Rittenhouse Village At Hoover - Hoover, AL

Great Community

We loved Rittenhouse Village when we toured there, and thought it seemed like a great community. However, it is a larger community, and I worried that my loved one would not do as well in such a big place. We decided a smaller community might be a better fit.

Large square. Nice facility.

Large square. Nice facility.

Old, pending repairs and modifications. Didn't like Cobblestone and one-way street.

Worst place to put your loved one

I put my loved one there about 7 months ago and I started regretting it about 6 months ago. No dates are on these reviews so I'm going to tell you that it was in [Removed]. Keep in mind that I am there at least 3 times a week so I'll see a lot of what goes on during the day the night and on the weekends. You name the problem and we had it. Stopped up toilets, a small flood in the facility, medication management was disregarded from the nursing staff and the doctor that comes in once a week. I took my loved one to the regular Dr, not the primary care physician that shows up once a week, and the PCP would not follow the orders from The Specialists even when I brought in paperwork from the specialists. Laundry has also been lost. The food they serve them is horrible. I call it chicken McNuggets meets a can of veg all. Sometimes the need is undercooked along with the vegetables. This is very unhealthy for the meat to be undercooked. They Market that their residents go on outings, but there has only been one outing to get ice cream in 7 months. I've taking my loved one to the doctor twice and to the hospital once because the staff kept saying "we haven't noticed anything" one example is they said they could not get a urine sample because when they went in, there was no urine left by the resident after two days. Give me a break! This place is full of Alzheimer's people that cannot remember 5 minutes ago. What was wrong with stand in there and saying hey please give me a urine sample. I could write a book, but it appears that these people have absolutely no training in Alzheimer's care and it is 100% a Memory Care Facility. So if you put your loved one in there thinking they are going to be looked after for a cough or because the have been laying in bed for 2 days, forget it. You still have to go and check on them. When you ask for a plate to be sent to the residents room, it is a major hassle and sometimes they do not even send it when they are supposed to. Or in one instance, I asked for a plate and they warmed up a cold sandwich that had fresh fruit in it. Nobody seems to be accountable to anybody and if you ask for something they tell you to go run around the facility and look for such-and-such person. I do not think this is my job. HORRIBLE PLACE.

Questioning

Be Aware:
Great sales pitchers! So far, poor follow through.
Weekends: "skeleton crew". Clogged plumbing, no water. Several days later, commode is stopped up.

Weekday, day shift kind and helpful.
Weekends are not good for patients as staff is too limited.

Bath assistance Mon., Wed. And Fri. Only.

Laundry? Find a dirty bed, change it yourself.

I will update this review. Just question and be aware of these observations.

Any health issues, doctor sends them to the hospital. Be ready to be on call. It seems they don't want to generate any bad statistics for their facility.

I am undecided as to where the family will go from here.

The lady at the front desk took me for a tour. She was able to answer all of my questions. The residents seem happy and the employees were pleasant. I was happy to see that even though this facility is all memory units, there was a variety of activities for the people to participate in and the mood seemed upbeat. We are still in the process of decision making but Rittenhouse is definitely on our short list.

Good impression.

I toured this community when we were looking for a place for my father. The staff was friendly and the community was clean. We ultimately decided to move elsewhere but they left a good impression.

Wonderful people!

Everyone her was fine and they were good to my husband. They took really good care of him before he passed. They were good and I would recommend them to others.

MemoryCareHoover

The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and have exterior windows. They are comfortably arranged for single occupancy and they have the option for shared rooms. Closet space is plentiful. A secure exterior courtyard is accessible to residents. Group activities and a dining room is provided for social interaction. Medical care is available in-house for check-ups including eye care. Although located near a major US and an interstate highway, the facility is nestled in a wooded area that is removed from excessive noise and activity. The monthly costs are comparable to other facilities with lesser services available.

I enjoyed the visit, they were very kind and knowledgeable about memory care. Refreshing to know that they are very familiar with these types of patients and their challenges.

[removed] and defensive administrarion

After 5 months we need to move my mother to a facility truly able to care for her. [removed] Do not carry out doctors orders. Crisis consistently on weekends when management is not there. In 40 days my mother was sent to 3 hospitals and rehabs. [removed] When administration knew we were going to take mom out of this place due to [removed] we got an order she needed a nursing home. No family council meetings keep families from knowing bad care is happening to more than us. Definitely falsely advertised as memory care facility. [removed]

This is more of an assisted living facility, not for dementia care. The staff does not provide the attention and care that dementia patients need.

Helping our Mom.

Our Mom hasn't been in residence very long, but in the time she has been there is any indication of how it is going to be, we couldn't be happier. Rittenhouse is a beautiful place, with flowers and furniture, it actually looks a bit like a nice hotel. The staff are all nice, very helpful and so patient.

