Review of Independence Village

Wonderful place for mom- loving and kindness from all the staff - they treat her like she is their mom. Could not be happier.

Beautiful

Beautiful Community! Friends with several Residents. Staff is great!

Don't want to leave!

I came here reluctantly but now don't want to leave! All the staff are most helpful and kind. Nothing is too much trouble. The other residents are great as well! Great activities including our excellent Sunday movies. Thank you Independence Village leadership!

Brunch

Wonderful Mothers Day brunch!

Beautiful and caring facility.

My mom and dad moved into Independence Village 5 years ago and they could not have chosen a better facility. The facility is beautiful and sits high enough to have gorgeous views of the area. More importantly, the staff is very caring and treats residents with respect. When my father passed two years ago they did everything possible to assist my mother with her loss. They also make residents' family members feel welcome. They take frequent trips for lunch and sightseeing, provide a variety of activities and bring in local entertainers. I highly recommend Independence Village.

Great place in Petoskey

This is a top notch facility in Northern MI. Very nice inside and out. Meals and activities are nice. The community specialist was very friendly and helpful and all the staff seem to love their work.

Great place for your forever home

The people here are wonderful. They are kind and they like to serve others. The food is great and there are many choices. The team that works here love to serve the residents. It is a very warm and inviting community. I would would highly reccomend living here.

I am happy

The staff are great! People who live and work here are honest and fascinating. There are always great conversations. The food is great, I am expanding my culinary tastes. We also have a great dining atmosphere. Plenty of choices and they aim to please. I like the outings available to us.

It is a great place to live

I am a resident here for over 2 years. The staff are great. The people who live and work here are loved ones and have lived fascinating lives. You make great connections with other here. The food is great, I can't cook like that. I am expanding my culinary skills and I love the dining atmosphere. I love to travel and I can't anymore and they bring the world to us. Through travelogues, and having theme dinner's events it opens up the world. We also get out quite a bit with our shuttle service.

Petoskey Independence Village

I am close to the people I live with. Many are friends from the local area that live here. The residents are very friendly and the people who work here are just the nicest people.

Like a Cruise Ship on Land

The Village is active and engaged, with activities all day. We are going to a woodwinds concert today, tomorrow we have trivia and exercise, something for everyone. The dining is like eating on a cruise ship, great unique choices mixed with all time favorites.

Review of Independence Village

Executive Director [name removed], Administrator [name removed], Community [name removed], Chef [name removed], Life enrichment [name removed], housekeeping [name removed], maintenance [name removed] and our new wellness [name removed] - ive been here going on 6 years, these administrators are the best we have ever had, these people make this place. Just outstanding & Excellent workers. Period. Our telephone operators are just excellent!

Review of Independence Village

The reason I like it is because this is my only home until I pass away. I don't have to move again, peace of mind.

Review of Independence Village

I wouldn't make any changes - I love it here! 3 year resident.

Review of Independence Village

I am satisfied, it's convivial.

Review of Independence Village

I like that my apt is cleaned every two weeks. Like the people, like the staff. I don't always like being alone but if I don't want to be I don't have to be - people all around I love our Sunday Service.

Review of Independence Village

Nice people that live here - I enjoy the family atmosphere. Fortunate to be able to live here.

Review of Independence Village

Great place to live, I am a winter resident. The people who live here and work here are great. I am moving to my summer home and then to be nearest to my family. Management does a great job helping us.

Review of Independence Village

Me and my wife like the people - we care about each their voice how we feel. Cooperative friendly, pleasant quick to help, courteous, kind, more when you need them.

Review of Independence Village

I had selected this facility for my spouse in or about 2010 when his health was failing. Since his passing I have split my days/months weeks/years between the village and my primary home.

Review of Independence Village

Staff is great, could use more care staff. Office and desk people are great+friendly. Very comparable facility.

Review of Independence Village

Welcoming, friendly place that provides capable, friendly help to my elderly parents.

Review of Independence Village

Happy tenants, great variety of activities, clean environment, peaceful atmosphere, helpful staff.

