Knollwood Place Apartments - Saint Louis Park, MN

Great Tour!!

I had recently taken a tour of this community for my self and I absolutely loved this place. The staff where on time to my appointment and made sure to answer any questions I had for them in detail. I have made the decision to make the move into this place and start my new adventure at this facility. I liked how the clean the property was and the different packages available to choose from.

poorly-managed, poorly-maintained, and the not very well appointed apartments - much nicer apartments, in much nicer locations, to be found

To say the place is “in need of a little updating” is a gross understatement. The extremely inadequate laundry facilities, located in small closet-like spaces on 3 floors of the 7-floor building, are equipped with ancient washers and dryers that are frequently in need of repair. The machines look like they may have been installed when the building was built 40 years ago. With 153 apartments, and fewer than a dozen working washing machines, the “complementary laundry facilities” are often in-use and unavailable.

The 7 floors and 153 apartments are served by only 2 elevators, one average-sized, and other about half that size. Like the ancient washers and dryers, the 40-year old elevators are also frequently out-of-service. There's no freight elevator in the building, so when one of the 153 apartments is being vacated or someone's moving in, elevator service in the 7-floor and a basement parking garage building is virtually non-existent. Given that the building is filled with elderly residents, many of whom use walkers, the lack of elevator service is not only inconvenient, it's also a significant safety hazard.

Outside the laundry closets, near the elevators, is a small lounge area, with some old, broken down, castaway furniture. The wall opposite the elevators has a bay window overlooking the front of the building and its small, pot-holed, often filled parking lot. At one time, 2 comfortable, reasonably high-quality high back chairs sat in front of the lounge area windows on the 3rd floor. Unfortunately, when the building management, without consulting the residents, decided the chairs were needed elsewhere, they were removed and never replaced. You'd think for a $2000-$3000/month apartment, the least you would get would be a comfortable chair to lounge in while you wait for the clothes to dry.

The “153 beautifully appointed one- and two-bedroom apartment homes” as their website boasts, are furnished with the cheapest of the cheap appliances. Appliances in an apartment rented less than 4 years ago, supposedly new at the time of the rental, have already worn out and had to be replaced. The replacement appliances are the same cheap garbage as the ones replaced.

During the winter months, the outside courtyard receives zero maintenance, and in the summer, trash containers are overflowing, and bird poop-covered benches are encased in overgrown shrubbery. Add the roar from the adjacent highway and it's no wonder the “spacious outdoor patio with gazebo” that “overlooks beautiful Lake L’Chaim” (a drainage ditch for Hwy 169) is not a very pleasant area and receives little use. When the “Lake L'Chaim” fountain finally crapped out after who knows how many years, the drainage ditch become a scum-covered, mosquito-breeding hole filled with stagnant water and was left that way for an entire season before the fountain was finally replaced.

3 years ago, I sent an email to [removed], the only email contact I could find for Knollwood Place Apartments on their website, requesting information about Internet access in the building. I've yet to receive a response. Maybe they're too busy dealing with the high turnover of low-wage staff and overburdened management to get back to me. In the past 3 years, much if not most of the staff have quit and found better jobs. The building is constantly getting new managers, maintenance supervisors, activity directors, drivers, custodians and other staff as workers quit to seek better employment.

The only thing premium about the place is the rent. If you're looking for a place that serves institutional-quality kosher food, including the worst lokshen kugel I've ever tasted, you'll find it at Knollwood Place Apartments – and pay dearly for it. The building is poorly-managed, poorly-maintained, and the not very well appointed apartments are outrageously overpriced. For $2000-$3000/month, there are plenty of much nicer apartments, in much nicer locations, to be found.

Settled Into This Community Nicely

My father has settled into this community quite well. He is doing well, and I'am comfortable with his move to this community. I know he is very safe, and in good hands. He is more than happy with his move here. The food is fabulous. The staff is good, and they do a good job with keeping everything around the community well-kept. I would recommend this community, it is a great community.

Good location with outside opportunities . Price reflects lots of services not needed at this time. No balcony.

In need of updating...

From what I saw on my tour, the Knollwood Place Apartments was very run down and in need of some updating. It had a nursing home feeling to it. It was not as cheery as I was hoping. The people there were all very friendly and helpful. It just was not the right fit for my loved one.

Very nice place

Things have gone very well with Knollwood Place Apartments! It is a nice looking facility, and everyone seems very friendly. I am entirely satisfied.

The best of what we saw personally

I have been pleased, I go there very often, so it's not like a certain time of the day. They try to get all their clients involved in things; if there's something going on after dinner they make a point of going around to all of the tables and saying there's a movie or something and I think you would like it, I'd be happy to come and get you. They do a good job of involving people.
The one thing I guess I would say is, up until now, the residents would go outside and visit, not that it's cold, I think more people go into their rooms and I think that even though they have lots of activities and they have outings and stuff, I think they should still do more. When I would go there after lunch, people were always outside and you can't do that now, so what do you do with people then? A few times a week they'll have bingo and outside activities, but there are a lot of people who don't sign up for things.
It depends on what you're looking for, it depends on what they offer and it depends on the people there. Personally, I think this is a personal thing, what do you want for that person, what do you expect. Are you looking for them to be able to do things, are you looking for people to interact or are you just letting them sit there.

Great Place if You Can Afford It!

Great Place if You Can Afford It!