Affordable Housing In the Heart of Beautiful Cherry Creek!
Kavod Senior Life is conveniently located in beautiful Cherry Creek, within walking distance of the mall, movies and restaurants, and directly on public bus lines. Our 3 affordable complexes, including both independent and assisted living apartments, provide activities that include classes and trips for the mind, exercise for the body, and fellowship for the spirit. Our case managers assist residents with obtaining services, when needed, so that residents may continue living independently. Specific programs include a restaurant-style dinner program, a staffed resident computer center, an RN staffed wellness clinic, and trips to the theatre and casinos.

Our assisted living apartments provide residents with three meals each day, as well as additional help with medications, laundry, housekeeping and personal care.

Kavod Senior Life is a non-sectarian, non-profit retirement hosing community for seniors 62 years of age and those requiring the accessible amenities of a handicapped facility.

Balanced, Honest Resident Opinion

I have lived here, in an independent living apartment, for 3 1/2 years and feel exceedingly blessed to live here! Without the amenities here I would have little or no opportunity for anything approaching this quality of life. There are so many fun and educational opportunities through the Life Enrichment Program that I never can go to all of them.

Off-site events include van transportation. These always cost $4 for the transportation and USUALLY have other costs according to the offering. Many are trips to restaurants.

I especially enjoy the exercise classes in the Health and Wellness Center. There are several exercise machines in the physical-occupational therapy room. We can use them whenever therapists are not using them with patients. I also go there to line dancing and yoga classes when I can.

There is a weekly art class that offers a very professional instructor and free materials. Class members can take pieces home to finish or to dry. I leave mine there, in a locked drawer, because I am always fighting clutter.

During the school year, there is a public school that sends children here to read with seniors. Every participating senior has the same child match for the entire school year. People say the children are sweet and they motivate the adult to keep the weekly commitment whether in the mood or not. It also motivates the children to improve their reading, because someone is giving them one-on-one attention as they read and discuss the topic. That is one activity I would love to participate in, due to my conflicting schedule.

There are various live, professional music performances a few times per month in the dining room. All that entertainment is free, and is very high quality. Some residents dance; others just listen.

Included with provided activities are occasional rides to Motor Vehicles to renew driver's licences or ID's and rides too voting locations.

The public library has a van that comes here every two weeks. Residents can, in advance, request specific items to be brought included on the van.

I have a cousin living in the Denver area; my immediate family lives a few states away. I can get to an outside worship community only when I can get a ride, so my spiritual nurture comes from here also. I am not satisfied with the status quo in this aspect of life, so I am working with a few other residents to improve it. Nevertheless, I do enjoy participating in some of the spiritually-oriented group activities here.

Residents represent a cross-section of society except for age, economic strata and the fact that living here requires a criminal background check. Most of the residents speak fluent English; some of them are bilingual. The second largest group are Russian-speakers. Others speak Spanish, French, Romanian, Asian Languages, Farsi, etc. There is even an International Club, which I want to join for the enrichment value.

The dining room is elegantly decorated on all major holidays. Decor includes cloth table coverings, center pieces, stemware, and often balloon arches between pillars. Sometimes even chairs are decorated. Most of the dining program staff are English-Russian bilingual.

Wine is served to those who want it on many holidays. No one pushes it, and there is an on-site AA meeting. Soft drinks are also available on some holidays.

Residents complain about the meal program not being good-enough, but it is better than it was years ago. This last month it has seemed to me, much, MUCH better than for the past several months. Opinions about this past month vary according to what the complaints were. In general senior citizens are very opinionated. Opinions conflict due to specific health issues and tastes.
Vegetables are almost never seasoned, but residents can bring their own seasonings or take the veggies to their apartments to fix to their own tastes.

The meal program manager has demonstrated the pattern of improving the offerings and service for a while then raising the prices. Right now the meal program is $120 per month, for six meals per week. The price has gone-up three times since I have lived here.

Although the meal program is mandatory, when a resident is too sick or injured to come to the dining room, delivery is free. When she chooses not to come for other reasons, there is a delivery charge.

