North Star - Coeur d'Alene, ID

Highly recommended

My mom loves this place. She is more active, social, and happy. Good food, great people, this really is my mom's new home.

We toured this community

We went on a tour here and it was good. The staff was nice and helpful. They answered all of our questions. The rooms were on the smaller side and this is for my mom and dad. It was a nice and clean community just a little on the expensive side.

Do not bring your loved one here if they have dementia

My Mom was here for about 4 months. I think my definition of assisted living and their definition of assisted living is like night and day. They didn’t talk with me very nicely and their idea of assistance was walking into Mom’s room and telling her to get dressed and that was it. There were a few things that they said they would do and those things never happened. The entire time she was there, they were over promising and under delivering. They weren’t producing any of the results that we were paying for but they sure had no problem billing you for it. I’m not saying the facility is bad, you just have to stay on the ball with them. Otherwise they’ll charge you extra without you ever knowing. At one point, my mom wasn’t in her room and when I asked where she was, they had no idea. They told us to talk to another resident who was in the assisted living area with her. We eventually found out that they thought she was married to the other resident and would let him take her out of the facility. There were times where they wouldn’t do her laundry for a while until we made a comment about it, though they were telling us they were doing it once a week. They also said they would be folding her laundry, but there were numerous times where we would check on her and her laundry would just be sitting in the basket unfolded. The main facility was fine, but the assisted side was the worst. I would not suggest bringing your loved one here, especially if they have dementia.

Ron Bartlett

Thank you for your feedback. Your comments go into the greater whole of what makes us better at caring for the fine people who live in our communities. As an owner, I was able to request an update on what happened with your loved one: I'm glad to hear that we were able to help refer her to a nearby memory care that offers specialized dementia care that better suits her condition. If you have any further feedback, I encourage you to call our home office and ask to speak with any of the company owners. It would be our pleasure to hear from you.

I really Enjoy Living Here

I have been at North Star for about a month now, and I am very pleased so far. The staff is so friendly and cooperative, maintenance and housekeeping are both very pleasant, and are right there to take care of you needs. The meals are great with a very good variety of options. They also have a number of games, exercise glasses, a gym, and outings for the residents. It’s a very lively and social community, and I’m really enjoying living here.

This was the 2nd place I visited and the atmosphere was very warm and inviting. The interaction between the staff and residents was wonderful - they all seemed happy. [Removed] greeted each one by name and it was evident that it was genuine. I toured the facility and it was so well done, I did not have any questions when we were finished. It is a beautiful facility and it will definitely be on my list to consider when my parents are ready to make this move. It seemed like the people there were content - whether reading a book or playing Bridge or waiting for the bus for an outing or having a late lunch... did not see any sad or unhappy faces. Even tho it is 20 years old, they do very well at keeping it maintained and up to date.

Not bad

This seemed like a really great community when we visited. The person that took us on tour was friendly. They allow pets and seem to offer daily activities.This community is self pay and will not accept medicaid if you run out of funds. The community we chose does accept medicaid.

A newer and larger facility that is very well kept. Very nice dining room but with two meals daily with choices. Has free laundry for personal items, but there is basic housekeeping once a week which includes laundering of bed linen. Parking available for personal vehicles. Pets allowed. Very friendly atmosphere. There is a stove or oven and a larger refrigerator. Small appliances including microwave are up to you. Cable and WiFi is included. Of the three places I saw on the 25th of May, this was the most expensive, especially when you consider there are only two meals daily. One final note: This is a very nice facility if you are willing to pay the price.

My visit to North Star

This looked like a nice community when I visited. The people I met were nice. This community does not work with Medicaid. I would recommend taking a look at this community.

Mom Felt the Connection

She is doing wonderful and she tells me she loves everything at this community. The staff are wonderful and went above and beyond for her. It feels like home and is comfy or my mom. I would recommend them my friends in need.

Staff nice; food needs attention!

The staff seem friendly and helpful.

My mother-in-law is very unhappy with the food, however and we are sad that she isn't able to have tasty meals when she is elderly and paying alot of money. Breakfast is pretty decent. Other meals are unimaginative, under-seasoned and overcooked. Fruit is often not ripe. Guest meals very small for active people; my husband and I avoid joining her for meals.

At one point the activities director left and a resident was leading exercises. This didn't seem right. My mother-in-law didn't feel the resident did a very god job.

Maybe there is too much focus on making money off the residents and not enough focus on quality?

Thank for asking - please look at the quality of food issue!

Not perfect, however clean facility and staff is friendly

Overall, nice clean facility but monthly rental independent living expense is high for just 2 meals provided each day. Vehicle parking for guests is limited when trying to visit family member and wish North Star involved and invited families to more events. Seem to be high turnover with kitchen wait staff creating a little bit of a wait for food order and food is occasionally served luke warm to cold. Overall, the facility is well kept and staff is very helpful and friendly.

