Greenfield Reflections of Strasburg - Strasburg, VA

Wouldn't place my worst enemy here!

Do NOT put your beloved family member here. This is a "you get what you pay for" facility! Though it may appear from the outside to be OK, once you enter it has a awful odor resembling urine/dirty diaper stinch that sticks to your clothing for hours after leaving. This facility is supposed to be secure and safe for residents with memory loss issues. Well the slide locks they use at the top of doors (other than the front door) will certainly do the trick huh!!? The Fire Marshall had to be informed of their "security" standards, which he remedied immediately by removing the slide locks! The staff, if you are so lucky to find one on a Sunday, is very dismissive, rude and unhelpful overall. Susie(?) a nurse assistant or whatever her "title/credentials" supposedly are, is the worst of them all. She has a "not to be bothered" attitude anytime we've needed assistance. I asked for help getting Dad a cup of coffee to enjoy his home baked cookies we brought for him and she blatantly ignored, was very rude and stalled in her actions to the point I had to ask the young man in the kitchen myself to get it! He was one of the two ONLY kind staff there,[removed]. [removed]. In our opinion, he is not treated with dignity, respect or concern for his care. Which brings me to the point of "The Rights and Responsibilities of Residents" that, by law is to be posted conspicuously. If you are lucky enough to locate where it's posted,(I had to ask a staff member to show me where it is), bring a flashlight and some glasses because it's in a dimly lit hallway typed in small font on old, dingy, papyrus looking paper!! Our intention is to get Dad out of there ASAP but unfortunately, we have to battle with the opinion of other relatives in order to do so. He has been there 2 (two) months now and has lost a lot of weight and appears to look a decade older than he actually is since residing at Reflections of Strasburg. When asked how is the food? He describes it as "typical institution" type fare, not a lot of variety and a common, daily staple is cottage cheese! Do yourself and your beloved relative a favor and scratch this place off your list to check out. Their Administrative staffs behavior is abhorrent, egregious, [removed] and intolerable in our opinion and experience thus far.

Compassionate Care

We visited residential facilities, we visited facilities that had all levels of care, and we found that we felt at home at Reflections of Strasburg. The Executive Director, was so warm and welcoming. Her staff is very caring and compassionate. The biggest bonus for us was allowing my father to enter the facility with his beloved dog. My father’s aid, loves the dog and will bring him treats and gives him a bath when my father has his bath. Everyone at Reflections of Strasburg love dad and his dog and go out of their way to express this. The activities are engaging and the Activities Director, makes sure to invite dad to go on the bus rides and participate in the daily activities. Dad truly seems content and at home here. The staff is so warm and loving and they truly seem to love the residents. I’ve seen staff there on weekends bringing their children in to visit the residents. This warms my heart.

FANTASTIC

wow, what a great place for mom. The family loves it

Janeas Munden

Thank you for the kind words. We are honored to have your mother in our community.

VERY old, limited activities and care questionable

The reviews on the web site for this facility are very misleading. (Of course, any place that posts reviews that are all 5 stars is a bit questionable. Of course, they will post all of the positive ones, but none of the negative.) Regarding the facility itself - it appears clean, but has a very odd smell to it. It is an older facility with not very amenities or common places for the residents to mingle or relax. There is only one garden area which is not an option in the very hot or very cold months of the year.

As far as activities, the place is very small with minimal areas in which to do things and the activities are at a minimum. So, if you are looking to keep your loved one active and engaged, it this isn't the place.

What they call the 'rehab area' is a closed off room with 3 very old looking pieces of equipment that they say is leased by an outside company. If your loved one does need rehab of some sort, I would suggest looking for another option as what is in that room doesn't look like anything that would provide rehab services.

The furniture and decor is VERY outdated and looks as if it was put together with garage sale items thrown into the place just for the sake of having something the in the rooms. There is no rhyme or reason as to the decorating scheme, as if you can call it that at all.

Value - well it is cheaper, but with anything else in life, you get what you pay for. Spend a few extra bucks and go elsewhere.

