South Hills Country Home for the Elderly - West Covina, CA

Great Place for Nana

A licensed board and care residence was the perfect place for my 101 year old grandmother when she was placed at South Hills Country Home for the Elderly last year. The owner, Julius, is a kind hearted man who truly cares about his residents. He communicated often with family members and was extremely flexible with our wishes; food requests, amount and frequency of visitors, and coordinating in-home medical care. The staff was pleasant and always did their best to make my grandmother comfortable and happy, even with a slight language barrier. There were no activities that I was aware of and thus the 3 star. My grandmother was there when she passed away on 7/4/14 and Julius, and his staff made sure to give our family privacy while we gathered and awaited the mortuary. I would highly recommend this home to others.

met with Maribel the Director. Nice ...

met with Maribel the Director. Nice area with a beautiful view of Covina Hills. HUGE bedrooms. Available room has double bed open. TV in den and in dining room. Has a small back porch with table and plants and a gated pool. Home does not have newer furnishings but was clean and seems cozy. Residents seemed satisfied. They have been in the business 18 years. the Director stressed her love for what she does and her eyes teared up as she spoke of former residents. Cost includes everything (bathing, washing clothes, meals, medicine management, doctor appts, hair cuts, fingernail trimming - except diapers. Unlimited doctor visits. There is only one caregiver but she and her husband go every day. They own another house a couple of blocks away. Drawbacks are 1) distance and 2) only one caregiver. Plus is virtually EVERYTHING is taken care of. They own two senior homes and have been doing this for 18 years. She really gets attached to her residents. I have not yet met with her husband but I have spoken with him on the phone.