Marsh's Edge - Saint Simons Island, GA

Marsh's Edge - Saint Simons Island, GA has yet not published prices.

• Long Term Care
  • No Smoking Indoors
  • No Smoking Outdoors
  • Exercise Assistance

Shut it down!

Horrible Heath care center especially the memory care! Terrible staff! They are rude to the residents and only concerned with how to make their jobs easier, not what is best for the residents.

Lorraine

Hello - We appreciate your feedback about our community and we take comments like this very seriously. We'd like to learn more about your concerns, please feel free to reach out to our Executive Director at Marsh's Edge. Thank You.

OUTSTANDING SERVICE

My mother and I went to visit a friend at Marsh's Edge and were very pleased with the excellent care received from her. She was hurting and the nurse assessed her needs right away and took care of her. The nurse aid provided outstanding service by staying with her while the nurse went to get her medicines. This facility is definitely a 5-star place. It is kept clean and everyone at Marsh's Edge works together as a team. I definitely will recommend Marsh's Edge to my friends as this is a place where I would want to live once older.

Hi Ginger,
Thank you very much for the kind words and the 5-Star rating. We strive to make each and every member's stay with us as pleasurable as possible. Our guiding principle 'People First, Always' stands true for our staff as they work tirelessly to assure our community members receive the best care possible We are so happy to have had an opportunity to play a part in the happiness and well-being of your friend.

Taking advantage of elders

My grandparents moved into this facility about three years ago and I have been able to visit several times. My grandfather got a terrible infection after staying in the skilled nursing facility. As an elder care provider, I looked up the ratings for this establishment and was appalled to see that on the ([removed]) website, the skilled nursing section received only 2/5 stars overall and 1/5 stars for a health inspection rating.

After my grandfather was not doing well, someone in management convinced him to sign a document to allow Marsh's edge to auto draft money from their bank account. Shortly after this encounter my grandmother was left solely in charge of their money,

While my grandfather was dying at a hospital, Marsh's Edge charged my grandparents $7,000 for a bed hold in the skilled nursing facility without their knowledge. When confronted, the manager would not give them their money back.

The only reason I gave the facility any stars is because the housing was nice and the location is beautiful. The individual staff members are helpful but the upper management, unfortunately, is very corrupt. We will be looking to move my grandmother out soon.

Lorraine

Thank you for your review. We take complaints and concerns of this nature very seriously and have forwarded your concerns directly onto our Home Office Team for prompt follow-up and investigation. Certainly your experience is inconsistent with the standard of service we provide at Marsh’s Edge. We will be in touch straight away to work with you directly in resolving these concerns. In terms of the rating for our skilled nursing facility, the Federal rating system is based on a 3-year look back period for health inspections and is disproportionately weighted against facilities with fewer beds. (In other words, the number of deficiencies are divided by the number of beds… the larger the facility, the more deficiencies you can incur.) Our community did have a less-than-ideal survey in 2014, but our surveys in 2013 and more importantly, in 2015, were excellent. You’ll also note that our staffing and quality indicators are the highest in the area – both are important factors to consider when choosing a nursing facility. While we understand that you or your loved one may not wish to remain at Marsh’s Edge, we hope this information is helpful in assisting you in your search for a new facility.

Life saver

My father has been in both the skilled nursing floor and the assisted living floor. I could not recommend any place higher than Marshes Edge. The staff is great and he greatly enjoys the food, activities and outings. I visit twice a week and see first hand the excellent service they are providing for so many loved ones. There is no other place I could even consider in this area.

Lorraine

Thank you for your kind words Christy. Our community strives, each and every day, to provide excellent healthcare in a clean, safe environment for our members.

indifferent care in the assisted living unit

My mother was in an apartment at first, then is assisted living, then in the Alzheimer's unit, and finally in the skilled care unit.
The assisted living unit was quite bad, the quality of the food was not acceptable, and the staff terrible. When we went out to eat with my mother in the assisted living unit and it was like we were invisible. We would ask for lunch and sometimes we would get food, sometimes cold, not very good at all, and other times we did not get anything and finally left hungry. The staff there was not even close to acceptable. They were like minimum wage workers making a paycheck.
As she progressed into her disease more and more, she was transferred to the lock down at the Alzheimer's unit. The staff at the Alzheimer's there was excellent. I guess that to work with patents with Alzheimer's , you have to be a caring person. The quality of care was so much better there, it was like night and day. Then in the skilled living, the level of care was magnificent. It was nice to know that the people really cared about my mother. I give the care givers in the Alzheimer's unit and in skilled care my highest rating of A++++!
As to the other levels of care, the staff was mostly indifferent at best. Also the staff seemed to change every week or two. I almost never met with the same people when I went out to a conference.
So if you want a caring environment, you need to be in the Alzheimers unit , or require skilled care at Marshes Edge.

Lorraine

At Marsh's Edge, we take concerns regarding our employees, our services and our community seriously. Our community strives, each and every day, to provide excellent healthcare in a clean, safe environment for our members. If you haven’t done so, we ask that you please reach out to our Executive Director who is aware of your comments. We appreciate you taking the time to address your concerns with a member of our community directly.

