Plum Landing Retirement Community - Aurora, IL

still on my list of options

Everything is going well!!

I have no complaints of how things are going for my loved one since she made the move into this community. The staff have been easy to work with and I am comfortable with the quality of care they have been providing her. I liked the open floor plan and the different amenities she is provided throughout the building. She has had no problems with the meals and enjoys participating in the different activities. So far we are pleased and would recommend it to anyone.

Facility will be too expensive for Mom, plus no 1BR available in near future. Seems a bit institutional, but very friendly & great views of FOx River. Location was ok, but not terrific.

Wonderful community

I am very impressed with Plum Landing so far! The Executive Director, [Removed] Mangers, was extremely helpful, responsive, and accommodating during the move in process and is still highly attuned to our needs. All the staff thus far are kind and friendly. My brother is younger than most of the residents but he does participate in activities outside of the community. I really like the meals a lot but he is not crazy about them. He is quite picky, however, and they do offer meal alternatives, which is wonderful. A very nice perk is they have an option if you sign a year lease and stay in the same apartment, they will not raise the rent for the duration of your stay. The residents are friendly and helpful, yet not intrusive. I feel that my brother is safe and part of a community, which is important.

This was a nice tour for us. We liked the staff who were firendly and seemed to be very caring and nice. We did not see the meals, but they did have a good variety of activities. Other famililes might look into the options here for a loved one.

I Took A Tour!!

The tour guide was knowledgeable and answered my questions about the community. I thought the residence was very nice with a lot of open space. The housekeeping does a good job because all of the community was well organized and clean. There are various common areas throughout the whole place that the residents would enjoy.

This community has my recommendation!!

I am enjoying living at Plum Landing. There is good people and good food. They have a lot of amenities. Housekeeping does a good job of cleaning my apartment and the rest of the community. My apartment has a balcony and a great view.

The people, both employees and residents, are great! Everyone is like family!

So far everything has been excellent and I want to highly praise the help I received from Amanda , she has gone beyond her duties to help my mom who doesn't speak English and is absolutely a very nice hearted person !

A great place for mom!

After touring another facility in our area, we were concerned about mom moving to a senior facility. We found Plum Landing to be affordable for her. It was bright and cheerful with very nice apartments available. We liked all of the activities that the residents could participate in. The staff was so friendly and helpful. She seems to be doing well there and enjoying her new apartment.

Wonderful Support

From the tour through move in process, Plum Landing went above and beyond in making sure my Mother's questions were answered. Friendly staff, delicious restaurant style dining, beautiful scenery and a well maintained apartment. Very relieved and grateful to find such a place; she finds such joy in the beauty of the grounds, river and the park next door. And we both have peace of mind knowing that her rental rate is guaranteed to never increase.

Problems with an outside door

My Mother has enjoyed her time at Plum Landing. She has an issue that does not seem to be understood. She lives in one of the outside apartments. The closest door to enter the building does not have an opener. She struggles with the weight of the door while handling her walker or cane. Plum feels that she could go around to the other door which does have an opener, but it is a further walk. I think that they are failing to understand the challenges of an elderly person. Where is the compassion, or making the door user friendly to your residents?

Beautiful environment with access to outside

It is a low care facility.

What drew us is the environment. There is alot of access to outside. It is a beautiful setting, with a walking path on the river, and each person has a balcony. My mother really enjoys sitting outside.

It is easy to get to, from where I live, and from the highway.

They do trips to Aurora, and shopping trips.

Plum Landing- What a great community

I liked Plum Landing the minute I walked in the front door. I was greeted by a friendly smile and welcome. It did not take me long before I decided that my mom would love to live here.

Upon my mothers arrival she was greeted in the same friendly manner and instantly felt at home. My mom does not handle change very well, so for her to tell me that she loved Plum Landing and every one was so friendly and helpful really made me feel comfortable

Plum Landing sits right alongside the Fox River and every apartment has an outside balcony which has a great view of the river. It is a wonderful and peaceful retreat!

Visit Plum Landing and decide for yourself!

OVERALL EXCELLENT (...WITH A FEW HITCHES)

