow up. The staff needed better supervision but often times she was gone by 4 pm it was difficult to reach her in premises. The staff took advantage of this because no one was around. There was only one RN, [Name removed] for 6 facilitaties and his idea of solutions was to remove people to send to GBU. He was in over his head.

I see a night and day difference with the care my mom is now receiving vs what the experience was at Desert Springs.

There simply was no one holding the management and staff accountable for the consistent required care for the residents. They didn’t follow through with recommendations such as sign in sheets when rooms were checked and cleaned, medicine dosing/application etc. accountability was the biggest gap to making improvements.

Terrible management and supervision

After much research and deliberation, we chose Desert Springs as a safe, living place for mom to continue living with dementia outside her own home. The biggest issue we faced was too much staff turn over, not enough supervision and continuity of care during nights and weekends, absolutely terrible management and leadership from [Name Removed], the Director. Mom was left in same clothes many times through the week, room not cleaned regularly w/ feces and soiled paper left around, toilet left overflowed for two days. People who were not incapacitated (I.e wheelchair, walker) were left wandering too much. Many items were missing such as shoes, stuffed animals toiletries, snacks. They have one RN for 6 centers and he isn’t available to the other staff train and supervise in dealing with multiple phases of dementia behavior. The people who are supposed to be leading and managing are not available and the remaining staff is left without supervision or accountability too much of the time. We worked with corporate BAKA Enterprise but things didn’t improve because there wasn’t follow through with what they said they would do. We had to move mom at just 7 months of staying there. They did not treat mom or others with dignity in a consistent way.

Pleased with This Community

From what I hear from my friends love ones, they are pleased with his move to this community. In whole everything is working out well. They do feel he is intact, and in good hands. They are satisfied with this community overall.

My Mother In Law is Doing Great Here

Everything is working well for my mother in law here at his community. She is doing great here. We are pleased with all they have done for us. This is a great community with friendly people. They are caring for her and her needs very well.

So far it has been a good experience. She has not been there along enough and so far everything is going good.

Very nice looking memory care community

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for our loved one. We really liked the look of this place! It is a memory care specific community, and the staff all seemed very knowledgeable and caring. Unfortunately they didn't have any openings when we toured, but they referred us to their sister community Sunridge at Cielo Vista, which we absolutely love!

Needed family there to monitor medication

I was only in that facility once, my dad was kind of put in there on blind faith; it was an emergency and I had to have a place to put im. It was a beautiful facility, eveyone was sitting having lunch together and it was very positive to me. While my dad was there, there was no family visiting and that would have made a big difference, but he was acting out and it was through his behavior there that another community wouldn't take him. When he was here he was on 5 very potent antipsychotic meds and htere were no family there to monitor it. It was a very new experience for me and there was no one there putting their foot down and saying no, it's too much.
I really liked the look of it, the one day I was in there it seemed to be a very nice facility with nice treatment, but my dad did not do well there.

At Sun Ridge at Desert Springs, a dementia care community, we provide superior Resident focused care. Our caregivers focus on knowing a resident’s wants, needs and preferences based on their life story. Understanding the residents’ past experiences and preferences allow us to provide for their needs at every stage of their memory loss. We honor and validate our resident’s feelings and strive to support them to be purposeful and successful each day, despite the disease process.

This one-story, 56-apartment secure housing community is honored to become the newest member of the 12 Oaks Senior Living family as of January 1, 2012. We are part of the Coronado area and close to Sunland Park Mall and Wal-Mart.

Located at 5901 Bandolero Drive in El Paso, Texas, the property contains a mix of studio suites and friendship suites. Monthly rental fees include many amenities such as meals, scheduled transportation, planned activities, utilities, emergency call system, housekeeping, total maintenance, and assistance with the activities of daily living. Elegant dining rooms, comfortable lounges, activity rooms, a beauty salon/barber shop and other common areas are for the use and enjoyment of residents.