Beware of food quality in the assisted living and skilled nursing units

Both of my parents live in the assisted living section of Marshs Edge. Although it is a beautiful setting and the care is better than average the meals for this unit are horrible. The residents consistently complain about the quality. They have been given reassurances often that they will be improving the menu selection and quality but nothing has been done in the last 18 months. Food is served cold soggy and unappealingly. In addition to that the table settings are often missing forks or knives or spoons and it is just a mismatch of what they need. My suggestion to children looking for home for their parents is to look carefully at the quality of food. As this is one of the few remaining enjoyments for people in assisted-living.

Lorraine

We appreciate you taking the time to voice your concerns. We strive to provide high quality services and amenities for all of our members. Our Director of Dining Services and Executive Director are more than happy to discuss your concerns at your earliest convenience.

1st Retirement living experience

A very informative and enjoyable visit to the Marshes Edge. This was our first visit to a retirement community, and we were impressed with the facilities, the friendliness of the residents and staff, the varied purchasing options and the lovely 3 course meal we were served.

This was a very favorable 1st visit and a look into what our future retirement living years could offer. The best may yet be ahead!

Lorraine

Thank you for taking the time to visit our community and leave a review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your meal with us and our staff & residents. Please don't hesitate to call or visit again if you have any additional questions.

would move but have some other issues which prefent us from moving right now

The BREST ! Would recommend it to anyone.

Lorraine

Thank you for sharing your feedback about Marsh's Edge. Our lifestyle advisors are always available to speak with you. We hope that you visit our community again to enjoy a meal or tour.

Happy to Call Marsh's Edge Home

My husband and I are residents of Marsh’s Edge for two reasons:

1) Our children live in the Northeast. We preferred to live in the South and decided we had better find a place that suited us before they had to make the selection for us. Marsh’s Edge had the right combination that encouraged us to move while we were “young!”

2) The concept of “The Weller Life” appealed to us. We find that the various aspects of wellness that are important as we age are integrated into our options for living here at Marsh’s Edge. We can enjoy the indoor pool, exercise programs, poker, ping pong, putting, a monthly men’s prayer breakfast, bridge, rummikub, excursions to historic and culinary sites on St. Simon’s Island and beyond, transportation to the Coastal Symphony of Georgia, markets, banks, lectures by local experts on local history and nutrition. Our new neighbors bring interesting backgrounds- not all have retired yet.

Now in our second year here, we are happy to call this special community, “Home!”

Lorraine

Thank you for leaving a review Christine! We are thrilled to hear that you not only consider Marsh's Edge home, but also are happy to do so.

Definition of Satisfied Client

I moved to Marsh’s Edge a little over a year ago. Ever since my wife died, I started thinking about a senior living community. My daughter loves St. Simons Island and she and her husband plan to retire here this year. I developed a serious health problem shortly before moving here, and it got worse after I moved in. With the help of the residents and the wonderful wellness people, I was referred to excellent medical help. The help and exercise programs here at Marsh’s Edge have resulted in a real improvement in my life both medically and emotionally. Summed up, if you look up “satisfied Client” in the dictionary, you will see my smiling face. The residents and staff, and service people are outstanding, and I am a happy camper.

Lorraine

Thank you, Ralph, for your review. It is wonderful to hear that our staff and exercise programs have helped your life improve both emotionally and medically. We hope to continue to improve the high quality services and amenities that make you a "satisfied client."

Move as soon as you can

We have been living at Marsh’s Edge for 5 months. We had been living in Florida and longed to be closer to our children. They lived in South Carolina. Marsh’s Edge was perfectly situated as it was about hallway from our children and my mother in Florida. We looked at several communities in South Carolina and Florida. The island and community atmosphere really set this community apart. We enjoy golf, fishing, bingo, ping pong and the pool. The aquatic exercise program has done us a ton of good. You can be a part of the wellness program, bridge, rummikub, etc. It is a peace of mind to know that there is always some one here. The staff and the people here are unbelievable. Our advice is to make the move as soon as you can. It is truly important to feel a sense of community. I encourage you to visit during the week. There are so many activities going on. I also encourage visiting the community multiple times. We first visited on a weekend and we saw gentlemen playing ping pong. It instantly felt like home. You get to know everyone very quickly. It is family here. The healthcare options here were a huge factor. It is nice to know that it is there if you need it.

Lorraine

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is wonderful to hear that you and your wife are enjoying the island setting and community lifestyle. We are happy to have you as a part of our Marsh's Edge family.

Joyful, loving ambiance at Marsh's Edge

I came down to visit on the advice of my brother. I grew up here and had been living in Atlanta. I came down on a rainy day and grabbed brochures thinking it would be too expensive. I didn’t really think about it. I felt as though I was going kind of stale. I was ready to downsize. I have the largest porch as I grow a lot of flowers. It is like if someone gets sick and isn’t at dinner, there is a void. There is so much to do. You do not have to do everything or anything but you have so many options. I came down for one visit and then I came down a second time. That sold me. We had our children and our careers. We really only had things. That is simply stuff. Here you have friends and plenty of social events. The retreat is here. They treat you like an angel here. You are family. The ambiance is joyful. The people are from all backgrounds and very interesting. You grow through meeting new members and staff. Everyone goes out of their way to make you feel at home. I am very glad to be here. You never feel lonely. That is so important as you age. Here, you are noticed and loved every day. Love emanates from every corner of this place.

