Mt. Arlington Senior Living - Mount Arlington, NJ

Nice looking place

I toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. This seemed like a nice place! It was clean, the staff and residents looked like they got along well, and there seemed to be a lot of activities. It was a bit too far to be an option for our family, but it was somewhere I would have been comfortable placing my loved one.

very nice

One thing they have done that has been very very nice is that the first day my mother-in-law was there all the department heads stopped by to meet her personally. They know and greet her by name. It has been really very good. Her condition greatly improved during her stay there at Mt. Arlington Senior Living and I would highly recommend them.

Mt Arlington is a lovely assisted living facility. The overall staff are friendly and the facility kept very clean and decorated beautifully. The Bridge to Rediscovery Unit (aka-dementia unit) however, needs some improvement in communication with staff and family members. These residents have no one to communicate for them. If questions are asked regarding their activities or care, you do not always get an answer. As this is not a nursing home, there is no documentation as to how their day went, how they slept, if showered etc. We are asked to question the nurse about all these things. As she visits these residents she is aware of their medical needs but isn't there all day to know all these answers. As you must be an advocate for an ill parent or loved one, you need to question things. Unfortunately, you feel certain nursing staff(director) trying to avoid you and will not even acknowledge you. This is disappointing, but overall they are friendly and try hard to accommodate you. The staff does their best on a floor that I'm sure can be very difficult. Activities on this floor, again, while difficult, need extra hands to assist. Perhaps trying to reach out to nearby towns, schools,churches etc for volunteers to assist with crafts, games etc.

We toured this location when we were ...

We toured this location when we were looking into care options for a loved one. Overall this seemed like a very nice place! It was clean, well kept, and the staff all seemed friendly. However, during the tour we just didn't see many people out socializing, and my loved one really wanted somewhere with an active social atmosphere.

Very happy

So far, they have been very attentive to my Aunt's needs.
I think the amount charged for her med mgmt is too high, as she only takes 3 pills a day.

Nice place!

So far we're very pleased with how things are going at Mt. Arlington Senior Living. The staff are all very friendly and helpful, and they made it a very smooth transition for my loved one. The facility itself is nice looking and clean, and they've been able to provide for all of his care needs here without incident! They also appear to have a lot going on for the residents to do, although my loved one hasn't participated much.

Everything is a five.

Everything is a five. The community is clean and the staff is a very friendly. We’ve been very happy with them. The only concern is that there were some issues when we first moved in. The activities are all acceptable.

They are doing a good job!

They are doing a good job! They are very clean, they do a good job taking care of mom. They are quick with their response time, and attentive. The have her busy and she is not just sitting and watching t.v. It's a nice campus with a nice view. We are satisfied with it.

A lovely community

My friend moved here after having a terrible experience elsewhere, and the difference is like night and day. This is a lovely community, it's a like a hotel! She is doing so much better here, and is much happier now. Considering this is about the same price she was paying before this location is a MUCH better value!

A very nice community

One thing we really liked about this community, and a reason that we selected it, was the smaller size. We wanted something that would feel more personal, and wouldn't be overwhelming for my in-laws to get used to. It's very nice looking, and clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. The food is alright, it's good most days but can be hit or miss depending on the dish.
I feel like the community could have been a little more helpful with the paperwork, since we were moving my in-laws in from out-of-state, which I'm sure they deal with all the time, but was a lot for us to deal with without help.

Nice All Inclusive Package

My mom is also on hospice besides the care there because she really needs a high level of care. We have an all inclusive contract for $150 a day, meaning that they will never charge us more based on the level of care that she needs. The only thing extra that we pay is for TV and the beauty salon. They do usually have activities, and entertainment in the summer every weekend, but this month there is not much scheduled at all. The people are very bored. I have heard them complain that they wish there was something to do. In the summer, their plantings outside are gorgeous but they need to water them! The food there was good. They just had a turn over in management. The director is gone and they have someone in the interim until they can find a new person. I am not sure why they had the turnover.

Not Impressed

They weren't professional. They set up an appointment with us and weren't ready for us when we got there. The rooms weren't as nice. It's wasn't as clean, it was a lot noisier than any of the others we saw. I was just generally noisy and the staff was not near as professional as they should have been.

Ask many questions

The amount they quote you will never be the amount of the bill. There are a lot of add on charges that are not mentioned up front. No matter how silly or insignificant you may think the question is please ask so there are no surprises when the bill arrives.
The aids and nurses are great, the front desk help is not aware of anything. They will call that you need to sign or pick up an item,when you arrive no one at the desk has any idea why you are there, several trips to accomplish one thing.

Found the setup more like an upscaled...

Found the setup more like an upscaled hotel and the tour had more of a rush feel. may be that Director was not really comfortable, seemed as though she was not aware of the scheduled tour, it may have been just a bad day.

Mom has entered into respite care for...

Mom has entered into respite care for two weeks. She is enjoying herself.

Pros: Location. Nice and well-ma...

Pros: Location. Nice and well-maintained (but older) facility with more resident suites than Sunrise. Staff very helpful, curteous and professional with residents and visitors. On-site physical/rehab therapist. Rooms/private suites are attractive, clean and well-maintained (but a little dated). Fire control and building security functional and maintained. Overall a nice facility and less expensive than Sunrise. Cons: High/loud noise levels (voice and music) in common areas. Facility design has hotel style corridors leading to rooms and suites. Private (couples) suite appears to be smaller than in Sunrise. Outdoor walkway limited to front of building with no noticeable rest areas (benches/chairs) along walkway route. Given the proximity to the main entrance, the ground floor common area (nursing station, receptionist, bistro and dining rooms, etc) appeared very busy, somewhat congested with residents and friends/visitors and was noisey.

Excellent

Excellent

went to meet with director last week ...

went to meet with director last week and loved the facility, staff and programs offered.

Welcome to Mt Arlington Senior Living. Mt. Arlington Senior Living sits high on a hilltop offering breathtaking views of the rolling hills and wooded landscape surrounding the community. The Community is located just minutes from local shopping, restaurants, Lake Hopatcong, places of worship, and within one hour from New York City. Our residents enjoy regular activities including movies, day trips to the casinos, picnics, Rockaway Mall, Shoprite, Wal-Mart, etc. We also have a daily 'happy hour' called Tavern Time at 3pm for residents to take advantage of opportunities to mingle and socialize with friends while enjoying a beer and soft pretzel in our Tavern. We have resident run committees including cooking, baking, grievance and resident store. We would love for you to take a tour of our upbeat community! Warm Regards, Lori Maloney, Executive Director