American House Spring Lake - Spring Lake, MI

Dad is happy Here

The setting in here is very peaceful and quiet. There isn't a lot of commotion going on. It has a homey feeling to it, maybe 18 residents. He sometimes enjoys the daily activities, they had a Christmas party and his wife joined him for that. The food is very good the chef is a retired chef so it is excellent, he buys the food and prepares it. They have private rooms and they will come in and clean them weekly. The whole place is always clean. The staff always try to accommodate him and his needs. I would recommend this community.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for your 4-star review of our community! We're so glad to hear your dad is happy at American House Spring Lake and we appreciate your feedback.

Very nice rooms and nice surroundings. Smaller buildings and separate ones for Assisted and Memory Care. This would be Independent Living with services added if needed. Smaller venue but not sure if right socializing environment.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for your 4-star review of our community. We're glad to hear you were pleased with American House Spring Lake and appreciate your feedback. We'd love to have you back to join us for one of our scheduled social events. Give us a call anytime. We'd be happy to have you as our guest!

Apartment as big as what they moved out of

The 2 bedroom apartment that mom and dad moved into is as big as the townhouse they moved out of they have so much space. The staff is wonderful especially the maintenance staff they made it so much easier moving mom and dad into their apartment.
Mom and dad are enjoying their time there they are slowly getting involved in activities and meeting new people. The residents are very diverse
The landscaping is very nice everything is well groomed and taken care of from the inside to the outside. The food is fabulous very well prepared.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thanks so much for your 5-star review of our community! We appreciate your feedback and we're glad to hear that your mom and dad are settling in and making themselves at home. It's our pleasure to serve our residents - good to know the transition went so smoothly!

This facility was very nice and very well run when it was Oak Crest. Since American House has taken over the care and staffing (what staffing they have) has gotten horrible. My mother is in what is supposed to be an assisted living, they have been moving Alzheimer patients into her building, and now she has to lock her door to keep these patients out of her room. Some days, she only eats once a day because the food that is prepared is not elderly friendly. Family members have to come daily to make her bed, make sure she has clean towels, toilet paper, empty trash. Many nights she is not getting her medication because the ONLY STAFF person is not in the building. Yes, there is only ONE person assigned to be on staff, and that person is out of the building, so if something should happen, there is no one in the building, and we have watched this person leave the building and not come back for 30-60 minutes. The other day while I was visiting, a resident in another room pulled the call cord.....the annoying buzzer went off for over an hour. My mother said that sometimes she hears that noise all night long. Very disappointed with American House!!

American House Senior Living Communities

We appreciate your feedback and hope we will have an opportunity to address your concerns directly. Please call us at your earliest convenience at [removed]. Thank you.

Pleased with my Move Here

I'am satisfied with my move to this community everything is working out well. Everyone has been welcoming, and kind. The staff is good, and helpful. They do a good job with the cleanliness of the community. The meals are pretty good, and they provide good activities for the residents. I'am pleased with this community, and I would recommend it.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for your 5-star review of our community. We're so glad you've chosen to call American House Spring Lake home, and we appreciate your feedback!

A good experience

Mom enjoyed her short respite stay at this community. The staff were nice and helpful. The food was good and they offer plenty of activities. The community is clean and I would recommend this community for a respite stay.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for your 5-star review of American House Spring Lake. We appreciate your feedback and we're glad to know you AND mom were happy at our community!

Good Tour For The most Part

I had a pretty good tour of this community. For the most part the community appeared to be well-kept. The staff I met was kind and friendly. There were many factors that played into where to place my mother. This community wasn't the right fit her and her needs.

Most gracious community!!

This community was the most gracious of them all and the staff has been very easy to work with. My loved one has really been enjoying the activity program as well as the company of the other residents. Overall she has been very pleased with this facility and would definitely recommend it.

Encouraging Staff!!