We love North Star!

Mom mother has lived at North Star for almost three years. We love the place and she loves living there. It has become her home and her extended family. She has a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment with a deck. The apartment has plenty of storage with a large closet in each bedroom and two more large walk in storage closets. The food is fantastic, you can order what ever you like and I have yet to have bad meal there. Try the Steak! My mom is very social and loves going to Bingo, Bridge, Bible Study, Social Hour (with adult beverages), Soft soccer, Trips to softball games, The Casino, Lunch, Dinner and more. You can be as active and social as you like or as little as you like, it works both ways. North Star has a bright, friendly and inviting atmosphere. When I visit my mom after work, it brightens my day just walking into the building, everyone says hi, and walking down the hall to her room where everyone has decorated their door and shelf with personal items or for the latest Holiday. I love North Star and hope they have room for me when the time comes to leave my home.

We would, and have, recommended North Star to other
families looking for a quality retirement community for a
family member. The staff is friendly and helpful. Our family
member has been living at North Star for a few years and has made many friends and enjoys the activities provided.
The food is very good and the kitchen is always willing to
accommodate any dietary issues.

Leisure Living

Northstar should be called leisure living and not just retirement living! The staff goes out of their way to provide services and to fill our needs and they are helpful and friendly while doing it. There are activities and social events to enjoy and no lack of nice people to get to know. The facility is clean and well kept. It is a real pleasure to live here.

Friendly Staff!!

I would recommend the North Star community to a friend because my loved one is having a great experience there. The staff is wonderful. They offer a variety of activities and outings for the residents. The dining room is beautiful, it has a fancy restaurant feel to it. The meals offered are nutritious and in good portions. The room she is in fits her needs well, she loves the fact that she has her own balcony.

Staff is Amazing!!

The staff is very friendly and always patient with my loved one. The community is beautiful and its in a great location. I am very pleased with the food and there is a lot of healthy options for my loved one to choose from. The staff has also been excellent with getting my mom back on her feet and participating in activities.
-PS

Great community!

We really enjoyed the tour of North Star at Coeur d"Alene. It was nicely kept and updated. The community was very clean throughout. They have a number of activities for the residents to enjoy and participate in. We didn't decide on this community because they just changed their policy on pets. North Star no longer accepts cats.

My Friend Is Hoping To Move Here Soon

I toured this community with my friend, and he loved it. The community is nice and big. From what I saw everything appeared to be well maintained. The staff was kind and courteous. They were informative and answered my questions. There many activities offered for the residents. He is hoping they have an opening soon. He would love to move here. Our tour went very well.

Review of North Star-Coeur D'alene, ID

All of the employees are always nice. They greet you and they really care about you. They treat every resident the same. These people put their heard and soul into their job. I cannot say enough about North Star.

Review of North Star Coeur-D'alene, Id

I am happy to be here in this community. Our chefs and servers are so good. I don't know why I hear complaints. Some people!! :( I couldn't ask for better personnel at the desk and office staff. They are always there to help us. The maintenance personnel is right here when needed. Also lots of activities to keep busy. I have lived here for about 8 years and still feel glad that I chose North star.

Review of North Star-Coeur D'alene, Id

I am enjoying living here at North Star Retirement very much. I like all the activities as a way to meet new people. I am enjoying the people that live here. The employees are very friendly and helpful. I think the food is very good. I appreciate the excellent beauty shop here in our building. Our transportation is helpful to doctors and other places. I am very glad I chose to live here and call it my home now.

Review of North Star-Coeur D'alene, Id

I have resided at North Star for three years, along with my husband. We have both been treated by, by the whole staff, with dignity and warmth. The meals are excellent, served in a clean and cheerful atmosphere. Our apartment is comfortable with a private patio. This complex is located minutes from a hospital, several restaurants, walking path and shopping.

Review of North Star-Coeur D'alene, Id

I have lived here since 2003. The people who work here are so helpful and friendly and very lovely. My 1 bedroom apartment is very nice and clean on a weekly basis.

Safe and Caring Environment

I think that they provide a very safe and caring environment for my loved one who is at North Star. I just find the staff members to be doing a really good job. I give them a five -star rating overall.

It's very clean, and the staff is very good.

It's very clean, and the staff is very good. They are very responsive and attentive. They have quite a bit of entertainment, but not great numbers attending, and mostly the same people attend. The food is good, however, my complaints would only be that because they are taking some dietary or health needs into consideration, and I don't have any restrictions, so it's not always seasoned enough for me. The staff is so nice though, it all works out. I'm pretty sure I could go and get some sauces and bring them to the table with me, and that would be fine.

