American House Southgate Senior Living - Southgate, MI

Bright and cheery and lots more lively people even though place is smaller and has less people. Smelled nice when we entered building. Impressed with large living quarters and ease for wheelchair if needed. I think central air would be nicer because bedroom seemed a little warm. Very willing to work with us on pricing. Food display was nice feature but no offer to try.--

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for your 5-star review of our community! We value your time, and appreciate you stopping in to tour with us. Come back and enjoy a chef-prepared lunch - give us a call!

loved smallness of complex/very active and friendly members/a bit pricey

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for taking the time to tour with us. We appreciate your feedback!

The Set Up Was Not Fitting

I had a good tour. However, they didn't have the shelves in the hallway. It would be helpful for my loved one to know which would be their room. I didn't like that there was one elevator and one laundry facility.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for taking the time to tour with us. We appreciate your feedback.

Nice Tour, Friendly Staff

I had a pleasant tour of this community. Everything went well, and everyone was kind. The community looked nice, and everything was well-kept. The staff was kind, and friendly overall. I did find another community that suited out needs better, but my tour of this community was a nice one.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for taking the time to tour with us at American House Southgate. We're glad to hear you were happy with our community and appreciate your feedback.

I took a tour!!

My mother and I toured American House Southgate when we were searching for a community for her. The facility was nice and so were all of the staff, but the location was not in the area we wanted.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for taking the time to tour with us. We appreciate your feedback.

Care for mom

I like the care here for my mom. The staff is outstanding and caring. We like to see that the community is clean and taken care of.The meals are very good. This is a good location for the family to visit. We do recommend the care of this community and the value of a loved one.

American House Senior Living Communities

We're glad to hear that you're happy with our community and hope that your mom is settling in and making friends. Thanks for the great feedback - we appreciate it!

AH Southgate

AH was deceiving thought was assisted living but found out was senior living with assistance available.

Excellent facility. Staff friendly & always accommodating to each residents' needs. Activities Director reaches out to get residents involved in trips & activities.

Comfort for Dad!!

The care for my father has been going great. The staff is very friendly and loving, they keep me updated on my father and answer any questions i have. The room my loved one is in is comfortable, has its own bathroom and is always clean. The residents are friendly and the community offers a mixture of activities. I would defiantly recommend the American House Southgate Senior Living to a friend.

Very Impressed With My Tour

This is a lovely community, I was impressed with my tour of it. Everybody was very kind and friendly. The community appeared to be well maintained. It was a bit expensive for our budget, and that was the main factor. My tour guide was very informative, and nice. My tour went very well.

Horrible Experience

Our experience at this community was horrible. They are trying to take advantage of my parents and their money. They are over charging my parents and I do not think it is right. They are not easy to work. Mainly my issues has been with billing, but they did try their best to care for my parents. It just wasn't a good experience and I would not recommend this community.

Friendly, professional staff

Our experience with American House has been a very good one, so far! The staff is friendly and professional, and they've been helpful, responsive, and flexible throughout the whole process. I'd give them top marks across the board!

All Been Pretty Good

So far it seems to be a pretty good experience with the American House. I think like delivering their meals up to the room, it's like $5 a meal, so that seems kind of high. Otherwise, it has all been pretty good.

very happy

My mother really adapted well at American House Southgate Senior Living. The people there are all very friendly. The food is very good, and all the people there are great.

We may need a little more care at some point in the future than what they offer there, but other than that I am very happy with them.

It was dark and there was no body out.

We toured here, and I knew right away this was not a place for my mother. It was dark and there was no body out. There wasn't any activity going on, and it wasn't a very social place at all. It didn't feel like a very happy place.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for your feedback. You may have caught our residents on a quiet day. However, we do have plenty of activities for our residents to enjoy and our staff does include a Life Enrichment Director. I’m sorry you didn’t feel like this location would be a good fit for your mother but we do have other communities that may be more of what you are looking for. I’d be more than happy to meet with you and discuss what options are available. Feel free to call me directly to schedule a day and time convenient to meet. Sincerely, Danyell Zajac, Executive Director

Misleading

They are very friendly, but they mislead us. We put her in the facility knowing that her finances could not afford the monthly rent, but they said we could apply to get aid. We did, but we were denied and we have still been refused any assistance with her. So I feel like the mislead us in accepting her even though it was clear from the start she could not afford it.

