Independence Hill Retirement Community - San Antonio, TX

Located in the prestigious Stone Oak development, Independence Hill Retirement Community offers resort style living for active adults 55+. Location is everything! Specialty shops, restaurants, churches, hospitals and medical facilities are just minutes away. There are 13 floor plans available. Each are unique and offer a variety of character. Traditional columns, vaulted ceilings, marble fireplaces, built-in bookshelves and an abundance of windows are just a few of the decorative selections. Each floor plan reflects a warm and welcoming setting.

Since 1987 Independence Hill has been known for providing superior services to our residents. There is always so much to do with well-appointed amenities to ensure there's a place for every interest. An extensive activities/social program awaits residents each month. Shopping, day excursions, theater performances, bunco/bridge, fitness and golf privileges at a nearby country club are just a few of the residents' favorites. Independence Hill offers its residents a carefree lifestyle which allows them to enjoy their retirement and focus on friends, family and fun!

• Fitness Center
  • Personal Laundry

We really are impressed with this community. It is clean and the staff are very nice. We love the cottages. Keeping our options open on this one.

nice community, staff have longevity with the company.

Mom moved here earlier this year & the place is great, close to family, lots of amenities to pick from.THANK You to [Removed] of APFM and the staff at Independence Hill. Marvelous

Michelle Houriet Voutour

It is music to our ears to hear our residents and their families are happy with their decision to move in with us! We strive to provide an atmosphere, amenities and services that ensure peace of mind, variety and the feeling of being HOME to our residents. Our ears are always open to suggestions to continue growing in the right direction. We will continue to diligently do whatever it takes to ensure we are relevant and in tune with our residents wants and needs. I appreciate you for taking the time to let us know "how we are doing!" If your mom is happy... so are we! Thank You!

A perfect fit!

My loved one is doing very well at the Independence Hill Retirement Community. She likes everything about it from the food to the cleanliness of the place. We have nothing negative to say.

Very interested

First Take

Instead of Independence Hill we moved into Independence Village. We have only been here a month but everything is as described in the literature. The community is warm and welcoming, the activities are many and cover all aspects of living. The Staff is warm and friendly and more than helpful.

Michelle Houriet Voutour

We are thrilled to know that you found your HOME with us and that you are happy! Our ultimate goal is our residents and members happiness... it is what we strive for in everything that we do. Thank you for choosing to come home to Independence Village and we really appreciate you taking the time to share your positive feelings with the world! Hugs! :)

Great place to live ----

Toured several Senior Living places - liked this one so much, my husband and I moved in - seven years ago. It's a wonderful lifestyle - with capable people to do the hard part - maintenance, house keeping, cooking, transportation - we are free to just relax or enjoy some of the many activities provided - sight seeing trips, shopping, restaurants, fitness programs. It is a lovely way to spend our remaining years

Michelle Houriet Voutour

We look forward to "playing together" for many more years! We are thrilled that you chose to live at Independence Hill and that you continue to be happy with your decision after all these years! Home Sweet Home! :)

Cannot believe there is a better place in San Antonio

I have lived here for over 5 years and cannot think about moving to a different place. For me there are two really important factors, first a caring staff and second a range of activities.
Independence Hill has both of these at the 5 star level.
They have a range of apartments, some in the main building
and some in "cottages" with 12 units per building
I have a cottage and I love the fact they maintain everything.
They do not want me to change a light bulb when one burns out. Another plus is transportation to doctors/stores/local shops.

Michelle Houriet Voutour

5 years of history and many more to go! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your home... Independence Hill! We are happy you are HOME! :)

Happy Find

Wonderful atmosphere, friendly staff always ready to help, congenial residents-great place to spend the rest of my life. Love my airy apartment. Everything you need is here.
Location is ideal -restaurants, businesses, medical facilities within walking distance.
In my case the added bonus of my church right across the street ! Friends can't believe how lucky I am...

Michelle Houriet Voutour

Independence Hill is lucky you found us too! Our team is eager to please for sure... people always ask where we find such great employees to work here... we definitely look at their heart first and this has definitely paid of... as most other things can be taught! Thank you for taking the time to sing our praises! :)

Best in the area

I visited 5 other similar facilities before selecting this one.
It provides everything I had been looking for!!!