Review of Independence Village

Very pleasant staff much to do for tenants. Positive atmosphere, great food choices.

Review of Independence Village

Independence village of Petoskey offers many different activities each day. All types of outings, musical activities, it is pleasant and attractive place to live. Very nice people work here.

Review of Independence Village

Independence Village offers great activities, a great facility, an exceptional dining program and loving attentive staff. It is a great community!

Love living here!

Review of Independence Village

No more yard work! Met lots of nice people living here. Like the team members and department leaders would like to see more musical activities.

Review of Independence Village

Amazing staff whom makes the residents feel at home. Also, the residents are so caring & helpful! :)

Review of Independence Village

I wanted to improve a small platform under the chair in my dad's room - but didn't have any of the tools with me. An inquiry to a housekeeper soon sent [name removed] to the rescue. He set me up with tools and materials to effect the fix i needed. What a supportive staff! I'm glad my dad is living here! [name removed] - is awesome too!

Review of Independence Village

Great place/great activities & service. Friendly people!

Review of Independence Village

I had a short term lease (5 weeks) while having medical treatment. Facility was clean, quiet+comfortable. Employees were welcoming+friendly, greeting residents by name. Residents were also friendly. Meals were varied and of good quality. Plenty of activities were available I would definitely consider another stay if needed.

Review of Independence Village of Petoskey - Petoskey, MI

After visiting other places in Grand Rapids mi. I knew the place was for me. The activities use help plan are wonderful and keep me active and alert. The other people here are fun and great to talk with.

Review of Independence Village of Petoskey - Petoskey, MI

The staff are wonderful! They work hard to create a nice environment for the residents. They are kind, patients, caring and try all the time to help the residents with their needs. I thank everyone for their dedication.

Review of Independence Village of Petoskey - Petoskey, MI

Our [Removed] is a fun real person who gives compassionate caring without any smother love. She gets my concern answered quickly. It is good to see her about the building as she often is. [Removed] is a very good listener who genuinely like what she does and all of us.

Review of Independence Village of Petoskey - Petoskey, MI

Totally caring people. Friendly and competent.

Review of Independence Village of Petoskey - Petoskey, MI

Unique – a northern Mich resort and retirement community area.
There is a “close” “family feeling” between staff and residents and between residents.
Employment potential limited because of location and being a seasonal resort area.

Review of Independence Village of Petoskey - Petoskey, MI

1. [Removed] is our executive director – Excellent.
2. Our telephone operators [Removed] and [Removed] – Excellent
3. [Removed] – Property Admin – Excellent.
4. [Removed] – Lead housekeeper – Excellent and work on days.
5. [Removed] life coordinator and Krystal - Excellent.
6. [Removed] – maintenance – Excellent – The best we ever had.
7. Executive Chef – They are looking for one.
However, workers in the kitchen that are excellent – are [Removed] – cook, head of large and smaller dining room – is [Removed] – both are excellent. Also – cooks – [Removed] are both excellent.
Workers – that are very good. [Removed] (Sewers)
8. Wellness Coordinator – [Removed] – just plain excellent.
Workers under her that are excellent.
[Removed]. She is outstanding. They just do outstanding work – They (All of their) are excellent works.

THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO VOICE MY EXPERIENCES AND CONCERNS WITH THE IV PETOSKEY COMMUNITY.
I HAVE NOTICED AND FELT A LOSS OF HOMEYNESS AND FRIENDLINESS EVER SINCE [Removed] LEFT AS THE DIRECTOR, AND IT REALLY WENT SOUTH WHEN [Removed] TOOK OVER, AND IT HAS NOT GAINED BACK WHAT IT WAS LIKE UNDER THE NEW DIRECTOR, SORRY TO SAY.
ALSO THE ACTIVITY PERSONNEL LEAVES ALOT TO BE DESIRED. WHEN [Removed],AND [Removed] AND [Removed] WERE THERE, I COULD FEEL AND SEE THE CARE AND LOVE THEY HAD FOR EACH RESIDENT AND THOSE WHO WALKED THROUGH THE DOOR. WHEN I CAME FOR A VISIT AND SAW ONE OF THEM, THEY ALWAYS MADE MY DAY WITH A FRIENDLY GREETING AND A HUG. NOT SO NOW!! ! !
I AM SO GRATEFUL THAT [Removed] ARE STILL AT THE FRONT DESK GREETING AND HELPING FOLKS THAT NEED HELP. THEY ALWAYS MAKE ME FEEL WELCOME, AND EVEN CHEF [Removed] IS ALWAYS FRIENDLY.
I KNOW MY FOLKS ARE BEING TAKEN CARE OF AND I AM VERY GRATEFUL FOR THAT BUT AGAIN I DON'T SEE THE PERSONAL CARE, LOVE AND CONCERN FOR THEM THAT I SAW WITH [Removed]. I DON'T SEE THE PERSONNEL TAKING THE TIME TO VISIT WITH THEM ON A ONE TO ONE, NOR DO I SEE THE DIRECTOR OR OTHER STAFF MEMBERS AROUND UNLESS THERE IS SOME KIND OF ACTIVITY GOING ON.
NOW I REALIZE THE OTHER GROUP WAS SPECIAL AND DYNAMIC AND THEY ALL SEEMED TO JELL AS ONE AND WORK FOR THE BETTERMENT OF THE RESIDENTS AS A WHOLE AND I JUST DON'T SEE AND FEEL THAT WITH THIS GROUP.
AT ONE TIME IF I COULD AFFORD IT, I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO LIVE THERE, BUT NOT ANY MORE. WHEN BUSINESS IS PLACED BEFORE THE RESIDENTS--NOT COOL AND NOT GOOD.
I KNOW THIS SOUND NEGATIVE, BUT THIS IS MY PERSPECTIVE EVER SINCE [Removed] LEFT, AND YOU ALL NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME VOICE MY OPINION.

I feel very comfortable here. I have been here nine years. I do wish the dining situation could change for staff and residents. The staff are pushed to the limit to try and serve us in a timely memory.
As our community still a smoke free facility?

Great atmosphere with lots of options for residents to participate in friendly staff.

Independence Village really care about their residence and have many activities bus trips and exercise classes to keep the residence mind and body active. They have loving and caring employees that look after the residence and the front desk is awesome, [Removed] knows all the residence and is very friendly and helpful to them.

Consistent care.
Great location.
Friendly staff.
Residents enjoy being a part of a community.

The desk staff have been so helpful and consistent. We’ve been here nine years and they have a always been the main stay.

[Removed] – She is the most helpful, kind person. She is at the front desk always ready to help you.

I have lived here for 3 years and enjoy the wide range of activities offered and especially the convenience of using the community’s shuttle bus for transportation to these activities.

I am happy to live at Independence Village. I have lived here over 5 years. The staff is always helpful and cheerful. I feel safe and know that help and assistance is close at hand. There is a great variety of activities. Food is mediocre. Apartment cleaning is good and laundry.

It is a nice and friendly community. The staff is greatly kind and the residents are even kinder.

Top notch rating for
Friendliness & staff & residents.
Clean and well kept up interior of building.
Grounds are beautifully landscaped and groomed.
Employees are friendly and good workers.

Very friendly and caring environment. Delicious meals. Elegant and well maintained.

I enjoy living here. With the buses I can go where I need and want to.

Satisfactory for our situation, my husband’s health is fragile so I greatly appreciate the housekeeping services and the meals in the dining room (reasonably healthy food and good companionship).

While there is no place like home this is a very good substitute. The staff are always so pleasant and helpful, in an emergency there is always help. Food is not like good home cooking, but I don’t have to cook it nor clean up. There is always something good to eat. I am happy at this stage of my life to be here and to be with other people.

I am completely satisfied living at this community. Eight years ago I moved here. People here are respectful, kind, thoughtful of our every need. The staff are all caring and make this feel like our home. I can recommend this community to everyone.