Staff seemed friendly, but not very engaging with the residents.

Activities were limited at best. They say they try to engage all residents. That is questionable and hard to determine, especially if your loved one cant communicate sufficiently to let you know if they participated or not.

Janeas Munden

Thank you for taking the time to leave this comment about our community. I would like to say first of all that no one at Greenfield has any input into the reviews that are posted on this website. This is an independent site so we are here to receive all comments as they are posted... good, bad or otherwise.

Our community holds a three year license from the Department of Social Services, which is the highest determination that they can give. I am a Registered Nurse and have worked as a consultant in dementia care communities throughout Virginia for more than 20 years. I hold our community and our staff to the highest of standards. Both of my parents have been residents in this Reflections home over the past several years. I believe my parents deserve the very best of care, assume that everyone else feels that way, and operate this community in that regard.

You are right, we are not the fanciest home you will find. No crystal chandeliers or magnificent staircases here. No, you won't find a spa or a billiards room here either. What you will find is an immaculately clean, warm, inviting home. We have a beautiful covered back porch, flower garden, lovely walking path through our green and well manicured back yard. As noted in other reviews posted on this site, our setting is beautiful with trees and mountain views.

We are blessed to have excellent therapist contracted with our community to provide top quality occupational, speech and physical therapy onsite. We are not a nursing home, and we are not a rehab center. We are assisted living with the added bonus of the great therapy team available for our residents, which not all assisted living communities even offer.

Our activity calendar is posted and is followed. This summer we have gone fishing, picnicking, out to see the fireworks, out to baseball games and museums. We have had splash parties, luaus, multiple musical concerts and trips to the ice cream stand! Our Program Coordinator keeps charts on activity participation for each resident in case there are any questions or concerns. And we are fanatics at sending pictures out to families so that they can see the big smiles on their loved ones faces

As no name is attached to your review, I am sorry that I cannot reach out to you personally and address your concerns. I would be happy to do that at any time you might wish to contact me.

Janeas gave a tour of this "memory-care only" facility, the first of this kind that I have seen. It's comforting to know that the entire focus here is memory care. I loved the expansive courtyard and beautiful mountain views. Meeting places within the facility are limited however and there is no real option for bathing, only shower facilities. I see the value of memory care only but am unsure if this is the right fit for my Dad. Janeas' parents both lived/live here so that says a lot about her level of trust in the care here.

Janeas Munden

Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback. While I am very proud of our community and the care that we provide, I understand that every home is not suited to every persons taste or need. I do encourage families to look around and find the community that best suits their individual needs. I am more than happy to help with that search also. Bottom line is that the individual living with dementia is in an environment that allows them to live their life to the fullest. I sincerely wish you the best in your search and invite you to reach out if I can be of help in any way.

Great place

Greenfield Reflections of Strasburg is a great facility to place your loved one. Many activities are provided. The staff is wonderful, and attentive. The meals are well prepared. I noticed the cleanliness on every visit.

Janeas Munden

Thank you for the kind words of support.

Review of Greenfield Reflections of Strasburg - Strasburg, VA

Visited-very nice option for Dad-but Dad only.

Janeas Munden

Thank you for visiting our home. My sincere wishes for you to find the right community for your parents.

Things are going well here

Things are going well here. I do not have any complaints or problems with the facility or the staff.

Janeas Munden

We are so appreciative of the opportunity to serve our residents and families. Thank you for these kind words.

Greenfield has been the best!

Greenfield has been great in helping us to get my mother settled in her new home. They are very attentive to her needs, friendly, professional and accommodating. My husband and I have been very pleased with our decision to go with Greenfield Reflections of Strasburg.

Janeas Munden

It is our pleasure to assist your family. Thank you for the opportunity.

Very good experience

Our experience with Greenfield Reflections of Strasburg has been a very good one! Our search was short notice and somewhat of an emergency and the people here recognized that and did everything they could to help! The director here is wonderful, and very knowledgeable about memory care. It's just a very nice place overall.