Greaaaaaaat Place To Live.

First, the staff is tops. It would be difficult to find better people who care about the residents.
Activities are plentiful and cater to the residents needs and abilities. My wife and I take part very often. Of special note are the exercise classes that cater to the senior's needs and abilities.
The food is good and also plentiful. Food prepared for special occasions and holidays is very good also.
Maintenance is excellent. Problems are addressed almost at once.
My wife and I have been living in Independence Hill going on five years and we are very happy to be here.

Loved one loves it here!

The community at Independence HIll Retirement Community has been wonderful. The community is well kept and clean throughout. Our loved one is enjoying the variety of meals served. The community offers several activities for the residents to enjoy. We are satisfied with the level of care that the staff have been providing our loved one!

Michelle Houriet Voutour

Your loved one is OUR loved one! Thank you for trusting us and allowing us the opportunity. We thrive on our daily interactions and look forward to fun times every single day! Ready or not... it's time to go have some fun! :)

An Enjoyable Community

The main reason I choose this community is because they have a lot of activities and my mom has enjoyed them. She is very happy here and they are on top of things. The staff are welcoming and friendly. The community is clean from what I've seen before. I like that the staff are easy to talk with and they are pleasant. The residents are also pleasant folks.

Michelle Houriet Voutour

We always appreciate feedback from our residents family members! We strive on keeping our residents lives full of opportunities that they enjoy, surrounded by great people in an upbeat atmosphere. We take our time when it comes to finding the right people for our team because we absolutely LOVE our residents! I am glad it shows... Thank you!

Lovely, warm and inviting facility, Dad really liked it! Prices are affordable and apartments have great layouts.

Michelle Houriet Voutour

Thank you for your input and comments. We are eager to please and love to keep everyone busy doing things they really enjoy. Please feel free to call anytime to let us know of any other suggestions you may have to ensure we continue providing the very best to all of our residents always! :)

Happy new resident

I've only been here a few weeks and not had time to take part in the activities, but I will when I get settled in. Everyone I have met is friendly and helpful. Staff members do all they can to accommodate your needs and wants. It's really like being on vacation. No housework, no yard to take care of. The grounds are beautiful and the complex is quiet and secure. Located close to everything and lots of places that deliver stuff right to your door. I think I'll be happy here!

We just moved my mom into Independence Hill yesterday and she has met some wonderful new friends and participated in some of the activities. The food is wonderful and all the other residents are really friendly.

Try it!

Dad has enjoyed living at IH for 3 1/2 years. The staff is the most impressive part of this facility. They are always friendly, helpful, and patient with dad. He also raves about the food and the peaceful environment. Highly recommend it!

I have no complaints.

I've been living here for a little over a month and the experience has been great so far! I'm a bit of an extrovert so i haven't made any friends since I've got friends of my own but they have activities here and the residents really enjoy them. The staff is nice and friendly and they keep the place very clean!

Michelle Houriet Voutour

We are thrilled to know that you are happy here at Independence Hill... even after "the fun of moving" (wink!) and only being here a little over a month. That is great news.Thank you for sharing your thoughts... the happiness of our residents is the reason we do what we do! Welcome Home and Cheers to many great times! :)
~ Michelle Houriet Voutour - Executive Director

Great Facility

I am pleased with the overall service Independence Hill Retirement provides. The facility is great. Our overall experience with them has been great. The entire staff is wonderful. They are caring about the residents. The facility is always clean.

Michelle Houriet Voutour

We are SO thrilled that you chose to call Independence Hill "HOME" and that you are so happy. That is our ultimate goal and we will always strive for your satisfaction in all that we do. We hire people on our team who LOVE PEOPLE... that is why it shows.
We look forward to making great memories together!
~ Michelle Houriet Voutour - Executive Director

Great attitudes

The whole staff here has such a great attitude about things. They are attentive to the residents and accommodating to their needs. The apartments have plenty of amenities and are very nice. The facility is always clean.