I am ambulatory, so I have better access to shopping than some residents, without having any relatives to help. There are no affordable dry cleaners within walking distance. This is a problem about once yearly when I need to get a coat cleaned. There are, however, a few van trips to supermarkets every month. Drivers help residents on and off vans and lift grocery bags for them.

To me it is an asset that I live in a community of about 430 seniors, because we don't have to listen to loud parties or boisterous shouting in younger households. The difficult aspect of being segregated by age is that we vary a lot in background and health status. Many have relatives who relieve them of financially-related tasks such as balancing checking account statements, getting to banks or filing tax returns. I do not. Those with outside help don't seem to understand how it is to do it all yourself. Some are even out-of-touch with the rising cost of living. Similarly. most seem to act as though their disabilities are the only ones that should be accommodated.

My only complaint about amenities is regarding the washing machines. They don't automatically give the clothes a second rinse and cannot be programmed to do so. To get my clothing clean enough, I need to run every load through twice. I have spoken with management about this. The final answer was that we are in the middle of a five-year contract with the company who owns and services the machines. Therefore we are "stuck" for about 2.5 years. Again, some residents don't mind because they have relatives who take laundry home to wash for them, or they don't have sensitive noses. $2.25 per load to wash each load twice and dry it.

Trash is picked-up daily, and there are trash shoots on every floor of every building. Items too big to go down the shoots must be brought to the dumpster behind the building. People with mobility limitations usually have difficulty doing this. They need to get help from outside. No staff people do this for residents.

There are computers for common-use, Wi-Fi available, but it does not work well-enough everywhere. Management is trying to improve it.

Postage stamps and laundry change are available for purchase at the office. Residents can have a fax sent for 25 cents. The Rite Aid pharmacy delivers prescriptions to the office with no extra charge. The US postal services leaves packages there that are too large for mail boxes. (Resident mail boxes are indoors.) The Russian-English bilingual office person is especially kind and courteous. She is here only in the mornings.

The office is open 8-5 Monday-Thursday. On Fridays it closes early. It is never open on Saturdays and has reduced hours on Sundays. It is closed on all Jewish holidays, two Christian holidays and all National holidays.

Dish TV is not available. Antennas work well in some apartments depending on which directions windows face.
There is a TV for common use in the west building.

Cable TV-users must deal with Comcast. It has a terrible reputation and is very expensive. I have never heard a good report about its service and honesty. People who want cable keep subscribing because there is no competitor.

There has been a lot of conflict about 2nd hand smoke seeping into areas where smoking is not allowed. It used to be allowed on site in designated areas; now it is not allowed anywhere on site. Smokers sometimes irritate residents and neighbors by smoking on public sidewalks in front of the property and/or on the property of one non-senior apartment complex nearby. Most residents are hoping that - in time- the facility will not rent to smokers at all or that smokers will not want to live here.

Care Coordinators are available for consultation, but it takes days to get an appointment because of the number of residents. The two that have served me are very sweet and helpful. They function as social workers. If not licensed, they at least have formal education and work experience in that field. They generally respond most quickly to emails than to phone calls.

There is an organized Residents Council. Every resident is automatically a member, but only about 30-50 participate regularly. The RC represents residents and strives to address issues of common concern, represents residents to management and recruits regular outside speakers for information and door prizes. RC officers are improving; it has been difficult to get people to serve in office.

Every building has a volunteer building monitor who tries to report all issues within common areas, so that facilities and housekeeping staff can address them promptly.

Building monitors and officers comprise the RC board which plans meetings, etc.

Every resident is responsible for her own apartment cleanliness, but the common-use bathrooms are not always clean. Upholstery in the common areas is professionally cleaned about 2-3 times yearly, but the arms of sofas and chairs are often grimy, because residents don't wash their hands enough.

Most residents have some rent subsidy at the time this is being written. Who knows what the federal government will do to change that. In addition, the Jewish community organizations and a few others donate to specific improvements. The most recently completed big project was construction of the Health and Wellness Center.

(Rents and Meal Program charges are separate transactions.)

A Great Retirement Community in the Hearth of Denver

Allied Jewish Apartments, which just changed their name in 2014 to Kavod Senior Life, is an incredible senior living community right in the heart of the Cherry Creek area of Denver.

