Solstice Senior Living at Guilford - Guilford, CT

Solstice Senior Living at Guilford - Guilford, CT has yet not published prices.

The Gables has NO GENERATOR!

My parents moved in last summer and it is a nice place and staff but a few major issues since Solstice took over for the Gables

1 - this location is down a country road miles into thick woods --THEY DO NOT HAVE A GENERATOR! - it was promised back in January 2018 and sure enough the power went out and residents only had hall lights, NO HEAT AND the elevator didn't work for days- so , my father who can barely walk had to almost be carried down the stairs when I picked him up and drove them out of there to safety and our home - this is a total disgrace and epic blunder

2 - Despite constant complaints, the food is still terrible - my dad: "I had better food in the Navy' - and the portions are sparse

The staff is friendly and the place is gorgeous
It is a very nice

Sales manager was also a resident and knew everyone by name. Introduced me to several residents and I had lunch with two nice people. Community sense of living!

The Gables at Guilford ??? Are you sure ???

The Gables at Guilford ???
Well here's how our visit went:
Driving at a moderate speed on the entrance road, we were tailgated by someone in a big hurry. When I signaled to pull into a parking space in the "Visitors" lot the guy blew his horn at us. OK we said "he might have a medical emergency he's attending to...no problem". We walked toward the front entrance, saw him briskly walking toward the building, and passed his car in guess what...yep...the handicapped spaces.
Our scheduled appointment was for 10:00AM on 2/17/2017 but you already know that and we walked in thru the entrance door at 10:04, walked up to the receptionist desk and were told that [removed] had a client with him and would be about 10 minutes...no problem. 15 minutes later, [removed] door opens up and out walks [removed] and the a**h**e that blew his horn at us and parked illegally in the handicapped spaces. Talk about shocked? Well it gets even better.
The 2 of them walked by us and [removed[ said he'd be right back in about 10 minutes to give this guy the tour. OK 10 minutes. Shortly after that, hearing the conversation between my wife and I, which indicated our displeasure, the receptionist told us that this guy was a "walk-in" and she mentioned that he had come in at 9:50, which of course was a lie. She had no idea what transpired in the parking lot until we told her. That's about when her jaw started to quiver.
We said "but we scheduled a 10:00AM appointment".
I can't tell you how long after that we waited because when a person has been treated that badly, the sense of time is displaced with anger.
But I do know this, still no sign of [removed] and we walked out the door at 10:40...20 minutes after [removed] took this guy on the tour.
We are looking for a suitable place for my mom to live out however much time she has left, and at The Gables of Guilford???.....I wouldn't board my dog there.

Holiday Retirement

Hello Bob Skowronski, thank you so much for reaching out, and providing this honest feedback and review. We are so very sorry to hear this was your first impression of our community. We strive to deliver our residents and their family members an experience quite unlike (and very far from) the one you describe. Your feedback has been taken and shared, and we would like to sincerely apologize for this experience. We invite you to get in touch directly with our Resident Relations team at [removed] if you have additional feedback you would like to share, or to also write us if you prefer at [removed]. Again, we are so sorry to hear this experience, and truly wish you the best in your search for senior housing. Thank you so much, and please do have a wonderful rest of your day.

Sub par

Nice place. Very clean. But that's where it ends. Management doesn't really seem to care about residence needs. Once a month there are resident meetings. But any concerns fall on deaf ears. Rent increases are substantial . Rents are very expensive. Basically they rope you in with all kinds of promises, but rarely deliver after moving in. Now for the food and how it is prepared and served.

Horrible. There are supposed to be alternatives for lactose and gluten but they normally run out of those alternatives. The food is over cooked or under cooked. And this is a common complaint from many residents. Seems like the food choices, the long wait times to be served and the how the food is prepared is a big issue with most residents.
Considering meals are built into the rent, which again is very high. It's unfortunate residents pay for their meals and have to endure a sub par dining experience.

From first glance The GABLES seems like a very nice place. Very clean, apartments are very nice. The outside grounds are also very nice. And the staff, not including managers and sales, try to be attentive and caring.

But it seems sales and managers couldn't care less once you're a resident. If you're looking for a place where your loved one will recieve the care, attention, and nutrition they deserve. Steer clear of the GABLES at Guilford.

Overall it is a nice facility

Overall it is a nice facility. There seems to be a number of complaints from residents on a variety of things. They do a monthly form do address concerns but they don't seem to really respond to them. They do have a hair dresser but it would of been nice to know if they had a pediatrist. With 150 residents I would think they would get someone to perform those types of services. Other than that, It is a nice place.

Jury is still out

My Mom has been here for a little more than a month. Not totally convinced how great this place is. She is in a two bedroom and supposed to be on a waitlist for a one bedroom and twice a one bedroom has become available but they did not notify us. Guess they just want your money.. It's a lot of money for so-so entertainment and food. Typical senior citizen food. Feels like a cult atmosphere. The jury is still out on this one.

Holiday Retirement

Hi, I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement's Home Office. I'm so very sorry to hear that your mom is having a negative experience at The Gables at Guilford. As for her waiting for a 1 bedroom, do you know if there are any people ahead of her on the waiting list? Also, I'm concerned by your use of the phrase "cult atmosphere" since we never want our residents or their family to feel that way. Can you please call our Resident Relations line and provide more detail? We'd really like to investigate and see what we can do to help. Their number is [removed].

Thanks,
Katie

Lovely setting and light and spacious buildings. Well maintained with friendly, helpful staff. Tour was well organized and informative. Very positive experience.

Very happy with them

My mother has only been there for almost a week. Tomorrow will make it a week that she has been there. So far we are both very happy. Anything that we have asked for has been addressed immediately. The people are very courteous and care giving. I'm just very happy. Everything has been going smoothly. I'm glad that my mother is comfortable here. We are very pleased with The Gables at Guilford. It's a nice place.

