Normandy Apartments - Dearborn, MI

New Owners Don't Care

I lived here for five years. This apartment building used to be a hidden gem in Dearborn until the original owners sold to an apartment management company that is nothing more than slumlords. Everything changed: residents were not screened, the building was not kept up like before, "landscaping" became a guy on a mower mowing the grass, residents moved in with grandchildren. New residents put bed sheets or black garbage bags on their windows instead of curtains, actual garbage littered the hallways and lobby, the children threw coffee mugs off the balcony and damaged residents' cars, police were being called on a regular basis, but nothing was done about it. I moved out.

It used to be a nice place to live

My relative has lived there for over 5 years. Up until the sale of the property, the apartments would get a 5 star review. Under the new management, however, cuts have been made in every area - residents, landscaping, maintenance, activities, and general upkeep. My relative now looks at an overfilled dumpster in the parking lot. The lot was not cleared for walking when it snowed. My relative needed a clearance from a social worker's visit before she was approved to rent an apartment. She did not have a problem with any of the disabled residents. Now several of the new people moving in are obviously mentally ill - roaming the halls at night, banging doors, starting fires, having confrontations, etc. Many of the residents under the old management company have moved and my relative is on a waiting list to move.

Getting Mom Moved

Maggie Champagne Kramer was the advocate that help me with getting my mother relocated from Grand Rapids MI. to Dearborn MI.. I needed help and didn't know where to look first. I had heard about A Place for Mom. I emailed a question. I needed information about the various living situations for seniors. Maggie emailed me back with a boat load of information, like what is assisted living, when its needed, what is a senior community ? Just everything about the living circumstances and how to choose. Then gave me a list of apartments to choose from. My mom gets Section 8, this was not a simple task. I had never dealt with this type of situation. I asked questions and got answers. Long story, to jump to the finish. Three months ago I didn't have a clue. My mom has now moved in to her apartment, and it's perfect. I do mean perfect. We are both very happy. It was one of the apartments that was referred to me by Maggie. It's the first one she suggested. I contacted Maggie recently about social security. Again very helpful. If you got questions A Place for Mom can help.

I'd live here - not retired yet

My mother has lived in Normandy since last summer. It is a very lively community with great people. The apartment is sooo nice and maintenance is top notch.

Normandy Apartments offers high-rise living and a warm and welcoming lifestyle. One bedroom apartment homes are designed for your comfort and convenience. You will enjoy the park-like setting, scenic views and beautifully landscaped grounds. Special amenities, resident events and activities enhance your living experience. Shopping, dining, banking and transportation are conveniently located nearby. Service is our specialty at Normandy Apartments; here you will enjoy the comforts of a home without the upkeep.

Normandy Apartments offer Government-assisted rents for persons age 62 and over, and for young disabled. Rent is based on 30% of monthly adjusted income.