We learned of this community through A Place For Mom back in late 2013 and by April 2013, my mother-in-law was all moved in. She's been there ever since and still seems genuinely happy. She's made friends with quite a few of the residents and she seems to always keep herself busy. God-willing, she will be able to enjoy several years there.

Here are the pros and cons of the property:

The pros: Nicely sized and very clean studio and 1-BR units; all building entrances are secure; most of the staff are very friendly and there's a large staff, so you can always get help or answers to questions when you need to; a wealth of no-cost and low-cost senior activities are offered pretty much daily; great amenities like: workout room, large penthouse meeting/gathering area, penthouse wrap-around balcony with incredible views of the city and mountains and a small library; newly installed elevators in one of the buildings; dinner provided 6 days a week; garden area; a wealth of indoor and outdoor sitting areas; an art display area; a gift/small items shop; residents are generally very friendly and welcoming; well maintained landscaping; location is close to a wealth of shopping, restaurants and entertainment; close to RTD bus stops; limited parking; small pets are allowed (for a small fee); on-site health assessments; maintenance is quick to respond to problems;

The cons: Meal plan is mandatory; waiting list for parking can be lengthy;

Overall, I think my mother-in-law truly likes living at Kavod Senior Life, primarily because there is so much to do in and around the property. We are all very thankful that A Place for Mom lead us to this place.

What my mother would say.

My mother told me after just a week at Allied Jewish Apartments she felt that she was at peace and had finally felt at home.

I can tell you from my own experience in my dealings with everyone on the staff at Allied Jewish Apartments, they were all great and caring people.

They expect all residents t...

They expect all residents to eat ALL meals in the cafeteria - I was a little put off by that, as sometimes I would prefer some privacy.

Samantha Walsh

Hello! I am so sorry that you were put off by the dining room. I just wanted to clarify that any resident can get their dinner in a to-do box anytime - whether they just want to eat in their apartment, or they have evening plans and want to use the meal for another time. In assisted living, where there are 3 meals provided per day, we do require that residents eat 2 of them in the dining room --- this is a safety measure to make sure everyone is within our program parameters and being part of the community. Please let us know if you have any additional questions, we are happy to answer them!

We're disappointed in a com...

We're disappointed in a complete lack of communication on the part of this property. They promised to send us an application and haven't.

Samantha Walsh

We are so sorry to hear that you didn't get an application. Please contact our leasing department ([removed]) or tell me how we can contact you and we will make sure to get you an application ASAP!

Mom is currently in this fa...

Mom is currently in this facility and it has been great! With her increasing loss of memory, she is fast approaching the need for a more structured/supervised setting. She is not to that point today, but might need a change within the next few months.

Samantha Walsh

We are so glad your mom is enjoying life at Allied! Please do reach out to your service coordinator to discuss options for your mom -- they should be able to help you navigate that, whether it is our Assisted Living Program or elsewhere.

I really liked the location and the u...

I really liked the location and the units are large enough. The only thing really missing is a patio.

Lots of activities and very friendly....

Lots of activities and very friendly. Close to shopping and parks, but a little far away from my house.

What it lacked in ambiance, it more t...

What it lacked in ambiance, it more than made up for in the available services and amenities. They are re-modeling common areas so that will help with warming up the facility. cost, services, amenities, required meals, safety (check-in and help notifications within apt.) activities, and trips. feels more like a hotel or hospital in the common areas, parking, may be a little too "downtown city" feeling for mom, smoking is allowed, no dishwashers or washer/dryer hookups in the units.

Samantha Walsh

I just wanted to let you know that our community went smoke-free recently! Residents (and staff) can still smoke in designated areas, but apartments and common spaces are smoke free. We are also working at redesigning some of the lobbies and common areas to make them more homey!

ONLY 1 PET ALLOWED

ONLY 1 PET ALLOWED

This place was great! Loved how they...

This place was great! Loved how they only did one mandatory meal, but it was expensive.

Samantha Walsh

Just wanted to let you know that if a resident has trouble affording the meal program (which provides 6 meals a week), there are often subsidies available!