Making Mom feel at home is our first priority, and everyone at Rittenhouse has been willing to help us achieve this goal. Vicki Mullins is great, she has been the most helpful in helping us on this leg of our Mom's journey. She understands this is difficult, not only for Mom, but for us as well.

The care givers seem inexperienced..

I feel like this facility is very different from assisted living. The care givers seem inexperienced. That is a concern. They tell me they are going to do something and they do not follow through. I'm still not positive that I can trust everything they say. It feels more like a nursing home. It is clean. It's just different. My loved one seems to be fine. The layout of the place is nice. They just need to improve on their care services.

very good

My father was only there for a few hours before he had to go to the hospital, but they were very good. I like that it is a smaller place and a very nice facility where the residents can get really good one on one care and attention. I am a nurse and really look out for little details that will make a place like this great and Rittenhouse Senior Living really is wonderful.

Things seem to be working fine here.

Things seem to be working fine here. I don't have any major complaints. The staff is friendly, the place is clean. I don't ever hear anything about the food. So far we are pretty happy with them. I give them a four out of five.

I was very impressed with this facility. I love the layout and amenities. The staff is super friendly and very knowledgable. The facility is clean and the staff to resident ratio was very reassuring.

It's nice, but very expensive.

It's very expensive. It's clean, but for the price, I would expect it to be cleaner, with more attention paid to the bathroom floors. The rooms are minimally furnished, there isn't even a clock in the room. The building itself is nice and the people are nice. They have a couple of dining rooms, one for those who need more assistance, and one for those who need less. My loved one complains about the food, but eats everything including desert, and the food has always looked okay. They do have two nice big courtyards, that are secured and safe. I am concerned because there seems to be lack of communication when it comes to the medical needs and getting doctors to come out and see my loved one, and knowing what is going on with that. During the actual move our world was crazy and Vicki was great about helping me when I was having a tough time, and helping the move happen.

They do not specialize in anything ot...

They do not specialize in anything other than assisted living! False advertisement! Unless your loved one is cognizant and can take care of themselves, this is not the place for someone with dementia or Alzheimer's.

A nice secured living facility

The first thing I noticed when I walked in the door was all the residents were not zonked out. The staff was very accommodating when I had a question. The building is set up very nicely for the residents and family members. I go to see my loved one everyday or every other day at all different times and I have not had a bad experience . Like with any place there are a few bumps in the road but they were promptly dealt with and corrected.
I would recommend Rittenhouse to my family and friends.

Good respite care stay

We used Rittenhouse for a brief respite stay for my loved one, and overall I thought they did an excellent job with his care. It is a very nice, clean community, and the staff were all very friendly. I was particularly impressed by the nursing staff, they were very knowledgeable and professional!

I would recommend them!

I think that their price is fair, and in line with other options in the area. We mainly picked them because they offer special care, and they were accomodating as far as my loved one's needs. Things sort of fell through in the beginning, but eventually were resolved.

The nursing care is slow to respond, and it seems that is because they are understaffed. It was difficult to get a shower scheduled in the beginning. They only have 1 nurse, 2 lpns, and the rest are nurse's aids. So, when you push your button for assistance, it takes a while for a response.

However, they are very efficient and very clean. The staff members who clean the rooms also serve dinner. Everyone seems to do everything, and it seems to work here! The staff don't seem to mind. Every little issue we've had has been resolved, and we really like this place. I would recommend them!

We enjoyed the entire envir...

We enjoyed the entire environment and particularly Viki Mullins's kindness. Rittenhouse's sole dedication to Dementia is a big lure... while also learning their attendants are well screened and paid higher than average to reduce employee turnover. Did not like wall to wall carpet floors in patients rooms. Should be laminate covering to avoid stains, odors and snags.

Rittenhouse Senior Living o...

Rittenhouse Senior Living of Hoover is only for memory care patients. The staff there seemed to be caring and helpful. This is not a place for someone who is not suffering from dementia.

My mother lived here for a few months...

My mother lived here for a few months while she was waiting for a space to open up in the memory care facility where her husband lived. The staff was generally friendly and helpful, particularly the front office/daytime receptionists and a couple of her personal care assistants (PCAs, I think they call them). However, twice my mother's toilet was clogged and it took days to get it fixed/cleaned up...even after I offered to do it myself while I was there and they declined. The entryway feels very institutional and dated, as does the building in general; multiple residents are typically sitting by the door and staring outside, begging/crying to leave, rather than being redirected and/or involved in some kind of activity. I viewed it as an acceptable temporary fix, mainly because her PCAs were attentive and we had limited options at the time - but it's not a place I would want my mom to live long-term.

This facility seems nice. ...

This facility seems nice. They were in the process of doing a little remodeling. It is one level set in a square so you can't really get lost in it. Several rooms for activities, as well as an outdoor area. When I was there the residents were outside under a shaded area participating in activites. Everyone seemed happy and the staff was friendly. It is located close to the Interstate in a Very nice area of town.