Oakmont at Gordon Park - Bristol, VA

Just Right For Dad

My dad liked the apartment he stayed in. It is very spacious and there are a lot of activities for those who want to take part in them. He though it was good to see that anytime he rang for help, they came right in to help out. The community didn't have a feel like an
assisted living, more like a retirement community. It had a nice pavilion in the center of the complex. The staff seemed to have pretty good attitudes.

There are only three prices based on room type and all assume fullest level of care. There are kitchenettes in the assisted living rooms. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Beautiful commons and dining rooms.

Amazing Care

I like knowing that my mom is happy at this caring community. We like that she is living. in a clean community. The meals are amazing and a great variety for her to choose from. The suite she has and she likes her room so much. We would recommend this outstanding community for a great care and good value to others seeking great care

Personal care at top levels.

I am so glad I found and chose Oakmont at Gordon Park for my Mom. First off they went way above the norm to admit my Mom in record time. We were surprised with Mom being discharged from the hospital before we were prepared. I called [Removed] at 2:30, toured the facility a little after 3:00. Mom was admitted and in her room around 7:30. Wow. Mom was put on hospice within a week of admittance, so I cannot speak about the activities and such, however I did hear daily the staff encouraging residents in the nearby rooms to come and participate. Each and every one of the staff showed genuine interest in my Mom with most of them treating her like their own family. Each one took the time to speak to Mom, ask how she was doing, and ask if she needed anything additional. She received more hugs and complements and real empathy than I could have asked for. We were all treated as family. The only negative I can report on is that like most places, there seemed to never be enough hands on board. Given that this is a new facility, i feel they have room to work on this. My opinion is that the CNA's are spread too thin with tasks that maybe could be handled by non skilled personnel, such as carrying water to the rooms (and encouraging the residents to drink), delivering meals to rooms, serving meals, after meal cleanup and laundry. However this may not be permitted by law. I would not hesitate to recommend Oakmont nor would I hesitate to place Dad there if the time comes.

Adjusting!

The staff is doing a great job with my dad. Dad really does not like much these days so they are trying to help him to transition. The community and dad's room is always clean. We like that dad gets his own private room.