Sugar Grove - Plainfield, IN

Loved living here!

Hi ******,

Room *** is now vacant. The mailbox key and door keys are on the kitchen counter top.
We were correct in that mom can no longer transition on her own.
She seems to be adjusting well at Plainfield Health.

Again, thank you so much for the love and care Sugar Grove gave to *********.
You were there with very reassuring solutions during a very difficult time of change.
I am highly impressed with the management, nursing staff, maintenance, and the dining room staff.
The friends mom made, as well. She is not normally one to seek out friendships. But, she really did at Sugar Grove, and enjoyed meeting and eating with the other tenants.

My sisters, my mom and I are forever grateful for your services.
You are welcome to use us as a reference. We highly recommend your facility to care for our loved ones..

Better communication

We really need the communication to get better at the Sugar Grove community. They are not receptive to my questions or concerns regarding my mom's care or her needs. [Removed] the manager is very nice and most of the rest of the staff member are friendly and caring, but there are a couple of nurses that are not providing the care that we thought we were to receive for my mom. The food is fine, mom's room is well taken care of by the housekeeping staff. The community is very clean. I just want the communication to be better.

Did not go as expected

It did not go well at all at the Sugar Grove. They did not give her the care that we expected. There did not seem to be enough staff on hand and when we did see staff they were in the nursing office on their cell phones. While we were there we even helped some of the residents because there was no staff around to assist them. My mom had a lot of falls, they did not give her the medicine we provided for her to take, we knew this because of the unopened packages. I had purchased brand new hearing aids for her that became lost while she was there. They said they changed the sheets twice a week and they didn't so I changed them. I talked to the nursing director regarding the issue and it still happened and I ended up changing them again. They would let her sleep too long, long enough to miss meals and they said they tried to wake her. When I went in the thermostat had been turned down, it was usually set to 74 degrees, and it was so cold in her room. We only asked that they take good care of my mom and they didn't.

Overwhelming Odor

It has been awhile since I toured this place but I must say when I toured this community the first thing you get when you enter the doors is an overwhelming odor of urine. It was far too clear that with the extent of the smell housekeeping seems to be an issue along with the staffing to ensure that the patients are being changed when necessary. I definitely would not put my mother there since I've worked in nursing home care in the past and this was disappointing to see.

Older Facility!!

I had a tour of this community recently for my mother and I have to say it was not my top choice. The facility was a little bit older and did not seem a well maintained as some of the other ones I had looked at. I just did not get the comfortable home setting that I would want my mother to live in.

Things are going well.

We are pleased with Sugar Grove.My mother is adjusting and getting involved in activities. It's always clean when I visit. We chose Sugar Grove because of the location.

Adjusting Well

My mother has adjusted very well to this community, and everything is working out quite well. We are comfortable with her move to this community. We know she is safe, and in great facility. The location is convenient for our families to travel too. They have a good staff at this community. It was a good choice for her, and her needs. This is a community I would recommend, it is working out well for us.

Very nice!

The community is nice and well maintained. My parents like it and they are adjusting very well. Dad is starting to get involved with some of the activities. We really liked the community because we needed a company that after a couple years would take Medicaid.

Short Staffed!!

The Sugar Grove is a clean very well maintained community. My loved one always smells good and has clean clothes on during my visits. The staff is friendly but they seem to be short staffed. The meals smell good but my loved one is not happy with the taste, it could use some improvement.

The property is very nice, and peaceful.

My Thoughts Of The Tour

The tour went well and I was able to get all the answers I needed. The staff keep the facility neat and clean. It also looks like a great community. The interaction with the residents seemed to be good. I was not able to try the meals they prepare.