Friendly, welcoming community

We toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. We thought The Gables at Guilford seemed like a nice place, overall! The facility was clean and well kept, and it had a homey feel to it, not quite as institutional as some places we saw.

Wonderful Place, So Thankful!

Well, we moved my mother from Maine. She was in her town for 50 years! She was totally entrenched in the town living, was 78 and been there since college! The house was too big and Maine winters too difficult now. We moved her to the Gables after CAREFUL scrutiny of ALL the independent living homes from Rocky Hill to Guilford and everything in between. The Gables was hands down the most lovely and the ground are unparalleled. So, off we go. The apartment was painted to perfection, all items were perfect from blinds to the oversized phone. The Managers are FANTASTIC and just there to help!! Stephanie and Dale were totally kind, warm and professional through the entire process, it was a total pleasure. When we arrived, it was uneventful, they give you your space, thank you! We set the apartment up with all my Moms antiques. Then, we brought her over. SHE LOVED IT. The dining room has six huge windows from ceiling to 3/4. It looks like a glass wall. My mothers looks out onto the dirt road and lawn and loads of gorgeous trees. It is Fall and absolutely gorgeous, looks like Maine. We can't wait til the leaves all drop and it snows. It will be so gorgeous.
Safety is paramount there. I toasted something for my MOM, the smoke alarm immediately felt the over heat and a tad of smoke and off it went. Within 1-3 mins, Nicole was at our door and checking it all out. Thank you!
With the lease comes the oversized phone and a life alert wrist button which my Mom wears, what a piece of mind!
All I can say is Thank you!!!!! I did not know it could be this wonderful. After 1 month my Mom is heading down to many meals, taking the bus to the grocery store and making many, many friends. You folks do a true service. Thank you!

Great place for senior living.

Excellent. My mother-in-law loves it here. I wish I had known about the Holiday communities before. So happy that A place for mom recommended them. I will be forever grateful.

It's wonderful! We love it!!

It's wonderful! We love it! what a saving grace! It saved my sisters life. What they charge for what they offer is great. They have a lot of activities and they are very affordable. You do need to be very independent. She came from a nursing home and had blood counts that were in the gutter, and with two weeks of getting rest and food and support from the family and the community all of her blood tests have come back so much better.

My Father-in-Law Seems Happy There

My father-in-law seems happy there. He's adjusting well and starting to participate in the activities a little bit. They have a lot of water problems there. The roof has been leaking. They don't update all their stuff like in the laundry room they have things in there that are not hooked up right and it's a big hassle to get things fixed. The food is okay but the portions could be a little bigger. There is a good selection. He's asked about country dancing on a few occasions and they haven't gotten any of that. They tend to have the same things there for activities.

the ritz!

my mom and dad feel so fortunate to be at the gables - mom says it's like being at the ritz!
dining room with soaring ceiling - and 3 great meals/day! high ceilings in rooms / distant country views / pond for fishing / and a multitude of activities to keep them engaged. all run by such friendly, live-in administration! i am comforted knowing that they are not uncomfortably displaced from their home of 46 years, but rather feel at-home already - their old possessions fitting in amazingly well helped greatly in this transition. they - and all of us sisters - feel they deserve this stylish and safe retirement home. thank you from alllll of us!!!

Everything is Excellent!

We love it! Everything is excellent there. My aunt who lives there and she's doing well. She's 95 and she thinks she has her old life back. She fell four years ago and has needed a lot of help but she's flourishing there!

She was a musician so she sings with a choral group there. She participates in anything that's musical. She's not complaining that she's bored. She likes the food because they gather everyone together so it's like social time for people. She's not feeling isolated at all. I'm, thoroughly impressed with The Gables.

I know it's independent living but there is a nursing situation there, just not run by The Gables. It's part of the reason I don't have to go so much - because they take really good care of her.

She has a much larger apartment here than the last place. It's as though the outside is inside. It's very open with lots of light coming in, a nice kitchenette, and lots of storage. When we walked in to see the apartment she just lit up.

Independed, Retirement Community - not the right fit for my mom

The facility itself is fine but my mother is not happy there. She has dementia and that facility really isnt' equipped to handle that. It just not appropriate for her so we're going to be taking her out there. That's not a knock on the facility. It's more of an independent retirement community and she needs more monitoring. They do have 24 hour aids but not to the degree of that she needs or the medical care she needs.

Beautiful grounds and building. Lots ...

Beautiful grounds and building. Lots of light, enjoyed the meal. Will definitely explore further.

Very Good Activities helpful. Good fa...

Very Good Activities helpful. Good facilities. VG for Independent living. A little out of the way, but a comfortable place

Solstice Senior Living provides a fulfilling, independent lifestyle in a welcoming environment.

Nestled within a 41-acre wooded nature preserve with hiking trails and a fully stocked fishing pond, you’ll love the quiet seclusion of Solstice Senior Living at Guilford and the convenience of being close to all of life’s great pleasures. We’re close to shopping, healthcare, wonderful dining and numerous local and unique regional attractions.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places
Solstice Senior Living offers our residents a one-of-a-kind travel program that invites you to stay up to seven nights per visit at most of our more than 300 independent living communities across the United States and Canada, where you’ll enjoy a comfortable guest room, all your meals, shuttle service, and participation in all programs and activities, at no additional expense.

Built with your comfort and safety in mind
Our easy-to-maneuver floor plans are ideal for seniors and all apartments have emergency pull cords. Our 24/7 dedicated live-in managers provide an additional level of comfort. We understand that each individual is unique and that needs may change over time.Solstice Senior Living does not provide any health care services. Residents are welcome to use outside home health care options that may enable them to continue enjoying life at our community.