American House Senior Living Communities

We appreciate you taking the time to send your valuable insight on your experience and for mentioning our friendly staff. Your honest feedback ensures we fully understand your concern and enables us to better serve you in the future. Please accept our sincerest apology for any inconvenience this may have caused you or your family. We have every desire to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve your issue. I invite you to contact me directly at [removed] to schedule a day and time to meet in person. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Warmest Regards, Danyell Zajac, Executive Director

Just Don't

They are the #1 Senior Community that can promise you this, that and everything in between and then talk their way out of a paperbag when their promises fall through. The images of American House Southgate used are not even of the Southgate location. Staff members are hired on a rotated door basis. No one stays and the good ones always leave because of poor management. Little is done to "enrich" the lives of their residents and many choose to stay in their rooms because you can be bored there too. Rent was $2400 a month and all you got from that was 3 mediocre meals a day and some trips to walmart as "outings". They do have a "Life Enrichment Director" now but my understanding is that if she's lucky she gets enough money in her budget for like 10 residents to do crafts. If I can recommend one thing to you: it is that you find another location or senior community all together. They of course have openings but that's not a good enough reason to move in there. Please, If i can share any knowledge with you about this location I urge you to look somewhere else. Don't make a hasty decision and move here just to move here.

American House Senior Living Communities

Our Life Enrichment Director does indeed work hard to plan outings and events for our residents to include trips to the casino, apple orchards, Detroit Tigers baseball games and events with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. Our residents do actively participate in and enjoy the activities and amenities provided at the American House Southgate location. In addition, residents like to spend time together in the Anytime Cafe over a cup of fresh coffee. I’d like to talk to you more about your specific concerns. Please call me personally when you have a free moment. Thank you!
Danyell Petrere, Executive Director

The complex has nice curb a...

The complex has nice curb appeal. They've recently renovated walk-in area so everything looks fresh, clean and inviting. The one bedroom apartments are very spacious with lots of storage areas and have full kitchens. We noticed about two dozen people at lunch, and were told that many of the residents like to eat in their room. Mom said it would be hard to make friends if most people stay in their rooms. The activities rooms were large and comfortable, even if the activity is watching the big TVs. There are emergency pull cords in all the rooms, and soon they will be making all residents wear a Life Alert pendants. This sounds great, but a dementia patient (like my mom) might easily forget what that pendant is. Bottom line: Mom liked the American House Southgate. My biggest concern is that this place would not qualify for a VA subsidy, since they offer no memory care.

American House Senior Living Communities

Having fantastic staff is a big
deal — for us, and for the residents. It’s the biggest difference in
quality care, so that’s great to hear! As far as our food, I can
assure you that Brian K. Rosso, Director of Culinary Services, and
James Nickleberry, Corporate Chef, put much thought and effort into
creating meals that are not only tasty, but nutritious. Here’s a
little insight into our food prep:
[removed] If your parents have
specific (or even all-around) concerns about the food,
I’d be very interesting in talking to them — and you. Please call me
directly or stop by my office and we can discuss your concerns.

Anne Tomlinson, Executive Director

American House Senior Living Communities

Even though many residents may prefer eating in their rooms,
I can assure you there are indeed plenty of opportunities for your mom
to socialize here! We have daily activities, and plenty of events and
other activities throughout the month that our Life Enrichment
Director works hard at creating to make sure our residents are having
fun!

If you’re interested in a Memory Care community, you may benefit from
checking out ours at Elmwood Senior Living in Rochester Hills.

I would be happy to address your concerns if you’d like to call me
personally. Thanks for your interest!

Danyell Zajac, Executive Director

Located in the heart of downriver, Southgate is home to numerous dining experiences, golf courses and neighborhood parks. Minutes from the freeway and Detroit Metropolitan Airport, Southgate also boasts close proximity to neighboring downriver communities such as Riverview, Wyandotte, Woodhaven, Trenton and Grosse Ile. American House Southgate is also close to hospitals including Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital and Oakwood Hospital. Southgate Senior Living provides Independent Living with assistance available.*

Apartment options at Southgate Senior Living include 1 and 2 bedrooms – all with full kitchens, dining areas, and private baths. Though currently under renovation, Southgate will ultimately offer property amenities like a full-service dining room, beauty salon/barber shop, fitness room, and activity centers with a dedicated, full-time life enrichment director.

Restaurant-style dining is available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A Life Enrichment Director plans a wide range of cultural, social and recreational programming. Resident Services also include 24-hour on-site staff and scheduled transportation. Laundry and housekeeping services are also available.

*Medical support services provided by a third party not affiliated with American House.