Life's Journey Senior Living - Taylorville, IL

• Transportation
  • Certified Dementia Practioner
  • Full-time Activity Director
  • Full Schedule of Trips, Events and Activities!
  • Recreational & Social Activities
  • Laundry services
  • Memory Care Services
  • Secure Memory Unit

Beware

My mother was here for several months, with many MANY scares occurring. One thing I observed more than once was her unsupervised, eating 2 and 3 slices of pie with her fingers even though she’s on a 1500 calorie a day diet. Also, almost every time I came to visit, my mother didn’t have her cane (ultimately falling a couple weeks ago) and they never called an ambulance or asked the doctor for an X-ray of any kind. The nurse on duty didn’t even know which one of my mothers knees was fake, and didn’t bother to inspect the injury before calling me. She simply stated Your mother fell and I think her knee is possibly out of place. I can tell through her jeans that it looks lop sided but I’m not sure. She then asked which knee had been replaced. Just wow. How do you not know? My mother LIVES THERE.

Another tragedy. My mother has vascular dementia and MUST wear her Cpap at night because without it, the next day her mind is that of a small child that has outbursts. Her cpap averaged 3-4 hours a night which was PROOF that she wasn’t getting enough oxygen to her brain and PROOF that they weren’t placing it properly or checking on it regularly. Instead of fixing this very simple problem, the facility went behind the family’s back and asked the doctor for my mother to be given a sedative for her “behaviors” (medication that we as a family already declined a month prior to this). So rather than do their job and make sure she wears her mask properly at night, they wanted to drug her.

Also, they lost her prosthetic breast more than once, several pairs of glasses, and countless amounts of clothes and jewelry. Yet every time we would ask about these items or ask why my mom didn’t have her cane, workers (particularly [name removed]) would blame my mother for losing or forgetting things, which is completely ludicrous since my mother can’t be held responsible for these items hence the reason YOU as a facility are getting paid $4000 a month to care for her.

Another major issue is they contract their nurses for a few days at a time, so the nurses aren’t employed by life’s journey. For this reason the nurses never get to know the patients, and this came straight from a nurses mouth.

Also, most of the staff here are not CNA’s, they are “resident specialists” who have NOT had the proper training at all (and again, this information came from a nurse). The day we moved my mother out last week, one of the cna’s actually apologized to me on behalf of life’s journey and on behalf of [name removed], who was more than rude every time she blamed my mother for something and showed no bedside manner.

To top it all off I found out that their DON walked out as well because of the mess that is going on.

The straw that broke the camels back for us was that last week my mother swallowed finger nail polish remover, and rather than call poison control they called her doctor (who was already on a log to call back for something else and was extremely busy). Well 45 minutes after I got the call that she swallowed the remover, while I was on my way there (because I live an hour away), I called to speak to [name removed] (director) to see if the doctor called back. He was very flat and almost irritated, and stated that they were still waiting on a call back. I said “Well in a situation like this you should call poison control”. He simply said he’d look into it, and got off of the phone. We moved my mom out of that place that night. During that time I heard 4 stories about what supposedly happened with the finger nail polish remover, but I do know she drank it because someone finally came clean and said they saw her drink it, and that my mom was saying that her throat burned.

This is a long post but it is truly just a few of many MANY incidents that happened at Life’s Journey. Please, PLEASE do not bring your loved ones here.

The good news is that my mother has not had ONE “behavior” since she left! My mother is one of the lucky ones that made it out. I feel sorry for anyone that is still stuck there and their family who mistakenly (just like us) trusted these people.

Day care service

While looking for a community for my mother I initially chose this location because of the day care program. It was a good way for my mother to be more social since she liked to be around other people. She does seem to be making friends there. It has been easily progressive moving her here. I would say that one of the drawbacks that I came across concerns their dietary restrictions. Most older people, they kind of don’t eat what they don’t need where my mother has to opposite issue and she can’t stop eating. I would like for them to keep tabs on her eating. As for the facility itself, they tend to keep everything clean. They do laundry twice a week for their tenants. The food that they serve isn’t necessarily that great. It is close in comparison to school cafeteria type food and they don’t have the fresh factor. They mainly have a set menu that alternates and they bring out the food. They have very limited day to day activities. They do post event calendars on the doors of the residents but I wish they would post these types of things on their webpage, that way other families can be updated. It’s hard to keep them in the know. They do have a lot of people come in like 3 piece bands, school choirs, and they offer some type of church service. They also have a van that would take residents and drive around to get ice cream or just to enjoy the ride.

My Father is Doing very At this Community

My father is doing very well here at this community. Everything has worked out very well for us here. I'am pleased with his move here. I know he is being cared for well at this community. He has adjusted very well to it, and he seems to be happy here.

Care for my father

Kindra was magnificent in all aspects in setting up the care my father needs. She treated my mother with special care during this major transition in her life. The staff have been very caring towards my father. The facility is very comfortable and my father said he likes it after only 2 1/2 weeks.

A nice community!!

The staff interact well with my wife. They seem fairly well trained. I would give the food a 3. They keep the community clean and I would recommend it. They offer a variety of daily activities.

Mother's care

Mother seems to really like it well there . That means everything to me . Keep up the work .

We toured here, it was in my top two.

We toured here, it was in my top two. It is specifically for dementia, and a much smaller, more open environment, than our other top choice. The other place felt a little more familiar to us. This was more of a room, rather than a little apartment.

Life's Journey Senior Living - Taylorville is a unique memory care community. We provide 24 hour nursing and assistance for your loved one with an emphasis on individualized care and attention for all levels of dementia. Our home is split into three unique houses providing a cozy environment which includes; private dining, spacious living rooms with fireplaces, studio apartments, outdoor activity areas including patios, aviary, indoor putting green and gardens.

Our staff to neighbor ratio is what sets us apart from other communities, and when combined with our individualized approaches for all levels of care we feel Life's Journey can offer comfort, acceptance, love and support for the individual and their family.

Activities are scheduled everyday. We provide music entertainment from an outside source at least once a week, we go on weekly outings and one special event outing once a month.