Portland Place - Sandusky, OH

Portland Place - Sandusky, OH has yet not published prices.

Not what was expected.

The Portland Place in Sandusky was a disappointment. My loved one was not happy there. Portland Place was poorly managed. Just did not live up to what we expected.

My dad seemed happy about this one. I like it because it is in Sandusky. I am going to try to get a second tour today [date removed].

My mother has been at Portland Place for about two years and we are very pleased with her care. Everyone goes out of their way to meet moms needs and the director has always followed up with anything we needed. The place feels like home and someone is always at the door to greet you with a smile or offering you to stay for dinner. Thank you for making this transition easier!

My parents loved it there!

My parents were the first tenants in there when it opened. They lived there for almost 10 years and they loved it!. It's not that big, so it has more of a close knit family environment. The staff was very good to my parents, and it is all on one level. It's not the "Taj Mihal", like some are, but it was very down to earth and homey, as were my parents. She liked it because it wasn't so fancy! Haha. They used to have family night: Dinner for the families and live entertainment, etc. We had many good times there. Miss you mom and dad!

Care standards are poor

My family member has encountered nothing but issues with her care. The director of nursing ,admissions and one other nurse seem to really care but besides that the rest of the staff is unprofessional including the director. We have had several trips to the hospital and multiple issues with managing her medications. I would not suggest to anyone!

Staff turnover/ Unfriendly Executive Director

Call lights are not answered in a timely manner. Residence are covered in urine or dried feces every morning staff quickly cares for them and gets it cleaned up but why are they left to go all night without care? Executive director always has a frown on her face take several attempts of calls and messages to get her to return one. Staff continually verbally complains about executive director in common areas where residents and visitors can hear. Turnover is atrocious! Only two employees currently have been there more than 2yrs. Would not recommend unless money is tight and loved one doesnt require much care because with a lot of vacancy they will make a good deal.

Believe it or not smoking is allowed

My mother in law had heard good things about this place from other people so she had decided before even touring the community that this is where she wanted to go. After touring this community she knew this was the right place for her. The staff is extremely accommodating to her. When she moved in they chose her room location based on the fact she was a smoker. There is a wonderful courtyard that is a designated smoking area with a swing and a sitting area and it's not too far for to walk too.
The staff has been open to all of the families concerns and request.We had mentioned that she is not a morning person so they have made arrangments to bring her breakfast to her and make sure she has her medicines in the morning. Even though my mother in law thinks she is independent enough to do her own medicine we had expressed our concerns to the staff and they ensured us that they would handle her medication and they explained it to her in a way that was respectful and not degrading to her in any way.
She uses their transportation services to go to and from the doctor's appointments which are very helpful. She loves the food and the residents there.

The Staff Are Attempting Everything

My mom's care is going as expected. She is being a little tough and the staff are trying their best to get her to feel comfortable and transition well. The staff also help with her medication. She is eating better, I know that for sure. She is slowly making friends and attempting activities. The community is a clean environment.

A good place

We took a tour of this community. It was very clean and the staff were very helpful with answering all of our questions. This apartment that my father wanted was smaller than he wanted. We would recommend this community for other families.

Going the extra mile!

the staff and the community were wonderful. They are very good about keeping me informed about my loved one. The staff really does go above and beyond for my loved one. The community does offer activities, but my loved one just has not started to participate.

Lots to Do!

The community is really great. I was worried that my loved ones would not adapt to the community. Now they are really getting to know the community and adjusting. The community has good programs and activities that my loved ones can do. The lunch menu has a good variety for them to choose from.

A Fine Experience

It was a fine experience for us here at this community. My mother was here for a respite stay. Everything was nice and clean. The staff was kind and helpful. There are nice activities offered. She was pleased with the meals. Overall it was fine experience for us here at this community.

Very good experience!

Our experience with Portland Place has been a very good one! We were in a really tight spot and the staff here was incredibly helpful and accommodating in making sure that my loved one got the help we needed! I also really appreciate how communicative they've been since we moved my loved one in. I'd give them high marks across the board!

We are quite happy with it.

We are quite happy with it. We don't have any major complaints. The variety of the food tends to get repetitive, but there are only so many variations you can make with a classic midwest diet, and that tends to happen at home as well. We are impressed with the smaller scale and the personalization they are able to provide. We had a good experience with the coordinator, and getting things set up. We appreciated them being flexible with our timing, and very accommodating.

Have visited my parents and they are happy and well cared for

Review of Our Parents' First Month at Portland Place

We have been so very pleased with the way our parents, Warren and Betty Cook, have transitioned into their new surroundings and life at Portland Place.

The staff was very helpful in the decision-making process, and the residents reaching out during our visits to express their satisfaction with their home was so encouraging.

Mom and Dad's apartment is roomy and beautiful, and filled with all their most prized possession from 62 years of marriage. The fact that they can remain together, safe and well cared for, in these last years is a huge relief to us, their children, and surprisingly to them, the assistance and safety is a huge relief and security to them, as well.

We are in love with the concept that Enlivant properties offer. We are so thankful to have found Portland Place, and feel very fortunate to have an Enlivant property near us.

Wayne and Teri Gerber
Jim and Sarah Ommert
on behalf of Warren and Betty Cook

Portland Place is an assisted living community located in Sandusky, Ohio just half a mile south of majestic Lake Eerie. We are close to several parks and recreation areas as well as historic downtown Sandusky.

Our community is proud to offer exceptional care that meets the various health and care needs of the seniors who live with us. We firmly believe in promoting independence by offering assistance with daily tasks without compromising an individual’s dignity. We offer many services to ensure our residents well-being:

•Rehabilitation on site
•Fitness room
•Wanderguard in place
•Activities specially designed to promote memory and motor function
•Medication management
•Chronic disease monitoring
•Full time Registered Nurse available at all times
•Individualized care plans
•Respite and short term stay
•Urgent placement
•Home visit program
•In case of emergency Firelands Regional Medical Center is three miles away

Our community is bright, cheerful and welcoming to you, your friends, family and even your pets. We have fun with activities including book clubs, dancing, arts and crafts and of course our very popular bingo sessions. Our outdoor activities range from playing horseshoes in our enclosed courtyard, picnics in the park and outings to local businesses and the Sandusky senior center.

We encourage socialization in our comfortable lounges, elegant restaurant style dining room and through our many activities. Our private dining room is available for entertaining guests and guests are welcome to spend the night in our comfortable guest rooms. There is even a beauty/barber shop on site to keep you looking your best. Our computer room is always available for those wishing to keep in touch with friends or who just want to spend time browsing the internet.