St. Martha Villa - Downingtown, PA

Unhappy daughter

[name and date removed]
Very disappointed in this facility. Or a facility who doesn’t get involved with family matters they sure jumped into this The POA Does not have legal paper work to make all decisions and facility is not allow our mother to make her own decisions when she is quite capabile making her own decisions they stripped her from all out side communication including her call bell when POA took vacation they call police on her daughter when she comes to visit she isn’t even allowed to speak to her attorney mean while this poor lady needs medical help wants a second opinion from her previous doctors so sad how unchristian like this facility is to allow this. The food is awful. The front desk was rude the 2 nurses were caring but not allowed to get involved . They are over medicating when 2 nurses say she needs medical help and nothing is being done for it there charges are way to high for the care they are giving they don’t tell you they are no longer part of the arch diocese of Philadelphia it saddens me my mother is being care for at the end of her life poor food poor care poor staff who doesn’t check paperwork no compassion only after money look pass all the Christian symbols because this facility is just straight not good all away around

Wonderful facility

Absolutely a wonderful facility. The staff are cheerful and always willing to help. The amenities offered are consistent with the needs of the older population. I would recommend to anyone!!

A well run Community

This facility is a very nice, clean place. The staff are friendly, personable and easy to talk to. We found this facility to be a quality place for our folks. They offer both independent living as well as the ability to transfer to personal care. The nurses are great!! We would recommend this facility to everyone!

Friendly, comfortable place to live

Even though this facility is no longer owned by the [Removed] of Philadelphia, they still genuinely care about their residents and their quality of living. It is a very nice place, very comfortable and friendly. I would recommend this facility to anyone.

Awesome Facility

This facility is a very nice, clean, friendly facility. The front desk receptionist is always helpful and the staff's priorities are always resident driven. Everyone works as a team, and although there are several complaints regarding food, overall it is quite palatable. Nursing staff are amazing. Nothing is ever too much for them to handle. I would recommend this facility to everyone!!!

St. Martha Villa

We are so glad you had such a positive St Martha experience. Top quality care in a warm and loving environment is our #1 priority. We will gladly pass on your kind words to our dedicated team!

No longer a good place

This community was sold by the Archdiocese and no one told the residents it was sold. Things have declined since then. The food is terrible. It is like cardboard and they use ketchup for tomato sauce. The staff are wonderful and do everything they can. The residents are really nice. The staff are not happy with these changes. The community use to be a good place and was taken care of. The community is not as clean. They are supposed to clean the apartment once a week and they are not doing this.

St. Martha Villa

We are sorry that you had a negative experience. The care of our residents is our #1 priority. We would truly appreciate if you can please reach out to us at [removed] so that we can discuss your comments and ways that we can further improve the services we provide.

Excellent facility. Friendly and professional caregivers. Meal preparation could use better organization, though. Memory Support Unit is well-runned, especially by [Removed].

St. Martha Villa

Thank you so much for your kind words! At St. Martha Center we strive to provide our residents with quality care in a warm and loving atmosphere. We will be sure to share your warm words with our staff!

Horrible place to be!

This place was awful and I would not want to send anyone here. There are lacking staff which makes them take less care of the residents. The community is also very nasty and not kept clean. The staff that is there are trying to do a good job, but it is impossible in the conditions that they are in.

St. Martha Villa

At St. Martha Villa we pride ourselves in providing care to our residents in a dignified and loving manner. Please reach out to us [removed], as we would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you so that we can further improve the care we provide to our residents.

Great care for a good friend

The community here is very nice and helpful. My friend is able to live on her own but if assistance is needed. She is not active with activities at this time. I feel good knowing that she is taken care of and that there is always someone available if needed. I would recommend this clean and caring community to other families for the care and good value.

St. Martha Villa

Thank you for you kind review!
At St. Martha Villa providing our residents with care in a warm and loving environment is our #1 priority!
We will be sure to share your kind words with our dedicated staff!

Nice Community!!

My loved one seems to be really enjoying the community, there is lots of activities and different field trips throughout the week to help keep her busy and help enjoy the company of the other residents. I am overall very pleased with the care my mom has been receiving and have no complaints.

St. Martha Villa

Thank you so much for your kind words!
At St. Martha Villa we strive to provide our residents with quality care in a warm and loving atmosphere.
We will be sure to share your warm words with our staff!

When I Stopped In For A Tour

I was able to get a tour of this community. The guide showed me all around and answered my questions. Amenities were not the greatest but it seemed to look nice. The staff and residents were nice too. I felt that this place was more of a catholic institution so I did not choose it.