Independence Hill Retirement Community has been great. There is nothing they could improve on. It has been an all around good experience. I am pleased with the experience overall.

Don't count on repairs

This started out as a wonderful solution for my step-mother. She was shown a second floor apartment in a cottage. Her concern about having to climb stairs to leave or enter her apartment was met with assurances that the cottages all have elevators and she could use it at any time she felt the need.

Fast forward to April 2015. With no notice, an "Out of Order" sign was taped to the elevator door. No explanation was given, nor was any information as to when the elevator would be repaired. Since that time, numerous spurious excuses have been given; from the elevator is so old there are no parts, to the owner is waiting from the engineering firm to design a panel for the call buttons. No contact from anyone in management has been received for 3 weeks, although I did request status updates.

[removed] I wish we had known that prior to moving my step-mother into the place. For what she pays monthly, the management could have replaced the elevator in May. It's now almost November 2015 and this poor 89 year old who is recovering from a broken hip has to walk up and down stairs covered in bird poop, holding hand rails covered in bird poop, in the rain and cold weather.

Great atmosphere

The atmosphere here is great as soon as you walk in. The staff is very attentive and really seem to care. The activities are often and there is something for everyone. It is also very clean here. Glad we chose this retirement community.

They have been very flexible and accommodating..

My mother in law lives here. I think they are trying to work with her. She has been having some special needs. They have been very flexible and accommodating to her. It would be nice to see more encouragement to make the activities more accessible. I am really pleased with the Independence Hill Retirement Community. I wish I would have placed my mother there. She would have been able to partake in all of the activities.

would recommend was very upbeat guy said he has no problem there rated the over all for property a 5 star rating client rated the cleanliness of the property a 5 star rating said that they have lots and lots of activites there to keep them busy said the care service is a over all 5 star rating as well said the staff is very friendly..

Independence Hill has so much to offer! There are plenty of floorpans to fit anyone's needs and there is extra care if you need it. I was mostly impressed with the staff - everyone there seems to know each other and has worked there a vary log time, so there is stability among the staff. Sheryl took the time to show us different floorpans and they have a program where the residents themselves will open up their homes to tours - which is nice because one can really see how furniture can fit in a unit. She even took us to the assisted living area which was very nice as well. I feel very confident about this place if my dad choses to live here. I would live here!

Thank you for the help. Mom loved the people and atmosphere in this facility

they've been great!

I can't think of anything they could do to improve. The whole process of moving in went exceptionally smooth. They made the transition as easy for us as possible. They have been great!

best place outside of Heaven!

I keep telling people that this is the second best place to be besides Heaven. They will absolutely do anything in the world for you to make you comfortable. My husband fell out in the parking lot one night, and they were right there like a swarm of bees surrounding him to help. Everybody here is so friendly and helpful. I really can't think of anything at all they could do to improve. I have never had one of them say no to me when requesting some help on something.

Delicious Food, Great Activities

We signed our lease last week and have been told the food is delicious. Independent Hill is very clean, and has been updated. We are really excited about the all the different activities they have to offer. The staff is excellent and people are very friendly. A big one is that our church is across the street from this location. As far as value goes, this too is excellent because they provide two meals, and it's one stop shop.

I visited on April 16th. Ve...

I visited on April 16th. Very large community, and very nice. Probably too pricey for us.

really like this one, keep ...

really like this one, keep as a possibiity

Heaven on Earth

My mother and I have toured this place a few times for my Grandparents. We want them to be closer to us and this place is fabulous. Everytime I visit or read something online about Independence Hill it gets better and better everytime. We have talked to some of the residents and the ALL cannot stop saying how much they also LOVE this place. The employees are honest and really caring people and once you are here you have an even bigger family since everyone treats everyone like family. I really hope my Grandparents are not so resistant since I know they would thrive and LOVE it here too. I can't wait for the day they move in.

the size of the apt that had a balcon...

the size of the apt that had a balcony was too small and the bigger one didn’t have a balony. Location/traffic not so good for me.

A strong possibility if we end up sta...

A strong possibility if we end up staying in the SA area. Perfect location for our needs as described in the Pearland area needs.