Great place great staff especially Becky!

Great place great staff especially Becky!

Thank you for how clean and friendly our community is.

Thank you for how clean and friendly our community is.

Amazing facility!

Amazing facility! Staff is wonderful and so kind. The facility is very clean and kept up very nicely.Staff is wonderful and so kind. The facility is very clean and kept up very nicely.

I cannot recommend North Star highly enough. I am very pleased.

The staff at North Star, and in particular Melanie, made my mother's transition low stress and easy. Having to move sight unseen to North Star, I was prepared for disappointment and anxiety. On the contrary, my mother was welcomed and felt cared for reducing her anxiety and improving her overall well being. She is much happier and raves about the staff, the sense of community as she makes new friends, and the food, especially the food.

I cannot recommend North Star highly enough. I am very pleased.

If you want to be treated like family this is it!

Having been to North Star many times what impressed me the most was the politeness of the staff. If you want to be treated like family this is it!

What a beautiful, friendly community!

What a beautiful, friendly community! It was full of energy & Life! Off the menu 5 star dining & chauffeured Cadillac service are very impressive. The apartments have so much more storage space than I anticipated! My grandmother will love it here!

Great staff, very friendly and personable.

Great staff, very friendly and personable. A very nice facility with all the amenities you could ask for, and an amazing location.

Becky is great to work with!

Becky is great to work with. She's such a caring and outgoing person. So positive. An asset to North Star!

They did a good job.

They did a good job. We didn't have any problems to report. They were reliable, and we never had any issues with them.

The staff has been fantastic, they have been great.

The staff has been fantastic, they have been great. They are in the ball park with everyone else financially speaking. They are good with their response time, we are out of state, and we might have to call to get the information, but they are right on top of it when we do. They have a huge level of activities, they have a great variety and offering of things to do. They offer two dining rooms the assisted or the main independent, my loved one has the option of eating in either one. The main dining room is very nice. The food has been healthy and wholesome. I have eaten there and it's good, nothing gourmet but good, and the portions seem appropriate. They have a choice with most things there.

Mom's resided at NorthStar for nearly 2 years...

We went with Mom and visited numerous CdA/Post Falls independent living communities starting about three years ago. Our initial visits (2 of them) to Fairwinds--now named NorthStar--were impressive, with the staff, activities and food all being outstanding. Mom ultimately chose NorthStar over the others facilities we visited. Fast forward 2 years and the staff is still very nice, but the food quality has declined significantly. Since dining is a major part of the Northstar experience--and a major cost--this is a big deal. There tends to be a lot of very salty and fried foods, and the portions have shrunk steadily over the time she has been there. Waiter service is pleasant yet very long waits for food seems to be the norm. We used to eat meals with her there regularly, but now find it tough to justify when what's served is not unlike a $3.49 Lean Cuisine in both quantity and quality, the main difference being the addition of a small side salad. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible, but it's certainly not worth the cost. The last time we ate there both my Mom and her table mates complained, with one having to send her meal back due to it being cold. We're told that is quite typical now. We hope that NorthStar will address these issues, as the facility has a lot to offer and does most things very well.

I Wish I Chose Them!

They were so accommodating and nice. They were more money and I was worried my mother would worry about her budget but now I wish I had chosen them. They had a hospitality type room and if mom's room wasn't ready yet she could stay there for free because she was moving in. If I could get my mother to move I would.

The food was a huge difference. There was a lady sitting there after hours and she had a sandwich with fresh cut fruit. It looked like something I would eat. If it's within the hours that they serve food then you'll get food. Instead of being super regimented like some other places, this is like being at a restaurant.

North Star (formerly Fairwinds Coeur d' Alene) is a Stellar Senior Living Retirement Community located in the heart of Coeur d' Alene. Our thriving, active community boasts the best is our full service restaurant dining, with made to order meals just for your! Our 130 apartment homes offer full kitchens, weekly housekeeping, cable TV, utilities, transportation, activities and outings all included in your monthly rent.

Stroll along the paved walking trail right out your backdoor to RiverStone. You can also walk along the Spokane River while viewing the beautiful mountains and lake Coeur d' Alene. Stop in at the Regal Cinema, grab a Starbucks coffee or just sit and listen to one of the free summer concerts in the park. It won't take long to see why our community was voted "Best of 2013 Senior Living" and " Best of 2013 Assisted Living Facility".

We are conveniently located off I-90, just a few minutes to Kootenai Medical Center and Ironwood Health park area. Our outstanding residents, staff and environment is bar none. We want you to experience an exciting retirement—it’s your next adventure.

Stop by and join us for a tour and lunch as our guests, we are here seven days a week awaiting your company. The sense of well-being, security and freedom of lifestyle is what North Star is all about.

“Life is good… Make it Stellar”™