Lorraine

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are so happy that you enjoy everything from the people to the ambiance.

Retirement near family and in vacation destination

My husband and I moved here in October. We were looking for a place that should we have a problem, we would have immediate help. We were looking for independent living so that we could take care of ourselves and have any care that we might need. Over the years, I had looked at a few places. We wanted to stay in this general area. This is a vacation spot for my family and my husband’s family actually lives here. We explored communities nearby and liked this immensely more than anything we saw. We could see friendliness from every front, safety and good healthcare. You do not truly know about a community until you live here, but we have been impressed since moving in. We also enjoyed the RAC which is group of residents that meets regularly with the executives for an exchange of ideas.

The first thing I did was get involved with the Wellness Program from aquatic exercises and aerobic ones including sit and stretch. I have noticed a marked change in my health as my endurance has improved. The classes are spaced throughout the day. You can come down whenever you want. You can easily find your neighbors enjoying the same thing you are. I would encourage anyone looking for a retirement community to enjoy a meal. My husband and I did this with Marsh’s Edge as we did not want to move in without knowing if the food was good. You also get to meet the members. The chef here is very good and we have since moved in.

Lorraine

Thank you for sharing your experience with Marsh's Edge. It is wonderful to hear about the activities you are involved in. We hope that you continue to enjoy your retirement life in a vacation destination.

Feel at home at Marsh's Edge

I wasn’t really searching for a retirement community. My husband and I had been living on St. Simons Island since 1980. My husband had passed a few years ago and I was looking to downsize. I started to look at smaller homes. On a whim, I decided to check out Marsh’s Edge. I had always known that it existed. I came especially at the cottages and actually fell in love with the villas. What appealed was that a lot of the effort in the home was concerned with yard maintenance and upkeep. When I came here and visited, it felt right. If I had the opportunity to move back to my 4,000 sq. ft. home, I wouldn’t. Here all the bills are taken care of and maintenance is a phone call away. I find that I do not write as many checks. I love the smaller space. Almost all of the villas have a water view and a porch. It is just a quiet, peaceful atmosphere. I had a fear that when I moved in I would have trouble meeting people. The people here are wonderful and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. The total care provided here is really reassuring to my children and also to me. If I have health concerns, I know that I will be taken care of. My children when they visit are able to stay in the guest villa. The staff goes out of their way to meet your needs and they do so with a smile. I am involved with the wellness program. I enjoy the exercise classes and the pool. I enjoy the variety of classes. I also take part in the nutrition class. The putting green is wonderful. I also participated in the on-site physical therapy and was impressed by their knowledge and skill. I am continuing to improve after my injury.

At the end of the day, I skipped the small house altogether. My friends were worried that I would feel out of place. I have always felt at home. There are members who are older in age only as they lead active lives. I recently learned to play rummikub. There is always something going on.

Lorraine

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are thrilled to hear that the community is home for you and that you are enjoying the Marsh's Edge lifestyle.

Overall, a good choice for retirement living.

We live in an independent living, very nice cottage. Before moving in, we took advantage of the opportunity to personalize and upgrade, which was expensive but worth it. Amenities include weekly light housekeeping, fitness program, indoor pool, recreational spaces, acceptable meals (we have a specified amount/month that can be spent however we desire, which we think is a good approach). The staff is professional and competent, maintenance of property acceptable. Our fellow residents are great. They, along with our cottage, make this a good, happy place to live. And the fact that residents get priority for assisted living, memory care or skilled nursing (including rehab), should those levels of care become necessary, gives us a feeling of security.

Lorraine

Thank you for your review. We are so happy that you are enjoying life at Marsh's Edge. It certainly seems as though you are taking advantage of all the community has to offer.

You worked hard for years to build up equity in your house. Now you want to enjoy the fruits of your labor by ridding yourself of the burdens of home ownership. Many retirement communities require you to spend your hard earned equity simply to move there.

At Marsh’s Edge, St. Simons Island’s Premier Retirement Community, if you don’t want to, you don’t have to. The choice is yours. You can enjoy all that life has to offer by renting or by investing your money in a refundable occupancy agreement.

From flexible dining dollars, full-service Wellness Center, climate-controlled underground parking, on-site Continuum of Care and healthcare staffed by a Registered Nurse, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, Marsh’s Edge offers a high quality of life at very affordable rates.

With one and two-bedroom apartments and two and three-bedroom single-family cottages, Marsh’s Edge has comfortable home plans for every need or desire. And with 24-hour staff and push button security, you’ll never feel safer in your own home.

Call 912-638-5657 today for an appointment to learn how you can live The Weller Life® living at Marsh’s Edge. Affordable, carefree retirement living with the option of no upfront equity, that’s living the Marsh’s Edge life!