Do not put or let anyone you know move there,

This is not a place for anyone to live, staff always walks out within 6 or less months. Price changes monthly and large one if you move out. Bad food - bad staff and the one charge has a temper, she her make people move in just 8 hours. If you do not believe me just live there and see. There Boss Jackie is unruly ----do not make her mad, it will cost you dearly. VERY TRUE

Sugar Grove is wonderful

Wonderful, caring, helpful staff. Nice, clean facility. Good food. Am so happy to have found Sugar Grove, a place where my dad can be safe and comfortable, and where we are confident he is in the best possible place to meet his needs.

My deepest gratitude to the staff for all you do.

Aimee was very helpful and gave us a lot of useful information.

Unhappy

When I moved my mother there about three years ago, it was a good place. Unfortunately new management came in and everything went downhill from there. There was a constant turnover of staff, and staff members became hard to find. Residents in the memory care were often left unattended and without activities. My mother's hearing aids were lost and nobody wanted to take responsibility. I have since moved her to another facility where she is receiving plenty of attention and professional care.

We had a few nice places to choose from and this was one of them.

I toured here as we were looking for options. It was a nice place. We made our final decision based on the best fit for my loved one's personality. We had a few nice places to choose from and this was one of them.

Facility is good, Food needs work

They could use better cooks, the meals are good but they are bland, not a lot of taste to them.

I like that it's all one floor, and is a smaller place.

It's clean and the staff is friendly. I like that it's all one floor, and is a smaller place. They layout seems to be easier to navigate. I have been having a problem communicating, and there has been some miscommunication about openings and getting in. I was hoping that we could get in there, but it fell through and now, I'm not sure.

NOT like it use to be :(

Slowly going downhill in assited living side. Constantly "short staffed". there are 4 washers and dryers for all residents. One has been broken for 6 months! Constant turn over of staff. Dining room food has deteriorated. Not enough waitresses makes slow service.
staff always huddled together in front office yucking it up. When you have to ask them something they act like you are bothering them.
lots of residents have moved out.

Nice Facility

This ranking is for Orchard House (the Memory Center at Sugar Grove). It's a really good memory facility for my mom with Alzheimer's. I ranked "good" on cleanliness because there's an old-age odor when walking in the halls & they don't do a great job with the cleaning of the individual rooms. I marked value as "good" because I think the price is a little too high. Perhaps if mom needed more assistance, the score would have been higher. Also, the overall rating is marked down because they will not give the family members the code for exiting the facility. I was "trapped" in the facility for over 20 minutes one evening because I couldn't find a staff member ANYWHERE. Finally, another family was coming in & I was able to exit. Other than that, the staff is VERY helpful & friendly, the services & activities offered are superb.

So far I haven't been really impressed.

We are getting new staff and it's getting better. Some of the nurses have been kind of nasty. The community has been trying to work with us. It's very fair, what you get for what you pay. They are very attentive to mother, I don't worry about her care, but they aren't real understanding of the family. They have just left us to fumble around, and don't do a very good job about communicating with the family, about what to expect. They have a wonderful activities director, but on the weekends they could do a bit more. Hannah was very sweet to my mom. She likes the food, I would give it a five, but I think the eating area could have been a little cleaner. I heard a lot of good things about them, but so far I haven't been really impressed.

Very Pleased

I’m pleased with it. There is enough parking. There are continuous activities which I really like. There are outside areas for residents to enjoy. We’re just really happy with them and the friendliness of the staff.

Way over medicated my aunt

They were medicating my aunt so she couldn't get out of her wheelchair without falling, they lost her wheelchair...we had a very difficult experience with them. They didn't keep up with things nor were they very good about seeing her and they had her on such an extreme amount of medication. The doctor she had there probably perscribed the medication based on what they were telling him and they probably just wanted her sedated so they wouldn't have to care for her. I would not recommend that place to anybody, we didn't even know what all she was on until we left there. They also wanted us to provide 24 hour sitters if we kept her there, and I think that would have been an additional 20 dollars an hour which we wouldn't have been able to afford. The medication thing became quote an issue and the fact that they wanted us to provide sitters.