Landow and Ring House - Rockville, MD

Cold Social Worker [name removed]. Uncaring and unknowledgeable about the residents.

Settling in well

This is a really nice community and my mom is very happy here, she has got her room all set up with her own furniture and loves it. Mom is getting to know her way around she is taking part in the activities and they also offer field trips and special events for the residents. Mom's not too keen on the food but she does enjoy going to the dining room with the other residents. I definitely would suggest taking a tour of this community.

Better than expected

My mom is settling in better than we expected at the Landow and Ring House. It is a very nice facility, a bit older, I think they have been talking about refreshing it up a bit. The staff is very friendly and it is easy to communicate with them. The front desk staff is warm and welcoming when we come to visit. The food is okay, my mom can be a bit particular about her food, they could add more variety, but it is hard to please so many people at one place. They offer a lot of activities and my mom is making friends there. There are nice sitting areas outside and a sun room that is very comfortable. It is conveniently located so we can take her out to nearby restaurants. We would definitely recommend Landow and Ring House, in fact, I already have.

Great activity Program!!

My loved one has been very happy with the activities they have provided him at this community. They keep him busy throughout the week and he gets a lot of interaction with the other residents during that time. The housekeeping has done an amazing job at making sure that his room is well maintained and that he remains comfortable in his new living environment.

Cold and Unfriendly

The facility is nice enough but as others have said, it's a cold and unfriendly place. The staff does not follow through on requests. It is rare to have follow-up on an issue or have phone calls returned. For example, in 15 months I could not get a second mail box key issued to us, despite *many* repeated requests. When my father was partially moved out, but still had many items left in his apartment (and was still paying rent), his apartment was entered, his possessions were gone through, the window left open and the door left unlocked. At least one item was missing and at least one other item was broken. Management was notified and I was promised a follow-up but there was none. No explanation, no apology. When my father moved out noone offered their well wishes or even a 'glad to have had you' or a 'sorry to see you go.' The excuse given for the attitude is "well this is independent living, not assisted living," but that does not excuse the coldness and lack of follow-through. One thing is not really management's fault, that is the unfriendliness of the residents. My father is now at Landow, which is assisted living. On top of the additional services that one pays for, Landow is a 1000-times nicer atmosphere. Every single staff member we have dealt with so far is more friendly, responsive and professional.

Not very impressed by cost, lack of closet space and services. My mom wouldn't be eligible for subsidized costs for a while and she would go thru her money a lot faster. I liked all the activities. Kind of like a cruise ship. I'm
Sure it's fine for some but not for my mom.

place is beautiful but the people are cold and social workers did not follow through on giving us all the information

Riing House is clean but residents not that friendly.

Social workers did not follow through even in the first 2 weeks.

Many residents have aids .

Apartments and meals offered are excellent.

cleaning my mother's apartment is supposed to be done every other week and it still has not be done.

i don't know if my mom will stay or if we will switch places,

Ring House

My 95 y.o. mother is in Ring House. I think it is as lovely and well-staffed a place as you could find anywhere. Everyone who lives and works there is very kind and helpful. The fact that the Hirsh Health Center is on site and that there is a marvelous physical and occupational service there, too, is a significant plus. It has activities to interest everyone and art, music, workout facilities and library as well.
The waiters are very pleasant and so is the dining room. The food is kosher , but residents always have a choice of items and it is prepared with the health needs of the elderly in mind.At Ring, breakfasts and dinners are provided every day as part of the fee. There is an onsite cafe open everyday but Saturday which serves excellent coffee, sandwiches, soups and sells snacks and sundries.
The newly redone kitchens and baths are very nice.

One of the most remarkable touches is the on site home care program which allows people to contract for just the services they need ,delivered by warm and caring attendants.

OK but expensive

I can't compare to other places because I have not seen other places. It seems reasonably clean and well-kept. The elderly people drop trash - tissues, small pieces of paper - on the floor and no one picks them up promptly. The decor in the public areas is OK but they recently spent money on an extremely garish and uncomfortable make-over of the lobby, wasting the money of the residents while raising the rents. The units are comfortable and housekeeping services seem OK. The prices are fairly high - $4,080/month for a deluxe one-bedroom, including breakfast and dinner. However, the food is very bland and really not good at all, especially on weekends. The breakfast service is so bad that many people eat breakfast in their apartments. They won't even provide a toaster in the dining room. Lots of activities and the staff seem wonderful. They do have rental assistance for those below a certain income level but it is a high threshold - about $39,000 - and if you make even one dollar more per year, you pay the full price. In other words, it is not a sliding scale. The utility bills are quite high for small apartments. What bothered me the most was how long it took to get someone from security to open my mother's door when she wasn't responding - about 15 minutes. That's ridiculous. They should have the ability to open the apartment doors immediately, 24/7.

Landow is still in the running for Mom.

Landow is still in the running for Mom.