Janeas Munden

It is our pleasure to assist your family. thank you for the kind words.

They have just been wonderful in dealing with my father. I am extremely pleased, I couldn't ask for more. He is getting great care. The staff is wonderful and very caring.

Janeas Munden

Thank you for taking the time to leave these kind words. It is our pleasure to assist you and your family.

Caring Staff makes a difference

We could not be more impressed with the care and concern that the staff has provided to our father and our family in the past few weeks. He is a new resident, and his transition from independent living to assisted living has been emotional for all of us. The staff has been so understanding and attentive, and Dad is already improving in all facets of life considering his condition. We are confident that we made the right decision when selecting his new home.

Janeas Munden

Blessings to you and your family. Thank you for the opportunity to assist.

Excellent facility

My mother was very happy there. The staff is very caring and they do an excellent job.

Thank you.

Excellent care and value

I am so pleased that "A Place for Mom" suggested that I visit this facility. I live in NY, where the options for an elderly patient who needs a 2-person assist and has dementia are exceedingly bad and limited and, because mom improved to the point that she was pretty much kicked out of hospice, I had to find a place quickly. The problem was that under NYS rules, she could only go into a skilled nursing facility. We are moving to Virginia, and I was open to considering any facility, regardless of location, that could provide excellent care (preferably at a reasonable cost). This place was ideal. It is a locked facility for dementia, but the patients move about freely. Every time I visit there are group and individual activities in progress. There is a lot of personalized attention and engagement, which is always a challenge for my mom, as she will not initiate anything. I have been very impressed with the staff and the care that they provide.

Janeas Munden

It was our sincere pleasure to care for your mother. Blessings to you and your family.

A Home with Heart and Sunshine

How often have you been welcomed into a family home to delightful sounds of birds singing as a little dog scurries about? And where have you been encouraged to begin an active day with gentle but energizing exercises after a hearty breakfast?

Welcome to Greenfield Reflections, a spacious, airy and peaceful house tailored to the needs of moderate-to-severe memory impaired loved ones. Staff at the big house on a hill overlooking the historic Town of Strasburg gently nudge as many as 40 residents to join in a myriad of daily activities to keep them mentally and physically engaged. Residents also participate in field trips and weekly van rides as well as on-site special events to which family members are invited. Woven into all the fun is a staff attentive to meeting state regulations for hygiene and safety and satisfying daily medical needs which includes dispensing medications at regular intervals and hosting in-house physician visits.

A major attraction is the back porch accessed from the dining room which opens onto the secure backyard with garden and concrete pathway and invites residents to enjoy flowers and vegetables they've planted or catch a little sunshine on a mild day. The porch avails an important opportunity to visit with others or to just be still.

I enjoy inviting others to visit when residential care becomes an imperative. Greenfield Reflections combines quality service with affordable care.

Janeas Munden

Thank you for taking the time to write these kinds words, Ms. E. You did however miss the part about the perky little lady who whirls in and makes us laugh, walks the dogs, feeds the birds, and keeps us all in line! We are blessed to have you in our family. Many thanks!

In our specialized community for seniors with Alzheimer's and other related dementias the staff at Greenfield Reflections of Strasburg provide a safe, secure, warm and stimulating environment.  Our entire home is a secure environment rather than being a small unit tucked into a larger assisted living community.  This is indeed our residents' home and they have free access to all leisure areas, including the beautiful outdoor area with walking paths, vegetable and flower gardens.  Recognizing the special needs of your loved one, Greenfield provides an innovative approach to personalized care while preserving the dignity of each resident.

At Greenfield Reflections of Strasburg we provide care for your loved one and, at the same time, help them maintain their independence. Our beautiful neighborhood-style assisted living community looks and feels like home, ensuring our residents' comfort while we provide the care they need. We offer specialized care for those with dementia, including a full range of social activities (from golfing and fishing to crafting and harp concernts) to keep our residents active and challenged.