Great place to live

My dad is receiving excellent care and attention, they assist him with all of his daily living, and the food is great. Compared to other facilities, the food is great, for example, pork loin, mashed potatoes, green beans, beef stew, mac and cheese, home made soups, unsweet iced tea, pudding to name a few things they offer. The room is large, high ceilings, wood floors, exceptionally clean, some rooms have marble fireplace fronts, stained glass. The bathrooms are very clean, and the dining area is like being at home. My dad loves it, everyone is so nice and helpful all the time.

Not for me

I was not able to eat the food as it was not made for diabetic residents. I had a hard time making friends. I really did not get to know the staff as I did not see them often. This is a 150 to 200 year old house and it seemed like a fire trap to me. They only served coffee in the morning. I would not recommend this community.

They Are Providing Basic Care

My mom is transitioning okay. The location is good for her to get where she wants like the stores that are near by and she can use the public transportation. The services are somewhat limited but for what she needs it is basic enough. She is safe and living in a clean community. She is not too happy with the meals and would like fresh foods like fruit and vegetables.

[Removed] was extremely helpful and welcoming. It was very clean and cozy. I need to make sure my mother will have a private room and follow up medical care for her conditions, [Removed] ensured me all those needs will be met.

Mom currently lives here. Overall it's a good establishment. They are caring, but are better with people who can care for themselves fairly well.

Compassionate Care

Everyone with whom I've spoken ha been extremely caring and wanting to help. They have gone out of their way to make my brother comfortable.

Great Atmosphere

My mom is living at this community. It is very nice almost like a bed and breakfast. I had great help from A Place For Mom.

GOOD DECISION

Albert was a resident at the Merriam House up until his death. The staff was exceptionally caring! Thank you for treating Albert so good. Even after his death, the compassion you showed will not be forgotten.

They Are Caring For My Brother Well

They are caring for my brother very well at this community. He seems to have adjusted well to it. The staff is good, they are very helping and they have been very welcoming. The community looks nice, they keep everything very nice and clean. The one thing that I have noticed, they do not offer many activities. I haven't heard any complaints about the food. I do feel we are getting our money's worth. It would be a community I would recommend.

Good & Affordable

My mom has lived here for a month, so far it's gone well. Fay (director) is quick to return emails and phone calls. Only complaint from mom is that they could offer more food.

Place appeared clean but is an old building and dark in most of the place. They showed me a couple of rooms based on our needs. Most of rooms do not have private baths. When I asked for pricing the woman thought for a minute and then scribbled a figure on a piece of paper. There was nothing officially printed. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a loved one there.

Horrible Place, My brother was a res...

Horrible Place,
My brother was a resident at the Merriam House for a few years. I had many issues with the Merriam house.
For starters, I witness the house keeper many times administering meds to the residents. She would just hand them a cup with their meds but did not watch to see if they were taken. Many times I found meds in my brother’s room which he did not take. When I brought this to the attention of director, she didn’t have much to say and nothing was done about.
Security – very little. [removed]
Meals – what a joke. The main hot meal was served at 11:30 in the morning. Most meals were processed foods or pasta. At 4:30 they were served dinner which consisted of a sandwich with 1 slice of cold cut on white bread and a bowl of soup. Again raised this issue many times with the director about the lack of nutritional meals and nothing changes.
Cleanliness – another joke. I would visit my brother every week. Most times his room was not cleaned and I would spend a few hours cleaning it up. Again raised this issue with the director and nothing done about it.
My brother was rushed to the hospital on a Sunday evening at 10:00 pm. I received a voice mail message on Monday morning at 6:00 am by which time I had already left for work. I did not receive the message until I got home that evening at 5:00pm. By that time, my brother was intubated on life-support. Had a terrible argument with the director.
She does not take any responsibility or ownership for the any actions or lack of for her staff. Also, in the winter time it is extremely cold throughout the building. Many of the windows do not close all the way and the residents sit in the common areas with their coats on. I would not recommend this place for your loved one!

Terrible!

I have nothing good to say about this place! My friend moved in here without doing much searching, since it was a close location and looked like the proper care needs on paper. All of the residents were too far gone to hold a basic conversation, and the "therapy" was just basic exercise! The food was terrible, all bland and out of a can. It also smelled bad. I really would not recommend this community to anyone.

Had to move Dad out

My Dad had been living in this community, and I did not like it. They never seemed to have enough staff, and they were difficult to get ahold of and communicate with. I was never impressed with the cleanliness of the community, and I also felt the activities were inadequate. We moved him to a different community, and he is doing much better.

Everyone there is very friendly but v...

Everyone there is very friendly but very few speak english and its a little difficult to understand at times. This place has done more for my mom in the few weeks she has been there then being at another facility. They had her up walking the first week and as of today the wheelchair is totally gone. I never thought she would walk again. I was/am very very impressed.
The facility itself is a little depressing as being a very old house. Wish there were more activities and she tends to just sit in her room all day. Overall as stated very impressed with the work/employees that has already been done.

Nice place, not secure enough

It wasn't too good, she walked all over the palce and she pulled the fire alarm, it wasn't secure enough for her. They were providng as best they could, the staff was real friendly and it seemed to be pretty clean. She jsut roamed all over the place and they were always chasing after her. Upstairs there was a door and she could have gone out there and gotten hurt, thankfully she didn't. She has dementia and they thought they would be able to care for her but she just kept giving them problems. It was a nice place but they weren't equipped to help her. If my mother didn't have the probelms she has with remembering things I'm sure they would have been a great place for her.

Very interested in this one, had doc,...

Very interested in this one, had doc, nurses, assists with meds. Semi privet room. small semi starting 1875. helps with showers. every 3 weeks haircut.

My tour with the director at Westwind...

My tour with the director at Westwind Manor was terrific. He couldn't have been more pleasant or informative. I did bring my checklist from "A Place For Mom", but by the time I thought to look at it, the director had already addressed all the topics and any extra questions that I may have had. The manor is beautifully restored and clean as a whistle. The director and all the staff that I met were very wecoming and although I did not see them interacting with the residents at this time, I had a "good feeling" about them. I was particularly impressed with the level of personal care provided as far as video cameras in living room, dining area, and hallways. Some residents also had personal alert monitoring. Residents had 24 hr. care available. I was also happy, especially because of my parents' health issues, to hear that the manor will soon be apprved as a skilled heath facility providing 24 hr. nursing care. The director was very hospitable, inviting us and our family members to visit at any time to partake in the scheduled activities or meals provided by their many-years experienced cook. Judging by the smell of their midday meal being prepared, I wish I had had the time to stay! All in all, I would feel more than comfortable leaving my parents in the care of the director and his staff. The director is very proud of his home and should be! For my first visit to an assisted-living residence, others that I view will have a standard to uphold.