My family and I were so impressed! My mother made her decision to move in based on introductions and first impressions, before the tour. I can’t say enough about how fantastic Sydne Mc [Removed] were. They answered all of our questions, put us at ease. Sydne Mc [Removed] could not have been more fantastic! She spent 2 hours with us, giving us a full tour. Wow!

Beautiful Community! Could not be more pleased. I made my mind up to more in right away. [Removed] were wonderful! Also met [Removed] – very helpful, pleasant, positive, and professional.

Very disappointing level of care.
RA’s are untrained, no experience, no health orientation – scary.
Concerns brought to management are deferred to unresponsive Brighton office. No hope.

Erin Kessler

We take the concerns mentioned in your review very seriously. All of our caregivers at Independence Village of Petoskey undergo training and are more than qualified to care for our residents. We would appreciate discussing your concerns further. Please reach out to Sarah Fenton at [removed] at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

I have been very happy living here for the last year. All staff and administration is friendly and helpful. Activities are great and the shuttle service is very convenient. The laundry facilities and gifts from the laundry housekeeper is very nice.

Super Efficient Staff

My parents have made the move to this community, and I do feel comfortable with their move here. They have a super efficient staff at this community. They have really bent over backwards to make my parents feel comfortable. They have been very kind, and caring. There are plenty of activities offered for the residents. This is a lovely community, and I would recommend it.

Beautiful Building, Wonderful Staff

Wonderful Community. My grandmother lived here for almost a year before she passed. Many activities, friendly staff and caregivers. Everyone really cares for the people that live here. I would recommend Independence Village for anyone with elder parents.

I feel safe living here.

Wonderful facility!

How much to offer. Budget complaint is greatly overpriced. All employees are very accommodating. Very hardworking. Food is great most of the time.

My mother has been living at Independence Village for 4 years. We are very happy with the friendly caring atmosphere. From the moment you walk in the door people greet you by name and you feel as though you are part of a family. If there is something the staff feels I need to know there is no hesitation to call me. I feel that my mom is in the right place.

All of the employees of Independence Village in Petoskey are very helpful and professional. If you have a question or concern, they will answer it or get back to you as soon as possible. Also, you will get a smile and a pleasant “hello” whenever they see you. I really appreciate them all.

I am very happy here. Everyone is very friendly and helpful including the administration.

Very good staff. Just wish we had a swimming pool too.

Everything is and has been just great.

1. Great staff – caring, helpful interacting with other staff
and residents.
2. Excellent programs.
3. Promotions within existing staff – win/win for staff and
residents.
4. Input from residents : program, hospitality –
(newcomers, cards for birthdays get well, deaths)
volunteer entertainers.

The employees are friendly and helpful. The grounds are beautifully kept and inviting.
The food is great and I love the menu choices. Many activities and crafts are offered, some “in house” same that require a bus ride.
I have enjoyed living here the last 4 years.

Level on care went from “5 star” to zero with decisions to eliminate knowledgeable care givers. It was obvious that in spring of 2016 a terrible experiment started and all the dedicated, long term, more expensive employees were canned and now minimum wage replacements cannot begin to support these folks much unnecessary suffering prevails at the Petoskey Independence Village.

This is a wonderful community for senior living for my parents! Even though they are mobile and still driving, there are many advantages over having them in their own home.
1. Community / new friends
2. Transportation on bad during days
3. Many varied activities to participants.
4. Confidence that I can leave town and they will be
checked on and I will be informed of any problems.

I am an RN with Vital Care Hospice of Little Bay, Petoskey. I cannot say enough good things about the Independence Village. The staff there are exceptional and treat all their residence seniors with the greatest of care and compassion. Nurse [removed] is amazing and a truly joy to work with. I will continue to recommend the village to everyone.

I am a community nurse for a local home care co. We care for patients in the Independence Village Community. The staff are very friendly! The building is beautiful and the food can’t be beat! I would recommend my family to reside there!!! You are greeted the minute you walk in the door.

Asset to the community and it’s growing senior population.
Continuation of care beneficial.
Manager open to communication with discussing concerns and working in our hospice organization.