A parent lives at Plum Landing & I visit quite often, talk with staff & other residents, eat meals in the dining room & visit other floors. PL is one of the best around, with a mountain of positives & a few things prospective residents might do well to consider. Summary:
--- ENVIRONMENT: More like a nice hotel rather than retirement community sameness, especially in common areas, It really IS a home for residents. Clean, very nice furnishings, lush carpet, crystal light fixtures, antiques, tasteful accents & floral arrangements, a few whimsical touches. Exceptional holiday decorating everywhere! A happy place. You enter from street level, which is actually the 6th floor. It's built into the side of a hill overlooking the river, so floors are in decending order.
--- DINING: Gorgeous dining room, linen tablecloths, nice tableware, each resident & guest served individually at the table, nothing like a cafeteria. This really is a restaurant, not an afterthought. Guests are allowed (at a cost & a few hours notification). The food can be spectacular, including special-occasion prime rib the size of a dinner plate, beef tenderloin, & incredible BBQ ribs, some of the best I've had!!! Often super desserts. Occasional cookouts & theme meals. Good balanced food, sensible portions but many times leftovers too. Somewhat limited rotated salad, veggies, same juices & drink choices can get repetitious. Not everyone is fond of frequent chicken & mushrooms either. Don't know if/what's available for vegetarians. If you don't like the main meal, there are several alternate available, but apparently that food is sub-par if ordered for dinner. Lunch alternates are more liberal. One downside is that meals are a flat fee for the month, with no carryover or refund for uneaten meals. Many more plusses than not. Very friendly & considerate staff.
--- APARTMENT: Convenient layout considerate of senior ambulatory challenges. Rather small, but easy to get around in. The upgraded (but more expensive) double units are steller w/oak woodwork, doors & closet facings, multi-level closet space including built-in shelves & drawers, granite countertops, attractive tile bath & kitchen floors (carpet elsewhere). Nice compact kitchen w/smaller fridge, stove & microwave. No dishwasher. Very limited counter & cabinet space, but room for storage bins/shelves. Nice walk-in shower w/combo showerhead/hand nozzle. Big balcony, though lots of spiders & other little critters. It IS very near to the river. If you live on the park side on the lowest level, you'll get to interact with various friendly wildlife. Staff does it's best to minimize pests. Unit comes with a VERY small storage cage in a common area.
--- STAFF: Outstanding overall. They seem to be genuinely care about the residents & are mostly happy about being there. Small maintenance/cleaning staff is friendly & thorough. Dining staff is superb. Administration is great. Has been slight unresponsiveness from the director, but it seemed more in response to picky expectations of a resident.
--- ONE RESERVATION: Plum Landing does not accommodate wheelchairs or motorized chairs. I understand they're not allowed. Plum Landing stresses that it is independent living, not assisted living, which apparently includes those who must use a wheelchair. Look elsewhere if that's a problem, or the prospected resident is expected to encounter increasing physical challenges that could lead to needing a wheelchair. I heard that one resident was "encouraged" to move out because of wheelchair issues. Most people use canes or rollators/walkers.

In summary, I highly recommend Plum Landing over other similar places we reviewed.

Don Mangers

I’d like to start by thanking the reviewer for the thoughtfulness and time that went into writing this review, and the recommendation of Plum Landing over other similar communities this reviewer visited. I am concerned however over the comment that Plum Landing does not accommodate or allow wheelchairs or motorized chairs. That is simply not true.

We do have and have had residents in wheelchairs. As long as a resident can manage getting around on their own, whether by walking on their own or with the assistance of an aide such as a cane, walker, wheelchair, or motorized device, they are welcome. We do not have staff available to help transfer or transport residents. That does fall under assisted living, and we are not licensed for that. We do have and have had residents with live-in caregivers that can and do perform that function. We are an independent living community, which means that we do not provide any direct medical care or have any medical staff. We do have a relationship with a home health care agency to provide services that may be needed by some residents, or residents may seek those services on their own if they wish.

We do provide many services to make life more enjoyable for our residents, including our wonderful dining, housekeeping, maintenance, activities, and a top notch staff. I would welcome a discussion with the reviewer or anyone else who has a question regarding this or any other topic regarding Plum Landing. Thank you.

Mom is not too happy with the food

I don't have a lot of experience with the staff there but the experience I do have had been good. My mom really initially said she was happy with the food but after living there for about a month she's not as happy with it. It might be that she ate enough of the menu and just got tired of it - I don't know.

We meet with the director -- she was ...

We meet with the director -- she was great - they have a few openings in our time slot -- We'll talk to Mom and see. Since it is a monthly lease - other options would make it easy to get her up to the area and make a leisure decision.

Month to month leases - Non-profit fa...

Month to month leases - Non-profit facility. 15 breakfasts/30 dinners included.

The director has been very helpful, f...

The director has been very helpful, friendly and informative. I know mom will love the apartment layouts, balconies, mature trees, the river and views. The building has a warm feeling and a good layout. The chapel was very quaint. The dinning room is gorgeous!

I really like this one I didn't see ...

I really like this one I didn't see anything about pets

Amanda Castro

We do have pet friendly apartments available! Please call us for more information

Fox Valley's Premier Retirement Community Plum Landing is the place to live for independent seniors! All the freedom you want and services to make life easier and more enjoyable. Delight in top notch service from our dedicated and friendly staff, newly renovated apartments, and the best activity program and food around.

Residents will always be surrounded by warm, caring neighbors and a friendly and helpful staff. Plum Landing boasts a full activity program with something for everyone. Residents enjoy special scheduled outings for breakfast, lunch and dinner; trips to shows, parks, and museums. They also play cards, exercise, watch movies, Wii Bowl, and enjoy special entertainment right inside our building. Residents are encouraged to invite friends and family to join them for meals in our dining room, or even stay over in our guest apartment.

We offer studio and one-bedroom apartments. Each apartment has a full bathroom and kitchenette; complete with a gas stove/oven, refrigerator, microwave, sink and plenty of cabinet space. Each apartment also offers a balcony or patio that overlooks the Fox River.

In 1962, Plum Landing opened its doors as a not-for-profit organization, providing a secure environment in a quiet and peaceful setting for active adults, 55 and better, who want to live independently. We are governed by a local board of directors who are prominent in all areas of local business, many of whom have had family that called Plum Landing home. A not-for-profit organization ensures that are prices are reasonable and that any income is invested directly back into providing the very best services and the management of the building and campus. Thanks to philanthropic support and a well-managed endowment that sustain its superior quality of services, Plum Landing remains vital, even during lean financial years; giving residents and their families peace-of-mind that we are here to stay.
PLEASE CALL TO SCHEDULE A TOUR- DO NOT SCHEDULE ONLINE