The chef has been wonderful towards my loved ones needs, they have made any adjustments she has needed to make sure her needs are met and she is satisfied. The staff has been great at encouraging my mom to get more involved in the activities they have going on throughout the day.

Failing

This care facility has continued to go downhill since being taken over by American House. Staff turn over is constant. Activities are sporatic at best. There is no incentives for employees to work in the more intensive memory care units. Cutbacks in kitchen staff have care workers pulling extra duty on the weekends and sandwiches being the mainstay. This is not what we signed up for and after voicing our concerns, we were given lip service cause the situations still exist and are slowly deteriorating. Looking for anywhere else to put my loved one. Would not recommend to anyone.

Big change

Ever since the company change the quality of the care has depleted. I watch staff become understaffed from so many quitting because of too much being put on their workload and not enough time to do it. American House does not view it's residents and staff as valuable people but as a way to make extra money. Managment does nothing but turn their heads to issues concerning the residents because it's too much work for them to put in effort to problem solve. Budgeting is constantly the excuse for every issue brought to their attention yet rent seems to keep climbing and hours seem to keep getting cut. It's not the same company it used to be.

I have not found anything I do not like about this community!!

Mom is in the memory care unit and the staff are very attentive and helpful to my mom. They make sure she eats and takes her to participate in some of the activities offered. The staff keep me updated on the care of my mom. The community is kept clean and I would recommend it.

The Untold Story

Since the new owner has taken over and the trickle down has hit, I've been very disappointed. Staff is running out the door so fast the remaining staff is working double shifts and giving notice. Our family has been happy with the staff who work directly with mom.

They no longer have an activity director. Staff is expected to care and provide activities for the senior residents.

Promises made when mom was admitted are now being revoked. We were told staff could handle her and the various issues she had. Now we're told this is not a skilled facility. Staff is not trained in behavior issues many seniors suffer, communication is poor, and the administration lies about the services they can provide.

I would give a complete, 5-star rating, if it weren't for the situation with the food. The food service seems to be in total control of quality, or lack thereof -- which is HUGE for seniors living in assisted living. It needs to be made better.

In general everything has been very good and helpful.

In general everything has been very good and helpful. I think the systems are such that may cause an over-reaction. They have certain protocols that call for going to the hospital even when unnecessary. We chose them because they had a generally, less clinical environment. It's also smaller and easier to navigate than some of the ones we saw.

Quiet, charming, clean and friendly.

My mother has anxiety, trust issues, and depression. Oak crest in Spring Lake has made her feel welcome and look out for her.
Sometimes communication gets crossed, But the staff has Always exhibited genuine concern and care.
Quieter facility, VERY clean, perfect size facility for people who don't like big complexes.
Big enough to give a sense of private rooms, but small enough to give the personal touch.

Oak Crest is stunning! I ho...

Oak Crest is stunning! I hope I can live there some day!

Looks very nice. Spring LAke and HOll...

Looks very nice. Spring LAke and HOlland. Fishing and pets allowed. Loos like lots of freedom with care as needed

We know it isn't easy finding the right senior living situation for elderly parents in Spring Lake, Michigan. American House Spring Lake presents the best solutions in senior care. Our convenient location allows for easy visits from Muskegon, Grand Haven and other communities along Lake Michigan.

American House takes great pride in our warm, friendly, and knowledgeable staff. A safe homelike environment on peaceful, beautiful grounds is one of the first things you'll notice upon visiting our campus. You'll find lots of options in our floor plans from singles to spacious suites, and apartments.

Our Assisted Living Plus program offers Memory Care Living specially designed for the needs of our residents with Alzheimer's and dementia. No matter what your needs are, you are in competent hands at American House. We have specially trained resident staff in all levels of senior care.

Independent living on our Villas campus offers a choice of amenities. Apartments here give you freedom with many conveniences; full bath, full kitchen, patios, and washers and dryers in a lovely community full of active seniors. Villas residents have 24 hour security, an emergency call system and on-campus staff, as well as many choices in added service options.