Decent

We had a decent tour of this community.

My mother's care

The care is outstanding for my mom and she is happy here. She just moved into the community. She is happy with the variety of the meals. We like the care from the staff who are very nice and helpful to her needs. We would recommend this community to other families. The is an outstanding value for great care.

Pretty but ugly underneath

Beware! Nursing admin staff has changed so much it is hard what to expect. They say they are their for their residents, but staff and have an alcohol fueled board of directors meeting on the property. Mom was so neglected and even found a used syringe in her room. Staff were so unhappy, it made it a very unhapy place.

Residents love it. Staff Caring

My mom lived @Knollwood Independent Living Apartments on the Richfield campus for almost 10 years. She was happy there socializing with the residents. The the staff is friendly and care about the residents. At 91 she now needs a little more personal care and we were relieved when she suggested the move to The Oaks, their assisted living facility. Many of the residents from Independent Living have moved there so she sees familiar faces. It is a beautiful facility and campus. The food is good. The housekeepers, kitchen, maintenance, medical and administrative staff are so kind and patient with the residents. Many of the staff have been there for years. So many activities for the residents. I urge anyone considering such a facility to go visit and talk with the residents. They gather in the "chat room", a large parlor, mid morning and afternoon each day for fellowship or on the front porch weather permitting so it is easy to connect with them.

Review of Richfield Living Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Salem, VA

Staff nice. Location in convenient. smile

Skeptical Mom

I had discussed an independent retirement community with mom for three years. I hated to see her stuck in her home everyday, with no one around to talk with and do things with, since I work full time. When I finally talked her into looking, we found Richfield. She was very skeptical about any retirement community. I think all she could think of was a nursing home. Within one minute of walking in the door of the Knollwood Apartment building, I knew we had found the perfect place for mom. Everything from the cleanliness & design of the apartment to the staff and the residents were above all expectations. The residents of Knollwood were amazing! They sat and talked with mom for quite some time, letting her know how they felt about living there. When mom and I left from our initial tour and got in the car, she asked me how soon she could move in!

My aunt found lots of people she knew...

My aunt found lots of people she knew and could relate to. The staff has been very caring in helping her to adjust.

We visited the Joseph ...

We visited the Joseph C. Thomas Center today, Jan. 16th. It is the memory care facility associated with Richfield Living. Our tour guide, Renee, did a good job with the tour and providing information. However, due to the overall size of the facility and the distance from our home I don't believe this will be on our final list of choices.