They have a beautiful facility, the staff are very cooperative and supportive. It was a pleasure to visit the facility and I have also done a presentation on Hospice here.

We are very happy with the living situation at Independence Village. The care is very good,
1. RAs are so kind and caring, they do a wonderful job.
2. We feel very good having mom here.
3. Everyone is kind, friendly and fun, from front desk staff to kitchen and cleaning staff and administration.
4. The classes and entertainment are great! Pottery, painting, music and more.
5. Everything is clean and pretty.
6. Gardens are beautiful.
We love the special touches the cleaning and laundry staff include! So happy to be here.

I feel blessed to live here.

It is scary to be old and not have anyone around that, cares about my health, pain, or any medical questions. We used to have an RN and Physician’s Assistant and all the aids were CNA’s. They were replaced with people who do not know or care about my miseries. Bad decision.

This has been my home for 7 1/2 years. It is wonderful. The staff is so kind. I have never heard a curse word of scolding. I am comfortable, and free of all stress

Good environment, well maintained. The staff from administration though house keeping are very responsive and pleasant to work with. Food quality and preperation is very good. I have recommended the facilty to others

After searching, I decided to take a tour here immediately, I decided this was the place for me. The food is fine, the apartments complete with room for enough belongings and activities to choose from to keep one active.

Your residents are suffering.
Why don’t you have a health care provider like it says in your ads?
Your residents suffer! I would never recommend.

Erin Kessler

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is through feedback like yours that we can constantly improve and provide better care to the residents, at all of our communities. We are often recognized for our compassionate, attentive and experienced staff members. We are disappointed to read of your experience and would love to put you in contact with Brandi Bandi our Wellness Director at [removed] We care about the details leading to your review and would highly appreciate an opportunity to make things right.

Nice facility.
Management and staff are friendly.
Helpful and professional.

Independence Village of Petoskey - Petoskey, MI

My life has improved since moving to Independence Village because I have more time to relax and to take advantage of resident services and to participate in new organized activities as I choose. What I like best: There's no pressure to participate in activities and the village staff is congenial and very cooperative in fulfilling special requests! I no longer have to grocery shop for my meals. Nor am I concerned with doing my own personal laundry or extra housekeeping duties.

Independence Village of Petoskey - Petoskey, MI

The concern of the residents are usually addressed quickly if possible - many opportunities for enhancement, exercise, and socialization.

Independence Village of Petoskey - Petoskey, MI

Great community with a family feel. Staff is always helpful and there is always something to do! My parents love it here!

Independence Village of Petoskey - Petoskey, MI

This is a great place! Staff is friendly and caring. Food is excellent! Grounds are well kept & pretty. I stayed at 4 other places and choose this one as best!

I believe they do their best to keep us happy. The food is fair as is the entertainment & activities. Management is very cordial & respectful our wishes.

Living at Independence Village in Petoskey – allowed me to meet many people both women & men & my age who have become friends of mine. I have enjoyed helping to plan monthly activities to participate with others and relate to many informed individuals who are guest here.

Visited the community for my mom & dad. It was very nice. When I walked in there was a bus load of people that were returning from a trip to the golf course for lunch. Everyone seemed very happy. I hope my parents choose Independence Village. I know they would be very happy.

For the most part, we are comfortable & enjoy the amenities (laundry, cleaning, dinning services). However, we are not always happy with the menu offering. He feel a dietician/nutritionist) would be a valuable asset. The staff (top to bottom) is friendly & cheerful.

Seems to be working out well so far!

Our loved one has not been here long, but so far things seem to be going well with Independence Village. Our loved one was initially very resistant to moving, but seems to be settling in well here. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the staff have been friendly and helpful.

$2145/studio will change as needs do.

$2145/studio will change as needs do.

Overlooking the stunning Little Traverse Bay, Independence Village of Petoskey offers Independent Living and Enhanced Living services to seniors in the Petoskey community. Residents can enjoy all the freedoms of private, independent living, while we take care of the rest. Continue your day-to-day life while receiving exceptional care with Independence Village of Petoskey.