This is a nice community!

The staff were very nice during our tour of St. Martha Villa. The community did not seem as nice as the one we chose. It was an older building and it did not offer the same things as the other one.

Excellent Personal Care Home

My experience with moving my mother into St. Martha Villa was nothing like the previous review. I, also, moved mother into the memory support unit and found everything to be wonderful. The items that the previous person listed are truly unfounded. It doesn't even sound like she is in the same Personal Care Home as we are in. The courtyard garden is seasonal and available to all the other residents. Drinks are available 24 hours/day and we found no issues with the dining area. There are no 'rules' in that unit, just a smoothly running unit where staff attempt to make everyone welcome. It is a warm social area that has good hearted staff working. I would recommend this place to everyone.

The day my mother was admitted to St Martha's,there was an issue of cold air blowing down on her when I was tucking her in bed for the night.
I hadnt realized prior to admission/nor been informed that Mom's room & three others were on one thermostat, which was down the hall. The cold air coming from a down vent was reported, but not fixed, so I finally had to pull a kitchen chair down & back, to stand on while I turned the vents up. Granted, my mom's room did also have two wall radiators, but my mother couldn't operate them, let alone remember they were there. Yet,despite repeatedly asking staff to monitor her room temperature,her room was freezing cold or extremely hot on every visit.
Then, there was having to deal with a certain caregiver who barked instructions concerning 'floor rules', never gone over @ say, a floor orientation, when a resident moves in?
One evening, while I was about to sit Mom with another new resident for dinner, I was shocked by an angry look & finger pointing across the small room to a seat I began to sit my mom with another new resident for dinner, a nasty point of a finger to a seat o
pushed up against the wall by the table & a fire hydrant on the wall @ head leve, and a,"She sits there!"barked @ us, so, now I knew rule #1:
My mom had an assigned diningroom seat. Another 'rule' I learned in just as an abrupt/rude fashion was, "family members are not allowed in &/or to have a conversation with another family member anywhere near the diningroom. told in an arrogant fashion to leave when I was talking to another family member near the diningroom, They had so many rules and yet had claimed that the residents were to feel 'at home'. There wasn't anything in the refrigerator for Mom to drink between meals. Same old cartons of prune juice, that a dining staff memmber said that they brought to the dementia floor, because no one on the independent living side was drinking them. Oh, and there were quarts of diet sprite. No water, juice, etc. If Mom liked lemonade, I was told to buy it myself.
When I questioned residents being adequately hydrated, kitchen staff said that floor caregivers had order sheets to order anything needed to stock their refrigerators, but when I questioned the caregivers, they denied this. Stated that they could only order meals and argued that, besides, "their residents are adequately hydrated, between meal beverages, water with medications & an occasional snack during an activity. (Upon removing Mom from St Martha's, labwork showed her to be, in fact, dehydrated, and she required Potassium supplements)
Another stressor, was never getting an answer when I called with a question to her floor.
Then, their advertised "beautiful courtyard" still had not been cleaned up for the season by mid-July when I removed Mom. The only birdbath, had a broken, crumbling top top. There was a garden workstation, but the sink was filled with the muddy water with leaves from winter. Birdfeeders, as well as past-season flower pots, sat empty or contained dead plants, including the ones surrounding a Mother Mary statue.
My mother's hair didn't get washed for five weeks, even though I had signed her up for weekly beauty shop appointments. The list goes on & on, but the most upsetting incident was when staff called to tell me my mom was acting out, but refused to let me speak to her, to calm her down, stating "dementia residents are not allowed on their phones". Staff, from head administrator to caregivers, not only did not respond to my requests on behalf of my mother, but were defensive & argumentative with me. A 'very'disturbing experience indeed'is how I would describe St. Martha's Villa.
It's been four months since we left St Martha's, but I'm still experiencing problems, due to the haphazard way in which they ordered medications.
My mother's insurance company is trying to charge us the cash price, $59.69, for two tablets, because St Martha's didn't get the required prior authorization first.
I have called the financial manager twice to post date the prior auth, which should resolve the issue.
She says that head administrator needs to do it & states that she has sent an email to her both times, but it appears that she's refusing to comply. I also just called the financial director's suppervisor, as well as the facility's director last week, but no respose.
I have paid Mom's portion of the bill, but the pharmacy states it has been since June, so it is going to collection & my credit as co-signer on the account will be affected for their negligence.